Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Harlan Coben news / reviews / chat

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-03, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad news for Myron Bolitar fans

Harlan Cobens website lists his next book, Just One Look, will be yet another stand alone. The book is scheduled for release April 26th 2004. Unfortunately this means the return of Myron and Win will be delayed at least another year if even then. I'm sure Just One Look will be great, but we all miss Myron.
Old 11-29-03, 03:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I miss Myron, that's for sure.
Old 12-01-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

His Bolitar series have never sold as well as his stand alones, and after signing the mega-deal he did, I'm sure Harlan's feeling the pressure...
Old 12-02-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coben's stand-alone novels are fine books but I've lost interest in reading another one. He has been a hardcover "must buy" for me since he first started being published in hardcover (maybe the 5th Bolitar novel) but I think I'll pass on the coming stand-alone. I miss Myron, Win, Esperanza, and Big Cindy. Even though I won't be along for the ride, I wish Coben luck in the sales of his stand-alones.

On a related note, I'm happy that Robert Crais has returned to the Elvis and Pike novels (I'd probably pass on future stand-alones from Crais). I enjoyed Lehane's last stand-alone so another stand-alone from him is cool with me (though I'd prefer a return to the Patrick/Angie series every once in a while). One author who I'd like to see try something new is Stephen Hunter. As much as I like the Swaggers, I think that Hunter has exhausted their storylines (especially Earl). I hope his next one is a stand-alone or perhaps the start of another series.
Old 12-03-03, 10:08 PM

I read an interview with him awhile back where he said that he had been getting obsessed with Myron. He said he'd be taking a bit of a break from the character.

Personally, I started drinking Yoo Hoo again because of the Myron books, and I'm praying he'll write more soon.
Old 01-29-05, 01:44 PM

Harlan Coben news of interest

According to his website Columbia pictures is planning on making a movie about Cobens first Myron Bolitar book Deal Breaker. They even secured the rights to all the other books in that series and envision a franchise of movies featuring Cobens main hero Myron. Of course all this could fall through considering the vagaries of the film industry, but hopefully if a film gets off and does well maybe Coben will go back to writing a few more Myron books!

Last edited by Cedar; 01-29-05 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-29-05, 05:08 PM

Great news!

Now the big question...who would be a good casting choice to play Myron?
Old 01-29-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A couple years ago at a cocktail party I ran into Harlan and I asked if he had any plans to write more books in the Bolitar series (which is my favorite stuff of his, by far). He said he was open to it, but that he was waiting for a story idea that he thought would really work with those characters. I think the trouble at this point is that it's been so long...there would be a lot of pressure to write one helluva book.

I got a galley of his new one (The Innocent) recently. We'll see how it goes. I've only read one of his recent standalones (Tell No One) and it was okay, but nothing special.
Old 01-30-05, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Great news!

Now the big question...who would be a good casting choice to play Myron?

Don't know, but Cary Elwes to play Winn and maybe Salma Hayak to play Esperanza.

BTW, since I remember you are a Thomas Perry fan have you checked his website recently? He finally updated it with some interesting info on his future stuff. He hasn't put anything out in awhile because his last book he was working on he just couldn't make work, so he finally scrapped it completely. His next book will be called Nightlife, with a late 2005 or early 2006 release, plus he already is at work on another book.
Old 04-27-05, 08:56 AM

I picked up Harlan Coben's new novel last night: The Innocent and it includes a Myron Bolitar short-story called, The Rise and Fall of Super D.

Old 04-27-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Word from Harlan is that his next book will be a Myron Bolitar novel. This hasn't been officially confirmed, though.
Old 04-27-05, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by djmont
Word from Harlan is that his next book will be a Myron Bolitar novel. This hasn't been officially confirmed, though.
Well, I'm going to see him this Thursday. I'll see if I can get some dirt.
Old 04-28-05, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Well, I'm going to see him this Thursday. I'll see if I can get some dirt.

Don't just get dirt man, lobby him hard to get back to Myron!! I had seen on his website that he was going to have a short story about Myron, may have to check that out on the couch at Barnes and Noble!

Back to the earlier question on this thread about who would play Myron in the movies, I think Tim Daly is doing a pretty good Myron impersonation on the ABC show Eyes. I think he could bring it off based on what I have seen so far.
Old 04-29-05, 09:13 AM

I went to the reading last night and boy was it great! If he weren't such a great writer, Harlan could be a successful stand-up comic if he wanted to...the guy is hilarious! He had the audience rolling with laughter several times over the course of his 15 minutes at the podium.

Anyway...here's the low-down:
  • Myron will be in his next book, though it will not be a Myron Bolitar novel.
  • No updates on Deal Breaker other than it is currently in the hands of Columbia (though Harlan did say that he's not optimistic of its outcome).
  • To Die For is being made as a French film starring Kirsten Scott Thomas and is currently in pre-production
  • Gone For Good is also in negotiations to be made into a movie.

I had him sign copies of The Innocent & No Second Chance and had a great time doing so. If any of you get the opportunity to meet this guy, I suggest you do so.

Last edited by Geofferson; 04-29-05 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-28-06, 07:36 PM

New Harlan Coben book is out April 25th called Promise Me (Myron Bolitar):

Old 03-28-06, 07:57 PM
Cool New Member

Now that is good news! I was wondering if I'd ever get another Myron story again.
Old 03-29-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The new book is good, so I think Myron fans will really enjoy it.
Old 04-25-06, 08:55 PM
Cool New Member

This came out today, just picked it up. So much for sleeping tonight.
Old 04-30-06, 03:18 PM
Cool New Member

Just finished this yesterday.

Man I missed Myron and company. I thought the novel was decent, however I'm also biased because after a 6 year absence I'm just happy the gang is back.

I would have preferred to see a little bit more of Win doing what he does best, but then again the parts he was present for were ok.

Anyone else read this yet and have any thoughts?
Old 05-01-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I reviewed it for the Sun-Times a while back. I thought it was good, about on par with the last few Bolitar books, and worth reading for fans of the series. I don't know how much readers unfamiliar with the earlier books will enjoy it, however.

A friend of mine who loved the early books thought this one lacked the heart of the rest of the series. (And you make a good point that Win is hardly in it.) I think they're both legitimate points. But despite some flaws, I thought it was an effective and entertaining thriller.
Old 11-03-06, 01:29 PM

Link to trailer of the French movie of Coben's novel, Tell No One:

http://fr.movies.yahoo.com/features/nldp/ba.html

I hope this comes to the US (with subtitles) eventually.
Old 03-05-07, 04:05 PM

Harlan Coben's new stand-alone hits stores on April 17th:

Old 03-06-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Woods is my favorite of Coben's standalone thrillers. I highly recommend it.
Old 05-05-07, 10:17 PM

Harlan Coben fans?

hello, i recently finished "No Second Chance" by harlan coben and thoroughly enjoyed it. had 2 quick questions

1. what do you rate being his best novels, or is there a website for this type of thing.

2. also what other authors would you recommend?
Old 05-06-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by superman69
hello, i recently finished "No Second Chance" by harlan coben and thoroughly enjoyed it. had 2 quick questions

1. what do you rate being his best novels, or is there a website for this type of thing.

2. also what other authors would you recommend?
I think the Myron Bolitar books, especially the first few in the series, are Coben's best work. Of his standalones, I liked The Woods the best so far.

As for other authors... What kind of books do you like?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.