Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pink Floyd DVD - Which one?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-29-05, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendation for a good picture/sound Pink Floyd DVD? Which one should I get? Thanks
Old 01-29-05, 05:30 PM

The concerts with good sound haven't been released yet (Pulse and Delicate Sound of Thunder). It would be more helpful if you clarified your question.
Old 01-29-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Roger Waters: In the Flesh Live is the best concert out on dvd right now. Rumor has it that Pulse might be out as early as March, but nothing official last I checked. Pompeii is great too, though not a concert in the strictest sense. The making of the Dark Side album is also very interesting, but that's definitely not a concert.

Like emhello said, it depends on what you're looking for.
Old 01-29-05, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
[b]Rumor has it that Pulse might be out as early as March, but nothing official last I checked.
I've heard that for the past 2 years now. It's a shame that the shows that REALLY need to be on DVD are somehow completely negleted. Same goes for all of Rush's old concerts (Show of Hands, Exit Stage Left, etc.).
Old 01-29-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I've been following it a while myself, so I don't have my hopes up This is the last thing I ever saw, from http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/ on 1/15/05. It is one of my most anticipated releases but it looks like it'll be after HD-DVD hits

We were contacted last night by Pink Floyd's management, to let us know the latest on the long-anticipated release on DVD of the live concert video, PULSE.

The release of this title is clearly uppermost in many minds, based on the number of emails we've received over the Christmas and New Year period, asking us what the latest is on it.

Once it was realised that it would be impossible to get the PULSE DVD released in time for Christmas, a revised rough date of February/March this year was set, for the 2-disc DVD to hit the stores.

It has seemed to have developed into a bit of a long-running saga, with the band and management very keen to get it done and dusted, but with various factors holding this up. The release is now looking more likely to be out in March, but as before, this depends on certain issues being resolved.

No guarantees on the date, but it is good news that they want to make sure it is right and as good as it can be before it is released, rather than put out a substandard product, or indeed quickly follow with a "special edition" with all the missing features reinstated!

As and when we have more information on this DVD, we will of course let you know... and our thanks to PFM for the update!
Old 01-29-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Thanks for the info Pinata

"No guarantees on the date, but it is good news that they want to make sure it is right and as good as it can be before it is released, rather than put out a substandard product, or indeed quickly follow with a "special edition" with all the missing features reinstated!"

I like this part. I'll gladly wait to have a quality product.
Old 01-29-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Roger Waters: In the Flesh Live is the best concert out on dvd right now. Rumor has it that Pulse might be out as early as March, but nothing official last I checked. Pompeii is great too, though not a concert in the strictest sense. The making of the Dark Side album is also very interesting, but that's definitely not a concert.

Like emhello said, it depends on what you're looking for.
Agreed. The David Gilmour In Concert DVD is great as well. Until a live show is out from their heyday (DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall albums and songs) I'm not really excited about the other DVD releases. Pulse would be a good one to have, sans Waters unfortunately.
Old 01-29-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last I heard about Pulse, G&G (that's Gilmour and James Guthrie) were putting the finishing touches on a surround mix.

In the meantime, I'd say grab Live at Pompeii, and though it's not strictly a performance DVD, the Classic Albums: DSOTM to tide you over. The Dave Gilmour and Roger Waters live DVDs are pretty nice as well.

Has anybody heard anything about potential releases of The Wall live?
Old 01-29-05, 08:09 PM

Thanks guys. I have most of Pink Floyds CDs and was curious of any good concert DVD out there with good video and 5.1 sound. Now I'm excited about this Pulse DVD if it ever make it in March. How is Dark side of the moon, The Wall? Thanks again.
Old 01-29-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the wall is a movie. (watch that one when stoned) there is a concert cd of the wall entitled "is there anyone out there) which is pretty good.
is the watters in the flesh dvd anamorphic?
Old 01-29-05, 08:14 PM

I just check amazon.com and they have Pink Floyd PULSE [DVD] Live in Earls Court London (1995) available to ship in 1-2 days. Is this the Pulse we're talking about? If not, how is this Pulse DVD? Thanks
Old 01-29-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
is the watters in the flesh dvd anamorphic?
I'm pretty sure it is anamorphic. I don't have a 16x9 display to test on, but I remember playing with my dvd players options with that as a test disc and it appeared anamorphic.

That and The Digital Bits review says it is
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...ntheflesh.html
Old 01-29-05, 08:51 PM

By all means get the Pompeii DVD. The 60 minute "concert" only version on the DVD is killer.
Old 01-29-05, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by tvuong
Thanks guys. I have most of Pink Floyds CDs and was curious of any good concert DVD out there with good video and 5.1 sound. Now I'm excited about this Pulse DVD if it ever make it in March. How is Dark side of the moon, The Wall? Thanks again.
CDs? I have just about every cd and had all the vhs tapes at one time including Live at Pompeii, La Carrera Panamericana (don't know if ever released on DVD), The Wall (movie) and I think I had Roger Water's:The Wall Live at Berlin, but can't find it (worth Checking out)! Anyway IMHO if you like Pink Floyd as much as I do you need to pick up every album from Meddle to The Wall. Those are Pink Floyd's best years. I have 3 of the 4 Waters solo albums and they are Ok at best. Gilmour's solo are even less worthy. A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell are both great albums as is there tour cds: Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse. However neither are anywhere close to Meddle, DSotM, WYWH, Animals, and the Wall! Pink Floyd w/o Roger just is not the same band. BTW, don't bother with the Final Cut. Even though Roger is still with them its not to good.

I still remember Pink Floyd Pulse Tour at Texas Stadium on Friday Night. You could see the lighting above Texas Stadium through the hole in the roof. It added to what was and still is the best concert I have ever witnessed. That concert site would make a great dvd release for Pulse.

If I had it my way, I would love to see Pink Floyd release one of the tour dates during The Wall tour between Feb 7, 1980 to August of that year. During these shows they would actually build the Wall. However I doubt that Roger will ever agree to let Pink Floyd release this footage but would make for a great dvd.

On a side note, Dark Side of the Moon spent 14 years on the Billboard's Top 200 Chart! Johnny Mathis "Greatest Hits" is second at 9 and a half years.
Old 01-29-05, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by hifisapien
By all means get the Pompeii DVD. The 60 minute "concert" only version on the DVD is killer.
Will have to upgrade my vhs to dvd, thanks.
Old 01-29-05, 09:04 PM

I'm pretty sure it is anamorphic. I don't have a 16x9 display to test on, but I remember playing with my dvd players options with that as a test disc and it appeared anamorphic.

That and The Digital Bits review says it is
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...ntheflesh.html
I have a widescreen Hidef tv and this dvd rocks and is anamorphic! It is also region code 1,3,4,5, and 6. It looks about as good as some of my HD tv channels including HDnet which shows many live performances in HiDef. On the cover of the dvd (in my hand) it states "Deluxe DVD Video Edition Featuring: A high Definition Live Concert Video with 5.1 Dolby Digital and Surrund Encoded PCM stereo".
Old 01-29-05, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by tvuong
I just check amazon.com and they have Pink Floyd PULSE [DVD] Live in Earls Court London (1995) available to ship in 1-2 days. Is this the Pulse we're talking about? If not, how is this Pulse DVD? Thanks
I did a search and it shows that this DVD release date was cancelled. Screen format is FULL SCREEN 4:3 . This DVD is an import and I am going to wait to see if they do release one here (good'ol US of A) in anamorphic widescreen. BTW, Digital Eyes has it for $18.49. If you can't wait!
Old 01-29-05, 10:12 PM

Would love to get pulse on dvd , still got the vhs ... but it is starting to wear down.
Old 01-29-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the pulse dvd and sold it years ago for a small fortune...i picked it up at a wherehouse music going out of business sale in dallas...other finds that day...kiss unplugged.....

the pulse cd is great and should hold you over....the wall movie is great, and pompeii is a good watch
Old 01-29-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Another for Roger Waters: In the Flesh as well. A Pulse DVD would be terrific and I can heartily recommend the CD set to anyone.

I think all of the original music Floyd CDs offer something of merit however (and obviously) not every album is for everyone. For example consider the album The Final Cut. For those of us in corporate America I'd suggest going into your next conference room meeting with The Fletcher Memorial Home playing in your mind. It might not help improve your sanity (during the meeting) but it might help you keep your sense of humor.
Old 01-31-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pompeii is an absolute MUST. One of the best things Floyd ever did, and the most complete audiovisual record of them as a 4-piece, muscular, pioneering band.
Old 01-31-05, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got Pulse on Laserdisc and it sounds great. I love the sequence where they do the entire Dark Side of the Moon album.
Old 01-31-05, 09:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jepthah
Pompeii is an absolute MUST. One of the best things Floyd ever did, and the most complete audiovisual record of them as a 4-piece, muscular, pioneering band.
I love the Floyd ... but muscular?
Old 02-01-05, 03:33 AM

Still can't believe Pulse hasn't been released properly on DVD yet.
Old 02-02-05, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jepthah
Is it 5.1 sound? Widescreen? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.