DVD Talk
Superbowl Teasers/Trailers: what will be most likely see? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Superbowl Teasers/Trailers: what will be most likely see?

Dr. DVD
01-31-05, 09:01 AM
With the SuperBowl coming up, it is a given that studios will be buying airtime for their hopeful blockbusters this Summer and maybe early Spring during the big game.
While airing during the Superbowl doesn't guarantee a hit in the long run, I noticed several large openings of summers past had Superbowl spots that I think really helped their PR campaign. Van Helsing was not a great movie by any means, but I think a Superbowl spot definitely helped it get a decent opening, and while I didn't care for it myself when I the spot, I think the one for Gladiator was what raised more public interest than any other one.

Here is what I think will go this year:

Kingdom of Heaven
Wedding Crashers
The Longest Yard-tailor made for the audience IMO

Any others that are confirmed or possible?

Shemp
01-31-05, 09:13 AM
I've heard that Spielberg's 'War of the Worlds' will have a 30-second commercial featuring footage from the movie.

talemyn
01-31-05, 09:47 AM
Earlier in the game (when the kiddies are still up), I could see a Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory trailer being put in.

Groucho
01-31-05, 09:49 AM
I want to see a real trailer for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I'm not holding my breath. Not the kind of film the Superbowl crowd will line up to see.

JLyon1515
01-31-05, 09:50 AM
Earlier in the game (when the kiddies are still up), I could see a Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory trailer being put in.

Interesting, that would be a feat. Consideing there is not such movie slated for release in the near future. :)

You mean Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Maxflier
01-31-05, 09:53 AM
I remember hearing somewhere that there would be a new Batman Begins trailer for the Super Bowl.

Geofferson
01-31-05, 10:01 AM
Definitely both Batman Begins and War of the Worlds.

talemyn
01-31-05, 10:05 AM
Interesting, that would be a feat. Consideing there is not such movie slated for release in the near future. :)

You mean Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/images/Smilies/HeadSmack.gif

DRG
01-31-05, 10:43 AM
Probably one for Constantine, just because it's the first 'big' movie opening after the Super Bowl, and they usually have at least one soon-to-be-released movie advertised among all the summer movies.

tanman
01-31-05, 12:36 PM
What about Eps. III? When will we get a new trailer for that?

QuiGonJosh
01-31-05, 01:00 PM
I think we'll get a new Ep3 trailer in March.

Stu 17
01-31-05, 01:07 PM
Groucho and others:

Over 100 million people watch the Superbowl each year in the US. There is no such thing as a "Superbowl" crowd since football fans watch it along side of non football fans. Its the only event during the year that people look forward to commercials. So just because something doesnt fit the football mold, doesnt me we shouldnt expect a trailer during the commercials.

Giles
01-31-05, 01:49 PM
I want to see a real trailer for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I'm not holding my breath. Not the kind of film the Superbowl crowd will line up to see.

even the first time I saw the teaser for this I did a very audible "hooray" at the theatre, every one else in the theatre were completely clueless to this movie (or dare say, even the book for that matter)... oh well, me thinks this will only appeal to a very small niche of fans.

animalmystic
01-31-05, 03:34 PM
You can almost bank on a Batman Begins trailer along with a Chocolate Factory trailer.

As the above poster mentioned, also with WotW too.

I personally would like to see something for Serenity, even if its a teaser.

Ghery
01-31-05, 03:54 PM
I really doubt there will be an Episode 3 commercial. Super Bowl commercials cost a lot, it's not like they need to spend that kind of money to let people know there's a new movie coming out. The media does a good job at giving Star Wars movies plenty of free press.

Jackskeleton
01-31-05, 04:17 PM
But Star Wars is Fox. Fox is showing the superbowl this year. You figure that they will included ads for their own series throughout the night.

Rammsteinfan
01-31-05, 05:42 PM
I highly doubt SW unless they show the exisiting teaser. Maybe Fantastic 4...

Ghery
01-31-05, 06:00 PM
20th Century FOX and FOX TV are seperate companies though. You can bet that 20th Century FOX will be charged for any commercials just like anyone else. You can expect to see plenty of FOX TV ads for their television shows though.

There is just not good reason for 20th Century FOX to spend that much money on a Star Wars ad, there's plenty of hype. People have heard about it before. ;)

jaeufraser
01-31-05, 06:10 PM
I remember hearing somewhere that there would be a new Batman Begins trailer for the Super Bowl.

I believe this is definately true. As far as I've heard we'll get our first real glimpse at the Scarecrow in the teaser.

Jackskeleton
01-31-05, 06:17 PM
seperate devisions of a News Corp really. I'm not saying that's the reason why they will go for it as I'm sure you will see a F4 trailer or ad on the broadcast and it's already comfirmed that War of the Worlds will get some exclusive footage shown.

and as for Fox spending money on it's own production. This is like WB charging for AOL commercials. It's all going back to the company anyways.

WB has two 30 second spots bought. So it will be two batman begins ads or a split between that and Dukes of hazard. Hitch is also going to get a spot and Buena vista is going to push the pacifier with Van Diesel.

Shannon Nutt
01-31-05, 06:33 PM
Definites for Sunday's Game:
WAR OF THE WORLDS
HITCH
THE PACIFIER
THE LONGEST YARD

Safe Bets:
BATMAN BEGINS
THE DUKES OF HAZZARD

Possibles:
BE COOL
THE PINK PANTHER

I've also heard a pretty good number of commericals this year will be in HD. That was also true of most of the movie trailers that aired during last year's Super Bowl.

Dr. DVD
01-31-05, 06:42 PM
Since it's Fox and a lot of the target audience will be watching, I am sure they will try a Kingdom of Heaven spot.

Ghery
01-31-05, 06:43 PM
"and as for Fox spending money on it's own production. This is like WB charging for AOL commercials. It's all going back to the company anyways."

True, but there's a funny thing about business. Different divisions of a business are responsible for their own profits. For example, I work for a large computer company, but my department doesn't get freebies from other departments. We have to pay for the out of our budget for any computer hardware we might need.

I would fully expect that 20th Century FOX would have to use some of their advertising budget to do any Super Bowl ads. There's absolutly no justification to spend that much on a Star Wars ad instead of another movie that could actually use some advertising to generate some hype/interest in the movie.

Joe Molotov
01-31-05, 07:12 PM

That would be cool if they showed a new HHGTG trailer during the Superbowl.

Jackskeleton
01-31-05, 08:55 PM
There's absolutly no justification to spend that much on a Star Wars ad instead of another movie

I agree completely. No real need since it already has its own built up hype. It's something you really don't have to sell anyways. I'm just saying that fox will be taking advantage of it's big price it paid to show the super bowl.

PopcornTreeCt
02-01-05, 12:16 AM
Guess there's no chance of a King Kong teaser then?

jaeufraser
02-01-05, 12:25 AM

I doubt it. Kong is a winter 2005 release. I doubt they'd splurge that much money so early on.

tanman
02-01-05, 01:14 PM
Are any of these available yet? I seem to remember the trailer coming out on the net a few days before the big game.

scott shelton
02-01-05, 01:43 PM

There's no reason for it now.

Everybody on Earth will know that film is coming out in the months before it opens. No need to spend the money now.

HN
02-03-05, 03:29 AM
Are any of these available yet? I seem to remember the trailer coming out on the net a few days before the big game.

Looks like this is the one for War of the Worlds:

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=5952
http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=waroftheworlds

Trigger
02-03-05, 03:47 AM
looks pretty sweet.

Chew
02-03-05, 07:25 AM
I've also heard a pretty good number of commericals this year will be in HD. That was also true of most of the movie trailers that aired during last year's Super Bowl.

:banana:

Deftones
02-03-05, 10:49 AM
Over at AVSForums they've been talking about most of the commercials being in HD. That will be pretty sweet. Especially the movie trailers. :up:

Fincher Fan
02-04-05, 07:57 PM
Does anybody have the ability to record and host some commericals in HD? I don't live in America but desperately want to see David Fincher's new Heinekin commercial.

Jackskeleton
02-06-05, 04:52 PM
Hey what do you know. A Fox film has been getting a big push in the pregame stuff... Robots.

who would have thunk it. ;)

Maxflier
02-06-05, 08:59 PM
Here is the link to download the Batman Begins Super Bowl trailer for anyone who is interested:

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/batmanbegins/super_tvspot/super_fullscreen.mov

Jam Master Jay
02-06-05, 10:34 PM
That Batman Begins trailer was pretty cool.

Oh and to some of the other movies that showed spots during the game.....

Vin Diesel: -ohbfrank-

Trigger
02-06-05, 10:35 PM
batman looks pretty lame to me, but I haven't seen the film yet so for all I know it's great. What gets me is how people will say what a piece of crap Catwoman is based only on the trailer and the same people will say how awesome batman will be... to me, it looks about the same. *shrug*

Anyway - thanks for posting the trailer.

RyoHazuki
02-06-05, 10:53 PM
:thumbsup: War of the Worlds and Batman

fumanstan
02-06-05, 10:55 PM
Good Batman trailer :up:

I think a response to something like Catwoman isn't based solely on the trailer itself, but more from the rest of the news/rumors/information surrounding it. While Catwoman was panned from the get go based on the lead, the costume, and the story, i've heard nothing but positive praise for Batman Begins production and much of that automatically leads to a positive impression of a trailer showing footage from the film based on the anticipation that's already there.

Goldberg74
02-07-05, 12:12 AM
Batman Begins -- http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/batman_begins/tvspot/

Constantine -- http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/constantine/tvspot/

Sahara -- http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/sahara/tvspot/

War of the Worlds -- http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/

Plus I saw Hitch, The Longest Yard, and XXX: State of the Union.

dcprules
02-07-05, 12:14 AM
Wow. Maybe it's just me, but it felt like there were a lot fewer ads for movies than they are during most super bowl's. Really, the only standouts were War of the Worlds and Batman. There are a few other movies that look good (Robots, which was heavily promoted), but not many cool spots for new summer movies. Mostly previewed stuff coming out in the next few months.

jaeufraser
02-07-05, 12:21 AM
I think a response to something like Catwoman isn't based solely on the trailer itself, but more from the rest of the news/rumors/information surrounding it.

While it's definately true, Catwoman had terrible buzz around it when its trailer debuted, and Batman has quite positive buzz around it, based largely on who's involved and other things, the Catwoman trailer looked terrible. Batman trailer looks cool, can't say it knocked my socks off, but it's a 30 second piece. And nowhere in that 30 seconds does Batman go to a bar and order milk.

Terrell
02-07-05, 12:36 AM
I actually thought the Batman Begins Super Bowl spot was fairly weak. We'll see.

War of the Worlds though is a great spot. So little show, but so incredibly effective.

darqleo
02-07-05, 02:32 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~darqleo/images/scarecrow.jpg

TheNightFlier
02-07-05, 03:20 PM

That's what caught my attention the most during the trailer not Batman.

Also seeing Morgan Freeman at the end of it was a surprise, totally forgot he was in it.

Overall the trailer served its purpose, got all of us talking about it.

Shannon Nutt
02-07-05, 03:35 PM

He was apparantly at the halftime show singing "Hey Jude" along with Paul McCartney. :)

FantasticVSDoom
02-07-05, 04:17 PM
And nowhere in that 30 seconds does Batman go to a bar and order milk.
Very good point, but at the end he does ask "does this come in black?" or something to that effect, which is the type of line that usually has people in an uproar around here.

Draven
02-07-05, 04:32 PM
Very good point, but at the end he does ask "does this come in black?" or something to that effect, which is the type of line that usually has people in an uproar around here.

Only if it was a pun.

We hate puns.

jaeufraser
02-07-05, 05:58 PM
Eh, sometime on liners work. Othertimes they don't. And other times they're just cringe inducing. Does it come in black hardly irritated me. Asking if something comes in black isn't even in the same planet of awful that ordering milk at a bar is.