gee... i didn't even know that they had such a line out... looks interesting
Old 02-05-05, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, I don't have a list, but here is the link to their website:

http://www.milestonefilms.com/
Old 02-05-05, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to be clear, Image is only the distributor for the discs. Milestone Film and Video is its own company.
Old 02-05-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yes yes....so anyone have any others at least....i know somebody has a few of these
Old 02-06-05, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only one I ever owned was The Woman in the Dunes. Bad transfer, though, so I sold it. It now goes for more than three times what I sold it for! Pus the better looking import is hard to get!

Old 02-06-05, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by slowcloud
The only one I ever owned was The Woman in the Dunes. Bad transfer, though, so I sold it. It now goes for more than three times what I sold it for! Pus the better looking import is hard to get!

FYI: Milestone has said by email that Criterion will be re-releasing this masterpiece, so you might wait before purchasing the excellwnt (but expensive) Japanese version from Asmik.
Old 02-06-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep in mind that a lot of the Milestone stuff was made for laserdisc between 1992-1996, so some of their DVD's are not quite as good as later ones.

However, the 2-disc Phantom of the Opera is one of the best silent film DVD's out there. I think only Criterion's King of Kings and the two TCM Archives releases are of that level of quality.
Old 02-07-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the info guys. Been looking for another source other than Kino for silent films.....looking for good prints. I have phantom and it is amazing....keep em coming

digital bits posted today

In other news today, Milestone has announced that it's going to soon release a newly re-discovered 1922 Rudolph Valantino film on DVD. Beyond the Rocks, which starred Valentino and Gloria Swanson, was thought lost for over 80 years but was recently found by the Nederlanders Filmmuseum in a collection of films left to them by a collector. The DVD will include wire audio recordings of Swanson discussing Valentino, the film's continuity script, a stills gallery, a featurette on the re-discovery and restoration of the film and more.
Old 02-25-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-25-05, 03:06 PM
Cool New Member

Some Milestone Titles...

Here are a few other Milestone releases on DVD:

The Cook & Other Treasures (Buster Keaton)
Stella Maris (/w Mary Pickford, 1918)
Amarilly of Clothes-line Alley (w/ Mary Pickford, 1918)
Daddy-Long-Legs (w/ Mary Pickford, 1919)
The Love Light (w/ Mary Pickford, 1921)
Sparrows (1926)
It (w/ Clara Bow, 1927)
Evangeline (1929)
Tabu (Marnau/Flaherty collaberation, 1931)
The Bat Whispers (Includes the widescreen version, very cool!, 1930)
Tonight or Never (w/ Gloria Swanson, 1931)
Legong: Dance of the Virgins (Includes Gods of Bali & Kliou, the Killer)
The Gay Desperado (1936)
Old 02-25-05, 03:14 PM
Cool New Member

And...

Some more Milestone titles I would eventually like to pick up:

Back to God's Country / Something New (1920)
My Best Girl (1927)
Tess of the Storm Country (1922)
Edge of the World (1938)
Chang: Drama of the Wilderness (1927) <---I really want this one@!

Future Releases (as already mentioned):
Hindle Wakes (Apr. 12)
Little Lord Fauntleroy (Mar. 1)
Piccadilly (Mar. 1)
Old 02-25-05, 03:19 PM
Cool New Member

I generally use the following website for updates on future Milestone releases and other silent fims coming to DVD:

http://www.silentera.com/

It is very informative! Hope that Helps!
Old 02-25-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a copy of Night Tide which has great commentaries with Dennis Hopper and Curtis Harrington. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-25-05, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
Keep in mind that a lot of the Milestone stuff was made for laserdisc between 1992-1996, so some of their DVD's are not quite as good as later ones.

However, the 2-disc Phantom of the Opera is one of the best silent film DVD's out there. I think only Criterion's King of Kings and the two TCM Archives releases are of that level of quality.
I wouldn't argue with the fact that the Phantom release is superb for what it contains, but the transfer has some serious motion artifacting problems (PAL to NTSC related), causing severe "ghosting" when any motion takes place. Really is a shame, because the source material is so good, and the extras make it a must have.
Old 02-25-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Platipus....thank you so much...exactly what i needed...
Old 05-13-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-13-05, 11:04 AM

I have nine DVDs from The Milesone Collection, so I'll give mini-reviews for each.

The Mystery of Picasso: One of the most interesting films about art ever made, though some people find it a bit repetitive. An excellent transfer with nice supplements. (Though the two commentary tracks could have been spliced together, as they occasionally overlap.)

I Am Cuba: A visual delight for fans of cinematography, though you have to be ready to face Kalatozov's (anti-American) propoganda. Another excellent transfer, but no special features, which is a real let-down for a film of this stature. Couldn't they have at least gotten Scorsese to do an Intro? He loves this movie.

Bon Voyage & Aventure Malgache: A must for Hitchcock completists, and interesting in that these French-language shorts foreshadow his later half-hour TV shows. A very early DVD (1998), the image holds up reasonably well, but a newer transfer would be nice. And this is another title that calls out for a solid special feature.

Tabu: F.W. Murnau's final film and one of the last great silents. You can get this with Kino's Murnau collection. Lots of good special features, and a fine transfer. Only drawback: There seems to be a lot of cropping going on. Not sure why....

It Happened Here: Kevin Brownlow and Andrew Mollo's independent classic about an alternative history where the Nazis did invade Britain. A fascinating and chilling movie, and a must for fans of indie films. Considering the original low-budget, the image/sound are about as good as one could hope for. Not terribly impressive, but acceptable.

Winstanley: Brownlow and Mollo's follow-up. More philosophical and talky, but also more cinematically interesting, with an opening battle scene obviously inspired by Eisenstein. Sound/Image quality are much better than It Happened Here, and there's a nice extra: a solid making-of docu It Happened Here Again.

South: Ernest Shackleton and the Endurance Expedition: Arguably the first masterpiece of the documentary genre, the footage was filmed primarily as the Shackleton expedition was going on. Quite a bit of animal footage, but also some incredible images. Also an interesting commentary. However, this is one of Milestone's disappointing PAL-to-NTSC transfers, and there's lots of "ghosting" going on. Go with the BFI version instead.

90 Degrees South: A companion piece to South, this covers the doomed Scott expedition, but it's simply not as interesting as the above-mentioned documentary. I'd say skip it, unless you're really into Arctic exploration. The image is OK -- can't remember any "ghosting" on this one.

Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness: Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack's major success just before King Kong, with an interestingly similar story and style. It's often called a documentary, but it's a docu only insofar as any of Robert Flaherty's movies are. This is a fine film and a fine DVD, with a good commentary by Rudy Behlmer. Pick this one up!

PS: The folks at Milestone have told me over the phone that Cooper and Schoedsack's Grass, which I like even better than Chang, will be re-released this summer. (It's currently out of print.) I'll be picking that one up, too.
Old 05-14-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ambassador. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the post. Great stuff.
Old 05-15-05, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Ambassador. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the post. Great stuff.
Thanks for the welcome, Cameron. I've been reading this forum for a few months and finally got around to joining last month.

And I just felt like praising Milestone's generally fine work. I try to support these quality small labels as much as I can. They so often get (understandably) overshadowed by behemoths like Warner and Criterion.
Old 05-16-05, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-18-05, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ambassador
PS: The folks at Milestone have told me over the phone that Cooper and Schoedsack's Grass, which I like even better than Chang, will be re-released this summer. (It's currently out of print.) I'll be picking that one up, too.
And indeed, Milestone have made good their word -- though a trifle late....

Milestone sent out a press release last week in which they announced that they'll be re-releasing Grass and Chang on November 15. Fans of silent cinema really ought to check out these two early documentaries. They're outstanding!
Old 10-18-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
I know you're comment was intended to just take into account the R1 releases, but I thought I'd mention that Eureka is putting out some incredible stuff in R2 on their Masters of Cinema label.