Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

6 DVD set - Rick Steves Travels in Europe - $9.99 at Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
6 DVD set - Rick Steves Travels in Europe - $9.99 at Amazon

Looks to be a great set for the armchair traveller - each DVD is over 3 hours long! (Each of the 6 titles in the box set is selling for over $10 EACH at DeepDiscount).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...1MMGTK/dvdtalk
Old 01-28-05, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!!!!
Old 01-28-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks.
Old 01-28-05, 04:30 PM

Bought a set for my father. Thanks for the post.
Old 01-28-05, 06:54 PM

Great Deal!

This is an excellent set of DVD's ... I bought this set 2 years ago.

Be forewarned this is an older set ... there is also a newer set available (in fact, there are 13 new shows airing on public t.v.) ... but you'll pay a lot more!

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...g&parent_id=15
Old 01-28-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
It has already become a special order
What does this usually mean with Amazon? I've never had it happen, not sure if they'll actually get it or cancel later ala Barnes and Noble ( ).
Old 01-28-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YoJimbo
Great Deal!

This is an excellent set of DVD's ... I bought this set 2 years ago.

Be forewarned this is an older set ... there is also a newer set available (in fact, there are 13 new shows airing on public t.v.) ... but you'll pay a lot more!

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...g&parent_id=15
Can you describe this a little? Would it appeal to someone that probably will never travel there as a means of seeing the areas and entertainment at that level or does it appeal more as a planner?
Old 01-28-05, 08:19 PM

Thanks OP
Old 01-29-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, in my experience, "special order" has been hit or miss, but mostly hit. The misses were due to a limited run set that amazon couldn't acquire additional stock of.

I'll be trying this, myself. Thanks for the heads up, OP!
Old 01-29-05, 03:27 AM
Banned

Thanks for the tip...looks great!
Old 01-29-05, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just placed an order for this. "What the hell!" seems to be my favorite phrase of thought when reading these boards. It's sickening.

Thanks, OP.
Old 01-29-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You know that you're addicted to DVDs when you buy "Rick Steves Travels in Europe" DVDs
Old 01-29-05, 01:25 PM
Banned

You know that you're addicted to DVDs when you buy "Rick Steves Travels in Europe" DVDs
I was thinking the exact same thing!
Old 01-29-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb

Originally Posted by dx23
I was thinking the exact same thing!

Bah!

:mumble, mumble:

(hunched-ly walks away like an old man, waving his index finger)
Old 01-30-05, 12:19 AM

It was on "special order" status when I placed my order, but it shipped out today. Guess they still have a few in stock.
Old 01-30-05, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by abintra
Can you describe this a little? Would it appeal to someone that probably will never travel there as a means of seeing the areas and entertainment at that level or does it appeal more as a planner?
I think it would appeal more to a "planner". Travel documentaries by Rick Steves are especially geared for Europe travelers ... he gives a lot of travel tips.

I've traveled to Europe on several long vacations, and used Rick Steve's advice to a significant extent.

BUT ... my wife and I enjoyed watching his shows for many years before we ever traveled to Europe ... the shows are short and interesting. They show some of the sights and entertainment -- the stuff that Rick thinks is best.

I'd recommend catching a show on public television before buying the set ... all his shows are of a similar format. They're all short (30 minutes). However, there are plenty of other good documentaries on television that would give the "armchair traveler" more details about the sights and sounds of Europe.

Or, take a gamble ... I don't think you can go wrong getting the 6 dvd set for $10!

Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-05, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by YoJimbo
...my wife and I enjoyed watching his shows for many years before we ever traveled to Europe ... the shows are short and interesting. They show some of the sights and entertainment -- the stuff that Rick thinks is best ... take a gamble ... I don't think you can go wrong getting the 6 dvd set for $10! ... Hope this helps.
Very helpful. Thanks for the detailed description, YoJimbo - and thanks, OP, for posting the deal. I gave it a shot. Hopefully it'll come.
Old 01-31-05, 01:31 AM

Info I got about the DVD's from some site. I use to watch Rick Steves show years ago and enjoyed it. I guess I will give this a try although the last time I bought some Questar brand DVD's they were crap, lucky it was from Costco were you can return anything.

BRITISH ISLES

Trek along with Rick as he visits popular landmarks and discovers hidden delights throughout the British Isles.

England - Take a walking tour of London's lively street fairs and relaxing pubs, then amble through Hyde Park, Greenwich and Salisbury. Breathe the good country air of Cotswold and admire its thatched villages, picturesque farms and rolling hillsides. Follow Rick into the old city of Batch, known for its archaeological treasures and the Georgian elegance of its architecture.

Scotland - Pop up to Scotland for a visit to Edinburgh Castle and the ancient palace of Holyrod House, followed by a walk in the footsteps of ancient romans at Hadrian's Wall.

North Wales - Browse the beautiful countryside and majestic castles of North Wales, and enjoy a medieval banquet.

Ireland - Sample Irish hospitality as Rick visits Dublin and Belfast, the urban and cultural centers of Ireland. Learn a few lessons from the region's turbulent history, its folk traditions, as well as the ancient revelations in the Book of Kells. Tour western Ireland's unspoiled lands: the Dingle Peninsula, the Aran Islands and the Gailtrachts National Parks.

DVD EXTRA FEATURES

London Day Trips - See the reconstruction of the Globe Theatre in London, then take a 2-hour train ride to Strafford-Upon-Avon, the birthplace of William Shakespeare. Take another side trip to Blackpool in North England, where beaches, boardwalks and amusement parks beckon vacationers from all over England.
Blenheim Place - Visit the stately home that was the birthplace of Winston Churchill. Blenheim is rightly famous for its magnificent tapestries and ceiling murals, an impressive library, and a wealth of historical artifacts.
Rick's Back Door Travel Tips - Share some of Rick's savviest advice for travelers - from day-planning and changing currency, to using public transportation and getting around language barriers. Rick's suggestions cover basic security, packing light, and the pros and cons of traveling independently or with a tour group. His recommendations will help any traveler plan their trips wisely, while preparing them to take the unexpected in stride.
GERMANY, AUSTRIA & SWITZERLAND

Munich & Bavaria - Stroll through Munich's bustling center, Marienplatz, then enjoy a Bavarian feast at a boisterous beer hall. Visit Neuschwanstein, a storybook castle ruled by a mad king, then more recent madness is evoked at the Dachau Memorial.

Berlin & Potsdam - Recall Germany's reunification at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate. View ancient treasures at the Pergamon Museum and admire 18th century grandeur at Fredrick the Great's private retreat, Sanssouci.

Vienna & The Danube - Enjoy Viennese hospitality at a bustling coffeehouse, then salute Austria's most famous sons Mozart, Beethoven and Strauss at the Staatsopera. As a fitting finale, cruise down the blue Danube to the magnificent Melk Abbey.

Salzburg - This idylilic town on the edge of the Austrian Alps was Mozart's birthplace. Its old world charm is matched by the natural beauty of the nearby Salzkammergut Lakes District.

Switzerland's Berner Alps - Swiss Alps tower above the Alpine valleys, while down below, the study in contrasts continues in visits to busy Interlaken and the sleepy town of Gimmelwald.

Western Switzerland - View the Paul Klee collection at Bern's Kunst Museum, then wander Roman ruins at Avenches. Sample fondue at Tavayenne and chocolates at Gruyere, tread medieval ramparts in Murten, and retrace Lord Byron's footsteps at Chateau Chillion.

DVD EXTRA FEATURES

Munich's Octoberfest - The greatest people's festival in Europe is a must for anyone who has ever munched on a brat or sipped a cold beer.
Austria's Christmas Festival - In a village high in the Austrian Alps, join in an annual festival held to celebrate the triumph of good over evil.
Switzerland's Fasnacht Festival - It's the Swiss version of "Fat Tuesday" where revelers in Basel celebrate to near exhaustion during "Masked Madness in Switzerland".
Rick's Back Door Travel Tips - Share some of Rick's savviest advice for travelers - from day-planning and changing currency, to using public transportation and getting around language barriers. Rick's suggestions cover basic security, packing light, and the pros and cons of traveling independently or with a tour group. His recommendations will help any traveler plan their trips wisely, while preparing them to take the unexpected in stride.
This extensive program provides visits to Athens and the Acropolis; the Peloponnese and the Mycen' Palace; the Greek Islands; Central Turkey, Ankara and Cappadocia; the Turkish West Coast, Kusadasi and Ephesus; Jerusalem, the Dead Sea and Kibbutz Ein Gedi; Cairo to Luxor; Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx. DVD extra features: Gates of Jerusalem, Thessalonika and Greek Monasteries, Istanbul, Rick's Back Door Travel Tips.

GREECE, TURKEY, ISRAEL, & EGYPT

Athens & The Pelopannese - Explore the evolution of Greek art at the Athens National Museum, then sample local cuisine at the Plaka. Visit the fabled Acropolis and learn about the engineering skills of the ancients at the palace ruins of Mycenae.

The Greek Islands - See the rugged volcanic island of Santorini, then tour the lush island of Samos via moped. Visit remote Lipsi and savor traditional Greek fare: tsaziki, souvlakia and retsina.

Turkish West Coast & Central Turkey - Tour the port of Kusadasi, hike the Roman ruins at Ephesus and relax in the soothing mineral waters of Pammukale. Swing inland to see traditional folk dancing in ancient villiages, and Cappadocia's amazing rock formations and cliff dwellings. Then, travel to Ankora for a dose of Turkish history.

Israel - Explore Jerusalem, home to the sacred sites and holy places of three religions, then journey to the former location of Sodom and Gomorrah, and float in the Dead Sea's salty waters. Travel to the Kibbutz Ein Gedi and see successful communal living in action.

Egypt - Make the rounds of Cairo's bazaars, coffehouses and museums, then see the pyramids of Giza and the Great Sphinz. An overnight train to Luxor brings you to the ancient city of Thebes, the Temple of Karnak and the Valley of Kings.

DVD EXTRA FEATURES

Thessalonika & Greek Monasteries - Travel deep into the countryside to see beautifully preserved examples of Byzantine architecture -- three hallowed Greek Orthodox monasteries.
Gates of Jerusalem - Learn how the eight gates leading into the old city represent the spiritual gateways of three great faiths: Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.
Istanbul - See the magnificent Hagia Sophia and the fortifications protecting old Istanbul. Have a bracing cup of Turkish coffee, visit the fabulous Topkapi Palace, and relax on a cruise along the Bosporus.
The romance of Italy is yours with stops at Rome; Naples; the Amalfi Coast; Mount Vesuvius; Venice; Florence; Tuscany; and the Italian Riviera. DVD extra features: Venice Regatta, Lake Como, Milan, Rick's Back Door Travel Tips.

ITALY

Rome - Seek out Rome's remarkable treasures: the Pantheonm the Roman Forum and its oldest church, Trastevere's Santa Maria. Take day trips to the ancient port of Ostia Antica and Hadrian's Villa in Tivoli. Then discover lively, well-hidden restaurants serving delicious regional cuisine.

Naples & The Amalfi Coast - Explore the museums, churches and eclectic architecture of Naples, then travel to the Amalfi Coast and the resort town of Sorrento surrounded by lemon trees, olive groves and Mediterranean villas. Tempt fate with a visit to Mount Vesuvious and the remains of legendary Pompeii.

Venice - Navigate the maze of canals and discover the Doge's Palace, St. Mark's Basilica and the Bridge of Sighs. Ferry to the sleepy outer island, Burano and explore its winding back streets.

Florence - This spectacular Renaissance city houses Michelangelo's David at L'Accademia and Botticelli's Birth of Venus housed at the Uffizi. Linger at sidewalk cafes under the famous Giotto's Tower.

Tuscany - The towers and castles of San Gimignano dominate sun-drenched hillsides, while the humbler paths walked by St,. Francis wind through Assisi. Visit them and the ancient Etruscan frescoes in Orvieto.

The Italian Riveria - Follow the rugged coastline of Cinque Terre, dine of fish freshly caught in the cove of Manarola, stroll the beaches of Corniglia and relax in the resort town of Monterosso.

DVD EXTRA FEATURES

Venice Regatta - Parade and race with the Doge's gondolas through the canals of Venice in the "Storica Regatta."
Milan - See the Duomo, the city's cathedral and centerpiece, visit the La Scala Opera House, and spend some time admiring Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper at Santa Maria della Grazie.
Lake Como - Located in northern Italy's lake district, Lake Como's shores are lined with 19th century villas and its vistas embrace snow-capped mountains -- it's a perfect setting for serious R & R.
FRANCE

Paris - Stroll amoung the Left Bank's cafes and bookstores and take in the nightlife of Monmartre. Admire the splendor of Saint-Chapelle, and the magnificent art collections at the Rodin museum and Musee D'Orsay. Then, relive the glory of imperial France at the Tomb of Napoleon Bonaparte in the Musee Militaire.

Provence & The Lorie Valley - Prepare to be dazzled by the Renaissance grandeur of the Chambord and Chenonceau castles in the Loire Valley. See the Roman ruins at Arles and the Palace of the Popes at Avignon.

Burgundy & Dordogne - Ply Burgundy's romantic canals past chateaus, medieval abbeys and idyllic hillside villages. Step back in time to Feudal France in the historic Dordogne region with its wonderful examples of medieval and Renaissance architecture.

Normandy & Brittany - Travel from the scene of the D-Day invasion to Rouen, where Joan of Arc faced the trail of her life. See the famed Bayeux Tapestry; amble through pastoral landscapes; then sample such regional favorites as crepes, apple brandy and Camembert cheese. In Brittany, visit Fougeres Castle, a symbol of the Celtic struggle against France.

French Riveria - Hop a train to heady and exotic destinations on the cote d'Azur: Cannes, Villefranche-Sur-Mer, Antibes and Monaco.

DVD EXTRA FEATURES

Paris Day Trips - Take an exhilorating walking tour along the Chmaps-Elysees. See the Arc de Triomphe -- then visit that "must see" Parisian landmark, the Eiffel Tower. Another day trip sweeps you to the very heights of opulence at Versailles with its art-filled palace, lush, green gardens and Grand Canal.
Limoux Wine Festival - Every January, the townsfolk of Limoux host an annual celebration toasting the region's wine. Join the costumed revelers dancing their cares away at this annual carnival.
Visit Madrid and Toledo; Seville and Andalusia; Barcelona to Segovia; Granada to Tangier; Costa Del Sol; Lisbon; Portugal's Southern Coast; Cape Sagres and Lagos.

SPAIN & PORTUGAL

Madrid & Toledo - Madrid is a vibrant capital, and a bustling urban center, is also home to the Prado's splendid collection of the Spanish masters Velasquez, El Greco and Goya. The works of El Greco can also be seen in his home town of Toledo, a city rich inlessons of its tangled history.

Seville & Andalusia - Wander the winding streets of white washed Andalusian villages, and visit the region's Islamic-influenced capital, Seville. Then enjoy a lively demonstration of the traditional Spanish dance, the Flamenco.

Barcelona to Segovia - Discover Barcelona's antique shops, cafes and squares hidden in its gothic maze of streets and alleys. Travel to El Escorial, the spectacular 15th century palace and monestary, then savor the finest in Spanish cuisine at Segovia's Mason de Candido.

Granada to Tangier - A visit to Granada's Royal Chapel lingers over golden antiquities made from melted Aztec treasures plundered by the conquistadors. Get back on the lighter side of Spain on the sun-drenched beaches of Costa del Sol, then make a quick trip to the bazaars of Tangier, Morocco in North Africa.

Portugal - Castle ruins and fortified towers recall the distant past of Lisbon. A visit to Cape Sagras provides lessons about the 15th century feats of Portugese navigation. While today, the tourists in sunny lagos are far more concerned about getting a good tan.

DVD EXTRA FEATURES

Moors & Christians Fest of Alcoy - Spanish victory in a 15th century battle between the Moors and Christains is celebrated with costumed reenactments and fireworks.
Gibraltor - Join in an exploration of the famous landmark and symbol that presides majestically over the Straits of Gibraltor.
Cordoba - Discover the vestiges of Moorish heritage in Cordoba, deep in the heart of Andalusia.
Old 01-31-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just ordered the DVDs from amazon.com. I went on a Rick Steve's Tour Group to Europe in 2003. I want to see which countries I missed in the tour are like, for my next trip.
Old 01-31-05, 11:28 AM

Thanks OP!, I live in Belgium so this will come in handy for planning trips.
Old 01-31-05, 06:37 PM

I just made my order too. To get the free shipping I also ordered my first SACD (super audio cd). I just got a new dvd player that plays these and was anxious to hear the sound difference. I finaly found one that the reviews didn't say it sounds about the same as a regular cd. I still was about $1.25 short so I added 4 batteries to bring my total just over the $25 free shipping mark. Not bad considering I found sites that want more than that just for the 6 dvd's. I hope the quality of these are better than the last Questar dvd's I bought and returned.
Old 01-31-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This set arrived today. What a great deal, the packaging is especially fantastic.
Old 01-31-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
thanks!
Old 02-01-05, 12:39 PM

I broke down an ordered. Even though these are on PBS all the time.
Old 02-01-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I broke down an ordered. Even though these are on PBS all the time.
Yeah, Rick's on all the time. I hate to turn down a bargain like this, but sometimes Rick Steves just bugs me.

Rick: "Save a little money while in Rome while sleeping in the alley behind this youth hostel!"

Man, just break down and spend the $10 sometimes.

I'll still probably end up ordering them, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.