Smallville - 02/02/05

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Smallville - 02/02/05

"Pariah", Episode #412.

Spoiler:
Lana and Jason are attacked, and the evidence seems to point to Alicia (Sarah Carter); when Clark doubts Alicia's innocence, she forces him to unknowingly reveal his secret in front of Chloe.

Cast: Tom Welling, Kristin Kreuk, Michael Rosenbaum, Allison Mack, John Schneider, Annette O'Toole, John Glover, Sarah Carter, Jane Seymour.

Director(s): Paul Shapiro.
Producer(s): Alfred Gough, Miles Millar.
Writer(s): Holly Herold.

Original Airdate: February 2, 2005.
Old 02-02-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Light night tonight. Lost is repeat. AI in That 70s Show slot. SOTU preempts everything else. Just Smallville and Duke/Wake for me.
Old 02-02-05, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much drama. Clark should just stick it to Alicia.
Old 02-02-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Clark should have told what's his name "fuck off cradle robber" at the beginning
Old 02-02-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
OMG I didn't know Jane Seymour was his mom
Old 02-02-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't believe
Spoiler:
they actually killed alicia. what a waste of a hot piece of ass
Old 02-02-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welp, I thought the writing was too overwrought, and it's too bad someone who knew Clark's secret had to die...again. I was cringing a little when Clark was screaming "Noooooo!!! Nooooooo!!!" Tom Welling needs to stay away from the angry-angsty stuff.

So Chloe now knows Clark's secret, but the difference is that he doesn't know that she knows, so maybe she'll stay alive longer than poor unfortunate Alicia, who deserved a better fate and storyline.

Is it just me, or is Lois's nose/bridge just weird looking from certain angles?

What is up with Medicine Woman getting up in her son's business? Once again, Lana takes a late night shower, displaying a lovely silhouette for us loyal viewers.

Last edited by Patman; 02-02-05 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The ability to teleport through walls, great distances, and out of moving cars, but a rope gets wrapped around your neck and you can't teleport your hot-ass down to the ground? What a waste. Why'd they make me like the character last week just to kill her off? And what's with Clark doing NOTHING to help her. "Noooooooooo .......... Nooooooo" Try CPR dumbass. Or here's an idea, zip her to the hospital. No let's just scream, and oh look, here's Lois for no reason.

What is up with this season. It's so... not good. The first episode of the season was awesome, and set up alot of great stuff that just fell flat. What about the badass Kal and his search for shiney artifacts, Lana's weird tatoo ( i can't beleive i'm actually longing for a lana storyline), Or ANYTHING WITH THE LUTHORS, or the corpse of Margot Kidder.

Jason: "Lana doesn't want to see you."
Clark: "Who are you again? You're Adam right? The kid that wasn't batman?"
Jason: "No i'm Jason, my mom makes pointless cameos"
Clark: "Whitney?"
Old 02-02-05, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny how after the first 6-8 shows so many people were talking about how Smallville was on a run, then all of a sudden, this season sucks. Then again, considering the amount of whining and disappointment people have in this show, it makes me wonder why they continue to even watch the thing.

Certainly wasn't the best show in the series, but far from the worst as well. Oh well. The show most of the time entertains me. What can I say. I don't watch a lot of TV, and sh*t like Lost, Buffty, and Angel never did it for me.
Old 02-02-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I figured out who the villain was right away, but his motives weren't really explained too well. He just came off as another FOTW on a mission.

I half-expected to hear Clark bellow out his cries of anguish like Superman. I guess this was sort of a "part two" to last week's episode. It seemed like the Clark/Alicia story could have gone on a tad longer, or at least spread out.

Alicia was knocked out, so there wasn't much she could do while her life was slipping away. Clark faced another superhero guilt complex as a result because of decisions he had to make or of his inability to save everyone.

Chloe's discovery of Clark's secret is something I felt would most likely happen, but not until much later, like towards the end of the series' run. I still see her as the only major character that will die at that point. Anyone who knows Clark's secret either dies trying to exploit him or they die keeping/protecting it. So now she obviously a great burden on her shoulders, caught between her journalistic instincts and her feelings for Clark. Lois's peptalk to Chloe again foreshadows what her own relationship to Clark (or Superman) will be down the road.
Old 02-02-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and what is with lana's candle fetish?
does she have cradle robber pour hot wax on her while plowing her?
Old 02-02-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Dead girlfriend in your arms?
Check!

Loud "Noooooooo!" screams?
Check!

He was supposed to fly around the earth and make it spin backwards next!!!

(Seriously, I took his reaction to her death as a complete nod to the film, it was too exact to be accident)
Old 02-02-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Lame way for Alicia to go out like that.
They could have at least made the fight scene longer between clark and what's his name.

Well, I am curious about the Lionel storyline though.
Old 02-02-05, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one question about Alicia's motive for revealing Clark's secret to Chloe. Last week's episode, Alicia was willing to take a bullet and die for Clark to keep his secret. Yet, in this week, she completely contradicted herself by revealing Clark's secret to Chloe. Anyone have an explanation for this strange behavior in Alicia?
Old 02-02-05, 09:42 PM

Whenever you notice a hole in the writing like that, Mr. Mxyzptlk did it.
Old 02-02-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ClarkKentKY
The ability to teleport through walls, great distances, and out of moving cars, but a rope gets wrapped around your neck and you can't teleport your hot-ass down to the ground? What a waste. Why'd they make me like the character last week just to kill her off? And what's with Clark doing NOTHING to help her. "Noooooooooo .......... Nooooooo" Try CPR dumbass. Or here's an idea, zip her to the hospital. No let's just scream, and oh look, here's Lois for no reason.

What is up with this season. It's so... not good. The first episode of the season was awesome, and set up alot of great stuff that just fell flat. What about the badass Kal and his search for shiney artifacts, Lana's weird tatoo ( i can't beleive i'm actually longing for a lana storyline), Or ANYTHING WITH THE LUTHORS, or the corpse of Margot Kidder.

Jason: "Lana doesn't want to see you."
Clark: "Who are you again? You're Adam right? The kid that wasn't batman?"
Jason: "No i'm Jason, my mom makes pointless cameos"
Clark: "Whitney?"

That sums up some of my thoughts as well...
Old 02-02-05, 10:36 PM

but a rope gets wrapped around your neck and you can't teleport your hot-ass down to the ground?
How do you figure someone is going to teleport when she's unconscious?

Try CPR dumbass.
CPR doesn't work on a person that's been dead that long. There's a little something called brain damage from lack of oxygen. At least that's the way I took it. She certainly was hanging there quite a while after the guy put her to sleep.

"No i'm Jason, my mom makes pointless cameos"
Don't you think you should wait until that part of the storyline is revealed? If it turns out to be stupid, then would be a good time to criticize.

Why'd they make me like the character last week just to kill her off?
Agree!

Anyone have an explanation for this strange behavior in Alicia?
Well, she mentioned why she did it. Whether it was a satisfactory answer for you, is something only you can say.

Personally, I thought the first episode Crusade was good. Show was the show with the Flash. So was the show where Clark and Lionel someone switched bodies. Over the top concept, but a good show. The show where Lex was accused of killing a woman was pretty good as well.
Old 02-02-05, 10:40 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ugh.

They kill off one of the few interesting (not one-dimensional) characters on the show. That's bad enough, but at least they could have used the moment to build up a bad ass villain or something. Instead they let this lame dork Sandman ripoff do the job? Pathetic.

I really liked the introduction of Lois early in the season, but if they keep bringing her in for these pointless superfluous appearances (where she's not only wasted but also completely lacking the spark and personality she exhibited in those early episodes) she's just going to become another annoying character.

I mean, this show already has all these characters they don't know what to do with. Lana? Jason? Lex? They're all just thrown into silly personal subplots to occupy time. At least Chloe finally has some purpose after tonight. Provided they don't screw that up and have her memory wiped next episode...

And finally... Clark spends the entire first half of the episode catching hell from EVERYBODY in his life about Alicia. In the end she's found innocent (and alas, dead). Where were all the "Uh, gee, Clark... sorry about that..." comments?
Old 02-02-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think CPR really works when someone gets hanged.

But that said, i'm dissapointed that Alicia was killed off. I wish they built up the relationship between the two much longer and played the angle with everyone distrusting her for much longer. On the brightside, if the trend continues where the people that know Clark's secret leaves the show or get's knocked off, i'm glad Chloe found out since i've always hated the character and thought she brought the ugly.

I agree with the dissapointment that some of the other aspects of the show that were set up haven't gone forward, such as the artifacts and Margot Kidder's character and what not. I'm still enjoying the show quite a bit though unlike others.
Old 02-02-05, 10:50 PM

But that said, i'm dissapointed that Alicia was killed off. I wish they built up the relationship between the two much longer and played the angle with everyone distrusting her for much longer.
Now that's a criticism I can agree with. Well thought out.

I agree with the dissapointment that some of the other aspects of the show that were set up haven't gone forward, such as the artifacts and Margot Kidder's character and what not.
I agree there as well. But I guess that's a problem for a show like this. If you do everything in such a way, the show wouldn't last very long. I would like to see more shows that follow up the storylines in the first film. But they have to add filler shows. Just want to enjoy those filler shows.

I read they wanted this show to last 5 seasons. Then end it. Well, we're about halfway through with season 4.
Old 02-02-05, 10:55 PM

I'm just giving my thoughts on the episode. Maybe the reason why i thought Clark should have done CPR was because of
Spoiler:
Charlie on Lost.
No one knows how long she had been hanging there, so who knows what would have worked.

I hated Jane Seymour's first appearance in the show, and i hated this appearance. I get the same feeling about her as i did about Adam last year. He was lame continuously until he was gone.

I'm not trying to rag on the show. I love it. But its frustrating to see it when it doesn't live up to its potential. Short of the season premiere, i can't remember any of this years episodes. Reading the spoilers over at kryptonsite makes me excited about a couple of things coming up though. So there's hope yet.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 02-02-05 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the reason Alicia was killed off was because her presence was starting to turn the storyline into the "X-Men meets Smallville", and how being "different" meant persecution by humans was A-OK. With Clark a "lone wolf" so to speak, he'll be staying in the super-powered closet for a looooonnngggg time.
Old 02-02-05, 11:27 PM

No one knows how long she had been hanging there
Well, I think she was there a while. Between the guy hanging her and Clark finding her, there was a good 5-6 minute scene with Jason's mom and Lex. Plus she had dark purple areas under her eyes. I also think fumanstan is right, that CPR wouldn't work on someone who has been hung, but I'm not a doctor.

I hated Jane Seymour's first appearance in the show, and i hated this appearance. I get the same feeling about her as i did about Adam last year. He was lame continuously until he was gone.
I still say you need to wait until we find out why she is there. It's something that hasn't been revealed yet. I don't think she is just some character that pops up once in a while just to fill a hole in the show. I think something major is going to happen with her character. We'll see.

I'll be honest, when I'm watching a show like Smallville, I'm a little more lenient than I am with a show like CSI. Maybe I should be.
Old 02-02-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Maybe I will find Chloe a lot less annoying now that she knows Clark's secret.

They should have kept Alicia around for a few more eps.

The addition of Jason to the show is simply retarded - this show doesn't need anymore cast members and their accompanying sub-plots.

Not enough of the Luthors - once again.

Lois is still hot, but was completely wasted in this ep.
Old 02-03-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I expected Chloe to be the one to bite the bullet once she found out.

As many of you have said, Alicia was killed way too soon. It's funny how the same show that made me feel something for Alicia, has done nothing about the contempt I have for the whining, annoyingly holier-than-thou Lana. I was seriously hoping the shower curtain took her out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.