Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : "Amazon Prime" shipping program

Chew
02-02-05, 07:36 AM
Posted on the main page of Amazon:
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/gateway/promo/jeff-letter-prime.gif

I guess it's great for somebody who orders a lot from Amazon, but I don't know if I would order that much to make it worth the $79.

neiname
02-02-05, 08:04 AM
$25 isn't really that much of a minimum and I can wait the 3-5 days it normally takes to get my merchandise... If they did away with the free shipping option (which they probably will), I will sign up for this.

reverie
02-02-05, 08:24 AM
Certainly not worth it for me. If they do away with free shipping, that will most definitely be the final nail in the coffin after Share the Love, and I wouldn't see any reason to shop there again.

HN
02-02-05, 09:59 AM
As mentioned on another board:

(In terms and conditions)
"YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR MEMBERSHIP WILL AUTOMATICALLY RENEW AND YOU AUTHORIZE US TO CHARGE TO YOUR CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD (WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU) THE THEN-APPLICABLE ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE AND ANY TAXES, UNLESS YOU NOTIFY US BEFORE RENEWAL THAT YOU WANT TO CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP."

Yay for automation!

chanster
02-02-05, 10:05 AM
Amazon must be hurting. I can usually scrape togetther an order for things that I need, want to get over $25. I sure hope they start really slowing down free shipping because of this

marty888
02-02-05, 10:09 AM
Well, considering that the last (and with the death of STL, I probably really mean <i>the last</i>) several orders from Amazon have all arrived in 2-3 days with FREE SHIPPING, this is definitely something I can ignore.

honeybefly
02-02-05, 11:08 AM
I guess the Supersaver shipping program has been discontinued.

garolo
02-02-05, 11:19 AM

Uh, no it hasn't. At least not yet.

Easy
02-02-05, 11:37 AM
Certainly not worth it for me. If they do away with free shipping, that will most definitely be the final nail in the coffin after Share the Love, and I wouldn't see any reason to shop there again.
You got that right. I was very disappointed with the loss of STL but it didn't totally drive me away from Amazon. The loss of free shipping would.

Laser Movies
02-02-05, 12:07 PM
All I can say is the "Amazon Prime" membership is not going to encourage me to buy anything. Bring back STL or coupons!

matome
02-02-05, 12:58 PM
All I can say is the "Amazon Prime" membership is not going to encourage me to buy anything. Bring back STL or coupons!

or the nickels!!!

If DVDEmpire did this, I would be all over it!

Jim
02-02-05, 03:36 PM
Amazon must be hurting. I can usually scrape togetther an order for things that I need, want to get over $25. I sure hope they start really slowing down free shipping because of this
They're not doing it because they're hurting. They just reported net income of 82 cents per share, up from 17 cents per share a year ago.

illennium
02-02-05, 04:00 PM
I personally don't care if my DVDs arrive on release day, or the week after, or next year. I'm not a child who needs things now now now. With books, I care more because I'm often using them for time-sensitive work or research, although in those cases I obviously only order from Amazon after checking local stores. In other words, I'm very happy with free supersaver shipping even if it's very slow, which it often is not. If they do away with that, then I'll be annoyed.

Dukemstr
02-02-05, 04:23 PM
Why aren't they taking any attention to their International costumers who make a big block of their sale? why don't we get any shipping promotion :(

Dukemstr

Josh-da-man
02-02-05, 04:45 PM

Not yet, but I wouldn't be shocked if this wasn't the handwriting on the wall.

What's the point -- really -- in charging $80 a year for a service they already provide?

I can't see this taking off at all unless they do away with super saver shipping. Even if they raised the limit to over $25, it would just encourage people to buy more... and that would seem to be the point of this "Amazon Prime" program.

I mean, if you're paying $80 UP FRONT for shipping over an entire year, they probably believe that that would encourage you to use Amazon for more purchases.

The $25 super-saver limit is really nothing. It's what, two or three typical items?

naughty jonny
02-02-05, 05:15 PM
Why aren't they taking any attention to their International costumers who make a big block of their sale? why don't we get any shipping promotion :(

Dukemstr

And why the hell do we still get it as our "enty" page into Amazon?

They already know who I am from the cookie and set "hello. we know you, so you'd probably like XXXXX" normally, so why the hell do they need to spam us when we're not allowed to sign up for it?

It's like they are trying to be Nelson Muntz and going "ha ha" to us international people.

chanster
02-02-05, 07:25 PM
They're not doing it because they're hurting. They just reported net income of 82 cents per share, up from 17 cents per share a year ago.

What are you talking about? Their quarter were pretty bad. Take a look at this article that came out today. Free shipping is seen as a major cost impediment.

I would say 2-3 months, we see Free Shipping go up to $49..then disappear after that.

Amazon Profit Misses Forecast, Shares Dip
Wednesday February 2, 8:16 pm ET
By Michael Kahn

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc. (NasdaqNM:AMZN - News) on Wednesday posted a quarterly profit that missed Wall Street estimates and it unveiled a costly new shipping program that heightened concern about falling margins, sending its shares tumbling 14 percent.

Fourth-quarter net earnings more than quadrupled as a weak dollar boosted record holiday sales and the company recorded a $244 million tax benefit. But incentives like free shipping and discounts cut into profits and hurt margins.

"Margins are well below expectations -- revenues were good, but margins are a disaster," said Chris Baggini, manager of the Gartmore Growth Fund.

"Product mix was not in their favor. Price competition crushed their margins," said Baggini, whose fund does not own Amazon shares. "They had to offer a lot more free delivery product to move the sale."

Net income during the quarter, which includes the critical holiday season, rose to $346.7 million, or 82 cents per share, from $73.2 million, or 17 cents per share, a year ago.

But stripping out the benefit from a $244 million tax asset, the company said net income excluding items would have been 35 cents a share. On that basis, Wall Street analysts were expecting the company to post a profit of 40 cents a share.

Sales rose 31 percent to $2.54 billion as lower prices and free shipping attracted customers during the critical holiday season. Excluding the benefits from changes in foreign exchange rates, sales rose 26 percent, the company said.

Sales in North America, the company's biggest market, rose 22 percent to $1.39 billion while international sales shot up 43 percent to $1.15 billion, helped by new offerings such as a DVD rental service in Britain.

But Janco Partners analyst Martin Pyykkonen said Amazon's worsening profit margins "stuck out like a sore thumb. Gross margin fell to 23.1 percent from 23.9 percent due in part to lower prices and free shipping as part of the company's goal of attracting more customers and boosting overall profits.

"They're selling more stuff and making less profit margin on it," said Pyykkonen, who predicted customers would embrace Amazon Prime, a new program allows members to pay $79 annually for unlimited, express two-day free shipping with no minimum purchase requirement.

"It's great for the consumer, not for great for margins," Pyykkonen said.

The company also raised its 2005 sales outlook, but investors still sold Amazon stock in after-hours trading amid concerns over the cost of the new shipping program.

"Make no mistake about it, we expect Amazon Prime to be expensive for the company in the short term," Amazon Chief Financial Officer Tom Szkutak told reporters. "It is perhaps the most expensive thing we have done since free super-saver shipping.

"However, over the long term we believe that Amazon Prime will drive incremental demand just as super-saver shipping has done."

Amazon said it expects first-quarter sales to be between $1.80 billion and $1.95 billion. Analysts on average were expecting sales to hit $1.83 billion, in a range of $1.60 billion to $1.91 billion, according to Reuters Estimates.

For the full year 2005, the company raised its sales outlook to a range of $8.05 billion to $8.65 billion from an earlier estimate of $7.40 billion to $8.15 billion.

Amazon shares slumped to $35.80 in after-hours trading on the Inet electronic brokerage, down from their Nasdaq close of $41.88.

ChiTownAbs, Inc
02-02-05, 08:55 PM
I agree that Amazon will probably up the minimum to $49 for a year then it'll be gone.

Zodo
02-02-05, 08:58 PM
I think the program is crap and if they cancel super saver shipping then I'll pretty much be done with Amazon.

Buford T Pusser
02-02-05, 11:45 PM
I'm not a fan of membership programs that cost up front. I'm too damn cheap and can wait a bit longer for free shipping via the slow way.

I would never get the $79 back since I never pay for shipping there. Now if they drop the free shipping I will shop there MUCH less.

As it is, I mostly buy books that are 30 percent off or more and just the occasional DVD and CD.

Josh-da-man
02-03-05, 12:30 AM
I'm not a fan of membership programs that cost up front. I'm too damn cheap and can wait a bit longer for free shipping via the slow way.

I would never get the $79 back since I never pay for shipping there. Now if they drop the free shipping I will shop there MUCH less.

As it is, I mostly buy books that are 30 percent off or more and just the occasional DVD and CD.

Same here.

I only buy the occasional DVD from Amazon, and no CDs. Mostly the Buffy/Angel DVD sets, or when they have the best price on something. For the most part, their prices for DVDs and CDs pretty much suck ass. There's always another place that has a better price.

I mostly buy books at their discount prices. Lots of books; they're my primary source for books these days.

If they do away with Super Saver free shipping it'll pretty much blow my savings, and make it pointless to buy from them. They will have officially lost a customer. Raising the free shipping level up to $49 (or even $99) it won't effect me much since I buy a lot of books, and wouldn't have any trouble finding something I wanted to pad out an order.

I'm also not a fan of repeat buyer incentive programs I have to pay to get into. Seriously, fuck that noise. I'm not going to pay anyone just to have an incentive to shop at their store. What sucks about Amazon's "Prime" is that it costs $80 a year for something they already offer at no charge. And even then, at a savings of something like $5.00 an order (providing they do away with Super Saver shipping) you'd have to place sixteen orders to break even.

Eve Brown
02-03-05, 01:13 AM
Waste of money

natevines
02-03-05, 05:34 AM
When I first saw this on amazon, I didn't take the time to read it and after seeing the "all-you-can-eat", I thought Amazon was initiating a food program.

Yes, I'm that pathetic :(

Manzana
02-03-05, 08:53 AM
I totally agree with chanster. I had read that article off Yahoo, and when I saw free shipping and incentives mentioned I immediately thought Share the Love (which they've already dropped) and figured free shipping would be next to get the axe. I already stopped ordering from Amazon when they dropped STL, so if I'm not willing to order with just free shipping, does Amazon think that if they drop free shipping that will really make me want to order from them?

Obviously we're just speculating, but profits for people like Bozos (or whatever his name is) and other stockholders are their most important concern (however companies like Worldcom and Enron didn't care about stockholders when we owned those stocks, but since we don't have any Amazon stock I expect it to be protected and do well), so all these incentives are likely to go. I think people's theories of them upping the free shipping limit (and probably with no warning like they dropped STL) and then cancelling it fits their pattern. I know in past years they had taken it away and then brought it back. If we lose it again, will it and STL ever come back? If not, then as long as DeepDiscountDVD doesn't pull similar stunts and start charging shipping and sales tax, DDD will be getting a lot of business.

On many titles I can do equally well at a Borders store with a 10-15% coupon + sales tax than I can at Amazon with free shipping and no STL. That's pretty sad.

marty888
02-03-05, 09:20 AM
Just checked pricesearch, and according to them:

DVDs priced lowest at DeepDiscountDVD: 9797
DVDs priced lowest at Amazon.Com......: 493

No STL, starting to screw around with the shipping...... hmmm ..... decisions, decisions.

hondo21
02-03-05, 09:24 AM
As others have said, killing STL put a serious crimp in my buying from them. Killing Free Shipping would be the absolute death knell. I hate paying shipping on anything and never pay shipping at Amazon. Which is why Amazon Prime has no appeal at all for me.

Now my only problem is that I've been using my Amazon VISA primarily, to earn gift certificates. But their value is diminishing and I think I may have to move on to another reward program.

Josh H
02-03-05, 11:23 AM
Lame, if super saver shipping goes away I'm done with them. The only thing I buy is books, and I don't care how quick they get to me.

Dukemstr
02-03-05, 12:18 PM
Do you seriously think DDD or other marchant like them could continue as a viable bussiness??? I seriously think that in the long term DDD will go the way of Buy.com. once a formidable store, and now only a shadow of past.
I realy doubt DDD is actualy making any profits (or at least at the level amazon is) and since i dont see any way they can finance their there debt otherwise, their price slashing marketing will also end soon unfortunatly.
I think that Amazon on the contrary think long term instead of short if they want to continue to survive they have to increase revenue and you have to remember, Amazon neve braged having the lowest price on the Internet, their main focus always was Service quality, availibilty and user friendly. And this as AOL once was is what the masses wants, for all the rest "dvd freaks" their are not a viable bussiness in the long term as they care for the price only and would buy DVD's from osama.com if they sold them cheaper :) they dont have costumer loyalty and that is what Amazon is searching for.

I hope i made myself coherent. :)

Dukemstr

Geofferson
02-03-05, 12:20 PM
I too will discontinue shopping at Amazon if they do away with free shipping.

boredsilly
02-03-05, 09:05 PM
Unlike many I still really like Amazon.com. It's also a great resource for research (user revies, page counts, dvd specs, sound samples, even listmania). Not going to be buying a lot of dvd's from them but they'll still get my book business but only if the shipping stays free. I too hate to pay for shipping online. Taxes too, it just doesn't feel right.

This new program doesn't really make sense to me. Granted, if you buy a ton of stuff on Amazon and need stuff fast it's great, but for the suppossed money it's going to cost Amazon to implement this vs the business it's going to drum up? I'm no great business mind but it doesn't seem like a sure thing. Like Bufford said, paying up front for a service like this isn't all that appealing.

The loss of STL was sad, but the loss of free shipping (or even upping it to $49 will be the end of Amazon for me (outside of the reviews and such).

Rex Fenestrarum
02-04-05, 12:38 AM
This might have mattered to me a few years ago, but nowadays I don't order enough from Amazon for it to be worth my $80.

A long time ago, Amazon had awesome prices. But they've slowly crept up to be on par with - or even higher than - most of my local B&M stores. I don't exactly fault Amazon for this - after all, they have to make money to stay in business, no? But back in the early days (1996 & 1997) I lived directly across the street from one of the largest independent bookstores in the South, yet I still ordered from Amazon... 'cos it was so much cheaper. No more. And even though Amazon sells everything but the kitchen sink these days, it's just not cheap enough to make me shop there. The two cities I've lived in - Atlanta and Charlotte - are big enough to usually have what I want at a local B&M. Perhaps if I lived out in the sticks I'd shop at Amazon more often, but I don't so I don't. Of course, I usually shop online if I'm looking for an obscure book or DVD a local B&M might not have, but with Amazon's prices being what they are, it just doesn't pay to shop there. DDD, Booksamillion, Overstock - all of them have lower prices than Amazon.

Also back in the early days, Amazon had a distribution center in Suwanee, GA, which is 25 miles or so north of Atlanta. So almost any book, CD or DVD I ordered would arrive overnight, even with standard USPS first class shipping. This was awesome, and it tipped the scales many a time on my Amazon impulse purchases. Of course, Amazon closed that center a few years ago and my orders started taking longer and longer to arrive. What was once overnight now became a week. Again, it's Amazon's business, and if they want to shut down a distributon center to save money, so be it. But that doesn't mean that I have to order from them, either.

Lastly, Amazon itself started taking forever to ship orders, regardless of the shipping method chosen. Honestly, I don't know why they even bother putting "Usually ships within 24 hours" on their pages anymore, as I haven't had an order ship in 24 hours with them in at least a year, if not two. I've ordered a few things that "usually ship within 24 hours" that took a week or more to actually ship*. Just this past Christmas, my Mom ordered me the No Thanks: The 70s Punk Rebellion box set from Amazon. She ordered it on December 10th. It was listed as "Usually ships within 24 hours". She even used overnight shipping just to be sure. It shipped on December 30th and arrived on the 31st - three weeks later. "24 hours" my ass. Thanks for nothing, jerks!

So - now that their prices are not an inducement to buying, now that it takes a week to deliver my stuff and now that it takes for-freakin'-ever for Amazon to actually ship my orders... why would I want to shop there? Truth is, I usually don't.

Amazon UK still kicks ass for ordering CDs, DVDs and books that would be imports over here. Not only do they usually have stuff "in stock" (and actually mean it when it says "ships in 24 hours"), it's usually cheaper to order from Amazon UK than just about anywhere else. Hell, I just ordered the new Emiliana Torrini CD from Amazon UK and it got to my house from the UK in about 4 business days, all for 11. I can think of at least two other times when I things from Amazon UK and it was cheaper than Amazon US. For example, I ordered the A Camp CD (Nina Persson of The Cardigans' solo band) and a Madonna Bedtime Stories remix single from Amazon UK and it ended up being about $4 cheaper (with shipping) for both of them than Amazon USA's price for just the A Camp CD. Plus, I got my Amazon UK order in about a week, while Amazon US said "ships in 3-4 weeks" on their site. Why is Amazon UK so kickass while Amazon US just sucks more and more?

Lastly, I still sometimes buy from Amazon when they have an occasional good deal. Just a couple of days ago I ordered the Wonderfalls box set from Amazon 'cos it was only 3 more expensive that the cheapest place I could find online. Rather than pay more at DDD or deal with some new, strange online DVD retailer (DVD4U, or something like that), I figured I'd just use "the evil I know" instead of saving 3: I bought from Amazon. Of course, it was only cheaper because of the free "Super Saver" shipping, so by the time I actually get my friggin' hands on it, the Wonderfalls Blu-Ray Set will be out.

* = Yes, I'm talking about orders with "standard shipping", not "Super Saver"

Josh-da-man
02-04-05, 06:28 PM
I don't know whether or not this is significant or anything, but I've noticed that Amazon has removed the "Ships free with Super Saver shipping" notice from the item pages, but still have the "Want it delivered Tuesday, February 8? Order it in the next 71 hours and 4 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout," notices.

Looks like they're trying to pimp fast shipping.

Note that when I put things in my cart, it still says Super Saver shipping is available.

Anla'shok
02-04-05, 11:24 PM
I've noticed that Amazon has removed the "Ships free with Super Saver shipping" notice from the item pages,

The little truck icon is gone, but "FREE Super Saver Shipping" is mentioned right after the price on just about everything I've looked at.

calhoun07
02-04-05, 11:45 PM
If they get rid of free shipping, deepdiscountdvd will be my major place to buy DVDs online, and there is no miminum there. The main reason I use amazon.com is I prefer the lay out of their website and the recommendations and the reviews of blind buys I am contemplating. But without free shipping, they really won't have an edge. Hell, even the nickles would be better than nothing, or at least promotional coupons.

I understand promotions cut into profits, but every store must offer promotions to draw in customers. It's like a loss leader. If they stop free shipping, they will lose far more than shipping costs on orders, they will lose entire ORDERS from many customers.

calhoun07
02-04-05, 11:47 PM
And even though Amazon sells everything but the kitchen sink these days

ahem...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DCE5B/qid=1107582421/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2996636-4365727?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=507846

kevin75
02-05-05, 06:22 PM
as someone who has shopped at amazon for quite a few years, i get the feeling that this is nearing the end of my experience with them. if they do away with free shipping, i will probably not be shopping there anymore. i mainly buy dvd's, cd's and trade paperbacks. there are too many other stores that have better customer service than amazon.

DVDealer
02-06-05, 07:15 AM
I'm also not a fan of repeat buyer incentive programs I have to pay to get into. Seriously, fuck that noise. I'm not going to pay anyone just to have an incentive to shop at their store. What sucks about Amazon's "Prime" is that it costs $80 a year for something they already offer at no charge. And even then, at a savings of something like $5.00 an order (providing they do away with Super Saver shipping) you'd have to place sixteen orders to break even.

With all of their gratuitous changes, a program like this is certainly not worth it. The only "club" subscription I have is with The GotAnime discount (extra 10% per order) at rightstuf.com, which really pays off if you stock up on their different label sales of anime titles per year, especially with no sales tax or shipping charges if you buy big orders from them. They've been pretty consistent with good service and on their deals too.

I just noticed yesterday that even going to amazon.ca or other international amazon sites to get titles not available in the U.S. (like "The Take", which actually is in their top 100 sales ratings), that suddenly the coupons for non-U.S. amazon sites are drying up too, which makes it harder to offset the shipping charges for those occasional orders too. That's a sign that many of these "discount" prices are going away too. I wouldn't trust *any* time-oriented program from Amazon now. I look at them like I did Buy.com when they suddenly canceled their customer service line (which was about the only thing protecting customers from really bad customer experiences for a while with them). When they get into that sort of cost-cutting mode, things aren't good for them.

Not to mention, I think they put off many folks like myself now who a more progressive political viewpoint, with their PAC donations more to Republicans (especially compared to BarnesandNoble.com). Many of us (and I think, based on a lot of the customer reviews posted on Amazon that's a *large* segment of their customer base) who have shopped on Amazon of this political viewpoint have one less excuse to shop there any more. If it doesn't make sense price-wise, we will avoid going there from this point forward. That's going to hurt them from a revenue standpoint, and have them scrambling to try and whittle away at discounts that much more to keep their margins.

Digweedrocks
02-07-05, 11:58 PM
... this program could be a success. i have suggestiond

A. Offer a 100% Guarantee that you will get your money's worth out of the program. This could be accomplished by giving Amazon Prime Buyers a coupon at the end of the year for any amount of the $79 fee that they did not use for the Free 2nd Day shipping. We all love Amazon coupons here I assume.

B. Have a column in the Your Account section that keeps track of both yuor free second day shipping fees saved And the amount saved on overnight shipping at $3.99. Having an indication of how much you have saved gives you a good idea if you want to renew or not.

C. Have special Amazon Prime Only promotioms amd coupons that are the best way to buy the bigger ticket items or even line up box sets.

D. Make sure every new DVD arrives on Release day and make a point of advertising that point

E. Emphasize how Slow other competor's can be with their free shipping options and still beat the price of the lowest priced competitor on Overnight.

F. Have a account for $1000 or based on size that gives these same level benefits to small businesses.

G.Have group driven buys

calhoun07
02-08-05, 03:22 PM
... this program could be a success. i have suggestiond

A. Offer a 100% Guarantee that you will get your money's worth out of the program. This could be accomplished by giving Amazon Prime Buyers a coupon at the end of the year for any amount of the $79 fee that they did not use for the Free 2nd Day shipping. We all love Amazon coupons here I assume.

B. Have a column in the Your Account section that keeps track of both yuor free second day shipping fees saved And the amount saved on overnight shipping at $3.99. Having an indication of how much you have saved gives you a good idea if you want to renew or not.

C. Have special Amazon Prime Only promotioms amd coupons that are the best way to buy the bigger ticket items or even line up box sets.

D. Make sure every new DVD arrives on Release day and make a point of advertising that point

E. Emphasize how Slow other competor's can be with their free shipping options and still beat the price of the lowest priced competitor on Overnight.

F. Have a account for $1000 or based on size that gives these same level benefits to small businesses.

G.Have group driven buys

Dude, they couldn't even get the bugs worked out of their coupons and their Share the Love promotions and you want them to do ALL THAT???

Digweedrocks
02-10-05, 12:22 AM
They didn't mess up too badly on their $50 GC I got for buying a bunch of Braun stuff from them. With STL gone that probably means they got the extra server capacity to run new promotions; one less database they have to keep.

BlackCapTen
02-10-05, 03:10 PM
I've purchased from Amazon for years simply because they had the occasional best price on something or some promotion running that made it the best price.

I've noticed some changes, most mentioned in this thread. I have about 80 items in my "Saved Items - To Buy Later" list. I've added to the list for the past year and a half. These are items I might have wanted at one time or another, and they include electronics, dvds, random computer accessories, kitchen/housewares, and drugstore purchases. Every day for the past 1-2 weeks I've gotten notifications that a price has increased on the list. In the past it happened only once in a while.

I was keeping my eye on a Panasonic DVD Recorder that I bought last month during their Electronics promotion (get a gift certificate if you spend $xx in the electronics store). I wanted to make sure the price didn't go down so I can get a refund on the price change. Well the price changed, it went up $100!

So they are definitely doing something by making all these changes, and I'm afraid the free shipping promo for $25 is going to end soon.

Buford T Pusser
02-10-05, 06:03 PM
I didn't know there's a way to get a notice that the price has increased. Hmmm.

Seeker
02-10-05, 08:08 PM
I can see this "prime" if I ordered about 20-30 times per year.

BlackCapTen
02-10-05, 09:51 PM
I didn't know there's a way to get a notice that the price has increased. Hmmm.

Sorry, I should clarify:

I keep my Amazon cart open (I use Avant Browser which allows tabs of IE -- firefox does the same). Usually once a day I refresh the page to check prices on a couple items I saved. Towards the top a box appears if an item's price increased in your cart.

So it's not an automatic notification, you do have to refresh your cart.

On a side note, the price on that DVD Recorder went back down $100. And unfortunately they don't tell you if a price went down (would be good if you had tons of stuff in there).

Buford T Pusser
02-10-05, 10:29 PM
Sorry, I should clarify:

I keep my Amazon cart open (I use Avant Browser which allows tabs of IE -- firefox does the same). Usually once a day I refresh the page to check prices on a couple items I saved. Towards the top a box appears if an item's price increased in your cart.

So it's not an automatic notification, you do have to refresh your cart.

On a side note, the price on that DVD Recorder went back down $100. And unfortunately they don't tell you if a price went down (would be good if you had tons of stuff in there).

Ahhhh. Thanks for the info.

BTW, do you know Lou Daniels?

BlackCapTen
02-11-05, 05:35 AM
BTW, do you know Lou Daniels?

No, who is that?

By the way, here's a sample of that notification, just got one when I refreshed my cart.

http://img1.imagevenue.com/loc182/842_amazon_price.jpg

ChrisHicks
02-11-05, 03:11 PM
No, who is that?

By the way, here's a sample of that notification, just got one when I refreshed my cart.

http://img1.imagevenue.com/loc182/842_amazon_price.jpg

I have never seen this before. whenever a price changes on something in my cart I get a simular message box like this but it never tells me what has changed. strange.

Seeker
02-13-05, 06:31 PM
So has anyone signed up for this program?

Seeker
02-15-05, 11:56 PM
Nobody? Really?

Well, I did it. Now let's see if I wasted my money.

Buford T Pusser
02-16-05, 12:15 AM
That's one!

Josh-da-man
02-16-05, 01:22 AM
Seeker has joined a very exclusive club. :)

pilot
02-16-05, 09:05 AM
they'll probably cancel it in six months and screw every(one?=seeker?) who signed up..

Dabaomb
02-16-05, 04:50 PM
Nobody? Really?

Well, I did it. Now let's see if I wasted my money.

if they cancel it, they'll probably grandfather you....if not, then demand a refund

ctyankee
03-08-05, 09:37 AM
I signed up for it but with the books I order it will pay for itself.

For those primarily buying DVDs ... this is a bad deal. I mean, let's face it participate in DDD twice a year 20 percent off sale (with free shipping) is working well for a lot of us.

But I did notice that many posters haven't fully caught on to what Amazon HAS already done with their "Free Super Saver" shipping.

It used to be that "super saver shipping" went out the door pretty much as fast as any order.

It then became that "super saver shipping" shipped out slower but still arrived decently.

It now is their formal policy. Super Saver orders will not ship out until 3 - 5 business days after receipt of order or release date. Add on the actual transportation and this means orders are considerably delayed.

Even that 3- 5 business days works out to 5 business days on pre-orders.

I ordered Criterion's L'Eclisse DVD which has a release date of 3/14 and they set up my order to be shipped on 3/22. I ordered Jules and Jim DVD and it is scheduled to be released 3/29 and it was set up to be packed and shipped on 4/5.

When I changed the orders from "super saver shipping" two day shipping (using Amazon Prime) lo and behold the orders are set to ship 3/14 and 3/29 respectively i.e the DVD release date. How transparent is this?

I've been a supporter of Amazon from the get-go but this is extremely
disappointing. It was one nail in the DVD coffin when they cancelled the Share-the-Love program. It is quite another thing when "free shipping" take
is given second class citizen regarding pick, pack and ship. Very poor. It would be one thing if Amazon's terms and conditions said it will take up to five business days to process the order so that we can schedule it more cost effectively for their packing and shipping departments ... it is quite another thing to say it will take a minimum of 3 to five business days to pack and ship. That shows that internal labor is not the issue here but a blatant delay of 'free' shipping so that it becomes less attractive to the consumer. My pre-orders have been all been set up in advance to ship a *full* week (five business days plus the weekends) so that it will ship the following Tuesday. As Tuesday is a DVD merchants busiest day it is clear that effective load
balancing is not the issue here.

Now they come out with Amazon Prime with free shipping for a set yearly fee.
Free shipping for $25 and up orders use to ship promptly. At some point they changed it to the new 'arrangement.' Now Amazon Prime. How transparent and disappointing Amazon has become.

medavidson
03-17-05, 01:09 PM
I'm in. I order a lot more than just DVD's. I'm thinking that come xmas time, I should be well ahead of the game. I guestimate I've gotten back around $30 of my investment so far -- and it's only been 3 weeks. Last Friday, they had this big ass Calphelon pan on their Friday sale and it was an enormo box. So I got the pan at a killer deal and free shipping.

Digweedrocks
03-20-05, 12:22 AM
I Now they come out with Amazon Prime with free shipping for a set yearly fee.
Free shipping for $25 and up orders use to ship promptly. At some point they changed it to the new 'arrangement.' Now Amazon Prime. How transparent and disappointing Amazon has become.

Well if they were a non=profit it would be one thing but the Free Shipping was an extended sale, not an ongoing entitlement program. I signed up for Prime and it has been pretty nice so far, I expect in a few monthes when they see how successful it is the price will probably go up. If you are doing requesitions for a production or small business and can get what you need from Amazon, it is a very good deal.

Free Super Saver shipping was bound to end one day and we are watching it wind down.

Ahab
03-20-05, 08:54 AM
I'm in. I order a lot more than just DVD's. I'm thinking that come xmas time, I should be well ahead of the game. I guestimate I've gotten back around $30 of my investment so far -- and it's only been 3 weeks. Last Friday, they had this big ass Calphelon pan on their Friday sale and it was an enormo box. So I got the pan at a killer deal and free shipping.

I also get a lot of other things than just dvd's at amazon so it was also a no-brainer for me. I subscribed to it. -biggrin-
You can always find a better deal someplace else, but I've had great service from amazon: very reliable to deal with and quick getting out their shipments.

ctyankee
03-20-05, 08:55 PM
My guess is that Amazon Prime is as much about competing internally with their own Amazon Marketplace as anything else.

The beauty of Amazon Marketplace (from Amazon's standpoint) is they make a profit on other people's sales (much like E-Bay). However, I suspect that they never thought that so many new items would be sold on Marketplace thus cannibalizing their own sales.

Now when a Amazon Prime shopper is comparing Amazon to a third-party sale (such as a DVD) Amazon will look much better in a heartbeat due to free shipping.

Digweedrocks
03-24-05, 10:37 PM
Probably bump it up in a couple of steps to $39 minimum order for super-saver

kevin75
03-24-05, 10:41 PM
just as a response to ctyankee's post above, i placed an order yesterday for a couple of books and chose super saver shipping and i got a shipping notice in less than 24 hours.

MJG87
03-24-05, 11:03 PM
Placed an order on sunday, 8 cds, super saver. Half of it shipped out monday, still waiting on the 2nd half to go into the preparing for shipping stage, its like they're purposely holding off.

Digweedrocks
03-25-05, 02:28 PM
I think the language in the super-saving shipping terms is to protect Amazon for worst case scenarios like holidays. It means they can have less people in the warehouse on any given day as some orders do not have to go out pronto. On slower days, things may ship out quicker, and slow days vary from warehouse to warehouse, as AMAZON provides fulfillment service for other companies on some products, the way Ingram Micro does for many online computer stores.

So...take Super Saving Shipping for what it is, which is ships on warehouse worker availability, whcih is what many of the bottom cost DVD sellers already do anyways, whether they be Columbia House or DVDSoon.

Digweedrocks
03-25-05, 02:44 PM
I've been a supporter of Amazon from the get-go but this is extremely disappointing

What, dissappointed that AMAZON is headed toward longterm profitability and stability through a membership model?

Less People in warehouse=Lower Overhead=Continued Good prices

If you are already a Prime member there is absolutely nothing to complain about and you can even give it to three other family members if it makes them unhappy.

You do know they do send a portion of their profits(and they finally HAVE profits after all these years) to pay for conservation of the rainforest in the Amazon basin.

I think there is little to be disappointed about once you stop looking towards the lowest possible price and start looking at what your money is supporting.

Buford T Pusser
03-26-05, 09:36 AM
I'm not a member of the new program.

I ordered two cds and one DVD with free shipping at 1 am this morning. At 10 am I received an email saying they'd been shipped.

Josh H
03-26-05, 01:59 PM
What, dissappointed that AMAZON is headed toward longterm profitability and stability through a membership model?

Their profitability is not my concern. I only care about getting the best prices and reasonable shipping times when I order something.

This is hard to find so I rarely ever order anything online anymore unless it's a great deal and something I dont' care about getting right away.

Living in a metropolitan area it's not like I have to drive more than 5 miles to find anything I want.

Easy
04-06-05, 11:14 AM
It used to be that "super saver shipping" went out the door pretty much as fast as any order.

It then became that "super saver shipping" shipped out slower but still arrived decently.

It now is their formal policy. Super Saver orders will not ship out until 3 - 5 business days after receipt of order or release date. Add on the actual transportation and this means orders are considerably delayed.

Even that 3- 5 business days works out to 5 business days on pre-orders.

I ordered Criterion's L'Eclisse DVD which has a release date of 3/14 and they set up my order to be shipped on 3/22. I ordered Jules and Jim DVD and it is scheduled to be released 3/29 and it was set up to be packed and shipped on 4/5.

When I changed the orders from "super saver shipping" two day shipping (using Amazon Prime) lo and behold the orders are set to ship 3/14 and 3/29 respectively i.e the DVD release date. How transparent is this?

I agree with your assessment. Over the weekend I ordered an item from Amazon and an item from Newegg. Different items, but both offered free shipping and both were in stock.
The Newegg item arrived today. Amazon hasn't even thought about packing the order. Frankly, if it were not for the "reward certificates" earned from my credit card I wouldn't even consider Amazon. Time to see about changing that reward program.

Digweedrocks
04-06-05, 12:11 PM
Their profitability is not my concern. I only care about getting the best prices and reasonable shipping times when I order something.

This is hard to find so I rarely ever order anything online anymore unless it's a great deal and something I dont' care about getting right away.

Living in a metropolitan area it's not like I have to drive more than 5 miles to find anything I want.

Then why be mad about the slow death of AMAZON supersaver? Columbiahouse and deepdiscount have better prices and DVDSOON, if you don't mind paying way in advance/dealing with Canadians and so/so business policies towards Americans. Most of these places ship pretty slow, media mail for the US shops.

If you want it fast, go to a local store. Just don't expect to find more obscure titles without going to a Tower Records, Virgin or some other similiar, close to MSRP retailer.

I'd like an hot-fudge :banana: split sundae for 99cents but with the gasp 3-5 day holding period at AMAZON, I'll be lucky to get some moldy slime with a few peanuts if I order from themAnd you know why the heck should Express mail be $13.65 when First class is 33 cents. Please tell me somewhere on the net where you can get something for nothing and then we can both send thousands of dollars to the next Cyberrebates.com because only stupid people would not shop at such a wonderful place, right?

Let me guess, you like AMAZON for all the reviews and then you shop elsewhere.:consume: Even more of a reason for AMAZON to fasttrack their transition to a members site

Digweedrocks
04-06-05, 12:21 PM
This whole new fangled internet thing has really gotten people's expectations up. To imagine in Ye Olde days you had to look through a catalog, fill out an order form, mail it, WAIT, and then get whatever you ordered weeks later.

Telecom advances have been extraordinary, but you know what, they still need about the same amount of people to pull stuff from the wherehouse, package and ship it.

It is like trying to rent in somewhere like New York City. you have to make a value judgement between location, size, and price. For internet sales the trinity is speed, price, selection/reliability. Of course if you are still getting good returns from the Tooth Fairy or are a wonderfully attentive CEO like Bernie Ebbers I can see why you think this three part equation does not apply to you.

Buford T Pusser
04-06-05, 06:02 PM
I'm not a member of the new program.

I ordered two cds and one DVD with free shipping at 1 am this morning. At 10 am I received an email saying they'd been shipped.

Just an update. My free shipping items arrived three days after the order.

Digweedrocks
04-06-05, 08:55 PM
I think don't think Amazon is holding any packages longer than they need to given the new policy. Just if you order when a warehouse is jammed, it goes to the back of the line. Newegg for teh most part drop ships from distributors so it is not the best example to compare with AMAZON, which carries alot of its merchandise in it own warehouse-other-.

Josh H
04-06-05, 10:32 PM
Then why be mad about the slow death of AMAZON supersaver? Columbiahouse and deepdiscount have better prices and DVDSOON, if you don't mind paying way in advance/dealing with Canadians and so/so business policies towards Americans. Most of these places ship pretty slow, media mail for the US shops.

If you want it fast, go to a local store. Just don't expect to find more obscure titles without going to a Tower Records, Virgin or some other similiar, close to MSRP retailer.

95% of the time I do go to a local store as I have mainstream tastes so I can find everything I want.

The reason I shop at Amazon occasionally is mainly that they often have the best price on books and some other random gadgets. I rarely buy a cd and DVD there.

And secondly I get Gift Certificates there pretty often through Vividence web site evaluations and the reward program on the Amazon Visa (use it for everything pay the balance in full each month).

Without free shipping it becomes almost not worth the hassle. I don't mind them taking a while to ship (as long as it's reasonable like 3 days or so after order for free shipping), as I said I usually order books and don't need them right way.

Free shipping goes away and I'll probably look for another credit card reward program.

Digweedrocks
04-10-05, 02:39 AM
Well the free shipping was a big attraction for me as well, before I joined Prime so I doubt they would get rid of it completely. They will probably manage it the same way ebay does with their listing sales, making it more attractive when sales are slow.

cmleidi
04-10-05, 11:59 AM
I have no use for Amazon Prime. My to read and to watch piles are so enormous that I can wait 7 to 10 days to receive something. I suppose if you're impatient, the program might be beneficial, but I would rather spend the $80. on actual merchandise rather than shipping. I've found Barnes and Noble's free shipping to be first rate, and with my member discount, I can usually find a better deal there especially on books. IF I'm after discs, I switch between Digital Eyes and Barnes and Noble.

The free shipping at Amazon (coupled with STL) prompted me to purchase more merchandise that I would have otherwise. Since the removal of STL, I haven't purchased anything from them in three months. At this point last year, I had made 18 purchases. I've only made three this year, and the two of them were paid with certificates. The only time I will use Amazon now is when I have certificates from Vividence or Lightspeed.

victor_vc
04-10-05, 12:52 PM
What's vividence or lightspeed?

Josh H
04-10-05, 01:28 PM
Vividence is a company that does evaluations of websites. I get an e-mail invite from them every month or two, take a screening survey, if I meet the requirements for that evaluation I do an evaluation of a website (last one was Bank of America) and get a $10 GC for about 30 mins of work.

I think they just changed their name, but I can't recall what it is now. I've been doing it for years, so I don't know if they're taking new people or not.

Laser Movies
04-10-05, 01:36 PM
Vividence is now called Keynote.

Josh H
04-10-05, 02:15 PM
Yep, that's it. I noticed it on the last invite I got, but couldn't think it up off the top of my head.