Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I get Scotch (3M) DVD Maintenance Kit?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-05, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's supposed to be the best DVD laser lens cleaning solution out there. There's no liquid contents or anything like that -- just attached small brushes on the disc and instructions on the DVD. I was wondering has anyone tried this product? My DVD player is quite old and I have been playing lots of rental DVDs on there for quite some time, so I was hoping to perhaps get a decent improvement in audio/visual quality supposedly cleaning my DVD player....
Old 01-30-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cleaning your DVD player does not improve its AV quality. DVDs store their information in a digital format, which is not affected by how dirty the player is. In fact, I doubt that the cleaning product is of any use whatsoever.
Old 02-11-05, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess you're right. But according to the info of this item, it is supposedly better for cleaning DVD players that often purchase rental DVDs as they can get dust and things that could affect the performance of the DVD player... so I guess it couldn't hurt to buy it, eh?
Old 02-12-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kabeej
I guess you're right. But according to the info of this item, it is supposedly better for cleaning DVD players that often purchase rental DVDs as they can get dust and things that could affect the performance of the DVD player... so I guess it couldn't hurt to buy it, eh?
It sounds like you've made up your mind, but I agree with Shazam.

Have you ever really seen a rental DVD that was covered with dust? Fingerprints certainly, but I've never seen a dusty DVD. And a lens cleaner won't help if the DVD has fingerprints on it.

I'm in the camp that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't want brushes, no matter how soft they are, to be slapping into a delecite laser pickup at 500 rpm. If the lens really needs to be cleaned I'll take it to a service place that can pop the cover of the player off and clean it gently.

Regardless of what the pachaging of the 3M cleaner may say, they are trying to sell you a product you don't really need.
Old 02-12-05, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I'm in the camp that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't want brushes, no matter how soft they are, to be slapping into a delecite laser pickup at 500 rpm. If the lens really needs to be cleaned I'll take it to a service place that can pop the cover of the player off and clean it gently.
The service place will likely throw in one of those discs to clean your laser!

But I agree, unless there's a specific problem there's no need to have one of these. Putting in clean discs will keep your equipment clean.