Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sorry, another Tivo "?" thread...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-31-05, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched for some Tivo info but just had a couple of quick questions...my wife is begging for a Tivo (she used it at her brother's house and loved it). I'm hoping to pick one up for Valentine's Day but just wanted to get some quick answers...can we use Tivo with our regular time warner cable service? I would be hooking it up to her combo tv (dvd/vcr built in) in the bedroom, would there be any connection issues? I saw on their website the need to buy a RF splitter...and finally, how does it use a phone line for updates? We just have the one land line in our house, are you constantly connected or is it more like dial-up internet where it connects to receive info and then frees up the line when done? Thanks for any help, appreciate it...

-matt
Old 01-31-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The typical standalone TiVo would work with anything, including Cable. It works better without a cablebox, but still works fine with one.

As for phone line, it's just like a regular phone call. Once per day (or maybe every other day), TiVo will call and check in. It doesn't last very long most days unless a software update needs to be downloaded.
Old 01-31-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
And to add, they say that the updates are generally in the early AM when the phone is most likely not in use.
Old 01-31-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
And to add, they say that the updates are generally in the early AM when the phone is most likely not in use.
Plus, TiVo is smart enough to check and see if the line is in use before dialing.

Welcom to the world of TiVo. Your life will never be the same again.
Old 01-31-05, 08:57 AM

sounds good, we don't have a cable box and actually don't use our land line that much thanks to our cell phones so this will help justify the monthly bill , thanks a lot!

-matt

p.s. Just noticed on the Tivo website that the $100 rebate expires today, do they usually have these running monthly or should I run out and buy one today?

Last edited by MattyP33; 01-31-05 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The TiVos in Best Buy's ad this week list the $100 MIR, and don't note an expiration. Their website shows the rebate as expiring on the 31st. So while I can't guarantee it, TiVo will probably run another one starting on the 1st. They've run the $100 since 10/1/04, and ended it several times, only to start it again on the next day.

That said, the sooner you get it, the happier you shall be. All hail TiVo!
Old 01-31-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You'll only need a splitter if you want to watch live tv while the tivo records something. However, you won't be able to pause, rewind, etc.
Old 01-31-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got my rebate last week from purchasing my TiVo in early November. Just thought I would let you know about the basic timeline.

That being said, I am currently considering a second unit for the bedroom. You won't regret it.