Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Notebook"Review... very poorly written

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say I am normally impressed with many of the reviwers and their wonderful reviews on this site. Being a man of movies and cinema, I appreciate many of the great reviews I have read here. Until now. After reading "The Notebook" review I was completely astonished by not only how poorly it was written but the lack of effor the reviwer made when examining the film's major aspects such as Audio/Video. This is not an attack on the reviwer, but I think that review needed more thought put into it.
Old 02-04-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalvin
I was completely astonished by not only how poorly it was written but the lack of effor the reviwer made
Ah irony, thy name is Dalvin.
Old 02-04-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ironic as it may be, I don't remember seeing Dalvin saying he was a reviewer.
Old 02-09-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dalvin
After reading "The Notebook" review I was completely astonished by not only how poorly it was written but the lack of effor the reviwer made when examining the film's major aspects such as Audio/Video.
I'm not sure which review you mean - there were two written for that movie. Moreover, they both appear to be quite well-written (and similar in scope and level of detail.)

Both reviews focus on the quality of the movie. Arguably, that's appropriate for reviews of movies that most readers haven't heard of before, including this one.

Both reviews are scant on detail about audio and video presentation - but I think both summaries are quite adequate in this regard (2-3 paragraphs on each topic.) This is a chick flick, not The Matrix - it's not the kind of DVD you'd use to demo your home theatre setup. I think adding more detail on these topics would only bore most readers.

Finally, both reviews go the extra mile with some nice discussion of extras.

So I'm not sure what prompted your comment, Dalvin - care to elaborate?

- David Stein
Old 02-11-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe what Dalvin meant to say is "'The Notebook' screenplay...very poorly written." Or more probably that Nicholas Sparks can't write. I'd certainly have to agree with that.

But in all seriousness, I occasionally also read reviews on DVD Talk that I think are poorly (sometimes egregiously) written and/or underinformative. However, out of consideration for the feelings of the reviewer(s) concerned, I would never publicly cite a specific example. After all, most of these folks are hobbyists and not paid professionals, so I figure we can cut them the slack.

Last edited by Sex Fiend; 02-11-05 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-11-05, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
out of consideration for the feelings of the reviewer(s) concerned, I would never publicly cite a specific example.
I'm one of the newer reviewers around here, but I'd say these guys have pretty thick skins....don't be afraid to point out problems you found in a review, especially factual...it helps any writer improve (some of us are working journalists....heck, mistakes are a frustrating part of everyday life!)

Now, if you just disagree with a reviewer's take on a film, well, can't do anything about that :-)