Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't someone sue studios for REALLY misleading DVD covers?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the frivolous law suits going on, I wondered if anyone has sued studios like Columbia/Tri-Star for mislabeling DVDs as having both WS and FS when it only contains FS or MGM for taking all the special features off some "special edition" DVDs when the prices drop and not correcting the covers to reflect the absense of said features.

Columbia Tri-Star examples at Widescreen Advocate

I think that's plenty more worthy than suing because MGM said their "A Fish Called Wanda" widescreen contained more video information than the (open matte) fullscreen.

Do any studios have services where you can exchange your lesser DVDs for ones like described on the cover, assuming there are different versions out there?
Old 02-02-05, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahem http://mgmdvdsettlement.com/

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Inc., et al. On December 13, 2002 WCC&P filed a class action complaint, Eallonardo v. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Inc. et al., Los Angeles County Superior Court Case No. BC286950. The complaint alleges that MGM's advertisements that "widescreen" DVDs provide up to 50% more image than MGM's standard screen DVDs is false and/or misleading. Plaintiffs allege that the "widescreen" DVDs show the same width of the film as the "standard screen" DVD of the same film. The complaint alleges that defendants violated the unfair competition laws, false advertising laws, the Consumer Legal Remedies Act and committed fraud.
Old 02-02-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
That's the frivolous suit I was pointing at in my post, really.
Old 02-02-05, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your best bet is to check forums like these to get the "heads up" on these rare mistakes before you purchase. I always try to read something about a DVD before I buy it.
Old 02-02-05, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidH
Your best bet is to check forums like these to get the "heads up" on these rare mistakes before you purchase. I always try to read something about a DVD before I buy it.
The problem, though, is that doesn't really do any good. I don't know about the MGM titles, but with the Columbia titles there is no way to tell whether you're buying the "good" one (with both versions) or the "bad" one (with FS only) without opening it. The only help a forum like this could be is to let you know what's inside could be different than what's indicated on the package.

Not to mention, people who aren't as obsessive as us and don't keep up with this news aren't aware that the box could be wrong.
Old 02-02-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't know about the MGM titles,
I believe it's indicated on them. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure.

but with the Columbia titles there is no way to tell whether you're buying the "good" one (with both versions) or the "bad" one (with FS only) without opening it.
I'd say your best bet is to buy them used (E-bay or half or something), since that's the only way to be sure you're getting what you want before you buy it. I don't know if stores would take them back, but either a store or the studio *should*. If they don't, threaten a lawsuit; bring up the MGM one, which is suing Best Buy, Blockbuster, and other stores in addition to MGM. [While I find that lawsuit frivolous, I am serious; bringing it up would probably help, as it's a good precedent for what you're talking about. I wouldn't reccommend actually suing, though.]

Not to mention, people who aren't as obsessive as us and don't keep up with this news aren't aware that the box could be wrong.
Do you think people like that are going to be especially bothered by it?
Old 02-02-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Do you think people like that are going to be especially bothered by it?
Are yuo saying that anyone who doesn't read/search this forum (or another site) before purchases would prefer fullscreen versions of movies?

Quite honestly, I don't know the list of titles that are listed on the back as having both widescreen and fullscreen but only has fullscreen inside. It's entirely possible I could buy one of those, and I would be bothered by it.
Old 02-02-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cynthia
With all the frivolous law suits going on, I wondered if anyone has sued studios like Columbia/Tri-Star for mislabeling DVDs as having both WS and FS when it only contains FS or MGM for taking all the special features off some "special edition" DVDs when the prices drop and not correcting the covers to reflect the absense of said features.
I suppose nobody has sued because it just isn't worth the time, effort and expense. A better option would be some consumer protection laws to ensure that the studios deliver on what they advertise. They have managed to hide behind the "no return if opened" bullshit for too long. We should have the right to return dvds that are misrepresented.
Old 02-02-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I bought "The Bear" last week, saying it had both widescreen and foolscreen versions on the back cover, but the disc was 1-sided and only had the foolscreen version. The store I got it from let me check 2 more copies and they were the same; they would have let me exchange it for something else but I've decided to send it back to Sony and demand they send me the correct disc, and until they do I won't be buying any more of their titles! If I had the time I certainly would be taking these bastards to court! What do you have to do to file a lawsuit like that anyways?