Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Way To Know If DVD Is 2nd or Later Pressing/Release/Re-release ?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-02-05, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know if this is the right forum and apologize in advance if not. This may sound like a crazy question but after reading about re-releases and stuff I got to thinking, worrying, wondering if I may be missing out on something.

Is there a way to tell if a DVD or box set, etc. is in its second or later pressing by looking at the case/box itself ? Reading the description of included features does not always work (e.g. ST:Generations SE).

For example, ST:Generations SE came out with the case saying trailers were included, but they were not and recalled to be relabeled - so some case have the description and some do not.

Back to the Future is another - the corrected versions are supposed to have a sticker on them saying "lowest price yet" but that could be placed on old stock too. And not mentioned on the case is the chapter insert NOT included in the corrected re-releases.

Twilight Zone Definitive Season 1 currently has the a booklet included which makes it a higher price than Season 2 will be. But I have heard that later pressings/releases of Season 1 will NOT include the booklet (which is available separately I understand).

The issue/question I have is how to tell the difference between them when they can be sitting side by side on the shelves and a dummy like me may not know there is a difference between pressings/releases or even if I did would not know what to look for to get the right one, without opening it (then non-returnable).

The UPC may even be the same, I do not know.

Is there any way to tell or is it just a pig in a poke -- you may get lucky.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by forumsmy
The UPC may even be the same, I do not know.
The UPC's are likely to be different.
Old 02-04-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cupon
The UPC's are likely to be different.
It may be likely, but it certainly isn't true in all cases. AFAIK the corrected sets of BTTF have the same UPC as the older ones. Also, Columbia's fullscreen-only reissues of discs with widescreen and FS transfers have the same UPC's (and in some cases, the cover art indicates both versions but the disc inside is FS-only).