Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

CONFIRMED: Star Trek: Enterprise cancelled.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Word is out at UPN. The crappy numbers from last Friday must've sealed its doom.

Last edited by Fielding Mellish; 02-02-05 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although hardly unexpected, I believe this announcement comes after the season's final script has been written? If so, Enterprise won't be able to end on a proper "series finale" note and that would be pretty disappointing.

Too bad Coto couldn't of been the show runner from year 2.
Old 02-02-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
If so, Enterprise won't be able to end on a proper "series finale" note and that would be pretty disappointing.
I guess if they were trying to emulate TOS, they succeeded.

I wish they had just pulled the plug last season before they teased us with a decent S4.
Old 02-02-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hold the phone, site admin on the Shatner board says different:

http://www.williamshatner.com/module...wtopic&t=15138

Got some conflicting info today that the rumour may be a good Hollywood hoax.

So for now I've removed it because we don't want to be the spreaders of false news.

Any more updates and I'll let you know but for now - let's just simmer down.
Enterprise being canceled might end up being the "we got al-Zarqawi" of the TV world.

Last edited by Chew; 02-02-05 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 01:06 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a way I'm hoping this show does get cancelled so they can start working on a better one.
Old 02-02-05, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
In a way I'm hoping this show does get cancelled so they can start working on a better one.
yeah..it's that simple.

One option i've read is going into first run syndication. I don't know what UPN expects...this show is their highest rated drama.
Old 02-02-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hey if they get rid of smackdown..... then UPN needs an annema
Old 02-02-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I guarantee you any decision on Enterprise will come AFTER the release of the first season on DVD in May. Paramount wants to see what kinds of sales numbers those DVDs have and what, if any, impact it might have on future viewership of the show.

That being said, I'll also say there's only about a one in four shot ENTERPRISE will be back in the fall.
Old 02-02-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I guarantee you any decision on Enterprise will come AFTER the release of the first season on DVD in May.
I'll take that bet.

EDIT: More confirmation that this ain't another hoax, folks.

AND THE FINAL WORD FROM PARAMOUNT.

Last edited by Fielding Mellish; 02-02-05 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup:

Star Trek: Enterprise will come to an end following the airing of an as yet untitled series finale on May the 13th, 2005.

UPN and Paramount today jointly announced the show's cancellation. "Star Trek has been an important part of UPN's history, and Enterprise has carried on the tradition of its predecessors with great distinction," UPN Entertainment president Dawn Ostroff said. "We'd like to thank Rick Berman, Brannon Braga and an incredibly talented cast for creating an engaging, new dimension to the Star Trek universe on UPN, and we look forward to working with them, and our partners at Paramount Network Television, on a send-off that salutes its contributions to The Network and satisfies its loyal viewers."

Paramount Network Television president David Stapf added, "The creators, stars and crew of Star Trek: Enterprise ambitiously and proudly upheld the fine traditions of the Star Trek franchise. We are grateful for their contributions to the legacy of Trek and commend them on completing nearly 100 exciting, dramatic and visually stunning episodes. All of us at Paramount warmly bid goodbye to Enterprise, and we all look forward to a new chapter of this enduring franchise in the future."

TrekToday sources report that CBS president Les Moonves himself yesterday reached the decision to pull the plug on Enterprise. Most Enterprise crew members only found out about their show's cancellation this morning.

Enterprise only barely qualified for renewal a year ago, but was given a final chance by UPN to prove itself after Paramount agreed to drastically cut the show's license fee. The show underwent several major changes this year, including a move from Wednesday night to Friday and the appointment of new showrunner Manny Coto, but the most important thing didn't change - the show's low ratings. Last week, "Babel One" set a new series low for Enterprise, attracting just over 2.5 million viewers.

No official details have yet been released for the final episode of the series, beyond the fact it will be written by Enterprise creators Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. Recently, Paramount was rumoured to be in negotiations with Jonathan Frakes (William T. Riker) and Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) for a guest appearance on the final episode (story), although Sirtis has since denied this (story).

Although UPN has now officially decided to not bring back Enterprise for a fifth season, two fan campaigns are still working to try and change the network's mind. SaveEnterprise.com and the Enterprise Project have combined to form EnterpriseFans.com, an organisation trying to raise money to promote Enterprise with an ad in USA Today.
http://www.trektoday.com/news/020205_04.shtml

I think all the talk about Battlestar Galactica beating it in the ratings on a weekly basis was just about the final nail.

Last edited by Chew; 02-02-05 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They had to cancel it, the scripts were getting too good. That caused concern at Paramount that the bar would be set too high.
Old 02-02-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We are sorrowed by their contributions to the legacy of Trek but commend them on completing nearly 7 exciting, dramatic and visually stunning episodes.
Fixed.

I have a feeling this is going to spell the death of televised Trek for a long time. Although perhaps they'll give JMS a shot at his Trek proposal.
Old 02-02-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Fixed.

I have a feeling this is going to spell the death of televised Trek for a long time. Although perhaps they'll give JMS a shot at his Trek proposal.
I haven't heard or read about anything in the pipeline, so I tend to beleive you are right. If anybody has info about the future of the franchise, I'd be curious to hear.
Old 02-02-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I guarantee you any decision on Enterprise will come AFTER the release of the first season on DVD in May. Paramount wants to see what kinds of sales numbers those DVDs have and what, if any, impact it might have on future viewership of the show.

That being said, I'll also say there's only about a one in four shot ENTERPRISE will be back in the fall.
As a die-hard Star Trek fan, I have bought the entire original series on DVD (twice), all 7 seasons of TNG and DS9, and even all seven seasons of Voyager. I will absolutely not be buying any seasons of Enterprise. If that says anything.

My loyalty to the franchise officially ended with this series. I have a hard enough time slogging through this show on my Tivo, I can't imagine spending my hard-earned money on it.
Old 02-02-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I have a feeling this is going to spell the death of televised Trek for a long time.

I see that as a positive. It needs a break. Star Trek didn't die in the 70s, when its popularity was far smaller. It certainly won't die in the '00s if Paramount takes a 5 year or longer break.
Old 02-02-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew

I think all the talk about Battlestar Galactica beating it in the ratings on a weekly basis was just about the final nail.
While it's unfortunate that Enterprise is being cancelled just when it's getting good, it's kind of nice to see Ron Moore give a decent "fuck you" to B&B and the Trek franchise.
Old 02-02-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well this sucks. They haven't started filming the last three episodes so there's time to write a finale.
Old 02-02-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I see that as a positive. It needs a break. Star Trek didn't die in the 70s, when its popularity was far smaller. It certainly won't die in the '00s if Paramount takes a 5 year or longer break.
I agree, unless they give the go-ahead to JMS's proposal. They definitely should not start production on a new series just to have one on. That mentality gave us Voyager and Enterprise.
Old 02-02-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

DNR. Please, I beg you, for the sake of all of us who truly love Trek ... D-N-R.

das
Old 02-02-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
...it's kind of nice to see Ron Moore give a decent "fuck you" to B&B and the Trek franchise.
PREACH ON!
Old 02-02-05, 03:59 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

They'll proably never pay for it, but somehow, UPN has got to get Shatner in there for the finale. Better yet, have some freaky, multi-time continuum thing (a-la the TNG finale) and have Shatner, Picard, Janeway all there.....
Old 02-02-05, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
While it's unfortunate that Enterprise is being cancelled just when it's getting good, it's kind of nice to see Ron Moore give a decent "fuck you" to B&B and the Trek franchise.

Hey I'm curious what is the history between Ron Moore and B&B did they part on bad terms? And I have to agree the cancellation of this show was along time in coming.
Old 02-02-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Here's hoping that B&B have no more Trek in their future.
Old 02-02-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
so it finally starts getting good, and starts getting back on the track they promised from before the show even had a pilot, and they cancel it
fucking morons
Old 02-02-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Spyder
Hey I'm curious what is the history between Ron Moore and B&B did they part on bad terms?
Unless I'm misremembering: Moore was hired for Voyager after DS9 was done, and had lots of great ideas, but B&B were detirmined to keep the show craptastic for UPN. They parted ways, citing "creative differences" almost immediately.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.