Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Tuner problems in my receiver!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Tuner problems in my receiver!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner preset problems on my receiver!

Last night, I came home and, out of the blue, the station presets on my 6 year old Yamaha receiver (2095) were wiped out. I reset the memory settings on most of them (it has 5x8). Tonight, when I came home the station memory settings were gone again. And to make matters worse, I couldn't even manually tune in either AM or FM. That is, I can move up and down the dial but now there is no reception, not even any hum, either AM or FM. I should mention that for the past few years the receiver has been plugged into a switched outlet, i.e., it doesn't receive any electricity until I flip the light switch on. At first, I thought it was some trickle charge thing. but if this was the cause, I would have guessed that the memory loss would have occurred at the outset, not after 2 or 3 years. As far as I know there's no interal battery is there? Odd that both AM and FM would crap out simultaneously, so I'm guessing it's something else. Winter static? I basically operate from the remote. Any suggestions? I've never encountered this with my other 15-20 year old Yamaha receiver.

Last edited by dleedlee; 02-02-05 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-29-05, 09:34 AM

Okay, the second part of my problem is solved. Somehow, the speaker A/B switch was set set so both A and B were off. So, for the third time in 3 days, reset my station preferences on the presets.

So, still the original question, why am I suddenly losing the station memory settings?
Old 01-29-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well when I check the manual it says that the reason you lost the stations is that the "unit has been unplugged for a long time". I don't know if there is a small battery in there or just a capacitor but that would explain the problem.

http://www.yamaha.com/menuitems/manu...c/RX-V2095.pdf
Old 01-29-05, 01:59 PM

Yeah, I checked the manual before posting but didn't see any references to a battery in the troubleshooting section. Since they don't recommend opening the unit, I assume it's not replaceable battery. Probably a capacitor as you say, but since I use the receiver nightly, wouldn't that be enough to recharge it? (It's usually about 16 hours off, 8 hours on. Been doing this, as I said, for 2 or 3 years.). I think I'll try leaving it switched on a few days and see if that doesn't allow it to trickle charge the whatever and retain the settings.

Thanks for the feedback and the soft copy of the manual.

Last edited by dleedlee; 01-29-05 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 12:29 PM

Well, I left the receiver on a powered outlet over the weekend figuring that should be long enough to fully charge a capacitor. I went to work and turned off the power switch, 10 hours later...preset memory lost again AND yes the A/B speaker settings were both reset off again! So apparently that is being affected too.

I've written to Yamaha to see what the say but I received an auto-reply message telling me to read their FAQ and that they'll eventually get back to me.

As I said, I'd understand if it happened when I originally started doing this but I'm puzzled why it should occur after working fine this way for 2 years. Possibly, the capacitor no longer fully charges? Yikes, did I ruin it this way?
Old 02-03-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I doubt you ruined it but it is possible that the capacitor simply has failed.