DVD Talk
What's the easiest way to transfer Video 8 film to my PC? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What's the easiest way to transfer Video 8 film to my PC?

criptik28
02-04-05, 02:24 PM
I have a bunch of old family gatherings shot on my Video 8 (Sony HandyCam). How can I transfer them to my PC (e.g. .avi, .wmv, .mpg format)? Is that even possible?

Thanks in advance!

Chrisedge
02-04-05, 04:02 PM
Get a Digital8 camcorder (borrow, rent, buy) that can play back 8mm and Hi8 tapes, connect via firewire to the computer...done.

DRG
02-04-05, 06:34 PM
^ That's definitely the easiest way.

You could also get a video capture card, or if you were *really* tight on money, an external video capture device like a Dazzle. But those are not very good, so I wouldn't recommend that.

criptik28
02-04-05, 10:59 PM
Guess I'll have to find someone with a digital camera then. Thanks! :)

Epilady
02-05-05, 03:14 AM
I purchased a ADS Technologies PYRO A/V Link which was very simple to use to transfer my VHS-C tapes to digital format on my computer.
Features

Preserve home movies: Make personalized and professional home movies, and save them to a medium that will last.

Capture video:Connect to your computer's FireWire port and capture video from your DV camcorder, or convert analog video to DV format. You can even convert between devices (from DV to analog/analog to DV) without a computer.

Edit and add effects: Use the powerful DV-compatible editing software to create personalized projects.

Publish: Record movies to VHS, CD or DVD.

Easy to use: Just plug it into your PC's FireWire port to start creating high-quality home movies

I was very happy with the results. I used the device to capture and used Windows Movie Maker to edit the movies and Sonic's MYDVD to burn them onto dvd format.

Now, if I can only figure out how to transfer my old reel to reel super 8's to my computer, I'll be happy :)

criptik28
02-05-05, 05:49 AM
What is that, just a cable? Or something fancier?

Epilady
02-05-05, 06:42 PM
What is that, just a cable? Or something fancier?
No, it's more like a box with various hookups. The front side has an S-Video in, RCA Video In, Left Audio In, Right Audio In and a 4-pin DV in. Back side has a 1394 Firewire, R Audio Out, L Audio Out, Video Out, S-Video Out and Component Video Input/Output (ie, red-blue-green)