Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

why do people buy Fullscreen?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-03-05, 02:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I was in Best Buy on Tuesday, and I found simply incredulous that Best Buy had sold out of their full-screen versions of Ray - what gives? I didn't realize there is such a large population of DVD buyers who will simply not buy a widescreen version of a film. Granted it's not a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, this movie really isn't as wide as some. It happens every week practically, a lot bitching over 'oh I don't like them black bars', 'I'm missing the picture!' etc. I would very interested in knowing what the purchasing ratio of Ray is: fullscreen to widescreen.

When King Arthur was released. it was the same thing, the guy behind the new release table was barraged with customers requesting the fullscreen version - I just stood back and watch dumbfounded.
Old 02-03-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
To quote Devo:

"Don’t be tricked by what you see
You got two ways to go

I’ll say it again in the land of the free
Use your freedom of choice
Freedom of choice!"
Old 02-03-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They will be surprised when they get a widescreen TV. Do we really need another fullscreen vs widescreen thread?
Old 02-03-05, 02:13 PM

no, sorry we don't... it was just annoying that so many people were asking for the fullscreen versions of Ray, and that it sold out, and that widescreen seems to be unfavoured by a long shot.
Old 02-03-05, 02:20 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People are just dumb and I guess rather see less of the movie.
Old 02-03-05, 02:20 PM

Now that I have a widescreen tv I really enjoy watching movies in their native format. But if I still had my 19 inch regular tv, I would go for the full screen version simply because my eyesight is so poor that I would not be able to enjoy the widescreen version on that size of screen. Maybe if I had 20/20 vision I would feel differently.
The bars at the top and bottom never bothered me, it was how small everything looked in widescreen on a 4:3 tv display that I found irritating.
Old 02-03-05, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ahab
Now that I have a widescreen tv I really enjoy watching movies in their native format. But if I still had my 19 inch regular tv, I would go for the full screen version simply because my eyesight is so poor that I would not be able to enjoy the widescreen version on that size of screen. Maybe if I had 20/20 vision I would feel differently.
The bars at the top and bottom never bothered me, it was how small everything looked in widescreen on a 4:3 tv display that I found irritating.
I agree that some widescreen films work for better or worse on different monitors/TVs - I should know, I own both a 32' TV and a 13' TV on the first floor, however, since most DVD players have a zoom feature, I'll use it (yeah I know - hypocrite) - it's great for the 13' tv, but on the whole I'll always favour the OAR DVD edition.
Old 02-03-05, 02:33 PM

I actually like that it doesn't chop off the top or bottom. I own a big screen I might as well use all of it.
Old 02-03-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Alas, there are the majority out there who have always been weaned on watching movies on TV, thinking that everything is filmed like that (i.e., the picture is supposed to fill up the screeen completely). I really don't understand what they don't "get" about widescreen. I feel referring to the "black bars" as misleading in itself. It's the unused part of the screen!

I feel it's also a demographic issue. When I observe people's buying habits, I can't help but notice that certain groups of people just seem to go automatically for fullscreen. I get annoyed that studios even release fullscreen in the first place. I had hoped DVD would have been the final be all, end all format for movies to be finally seen as they were intended. Even so, I notice people I know who aren't really DVD saavy just pick up any movie without bothering to check which version they have. As a result, their libraries are slightly erratic, with both widescreen and fullscreen.

If I was the director supervising the transfer of my film to DVD and was forced to have a P&S version, I would deliberately keep the action on the insignificant areas (like the backs of heads during a conversation, or parts of the cinematography where you just hear voices talking, but none of the actors are visible on-screen. That'll learn those consumers. )

I might be remembering this wrong, but didn't Ben-Hur have some kind of big problem when it was released on VHS many years ago? I think the entire movie was P&S, except for the chariot race sequence. A lot of people returned their copy thinking it was defective.
Old 02-03-05, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by neiname
I actually like that it doesn't chop off the top or bottom. I own a big screen I might as well use all of it.
You're joking, right?

I own a 4:3 TV, but I don't it cutting off the sides of my movies.
Old 02-03-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
no, sorry we don't... it was just annoying that so many people were asking for the fullscreen versions of Ray, and that it sold out, and that widescreen seems to be unfavoured by a long shot.
It may have seemed that way at that particular moment at that particular store... but sales figures show that widescreen is still the prefered format, by far.

On major titles where there are separate fullscreen/widescreen editions available, the WS always outsells the FS. Often by a pretty huge margain.

But, as is often mentioned in these threads, it ultimately doesn't matter. The days of fullscreen-only releases are clearly over. Frankly, with only a very few exceptions, they never really began on DVD. Original aspect ratio is the norm on 99% of releases. If a studio feels they will squeeze out a few extra bucks to individuals who need their 4:3 TVs "filled up" by selling a FS edition... fine by me.
Old 02-03-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, anyone who would ever watch fullscreen MUST be an uneducated moron, barely capable of tying their own shoes.
Old 02-03-05, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eplicon
I might be remembering this wrong, but didn't Ben-Hur have some kind of big problem when it was released on VHS many years ago? I think the entire movie was P&S, except for the chariot race sequence. A lot of people returned their copy thinking it was defective.
I remember seeing a copy of the war film, "Cross of Iron" like that. Kept swapping back and forth between FS and WS during certain scenes. Battle scenes were shown in WS while non-battle dialogue driven scenes were shown in FS.
Old 02-03-05, 02:50 PM

Fullscreen rules. I never did understand why people want to watch a small picture with big black bars.Fullscreen is just so much better.A t.v. is susposed to be used to the fullest not half of the screen being used.
Old 02-03-05, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eplicon

I feel it's also a demographic issue. When I observe people's buying habits, I can't help but notice that certain groups of people just seem to go automatically for fullscreen. I get annoyed that studios even release fullscreen in the first place. I had hoped DVD would have been the final be all, end all format for movies to be finally seen as they were intended. Even so, I notice people I know who aren't really DVD saavy just pick up any movie without bothering to check which version they have. As a result, their libraries are slightly erratic, with both widescreen and fullscreen.
It's interesting that you should bring this up, since with the customers at the Best Buy here in DC, it quite frankly is a demographic and dare say a racial issue. However, it's the a very distinct group of people who know the difference between widescreen and fullscreen and are very vocal in wanting only the fullscreen version.

One instance, the King Arthur release, one customer only wanted the fullscreen version, I explained though the unrated version, while it was longer and contained more violent footage was only in widescreen he relinquished and bought the widescreen. Hope he's happy.
Old 02-03-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
yeah, anyone who would ever watch fullscreen MUST be an uneducated moron, barely capable of tying their own shoes.
I've certainly found this to be true. They usually wear loafers or other slipons, so people don't notice as easily.
Old 02-03-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If 'moviesaregreat' is not joking (which I presume he is), he must be a child (especially taking into account his lack of grammar). His name would also be quite a contradiction.
Old 02-03-05, 03:03 PM

UM no Nate I am not joking. Fullscreen is alot better then widescreen I just have always felt that way. And by the way I am not a child im 18 years old.
Old 02-03-05, 03:12 PM
Banned

I was in Best Buy on Tuesday, and I found simply incredulous that Best Buy had sold out of their full-screen versions of Ray - what gives? I didn't realize there is such a large population of DVD buyers who will simply not buy a widescreen version of a film. Granted it's not a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, this movie really isn't as wide as some. It happens every week practically, a lot bitching over 'oh I don't like them black bars', 'I'm missing the picture!' etc. I would very interested in knowing what the purchasing ratio of Ray is: fullscreen to widescreen.

When King Arthur was released. it was the same thing, the guy behind the new release table was barraged with customers requesting the fullscreen version - I just stood back and watch dumbfounded.
This is when we need an army of people wearing T-shirts with a 4:3 image on the front with the words FULLSCREN SUCKS with the appropriate portion cut off, and then on the back the words, This T-Shirt has been re-formatted to fit your lack of intellect and taste..
Old 02-03-05, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
You're joking, right?

I own a 4:3 TV, but I don't it cutting off the sides of my movies.

XXXXXXXXXX
P I C T U R E
P I C T U R E
P I C T U R E
XXXXXXXXXX

or

I C T U R
I C T U R
I C T U R
I C T U R
I C T U R

The choice is clear, isn't it?
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
- I should know, I own both a 32' TV and a 13' TV on the first floor
You must have one big-ass house

If widescreen is as good as most of you say, then how come every t.v. show is still in fullscreen.You people must not watch t.v. right because it's in fullscreen and fullscreen sucks right.
Old 02-03-05, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moviesaregreat
UM no Nate I am not joking. Fullscreen is alot better then widescreen I just have always felt that way. And by the way I am not a child im 18 years old.
You're 18 and you're not a child? Hmmm...they must've lowered the adult age over night.

But anyway...

Let's assume what you say is your honest to God opinion. So explain WHY Fullscreen is better than Widescreen, then. I'm sure we'd all love to hear this...

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 02-03-05 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

-notrolls-
Old 02-03-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by moviesaregreat
If widescreen is as good as most of you say, then how come every t.v. show is still in fullscreen.You people must not watch t.v. right because it's in fullscreen and fullscreen sucks right.
Every tv show is not still in fullscreen.Alias,24,CSI,etc etc are all in widescreen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.