Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 and other high-priced concerts. Do you fork over the cash? (fun story too)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: How much will you pay to see a band?
$20 or less
10.11%
$21-$50
35.96%
$50-$100
33.71%
$100-200
6.74%
$201 plus-the sky is the limit
11.24%
Nothing-don't go to live shows and stumbled into this thread just because BTP started it.
2.25%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's good I'm into less known bands. I think $20 or so is the highest I've ever paid for a show. Although I have gotten photo passes for the more expensives ones I wanted to see.

A few times I almost spent $30 to see Cheap Trick, Blondie, etc. but passed.

Brown: With tickets at $100 per hour, is U2 priceless?

January 29, 2005

U2 tickets go on sale today for the first show. But they're going to be here two nights, they change the set list from night to night, so maybe it's worth later picking up a couple of seats for the second night, as well.

Wait a minute, $160 a ticket?

So two seats are going for $320, with Ticketmaster service charges sure to push it close to $360. Toss in parking, two beers, two cheeseburgers and you're at nearly $400 - about $100 per hour per person to see a concert.

Granted, a certain number of fans can go for the $49.50 floor seats and get there hours early to get a good spot for sight and sound. The privilege of a fixed seat in a good location right next to those floor general admissions, however, costs an extra $110 a chair - that you probably won't be sitting in for most of the night.

Well, we're all going to pay it anyway - chances are if you're reading this past 10:30 a.m., the first date is sold out. Hearing U2 perform songs from their great new album live, while the songs are fresh, will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. With the Hall of Fame induction and a Grammy appearance, they have the same great setup Prince used to jumpstart his spectacular 2004 tour.

But having great acts out on the road this year could mean it will be another difficult concert season for two reasons. Fans will pay high ticket prices for top acts and lower-level bands won't sell as many tickets because money already will be sucked out of the market by the bigger bands.

Artists know they can't charge what they did last summer for concert tickets. Promoters got stiffed for huge guarantees and fans stayed away.

"Clearly we've pushed (ticket prices) beyond what's reasonable," says Gary Bongiovanni, editor of the industry guide Pollstar.

But the top-tier acts can charge those premium prices and still get away with it. When Paul McCartney comes, he's not going to drop his tickets below the $250 last time, and he'll probably charge more.

If the Stones come, as rumored, it's the same deal - $250 to $300 for top tickets, unless they decide to try stadium shows.

For a couple who wants to see only three concerts this year - U2, McCartney, Stones - you're approaching about $1,000 per person to catch that trio. That's not counting all the variables thrown in - baby sitters, gasoline, having a second beer, etc.

Even George Strait's reasonably priced tickets for his March show ($59.50 at the Pepsi Center) came out to $152 a pair after service charges.

In other markets, bands such as The Eagles have put their entire tour on sale early to get the money out of the market before it's all gone. McCartney will announce his tour at the Super Bowl, and it'll likely go on sale soon after - even though our date isn't till November.

"It's smart to move the on-sale period out," Bongiovanni says. "You're taking it out of people's January budget."

By the time May and June roll around, people might have more money saved for lesser-tier acts. Those acts will be priced more reasonably this year.

"People are talking like they've learned some lessons. Clear Channel in particular is talking about significant changes," Bongiovanni says.

While it didn't happen here - Clear Channel in Denver actually had a fantastic year in 2004 - the company nationwide cut ticket prices when it was clear they weren't selling, particularly on lawn seats. It boosted some sales, but severely angered fans who had already paid full price for those tickets.

"It was terrible for long-term business," Bongiovanni says.

Lawn tickets will be cheap nationwide this year, likely including the House of Blues-run Coors Amphitheatre. That will be a tough wake-up call for artists accustomed to a big payday on the road.

"That has the potential of taking a lot of money off the artist's table. More than half the tickets are in the lawn area," Bongiovanni notes, which could affect a lot of the midlevel, older bands who tour for their bread and butter now that their huge album sales are in the past. "Their primary revenue stream is from live appearances, and if they're sitting home, they've not got any money coming it."

But that's what they're facing with big-ticket artists going out on the road. In addition to U2, McCartney and likely the Stones. The Who has let it be known that they expect to have a new album and tour in the spring. The Queen reunion (with Paul Rodgers on vocals) is taking a test-run through Europe to gauge reaction before a possible run in the States. The reunited Cream is set for May dates in London that could be the set-up for a full summer tour.

A potential Barbra Streisand/Neil Diamond double bill could charge the highest prices of the summer, but given Babs' reluctance to tour, it might never come here.

Rumors are growing stronger of a new Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band album and a tour to follow, but don't expect huge price leaps. "That's just not Bruce's style," Bongiovanni says.

And despite that 20 percent increase in ticket price since the last time U2 was here, they're hardly gouging the fans, he says.

"In today's marketplace, what U2 is doing is not way out there, considering they're acknowledged as one of the great live bands."

The big tickets

Estimated cost, at the highest ticket price, for two people to attend various concerts (cost includes two tickets, parking, two beers and two burgers):

• Rolling Stones: $720

• Paul McCartney: $620

• U2: $400

• George Strait: $184

No dates have been set for McCartney or Rolling Stones; ticket prices based on most recent show by artist in Denver.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/en...45,00.html

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 01-31-05 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 12:45 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$50-100 is pretty much my limit. I think around $75-80 was the most I've paid for a show (2003 Lollapalooza).
Old 01-31-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. That's a first. Eight votes to one response. Usually in Other I'll get a bunch of responses and less votes.

This music forum takes their polls seriously.
Old 01-31-05, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have to say the price quoted at $400 is a little high. i just got two tickets for my bf and i at Staples for $130. i don't consider that pricey. our seats are for row 200. my first concert with u2 cost my bf about 86 bucks each and the 2nd one we got smart and just got the cheaper tix. i actually got better seats paying for the 51 dollar tickets at Staples.

i guess to me (a HUGE U2 fan) this is worth the money.
Old 01-31-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

most i've EVER and will EVER pay is around $90 for excellent theatre seats to see david bowie.
Old 01-31-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Depends on the artist and my cash flow.

While I do like U2 [a lot], I can't justify spending $160 on 'em. Prince, on the other hand, I would [assuming I had it to spend]. The most i've spent [not counting travel expenses, refreshments, concert merch] was $125.
Old 01-31-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

U2 are the only band I'll pay that kind of money to see. Beyond that, almost all of the shows I go to are in the $10-30 range. For a working person like me though, its not too bad considering they only do one tour every 3-4 years. I generally prefer the smaller shows in a 1000-2000-seat theater, but I just can't pass up U2. That said, I didn't get the $165 seats. Too many images in my head of a bunch of 40-year-olds who won't really be into the show (no offense to folks who bought those seats... or to 40-year-olds ).
Old 01-31-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$50 is my limit for a ticket.

Travel expenses really add up and paying more for the tickets than the actual hotel and drive seems to be pointless.

The most i have ever paid for a ticket was $38.50 to see Weird Al...it was totally worth it but i still think that price was high.
Old 01-31-05, 02:46 PM

Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure to pay for concert tickets, it's good to have connections. The only concert I would pay for is Eminem, but I see him for free.
Old 01-31-05, 02:59 PM

For U2, the fun is just being there and I don't really care where I sit, so I'm happy with any seats. Granted, if I had the money, I'd probably pay any amount to see them.

For most bands, I think I'd spend to about $50 tops to see them. I spent about that much to see Tool. I was in Europe when Audioslave tickets went on sale, so I ended up paying about $50 a ticket to a scalper (but it was definitely worth it). I paid like $40 to see Velvet Revolver. The most I ever paid was about $150 for Woodstock 99.

If I had the money, I'd pay just about anything to see U2.

The sky is the limit for Nine Inch Nails and Bjork. It's so rare for them to both tour that it feels like a much more limited thing to actually catch them. I have yet to see Bjork.
Old 01-31-05, 04:54 PM

Would like to see U2, but the cost isn't worth it for me. I have paid more for tix before but those were for festivals. But typically, the shows I go to average around $20.
Old 01-31-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My limit is $50 and I'll only spend that to see Pearl Jam. I would also fork that over to see Alice in Chains and STP, but that's never happening again obviously.

I can't stand Ticketmaster and their Bullshit fees. Convenience fees and internet fees and other BS?? You gotta be kidding. I once bought tickets to see Our Lady Peace and the tickets were $15 each and the ticketmaster fees were another $8. More than half what the show cost!!! I would love to go to more concerts just to see bands I think are pretty good, but there's no way I can afford it.
Old 01-31-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
All I can say is i'm glad i grew up at a time where you didn't have to sell your soul to -SATAN!!!- just to get a rush for a couple of hours of good time music.I just don't see how some people do it? Don't get wrong because I've seen my share of concerts. The most I paid was $50 but that was for Pink Floyd and "THAT" was a show that was worth it.
My solution is just get the Live DVD. Think of all the benifits. You get front row and a nice big comfortable chair to relax in without people tripping all over you. You get amazing clear undistorted sound at your listening level. You get "cheap non-overpriced" beer and food. Parking-what parking problem? Fights,shoving,barfing,passed out losers--don't exist. Damm-got to take a leak but man I'm goin to miss that song--no problem--pause button. Crap I fell asleep and missed it--ding--rewind.

But number one--it's $20 and that's one time and last forever!

Kenny J.
Old 01-31-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I paid $74 per ticket to take my wife to see REM since she never had the chance. Thought we better go before they become even less relevant.
I *might* pay that for U2, but no way more than that. These prices are insane and I'm like you in that there are too many small bands worth seeing for a hell of a lot less.
Old 01-31-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

KISS is one of the few bands I would pay over $75 for a ticket.
Old 01-31-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had to go to a KISS concert this summer (don't know what the tickets prices were) and although I don't have any of their music I must admit that they do put on a great concert.
Old 01-31-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Sky is the limit for Tool and Nine Inch Nails for me. Otherwise, about 55 or so is my tops, and that's only for my other favorite bands. It's kind of like a sliding scale based on how much I really like the band and if I believe they deserve my money. Most shows I go to are 20 or less though.

I've yet to have to pay above face value for any tickets though. The most for a single ticket was $70 for Lollapalooza 2003.
Old 01-31-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sky is the limit for u2. The best live act ever so they are worth it. I saw the Elevation Tour 15 times, mostly in the $90 seats. I have paid the the big money for the Stones aswell.
Old 02-01-05, 12:29 AM

Since they only tour once every 4 years, I'd probably pay $200 for U2 if I really had to, but I always try to get the $50 general admission tickets instead.

On the other hand, I've always wanted to see The Who and the Stones, but I don't want to pay the prices they've been asking.

Live DVDs are a nice souvenir of a show, but for a great live act they're a poor substitute for the actual experience of being there.
Old 02-01-05, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cerulean
Since they only tour once every 4 years, I'd probably pay $200 for U2 if I really had to, but I always try to get the $50 general admission tickets instead.

On the other hand, I've always wanted to see The Who and the Stones, but I don't want to pay the prices they've been asking.

Live DVDs are a nice souvenir of a show, but for a great live act they're a poor substitute for the actual experience of being there.
I love live DVDs. Bands need to release more. The one good thing is , most new arenas are set up well so the worst seats are pretty good. There are still rumours that the u2 stage will be in the middle of the venue.
Old 02-01-05, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
I usually pay $15-30 for the shows I see. $50 seems to be about the limit for a concert, as that is all I would pay to see U2, despite the fact they hardly ever tour and I do like them quite a bit.

As with a couple others, I would pay just about anything to see NIN again (luckily I get to see how much that is here in the next few months).
I think the most I have ever paid for a ticket would be somewhere around $60 for the Summer Sanitarium show in 2000 (or 2001, I can't remember).

On a side note, Fiddlers Green (Coors Amptheater) is probably the worst venue in Denver. It faces the mountains, so when the sun is going down, you can't see the band for about 45 min. It's in the middle of a residential area, so the noise ordinance kicks in to end the concert around 10:30 or so.
Old 02-01-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I paid $75 to see Clapton in Milwaukee a few years back. My celing price depends on the act and my current cash situation though I can't imagine spending more than $150 for a ticket unless it's some sort of festival.
Old 02-01-05, 08:54 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I'll pay up to $30 or $40 to see a band, if I really like them.

When I saw Frank Sinatra around 10 years ago the tickets were $50 apiece, but they were a birthday gift from my wife.
Old 02-01-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Osiris
KISS is one of the few bands I would pay over $75 for a ticket.
I'm just the opposite. I wouldn't see Kiss is you paid me $75.
Old 02-01-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

luckily none of the bands im into seeing live would charge more than 20. I'd go see Bruce Springsteen or the Stones back in the day, but not when they're just feathering their nest eggs

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.