Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Pink Floyd DVD - Which one?

tvuong
01-29-05, 06:19 PM
Any recommendation for a good picture/sound Pink Floyd DVD? Which one should I get? Thanks

emhello
01-29-05, 06:30 PM
The concerts with good sound haven't been released yet (Pulse and Delicate Sound of Thunder). It would be more helpful if you clarified your question.

pinata242
01-29-05, 06:35 PM
Roger Waters: In the Flesh Live is the best concert out on dvd right now. Rumor has it that Pulse might be out as early as March, but nothing official last I checked. Pompeii is great too, though not a concert in the strictest sense. The making of the Dark Side album is also very interesting, but that's definitely not a concert.

Like emhello said, it depends on what you're looking for.

emhello
01-29-05, 06:39 PM
[b]Rumor has it that Pulse might be out as early as March, but nothing official last I checked.

I've heard that for the past 2 years now. :( It's a shame that the shows that REALLY need to be on DVD are somehow completely negleted. Same goes for all of Rush's old concerts (Show of Hands, Exit Stage Left, etc.).

pinata242
01-29-05, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I've been following it a while myself, so I don't have my hopes up :) This is the last thing I ever saw, from http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/ on 1/15/05. It is one of my most anticipated releases but it looks like it'll be after HD-DVD hits :)

We were contacted last night by Pink Floyd's management, to let us know the latest on the long-anticipated release on DVD of the live concert video, PULSE.

The release of this title is clearly uppermost in many minds, based on the number of emails we've received over the Christmas and New Year period, asking us what the latest is on it.

Once it was realised that it would be impossible to get the PULSE DVD released in time for Christmas, a revised rough date of February/March this year was set, for the 2-disc DVD to hit the stores.

It has seemed to have developed into a bit of a long-running saga, with the band and management very keen to get it done and dusted, but with various factors holding this up. The release is now looking more likely to be out in March, but as before, this depends on certain issues being resolved.

No guarantees on the date, but it is good news that they want to make sure it is right and as good as it can be before it is released, rather than put out a substandard product, or indeed quickly follow with a "special edition" with all the missing features reinstated!

As and when we have more information on this DVD, we will of course let you know... and our thanks to PFM for the update!

TomOpus
01-29-05, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the info Pinata

"No guarantees on the date, but it is good news that they want to make sure it is right and as good as it can be before it is released, rather than put out a substandard product, or indeed quickly follow with a "special edition" with all the missing features reinstated!"

I like this part. I'll gladly wait to have a quality product.

nightmaster
01-29-05, 08:40 PM
Roger Waters: In the Flesh Live is the best concert out on dvd right now. Rumor has it that Pulse might be out as early as March, but nothing official last I checked. Pompeii is great too, though not a concert in the strictest sense. The making of the Dark Side album is also very interesting, but that's definitely not a concert.

Like emhello said, it depends on what you're looking for.

Agreed. The David Gilmour In Concert DVD is great as well. Until a live show is out from their heyday (DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall albums and songs) I'm not really excited about the other DVD releases. Pulse would be a good one to have, sans Waters unfortunately.

whaaat
01-29-05, 09:08 PM
Last I heard about Pulse, G&G (that's Gilmour and James Guthrie) were putting the finishing touches on a surround mix.

In the meantime, I'd say grab Live at Pompeii, and though it's not strictly a performance DVD, the Classic Albums: DSOTM to tide you over. The Dave Gilmour and Roger Waters live DVDs are pretty nice as well.

Has anybody heard anything about potential releases of The Wall live?

tvuong
01-29-05, 09:09 PM
Thanks guys. I have most of Pink Floyds CDs and was curious of any good concert DVD out there with good video and 5.1 sound. Now I'm excited about this Pulse DVD if it ever make it in March. How is Dark side of the moon, The Wall? Thanks again.

Rypro 525
01-29-05, 09:13 PM
the wall is a movie. (watch that one when stoned) there is a concert cd of the wall entitled "is there anyone out there) which is pretty good.
is the watters in the flesh dvd anamorphic?

tvuong
01-29-05, 09:14 PM
I just check amazon.com and they have Pink Floyd PULSE [DVD] Live in Earls Court London (1995) available to ship in 1-2 days. Is this the Pulse we're talking about? If not, how is this Pulse DVD? Thanks

pinata242
01-29-05, 09:29 PM
is the watters in the flesh dvd anamorphic?

I'm pretty sure it is anamorphic. I don't have a 16x9 display to test on, but I remember playing with my dvd players options with that as a test disc and it appeared anamorphic.

That and The Digital Bits review says it is :)
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/watersintheflesh.html

hifisapien
01-29-05, 09:51 PM
By all means get the Pompeii DVD. The 60 minute "concert" only version on the DVD is killer.

aspikes
01-29-05, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys. I have most of Pink Floyds CDs and was curious of any good concert DVD out there with good video and 5.1 sound. Now I'm excited about this Pulse DVD if it ever make it in March. How is Dark side of the moon, The Wall? Thanks again.

CDs? I have just about every cd and had all the vhs tapes at one time including Live at Pompeii, La Carrera Panamericana (don't know if ever released on DVD), The Wall (movie) and I think I had Roger Water's:The Wall Live at Berlin, but can't find it (worth Checking out)! Anyway IMHO if you like Pink Floyd as much as I do you need to pick up every album from Meddle to The Wall. Those are Pink Floyd's best years. I have 3 of the 4 Waters solo albums and they are Ok at best. Gilmour's solo are even less worthy. A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell are both great albums as is there tour cds: Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse. However neither are anywhere close to Meddle, DSotM, WYWH, Animals, and the Wall! Pink Floyd w/o Roger just is not the same band. BTW, don't bother with the Final Cut. Even though Roger is still with them its not to good.

I still remember Pink Floyd Pulse Tour at Texas Stadium on Friday Night. You could see the lighting above Texas Stadium through the hole in the roof. It added to what was and still is the best concert I have ever witnessed. That concert site would make a great dvd release for Pulse.

If I had it my way, I would love to see Pink Floyd release one of the tour dates during The Wall tour between Feb 7, 1980 to August of that year. During these shows they would actually build the Wall. However I doubt that Roger will ever agree to let Pink Floyd release this footage but would make for a great dvd.

On a side note, Dark Side of the Moon spent 14 years on the Billboard's Top 200 Chart! Johnny Mathis "Greatest Hits" is second at 9 and a half years.

aspikes
01-29-05, 09:58 PM
By all means get the Pompeii DVD. The 60 minute "concert" only version on the DVD is killer.

:up: Will have to upgrade my vhs to dvd, thanks.

aspikes
01-29-05, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure it is anamorphic. I don't have a 16x9 display to test on, but I remember playing with my dvd players options with that as a test disc and it appeared anamorphic.

That and The Digital Bits review says it is :)
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/watersintheflesh.html

I have a widescreen Hidef tv and this dvd rocks and is anamorphic! It is also region code 1,3,4,5, and 6. It looks about as good as some of my HD tv channels including HDnet which shows many live performances in HiDef. On the cover of the dvd (in my hand) it states "Deluxe DVD Video Edition Featuring: A high Definition Live Concert Video with 5.1 Dolby Digital and Surrund Encoded PCM stereo".

aspikes
01-29-05, 10:16 PM
I just check amazon.com and they have Pink Floyd PULSE [DVD] Live in Earls Court London (1995) available to ship in 1-2 days. Is this the Pulse we're talking about? If not, how is this Pulse DVD? Thanks

I did a search and it shows that this DVD release date was cancelled. Screen format is FULL SCREEN 4:3 :mad: . This DVD is an import and I am going to wait to see if they do release one here (good'ol US of A) in anamorphic widescreen. BTW, Digital Eyes has it for $18.49. :up: If you can't wait!

Slowpc
01-29-05, 11:12 PM
Would love to get pulse on dvd , still got the vhs ... but it is starting to wear down.

Cameron
01-29-05, 11:27 PM
i had the pulse dvd and sold it years ago for a small fortune...i picked it up at a wherehouse music going out of business sale in dallas...other finds that day...kiss unplugged.....

the pulse cd is great and should hold you over....the wall movie is great, and pompeii is a good watch

ctyankee
01-30-05, 12:09 AM
Another :up: for Roger Waters: In the Flesh as well. A Pulse DVD would be terrific and I can heartily recommend the CD set to anyone.

I think all of the original music Floyd CDs offer something of merit however (and obviously) not every album is for everyone. For example consider the album The Final Cut. For those of us in corporate America I'd suggest going into your next conference room meeting with The Fletcher Memorial Home playing in your mind. It might not help improve your sanity (during the meeting) but it might help you keep your sense of humor. ;)

Jepthah
01-31-05, 09:24 PM
Pompeii is an absolute MUST. One of the best things Floyd ever did, and the most complete audiovisual record of them as a 4-piece, muscular, pioneering band.

chente
01-31-05, 09:34 PM
I've got Pulse on Laserdisc and it sounds great. I love the sequence where they do the entire Dark Side of the Moon album.

ctyankee
01-31-05, 10:50 PM
Pompeii is an absolute MUST. One of the best things Floyd ever did, and the most complete audiovisual record of them as a 4-piece, muscular, pioneering band.

I love the Floyd ... but muscular?

emhello
02-01-05, 04:33 AM
Still can't believe Pulse hasn't been released properly on DVD yet.

tvuong
02-02-05, 02:51 PM
Is it 5.1 sound? Widescreen? Thanks.

Johnny Zhivago
02-02-05, 03:28 PM
This topic begins and ends with Live at Pompeii.

gutwrencher
02-02-05, 06:36 PM
This topic begins and ends with Live at Pompeii.

:thumbsup:

although I'd really love to have an Animals or Meddle tour disc. Animals because that is the first tour I ever saw live. I was 13 and soaked in the rain. what a show!!! 1976 and '77 were great years for seeing Floyd and Rush, live.

Jepthah
02-02-05, 09:08 PM
Is it 5.1 sound? Widescreen? Thanks.

No, and yes. It's a more than 30 year-old film (with some recent alterations). Just get it.

pinata242
02-03-05, 11:02 AM
According to the weekly bargain thread here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408125

Pompeii will be $9.99 at Best Buy the week of 2/6 - 2/12. Jump on it!

ctyankee
02-03-05, 01:19 PM
At that price, its a no-brainer for the Floyd fan.

Just be aware that this is a film, not a concert. To me Echoes is the highlight followed by Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun even with the seemingly endless 360 degree camera swings around Nick Mason's drum set ... o.k. we get it ... even Echoes is virtually without Roger Waters as they mucked up the camera shots that were on him (at least he was playing).

Other things like Brain Damage are really just portions of the the song with seemingly pointless studio session moments.

Some of the interviews and discussions of the band are quite interesting particularly the interaction between band members ... quite telling really.

thelwig14
02-03-05, 06:13 PM
The only thing about Pompei is it is before 3 of their best albums.

K&AJones
02-03-05, 06:33 PM
A friend got me "The Dark Side Of the Moon" DVD and it's more documentry than anything. But it does go into allot of detail abut the songs and how some of the sounds came about. Even Alan Parsons is on it and talks about some of the "special effects". Not a bad choice for an inside look on how one of the all time landmark albums was created.

Kenny J.

gutwrencher
02-03-05, 07:25 PM
The only thing about Pompei is it is before 3 of their best albums.

and after 3 of their best. I grew up with Obscured By Clouds and the killer collection....Relics...not to mention, Meddle. My personal fave, though? Atom Heart Mother

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002U9W.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

emhello
02-03-05, 08:07 PM
I wonder if there is even a decent video recording of an Animals-era show in existence? Talk about a holy grail for Floyd fans.

gutwrencher
02-03-05, 08:26 PM
I wonder if there is even a decent video recording of an Animals-era show in existence? Talk about a holy grail for Floyd fans.

I might have to kill for that.

emhello
02-03-05, 08:47 PM
I have a near-perfect quality 74 live BBC recording of the Dark Side of the Moon album, but I have no idea whether the same show was recorded on videotape. A lot of BBC performances were recently sold to private collectors. I hope that show was videotaped!

tvuong
02-04-05, 05:48 PM
Just be aware that this is a film, not a concert. .
I thought someone here earlier mentioned it's a concert DVD?

ctyankee
02-04-05, 07:46 PM
I thought someone here earlier mentioned it's a concert DVD?

Just google it and you can read reviews of the film for yourself.

Regarding some of the points recently raised Floyd fans are a varied lot with strong differences in what they like and what they don't like of the Floyd's music. That should be crystal clear to anyone that has visited some of the Floyd forums. Some people think that the Syd years were the real deal others believe the group really took form after he left. You have Waters fans, Gilmore fans ... devoted fans of each and every album.

That's the beauty of it ... there is something for most everyone.

Shine On.

gutwrencher
02-06-05, 01:56 PM
Pompeii will be $9.99 at Best Buy the week of 2/6 - 2/12. Jump on it!

Giving this a bump in case anyone missed it. at this price, this dvd is a steal for anyone even remotely interested in the Floyd.

pinata242
02-16-05, 12:04 PM
Latest update on Pulse by http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/

The last we reported was that a rough date of February/March this year was set, for the 2-disc DVD to hit the stores.

We spoke with PFM today to find out the latest on the release. In an effort to ensure that this is as good a release as possible, every aspect is being checked closely. As part of this, additional work is being done to upgrade the picture quality. The good news is that the work on this was completed last Friday.

They are now reviewing all the content (the extras which are to be packed onto this set) to select the best possible. Having talked about some of the proposed extras with PFM, there's some interesting and unusual stuff that looks likely to end up on the finished product.

With this additional work, a revised date is now being worked out. Whilst they couldn't commit to a firm date, the middle of this year is now looking realistic. They do realise that this may disappoint you, but assure us that it is only being done to make sure the final release of this is the best that they can provide.

It is worth reiterating that any versions of Pulse currently being offered on DVD in various places worldwide, are all fakes. This includes copies that proport to be official limited edition pressings from a few years back.

I know, I know, but at least there's new news, right?

ctyankee
02-16-05, 12:57 PM
Latest update on Pulse by http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/

I know, I know, but at least there's new news, right?

Well, I guess 'later versus sooner' is new news, just disappointing news. Saying that someone is unhappy with the video could mean anything from having to virtually start over with the video transfer (like David Lynch did with Eraserhead) to some smaller problem. As they admit to not even having the supplements locked, that's like saying 'even if we had the video we don't even have the supplements ready and approved.'

And with the Floyd (while we love them) the 'approval process' has to be a bitch.

Think Fall '05.

ShagMan
02-16-05, 01:36 PM
my question is: will the Pulse DVD have a blinking LED? Mine worked for YEARS... maybe I should go replace the battery so it can remind me to keep checking for DVD news every time I walk past it :)

tvuong
02-16-05, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=pinata242]Latest update on Pulse by http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/We spoke with PFM today to find out the latest on the release. In an effort to ensure that this is as good a release as possible, every aspect is being checked closely. As part of this, additional work is being done to upgrade the picture quality. QUOTE]

I hope they won't disappoint us. I don't mind waiting as long as they give us their best.

emhello
02-16-05, 03:08 PM
I hope they have some old mid to late-70s shows on video somewhere in the archives!

pinata242
02-16-05, 03:12 PM
One extra I always wanted with this was an alternate "angle" that just showed the action on the giant circle display in the background with the regular audio track. I think that would be a great feature.

TomOpus
02-16-05, 06:47 PM
I would've been very happy with just the concert so I'm very happy to hear there will be some nice extras (crossing fingers).