Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

WS-55807 Overscan problem...HELP!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I have a Mitsubishi WS-55807 HDTV, and I've noticed that the left side of my screen gets cut off JUST a little bit. I notice it on some XBOX games and my Comcast Menu Guide.

I know there is a Service Menu that you can access, but I do not know what does what and HOW DO YOU SAVE the settings in there? If anyone has any ideas please post here or PM me.

I have some codes to get into different menus, just not sure what does what....

Please help, thanks!!!!
Old 02-04-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to HomeTheaterSpot.com and search the Mits forum. If you're patient you should find the codes to enter the service menus and what everything means once you get in there. Since your model is pretty old you'll need to search pretty far back. If you don't feel like searching then you could pay the $25 membership fee and gain access to the tweaks area where everything is laid out for you.

To give you some idea, there are two SMs and for correcting overscan you'll need to bounce between both of them. One is called Def_Jung or defection jungle and is where the course adjustments are for setting the size, shape and linearity of the geometry grid. This menu allows you to cancel out without saving your changes. The other SM adjusts the course positioning of the grid and allows fine convergence adjustments to all three colors which means you can even adjust the green grid that isn't allowed in the user menu. The red and blue grid follow the green since the green is the base to work from. This SM saves all changes as soon as you exit and there is no way to cancel the changes you've made. Before making any changes in either menu you should document all of the original settings in both service menus.

Now to correct geometry and overscan you need a reference. This could be the overscan pattern from Avia, an external mylar grid showing where the internal grid should be or a pattern generator. Since Avia is an SD source if the problem is with your HD input you'll need to use an external grid for HD.
Old 02-05-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, but I really did not want to pay the $25 just to adjust my screen a little bit
Old 02-05-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't fool around with it otherwise. You can permanently screw up the set if you go into the service menus without having detailed instructions.

Besides, the menus also let you straighten out the grid (I'll bet your advanced convergence grid lines are *not* straight around the screen!) The $25 is well worth it IMO.
Old 02-05-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like DrMoze says you can either do it without the proper instructions and run the risk of screwing it up big time or pay a pro a whole lot more that $25 to do it for you. Without the proper instructions you won't know what he limits are to avoid when you adjust the settings. If you go beyond these limits you can seriously damage the set.
Old 02-05-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And believe it ornot,fromall reports some of theflubs you can do withthe service menus are NOT reversible. Imeantit when I said 'permanently'!

BTW, good choices on the bigscreens. I have the Mitsu 65819. Used tips from the htspot to fix up my overscan and grid linearity, plus a few other tweaks (in additionto the standard set-up disk stuff). It looks amazing now, esp. HD (and esp. DiscoveryHD!). And many folks will be enjoying it during the Bowl tomorrow. $^)