Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : $100 for VHS tapes back in the day?

corycouger
01-29-05, 02:56 PM
Was it true that most movies bought by the video rental outlets cost around $100+ for just one title?

I remember asking the guy at the video store about this and he said those tapes cost a lot because the quality was better and they were made up of stronger tape that can last longer for repeat viewings.

Is all the above true?

Sanitarium
01-29-05, 03:05 PM
Most new releases sold to video stores for rental were over $100. It had nothing to do with the quailty of the tapes. It was due to the fact that they were for rental and the store was going to make money off them. Also, it was usually a long time before a typical consumer could buy a movie in a store. Renting was the only option in many cases.

darkflounder
01-29-05, 03:05 PM
My dad paid $89.99 for Ghostbusters when it first came out on VHS. I believe it was Top Gun that was the first priced to own VHS movie (and that was due to the Pepsi sponsorship).

Rubix
01-29-05, 03:06 PM
the studios would sell the vhs tapes to rental stores for high prices because they knew the rental places would pay for it and regular people wouldn't. then later after a few months they'd put out a regular retail copy which was the same tape but for a lower price for consumers. the quality was the same.

fitprod
01-29-05, 03:10 PM
1. Yes, during the 80's and until the day DVD took over, most rental tapes cost around $99 SRP, with a cost around $65 to $85 for the retailer. (I believe T2 was selling for around $110 when it streeted on tape.)

2. The video store clerk was somewhat delierious, VHS tape was VHS tape and it all was subject to the same wear and tear. The only argument he might have had was Dance With Wolves, which was notorious of snapping when it was released for sell through and for $5.99 at McDonalds. It was a three hour tape whose material was thinnner than the standard two hour tape, causing it to fail.

fitprod

PopcornTreeCt
01-29-05, 03:10 PM
And Blockbuster recently tried forcing the same practice on DVDs. Hence, why they are the Devil.

Filmmaker
01-29-05, 03:34 PM
This was one of the major reasons (the other being the dearth of widescreen VHS titles at the time) that pushed me to become a LaserDisc (and, by extension, a DVD) collector...

critterdvd
01-29-05, 03:35 PM
I remember when Scream First came out on video I paid $70 for it....

Al Padrino
01-29-05, 03:46 PM
That's why premium movie channels were also such a big hit back then. I remember absolutely dying to get Dick Tracy when it came out, but it carried a $90 price tag, so we waited until it showed up on Showtime. I must've watched that tape at least 100 times.

marty888
01-29-05, 03:59 PM
There were very few sell-through prices in the early days of VHS - for one thing, I guess the concept of "owning" a movie was considered bizarre.

I bought my first VCR in 1984, and it was a few years before I ever owned a movie (except for all the goodies taped off HBO etc.). I remember in the late 80's finding a place that sold USED tapes, and was thrilled to find several titles I wanted that were only $20-$40 each! The first few sell-through items were public domain titles that sold for $19.95 each.

Think about all that before you start bitching about DVD prices - even Criterions are cheaper than any VHS tapes you could have bought 20 years ago.

kar10
01-29-05, 04:01 PM
....And then piracy took over ;)

mikehunt
01-29-05, 04:10 PM
as a kid for some reason some company sent my parents a catalog every few months that sold movies. most were new releases and were $100 or so

Max Bottomtime
01-29-05, 04:17 PM
I bought M*A*S*H and Wizard of Oz in 1981 for around $80 each. After that, I subscribed to a premium service and taped from their broadcasts. Occasionally you can still find rental pricing, but it's rare now. As PopcornTreeCT mentioned, Blockbuster attempted to control DVD sales this way.

Dmacsg1
01-29-05, 04:43 PM
Video tapes were made of sturdier material back then as well! I remember buying Tron and Star Trek III:The Search For Spock. Those tapes felt like lead weights compared to new release videos today!

Take care all!!

schbee
01-29-05, 05:00 PM
They did cost most video stores $65-$75. In the late 80s I made a killing Buying excess copies from large stores after 30 days and then selling them to smaller stores. I would pay $22 and sell for $35. Once blockbuster starting killing Mom and Pops I had to get a real job

Mike Lowrey
01-29-05, 05:14 PM
I remember when Robocop was still in $90 rental price hell. I fortunately found a used copy in an Indianapolis video store for only like $20 or so, when I was up there visiting some friends. I even called around several stores to find the damn thing.

God, I'm glad those days are over. I probably would've had a much larger VHS collection if it weren't for the long rental-to-retail periods for movies. I guess the studios didn't quite understand the market those days. I guess they focused too much on the box-office draw than what a title could make in video sales.

The advent of DVD and relatively quick turn-around from theater to DVD is why I don't go to the theater anymore. However, I may go see Episode III in May. But if we get word on when the DVD will be released, I may just wait.

I predict that whenever widescreen TVs become the standard norm for home viewing, movie theater going will drop off tremendously and it's then when we might see the ol' Spaceballs joke become reality, where the video sales will be available at the same time, or very shortly after the theatrical release.

gjamesm
01-29-05, 05:18 PM
Back in the day, new releases at Columbia House were $100.00

ScottsDvds
01-29-05, 05:45 PM
I remember when Scream First came out on video I paid $70 for it....
I feel better for paying $31.98 at Ken Cranes for the laserdisc. If I remember the laserdisc was delayed.

buckee1
01-29-05, 07:13 PM
I paid $103.00 for Bram Stoker's Dracula on VHS back in the day when it was first released and I also paid $63 for Alien when that was released on VHS as well. And to add insult to injury, neither of the titles were released in their OAR. That's right, $166 worth of FS/PS goodness.

Class316
01-29-05, 07:29 PM
Hence why piracy was so popular in the VHS days.

I think as recently as Star Wars I the VHS tape was very expensive

QuiGonJosh
01-29-05, 07:41 PM
This thread makes me remember that VHS sucked...hard! :)

cultshock
01-29-05, 07:54 PM
Hence why piracy was so popular in the VHS days.

I think as recently as Star Wars I the VHS tape was very expensive

Many new VHS releases are still rental priced (but probably closer to $50.00 now, compared to $100.00) but there are a lot more new release VHS titles at sell through pricing than there used to be.

I believe that the first major studio new release that had sell through pricing was STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN. Even so, it was still around $30-40.00, but it was a lot better than $100, and sold quite well at the time.

The Cow
01-29-05, 08:01 PM
Was it true that most movies bought by the video rental outlets cost around $100+ for just one title?

I remember asking the guy at the video store about this and he said those tapes cost a lot because the quality was better and they were made up of stronger tape that can last longer for repeat viewings.

Is all the above true?
Yes for the cost. Not because of the quality. And they still easily made their money back from rentals.

What is the point of this thread? (oops, nevermind, just noticed it was a corycouger)

djtoell
01-29-05, 08:24 PM
I bought The Rocky Horror Picture Show for ~$100 when it was first issued on VHS by Fox.

DJ

nightmaster
01-29-05, 08:31 PM
I remember The Hunt For Red October going for $100......seems like we all remember different titles as far as low price sell through breakouts. I was thinking 48 Hours was the first movie to be released with a low MSRP of $19.95, followed closely by Star Trek II, The Running Man and Steel Dawn.......I recall they even made the latter two covers look the same by running a facial shot of Arnold and Swayze in a grey hue.

Sanitarium
01-29-05, 08:42 PM
I remember The Hunt For Red October going for $100......seems like we all remember different titles as far as low price sell through breakouts. I was thinking 48 Hours was the first movie to be released with a low MSRP of $19.95, followed closely by Star Trek II, The Running Man and Steel Dawn.......I recall they even made the latter two covers look the same by running a facial shot of Arnold and Swayze in a grey hue.

I remember The Hunt For Red October tape being red instead of black. That was pretty cool.

packaok
01-29-05, 09:24 PM
Back in 1985, when we first got a VCR, my dad joined the CBS Video Club. This was the pre-cursor to the modern Columbia House clubs... When he joined, we got 2 videos for $4.95 each and the option of a 3rd for $19.95. Then, we had to buy 4 more within the next year at regular club prices ($39.99-$79.99).

Our introductory titles were Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. The $19.95 title was Patton. Our fulfillment titles were Ghostbusters ($79.99), Return of the Jedi ($79.99), Friday the 13th Part 1 ($39.99), and Friday the 13th Part 2 ($39.99).

Looking back, it was completely ridiculous... However, it was great being the only kid in the neighborhood with the Star Wars Trilogy!

Kaiser Soze
01-29-05, 09:30 PM
Looking back, it was completely ridiculous... However, it was great being the only kid in the neighborhood with the Star Wars Trilogy!

I know what you mean. We were the only house in the neighborhood with HBO. I recorded the Star Wars trilogy and was the envy of every kid on the block. We seriously must have watched that tape hundreds of times.

Dabaomb
01-29-05, 11:21 PM
What is the point of this thread? (oops, nevermind, just noticed it was a corycouger)

rotfl

CoreyCougar, the guy where over 50% of his posts are new threads (304 out of 541) Link. (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/member.php?u=56088)

Damien666Omen
01-30-05, 09:44 AM
How come I got Batman in 1991 or 1990 somewhere there for $20?

I was like 6 at the time so don't kill me, when did VHS titles go down to $20?

QuiGonJosh
01-30-05, 09:47 AM
around that time I believe.

nightmaster
01-30-05, 02:39 PM
I remember The Hunt For Red October tape being red instead of black. That was pretty cool.

Yup. Made it hard for me to burn with the others scads pf tapes I was replacing with DVD :)

nightmaster
01-30-05, 02:48 PM

Well, I bought my first VCR in late 1982 when they finally came down around the $500 price, plus three VHS tapes (on sale) for $25.....so by 1990 the format was pretty well established.

Regarding clubs, I joined a Poloroid tape club that got me the first two releases for like $10 with a three year commitment to buy three more at prices like $29.95-$39.95. My two initial purchases were Ali-Frazier II and III on one tape and Which Way Is Up?. They must have folded very quickly because after I got my tapes I don't recall ever hearing from them again.

Dazed
01-30-05, 03:12 PM
growing up in UK they were just over 60 pounds.

Rain Man I think was one of the first where they released a rental only version (which cost about 14.99) and a Consumer version (which cost 9.99) . Each version had TO RENT or TO BUY in large letter all over it to stop some video stores renting the cheaper version.

TheKing
01-30-05, 06:38 PM

Batman was my first owned VHS movie. I got it for Christmas 1989 I believe. My mother bought it for me from the Home Shopping Network of all places, and it was like $10-$15, somewhere in that range.

Ironically enough, I still have the tape, as it's one of only two movies I haven't upgraded to DVD yet (The Jerk being the other). Looks like I'll finally be able to put VHS to rest this year, as both movies should have SE's released.

DealMan
01-30-05, 06:57 PM
Pretty much everything in this thread is true, except that Blockbuster was pushing for rental-priced DVD windows, another unfortunate BBV urban legend, sigh......

HistoryProf
01-30-05, 10:32 PM
while all this is true, it should be remembered that the prices would come down after a 6-12 month window for most films....the retail pricing was meant to give rental places an advantage while the movie was new, but once it was off the new-release shelf they came down to $19.95 kind of lists....especially once stores started regularly selling previewed tapes in the mid-90s. (I remember being ecstatic when they'd finally show up for $12.99 - 14.99 used at Hollywood video!)

Josh-da-man
01-30-05, 11:22 PM
Yes, back in the early days of VHS, pre-recorded movies cost in the neighborhood of $100 retail. (Woe unto anyone who lost a rental tape!) This was in the early 80s.

The pricing scheme carried on for many years, even as VHS tapes were eventually being "priced to own," as a way to soak the video stores. The high priced tapes were considered to be "rental priced" and then, after six months or a year, the price dropped to somewhere in the neighborhood of $20.00 and were "priced to own."

Aside from being priced for rental, I think that another reason for the $100 VHS tapes in the early days was because the studios absolutely loathed the idea that the consumer would be able to own copies of their movies. I realize that it's hard to believe, but it's true. The Hollywood system was vigorously opposed to VCRs in the early days.

Back then, the idea was that movies were strictly a "pay-per-view" system. Each person viewing the movie would have to pay to see the movie each time they saw it; and even when televisions started playing movies, it was still a only a see-it-once opportunity for viewers in the days before VCRs. (Which makes it easy to understand the appeal that DIVX had to Hollywood.)

Tarantino
01-31-05, 01:25 AM
I'm glad I'm growing up in the DVD age.

= J

caligulathegod
01-31-05, 02:09 AM

Batman was one of the early "sell-through" titles that was priced at $20 right away. Not only that, but (IIRC) it was also the first title that came out only about 4 months after the theatrical release. Movies previously took much longer. It set up a whole new dynamic of summer movies being released in time for Christmas.

Eplicon
01-31-05, 03:51 AM
I paid $84 for The Empire Strikes Back, on Beta format, in 1984. At the time, I thought it was worth every penny, but in hindsight, I could've bought a lot with that money! A few years later, Star Wars and Return of the Jedi cost "only" $30 each.

I do remember Paramount being one of the first studios to approach the home video market with sell-through pricings in mind. Their other big title was Raiders of the Lost Ark. I forgot if it was this or Star Trek II that was the best selling home video of all time for its day.

It was also not too long ago when stores charged more for widescreen VHS movies compared to the P&S counterpart for no good reason (other than that studios knew a true movie connoisseur would fork over the extra $$$).

Timsterino
01-31-05, 05:03 AM

Why do I feel so old all of the sudden? ;-)

laserdogg
01-31-05, 06:29 AM
This was one of the major reasons (the other being the dearth of widescreen VHS titles at the time) that pushed me to become a LaserDisc (and, by extension, a DVD) collector...

Same for me. It was frustrating trying to build a modest movie library. I had started copying rental tapes, bought a few previously viewed VHS (I still have my Thorn/EMI release of The Terminator from '85) Got into laserdisc when I stumbled onto a used VP1000 and a few discs at a HiFi store. Weird Science was the 1st new release bought the day it streeted in '86 and at 34.95 it was quite a bargain compared to VHS (as compared to new releases at the time)

Daniel L
01-31-05, 07:42 AM
It was also not too long ago when stores charged more for widescreen VHS movies compared to the P&S counterpart for no good reason (other than that studios knew a true movie connoisseur would fork over the extra $$$).

I hear ya. I bought both Evil Dead 2 and Zombie on widescreen VHS for somewhere around $18 each. Both of them came in shiny clamshell cases, but were still just tapes with the OAR movie. These were both from Anchor Bay. This doesn't seem like that long ago, probably around 1999.

Nickofdoom
01-31-05, 11:08 AM
Woe unto anyone who lost a rental tape.)
I once broke a copy of Demolition Man I rented from a supermarket. I went in to see how much it was cost, and they tried to charge me $95, because that is what they paid for it when it first came out. I told them I had seen in in stores for less than $20, but they didn't want to hear it. I didn't have the broken tape with me, so I took a walk to the K-Mart that was next door, bought a new one for $15 (it had been out for a while at this point,) brought it to the supermarket, and told them it made a mistake and it was fine. Luckly, they didn't notice the lack of stickers all over the tape. This is how I was first introduced to rental pricing.

bodomnet
01-31-05, 11:54 AM
Am I the only one who can not remember ever paying more then 18 (must be about $15 or so) for a vhs? I didnt buy a vhs until after 1994 but still.. hearing what prices some of you guys have payed is shocking!

THX7966
01-31-05, 12:11 PM
The first VHS movie my family bought was back in 1980. Superman The Movie cost us $89.99.

Fok
01-31-05, 12:29 PM
Yep I remember when our VCR ripped up a GhostBusters tape when it first came out (1983-4). We had to pay around $100 to the video store

Philip Reuben
01-31-05, 02:25 PM
18 (must be about $15 or so)

Assuming you mean British pounds and American dollars, 18 would be about $34 at the current exchange rate... and at the time it would never have been that much less than $30.

bodomnet
01-31-05, 04:03 PM
Assuming you mean British pounds and American dollars, 18 would be about $34 at the current exchange rate... and at the time it would never have been that much less than $30.
Mah bad?

cultshock
01-31-05, 05:59 PM

True, and I was the only kid in the neighbourhood, and then some, to have a copy of RETURN OF THE JEDI for Christmas 1983, purchased from rather dubious sources by my father. ;) Big bragging rights at school for me that year. :)

obscurelabel
01-31-05, 06:52 PM
Yes, back in the early days of VHS, pre-recorded movies cost in the neighborhood of $100 retail. (Woe unto anyone who lost a rental tape!)

Happened to me with "Backbeat". I rented it right after it was released to rental stores ('94 or '95). I was carrying some packages to my car, including the tape, dropped some, they went flying everywhere, and I thought I picked them all up. Of course, I missed the tape, and ran over it with my car as I pulled out of the carport. I had to pay 90something dollars to replace it.

digitalfreaknyc
01-31-05, 07:59 PM
What are you talking about? the early days of VHS? Oceans 12 was just announced with a $100 price tag on the VHS version. That's NEVER changed! lol

danwiz
01-31-05, 08:33 PM
Can I ask WHERE you found Ocean's Twelve announced in VHS at a $100 price?? I just searched several sites and it's not listen yet on any of them.

Alan Smithee
01-31-05, 09:04 PM
I thought Warner had dropped rental pricing on their VHS titles a couple years ago- last time I checked they were all listing for around $24.99. VHS is definitely going the way of the 8-track though, the company I work for says it's going to stop carrying VHS altogether this year. With DVD players going for under $50 there's really no reason for anyone not to have one, though I wish they'd still keep VHS around for the people who don't care about quality so the DVD format doesn't keep being dumbed-down for them.

Jason Reynolds
01-31-05, 09:16 PM
I paid $110 for Aliens on VHS when it first came out. That's the only movie I ever paid that much for as I was a huge Aliens fanatic at the time. Wore the tape out rewatching it.

-Jason

Dabaomb
01-31-05, 11:11 PM
Can I ask WHERE you found Ocean's Twelve announced in VHS at a $100 price?? I just searched several sites and it's not listen yet on any of them.

I found out about this during BestBuy's 2 for $15 sale where they had the Traffic Criterion...they listed every version of the title even Criterions, VHS, SEs, etc.

American Pie 2 for $129.99 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=38342&skuId=14201099&type=product)

Die Another Day for $69.99 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=63155&skuId=14200857&type=product)

caligulathegod
02-01-05, 01:50 AM
Am I the only one who can not remember ever paying more then 18 (must be about $15 or so) for a vhs? I didnt buy a vhs until after 1994 but still.. hearing what prices some of you guys have payed is shocking!
Thing is, most stores don't carry the VHS tapes priced-for-rental. That's why you might not have noticed those prices. The stores got them 6 months later (or so) when the price was dropped to sell-through. Unless you got the tape right when the rental stores did you wouldn't have paid that for them.

Rex Fenestrarum
02-01-05, 02:09 AM
I thought the first sell-through VHS release was Flashdance. I even remember The Atlanta Journal's weekend section having a long story about how Flashdance was gonna shift the entire movie market and change us from "renters" to "buyers". List price on it was $39.99, which is a lot *today* nevermind that it was in 1983 or 1984 dollars then.

I remember the first VHS tape I bought... it was Duran Duran's first video compliation. It was a Thorn/EMI release in the nice clamshell case. Although my small town (back then) outside of Atlanta had a couple of movie rental places, both of them looked at me like I was crazy when I said that I actually wanted to buy the tape. My poor mom had to drive me to a video store 30+ miles away to order it. They also looked at me like I was crazy, but at least gave the consumer what they wanted and ordered it for me. Something like 6 weeks later, they finally called and said it had come in... so my poor mom had to drive *another* 60 miles round-trip to pick it up. I remember that all of my neighborhood friends were in awe of me - even the Aerosmith and Ozzy fans that wouldn't be caught dead listening to Duran Duran - just because I was the only person they knew that actually owned a videotape.

FWIW, the tape cost $69.99 when I got it in 1983.

ScottsDvds
02-01-05, 02:50 AM
I can't beleive the prices people paid for VHS during the eighties. :jawdrop:
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" Rick James

wrdrobeguy
02-01-05, 02:53 AM
Oh man..

I remember working at a video store in the mid-90s and trying to explain to customers from time to time about rental pricing. I remember one guy being particularly upset about buying at used copy of "The Net" for $14 at our store only to see a new copy of it available at Wal-Mart a few weeks later for the same price.

Anyway, back in '90 was the only time I paid rental price for any videotape. "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" had been released on video for the first time and it was a big deal for fans of the film. Even Fox was wondering if putting it out on video would kill it as a midnight movie around the country so the release was limited to a run of whatever video stores had ordered. I asked at my local mom and pop to be placed on the "Buy" list for when it went to previously viewed sale but they wouldn't take my name. I was told that Fox had said that it was the only time it would see a video release and stores were not allowed to sell their copies at a later time.

Whether that was true or not I thankfully had a friend who worked at a WaldenBooks at the time which had ordered some copies to sell. The tape listed for $89.99 and with my friend's work discount I got it for around $60. For a kid putting himself through college living on food stamps and working a minimum wage fast food job that was a lot of dough! Heck...still is. I can't imagine spending that much money on ANY movie now. LOL

Filmmaker
02-01-05, 09:30 AM
I remember one guy being particularly upset about buying at used copy of "The Net" for $14 at our store only to see a new copy of it available at Wal-Mart a few weeks later for the same price.

He should have been upset that he bought THE NET, period.

Steve Phillips
02-01-05, 01:08 PM
I worked at a video store in the late 80s. We usually paid about $60 for a new release ($100 retail) unless it was part of a revenue sharing program, in which we paid like $8 for the tape and then split the rental fees with the distributor.

Hardly anyone ever bought a tape for $100, but it happened once or twice. I remember one guy paid $100 for HALLOWEEN 4!

DavidH
02-01-05, 02:00 PM
Let's not also forget that "high quality" blank VHS tapes often sold for $40-50.00 at various retailers in the early 80's. "Low quality" tapes could be found at around $20.00 if I am remembering correctly.

In addition, my parents bought a new VHS player in 1980 (looked like a big tape recorder with the tape insert lifting upward) and a remote control with a cord to the machine. It was made by RCA and cost $1000.00.

marty888
02-01-05, 02:32 PM
Let's not also forget that "high quality" blank VHS tapes often sold for $40-50.00 at various retailers in the early 80's. "Low quality" tapes could be found at around $20.00 if I am remembering correctly.

I remember in late 1986 finding a store here in Manhattan that was selling TDK T120 blank tapes for $6.79 and thinking it was the greatest bargain I had found in years!

BassDude
02-01-05, 03:45 PM
I'll second someone who thought Top Gun was the first "priced to sell" VHS. I was working in a record store in the mid/late 80's, and we got word from corporate that we'd be carrying a VHS to sell. I brought in my VCR and an old TV and played it (mono) through our in store system. Some people would ask "you mean you can BUY the movie?" Others would just stand around and watch a scene. If it wasn't the first, it may have had the first attractive price point.

A store opened up about a half hour away that bought old rental tapes from stores. I built a collection from them. It was like 29.99 for one, but if ya bought like 5 or more, they were 9.99 each. Stores used ta cut up the cardboard cases to place into their plastic case, then re-use the case and place the old tape back into what was left of the box. Many of the tapes I bought had half of a cover, or were missing a side.

I also had like 300 movies copied from HBO/Cinemax. 3 per tape on the 6 hour speed.

Oh yeah...I'm loving collecting DVDs now! What a nightmare... but it was all we OCD movie fans had at the time.

GuessWho
02-01-05, 04:53 PM
I believe Beverly Hills Cop was the first $20 tape

cultshock
02-01-05, 04:58 PM

The whole thing about rental priced videos is that they are not really meant to be sold to the general public, they are meant for video stores. This is why the only way to find out how much one costs is to inquire with a video distributor (usually through your local video store). These are the folks that sell the tapes to the stores. Of course, the general public is certainly allowed to purchase rental priced titles, but usually they would have to special order it from a video store, which could then order it from their distributor.

Steve Phillips
02-01-05, 05:03 PM
I'd like to meet the person who would pay $100 for a VHS tape of OCEAN'S TWELVE in the year 2005.

nightwing82
02-01-05, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=Dmacsg1]Video tapes were mede of sturdier material back then as well! I remember buying Tron and Star Trek III:The Search For Spock. Those tapes felt like lead weights compared to new release videos today!
QUOTE]

I agree. I use to by the Scotch brand blank tapes in the 80s and they were heavy duty. All of them still play for me and have a perfect picture.

chriscooling
02-02-05, 12:39 AM
I too, thought the first sell-through VHS was Star Trek II for the unprecendented low price of 39.99.

Heat
02-02-05, 12:43 AM
Remember when it seemed that everybody had a rental business? All of the grocery stores, tons of small shops & a few big shops. And you had to pay $5 or $10 to "join" their store, for the right to rent tapes.

Dead
02-02-05, 09:10 AM
Since this discussion doesn't have anything to do with DVDs, I'm moving it. Maybe Other would be a better spot.

Turd Ferguson
02-02-05, 09:30 AM
When I was in college, I rented "The Black Robe" on VHS and it was stolen out of my car along with my backpack. I had to pay the library $115 to replace it so I could register. I was pissed.

Turd Ferguson
02-02-05, 09:35 AM
I also had like 300 movies copied from HBO/Cinemax. 3 per tape on the 6 hour speed.

I remember doing the same thing. I had a tape with Gremlins, Ghostbusters, and Red Dawn that I played until it practically disintegrated. I also remember linking my VCR with a friends and copying an old XXX film his brother had stashed in a closet. The copy was so bad, it looked like a live-action impressionist painting, but we could care less.

Heat
02-02-05, 10:41 AM
Since this discussion doesn't have anything to do with DVDs, I'm moving it. Maybe Other would be a better spot.Hey, that was my first post in the actual DVDTalk forum in over a year! No matter how hard I try to get away from the Other forum, it keeps sucking me back in.

Altimus Prime
02-02-05, 10:43 AM
I remember very clearly when movies would come out on VHS to rent first before being available to buy. And if you wanted to buy a movie during the rental -only period, you would have to pay a ton. Most didn't, of course.

So long before the days of DVD, what I found was a neat thing to do was buy slightly used rental tapes, so that way I'd get to own the movie before it was available for sale.

Usually after a couple weeks or so, the rental places would start selling some of their tapes of new releases, and would do this before the movie was released for sale.

Sonicflood
02-02-05, 10:51 AM
I once broke a copy of Demolition Man I rented from a supermarket. I went in to see how much it was cost, and they tried to charge me $95, because that is what they paid for it when it first came out. I told them I had seen in in stores for less than $20, but they didn't want to hear it. I didn't have the broken tape with me, so I took a walk to the K-Mart that was next door, bought a new one for $15 (it had been out for a while at this point,) brought it to the supermarket, and told them it made a mistake and it was fine. Luckly, they didn't notice the lack of stickers all over the tape. This is how I was first introduced to rental pricing.

I had exactly the same experience and did the same thing. I left one in the car and it melted into a disfigured mess. I bought a new one for like $15-$20 and replaced it.

Sonic

cultshock
02-02-05, 11:11 AM
I too, thought the first sell-through VHS was Star Trek II for the unprecendented low price of 39.99.

The reason I said that earlier is because I remember reading that in a retrospective of the whole home video industry, in an issue of Video Business magazine a few years ago. I personally don't remember for myself, but figured that an industry magazine would know what it was talking about. It said that Paramount was the first to try this previously unheard of step, but figured that with the huge built in audience of Star Trek fans, it would sell well for them. Their gamble proved correct, and started the sell-through business for the major studios.

Patrick G
02-02-05, 11:22 AM
Why aren't rental stores cleaning up now since they are paying 1/5 the price for their DVDs that they were for their VHS tapes?

HistoryProf
02-02-05, 11:36 AM
I'd bet they are doing a little better, but you also have to factor in losses to bad discs being returned. Just he other day I had one that I couldn't even get to the menu it was so badly scratched - It was Friday Night Lights which hasn't been out but two weeks....so you know they are losing a lot to that, because people are idiots and apparently incapable of putting their finger in a little hole to pick them up and deposit them back in the case. I don't know what they do with them to get them in that condition...its astounding.

audiomixer
02-02-05, 11:49 AM
And Blockbuster recently tried forcing the same practice on DVDs. Hence, why they are the Devil.Agreed!
Greedy AHoles!

latenight
02-02-05, 11:56 AM
My dad paid $89.99 for Ghostbusters when it first came out on VHS. I believe it was Top Gun that was the first priced to own VHS movie (and that was due to the Pepsi sponsorship).

If I remember correctly I paid 79.99 for Battlestar Galactica and 69.99 for Flash Gordon. The 1st tapes that came out in the new wave of lower prices was Indiana Jones and it cost 29.99. I still have them and they still work. Going on 30 years.

WarriorPrincess
02-02-05, 02:36 PM
I had totally forgotten that when I was a little kid my school had gotten a vcr and we had movie time every friday. I was outspoken and the teacher's aide, so I was in charge of the remote (attached with a cord :D). We watched The Black Stallion, Star Trek I and II, The Dark Crystal, Flash Gordon...man those were good times. Not long after that, my grandfather gave us a vcr/video camera combo pack. The vcr literally split in half, and the side with the tape became the battery pack/tape recorder for the camera, which just plugged into the half of the vcr. My cousin and I made many a home movie on that camera. :) The first thing I remember recording to keep was North and South - which my dad promptly recorded over 1. because I was too naive to think that labelling a tape would protect it (so I didn't pop off the tab) and 2. because he's clueless and just figured that what he wanted to record was more important (probably some random hunting show). He also recorded over most of my home movies. I was furious. To this day, I'm the only one in the family that is totally comfortable with technology - even down to the cliche of being the only one who can set the vcr. My dad lives in Vegas now, and will still call me for help. :) It's just funny, now. Then it was frustrating.

The first tape I bought was The Jungle Book - in 89 or 90 or 91 - whenever disney released it for the first time. I believe they were $20 (I mostly bought disney tapes). I remember being thrilled when I found Cry-Baby and Hairspray for sale (former rentals) for only $10 each - they weren't available at sell-through prices, so I was a happy camper to find them at such an affordable price.

And count me in among those who say that the quality of tapes in general used to be much higher. Blank and pre-recorded tapes both were much heavier, and stood up to repeated viewings without noticable drops in quality. OTOH, when I bought Mulan in the late 90's (last tape I bought before switching to vhs) - it had static drops and flubs on its first viewing. Utterly ridiculous.

latenight
02-02-05, 02:53 PM
Speaking of blank tapes. I use to pay 9.99 for one blank TDK. I still have some of those that work just fine.

Heat
02-02-05, 04:06 PM
Here's a pretty good story on the pricing of DVDs and the rental market in general:

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_report/features/retail/pricing_primer.htm

uli2000
02-02-05, 04:58 PM
When I was a kid, my dad worked for a wholesaler who sold these rental tapes to small video stores at a slight discount. Untill about the early 90's, pretty much all VHS tapes cost that much. Laserdiscs usually went for about the same, sometimes more, especially for sets and Criterions. And those were marketed more to the public than video stores.

caligulathegod
02-03-05, 01:33 AM
Laserdiscs were usually ~$30 then they went to ~$40 on average. Special editions were in the $100+ range. I don't know how many I bought for $100 then rebought on DVD with nearly all the content for less than $20.

RoQuEr
02-03-05, 05:53 AM
I grew up in the middle east, where VHS movies came out about the same time they were out in the theatre, but all the sex was edited out of them. They were pirated of course, but they were the only source, so there wasn't much you could do.

Forum Troll
02-03-05, 07:06 AM
last tape I bought before switching to vhs
:hscratch: -confused- :lol: