Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Carnivále "Old Cherry Blossom Road" 1/30

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-05, 06:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Carnivále "Old Cherry Blossom Road" 1/30

One of Ben's relatives reveals to him dark secrets - and the face of death; Balthus bears witness to more of Justin's abuse of power; Iris beseeches Justin not to keep secrets, as she protects her own; Burley wants to do business with Rita Sue; Lila finds a wealth of clues in Lodz's trailer; Ruthie continues to see visions; and Libby dances around the tension with Jones, who gives Sofie a new assignment.

Last edited by Geofferson; 01-30-05 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-30-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, did you see the pics on HBOs site for last weeks show. They show things that didnt even happen! I cant wait for tongihts though
Old 01-30-05, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Dude, did you see the pics on HBOs site for last weeks show. They show things that didnt even happen! I cant wait for tongihts though
Yeah, I saw those too. I was confused because I didn't remember seeing the eyeless grandmother at the time.

Solid episode this week. Pretty creepy scene with Ben and his grandmother. I'm sure he's happy to hear that "kin are always welcome at the table". I highly doubt he'll be back for a visit.
Old 01-30-05, 09:23 PM

Yea, great Ep. I loved all the stuff with Appy as a shadow of death thing. I also thought that dude who wanted some of Rita was going to rape Libby at the end or something.

That stuff with the Grandma was also pretty good. I liked that she went crazy and killed the whole family. But I wonder, who are the parents of the cousins since they said that "we found her in the kitchen" or something after she had killed the family. Also, was this given a reason or just that she was crazy?

And its making it seem that the Story is over and Scudder is just dead, but you know theres more. It looks like Ben and Sophie are going to get cozy, but Im guessing theyre going to reveal that theyre related or something.

Damn, this season is going fast.
Old 01-30-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Ain't nuthin' retardical about it!"

Loved the episode. Lots of story building. I love how ruthless Stroud is!
Old 01-30-05, 10:26 PM

What was Iris burning at the end? I thought it was the clothes of the maid that Justin banged, but it looks like it has something to do with the orphanage fire.

I wonder what Iris did with that maid? It was so creepy the way she was smiling like that...
Old 01-30-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it was just Celeste's clothes. I didn't see any connection to the orphanage other than Dolan tailing her, which he was doing anyway. What happened to the girl? Hopefully we'll find something out eventually.
Old 01-30-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
"Lunch counter." This show is delightfully vulgar.

I was hoping that we'd see Libby do a blow-off. Maybe next week.

I'm also not sure what Iris was burning. Since Dolan was watching, I would assume that it did have something to do with the orphanage fire, but it could've been Celeste's clothes. Which does the beg the question of what became of Celeste...

I also don't think Scudder is dead.

And the Scudder Klan indeed!

A lot of spooky stuff tonight, and all of it during the broad daylight -- Apollonia's black clad ghost, the dark at the top of the stairs, Grandma Scudder, any scene with Justin in it. Nice job.

I'm curious if there was any meaning in referring to Granny Scudder as "The Crone" other than to hide her true identity from the audience and Ben until they met face to face. In the Wiccan religion, the Crone is one aspect of the Goddess (the other two being the Maiden and the Mother) and is symbolic of wisdeom, endings, and death. And if so, would that make Sophie the Maiden? Offhand, I can't think of anyone on the show that would qualify as the Mother other than Rita, and even then it doesn't fit symbolically since she's sort of a minor character in the scheme of things.
Old 01-31-05, 12:26 AM

Appalonia the Mother maybe?

Oh and what the fuck ever happened to the bear in Bens flashback dreams?
Old 01-31-05, 01:12 AM

Ruthie would be the mother
Old 01-31-05, 01:23 AM

Oh and what the fuck ever happened to the bear in Bens flashback dreams? "Management got mauled, but killed the bear. That's why we see his hat on Management's trailer. Same Bear."
Old 01-31-05, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by circes
Oh and what the fuck ever happened to the bear in Bens flashback dreams? "Management got mauled, but killed the bear. That's why we see his hat on Management's trailer. Same Bear."
I missed that. Where was that explained? And what was a bear doing in WWI (along with Lodz)?
Old 01-31-05, 09:10 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

They've surely thrown open a firehose after previously dribbling out the plot in drips and drabs. Wasn't sure I was enthralled with this season as I was the first, but episode 3 set the hook and last night's reeled me in.

Anyone share my Texas Chainsaw Massacre musings?
Old 01-31-05, 09:11 AM

I'm 99% confident that Iris was burning Celesete's clothes. The last scene we see of her is with Iris with no clothes. Plus, it makes perfect sense. Furthermore, Scudder is not dead.
Old 01-31-05, 09:33 AM

I missed that. Where was that explained? And what was a bear doing in WWI (along with Lodz)?
Lodz was the bears trainer,it got away from him and he tracked the bear to the front lines(the bear smelling fresh meat)where mangement and Scudder were about to do battle,but the bear attacked management and mauled him/her and Scudder escaped.
Old 01-31-05, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by G. Noel Gross
Anyone share my Texas Chainsaw Massacre musings?
Old 01-31-05, 11:37 AM

Looks like Iris was indeed burning Celeste's clothes. Taken from the episode summary on HBO.com:

Convalescing later, Justin refuses details to Iris, and she becomes incensed that he is keeping secrets from her. "I will not be sacrificed," she says. Late that night she drives off into the country to burn some clothes, tailed by Tommy Dolan.
Old 01-31-05, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Looks like Iris was indeed burning Celeste's clothes. Taken from the episode summary on HBO.com:

Hmmm...to me that just confrms my suspicions that she was burning the clothes she was wearing while she burned down the orphanage.
Old 01-31-05, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by dave-o
Hmmm...to me that just confrms my suspicions that she was burning the clothes she was wearing while she burned down the orphanage.
Good point (overlooked on my part).

This is what makes this show great. Everything is not layed out for you and answered over the course of a single episode. There is plenty to discuss about this show and the burning of some clothes is apparently no exception.
Old 01-31-05, 01:14 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally Posted by dave-o
She better or the CSI folks will tan her hide.
Old 01-31-05, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.hbo.com/carnivale/cast/character/lodz.shtml
Old 01-31-05, 04:12 PM

Very cool. I didnt know there were descriptions like that on HBO. Kinda sucks this isnt explained in the show though. I mean if they show something, they should show reasons for it. I dont know, maybe its because Im not at complete privacy all the time when watching these Eps that I miss stuff.

Oh and I had a thought that Iris was burning her clothes, the night she started the fire. I thought that right when it showed her burning black clothes (werent the maids yellow?)
Old 01-31-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Anyone else noticed that The Gecko and the Siamese Twins haven't shown up yet this season?

I would've expected The Gecko to have been on hand when Lila was showing the other carnies all of Lodz's money and making accusations against Samson.
Old 01-31-05, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Anyone else noticed that The Gecko and the Siamese Twins haven't shown up yet this season?

I would've expected The Gecko to have been on hand when Lila was showing the other carnies all of Lodz's money and making accusations against Samson.
Yeah, you're right. I had forgotten all about them.
Old 01-31-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very cool. I didnt know there were descriptions like that on HBO. Kinda sucks this isnt explained in the show though. I mean if they show something, they should show reasons for it. I dont know, maybe its because Im not at complete privacy all the time when watching these Eps that I miss stuff.

Oh and I had a thought that Iris was burning her clothes, the night she started the fire. I thought that right when it showed her burning black clothes (werent the maids yellow?)
Yeah these bios are fun to read. However, I found a screw-up in Lila's bio. It says she was born in 1890 and has been married 19 times in the last 50 years. According her birth date and the current date on the show, she's only 44 years old.

http://www.hbo.com/carnivale/cast/character/lila.shtml

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.