Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

5.1 Button on Receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

5.1 Button on Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-05, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.1 Button on Receiver

I own the Pioneer 500W 5.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver, Model: VSXD514.
It has a DVD 5.1 button as well as a DVD/LD button, along with CD, TV/Sat, FM, etc...
When I watch a DVD and press the 5.1 button, sound only comes out of my center speaker. However, when I press the DVD/LD button, I get it out of all speakers through one of the Adv. Surround options.
This receiver has a built in DTS encoder, but yet when I put in a DVD with that feature and select it from the menu, nothing shows up.
The DVD player is connected via component connections.
What can I do to have a true surround sound experience?
Old 01-30-05, 08:59 PM
Banned

when you select it in the menu, some dvd's play a dts feature that has some sort of piano or something but some dvd's don't do nothing to show that dts is activated, If you select the DTS feature and when your playing the movie and you hear sound, more than likely it's DTS.
Old 01-30-05, 09:11 PM

The 5.1 button is probably for the analog 5.1 inputs, which would be used when connecting a player that has its own decoder (particularly DVD-A and SACD players). You wouldn't use it when playing DVD sound coming in through a digital audio input.

The component connections are only for video, not audio.

If the player's (optical or coaxial) digital audio output is connected to the receiver, and the player is set up to sent both DTS and Dolby Digital bitstreams through that output, you should get proper decoding by the receiver.

It sounds to me like you should review your connections and walk through the configuration menus on both the player and the receiver, manuals in hand, one more time.

RichC
Old 02-03-05, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SaigonaZn69
when you select it in the menu, some dvd's play a dts feature that has some sort of piano or something but some dvd's don't do nothing to show that dts is activated, If you select the DTS feature and when your playing the movie and you hear sound, more than likely it's DTS.
Right, but shouldn't my receiver show a DTS logo indicating that it's detected?
I have it setup via a digital coax, but yet only the analog logo lights up.