Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Alien,original dvd reissued question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alien,original dvd reissued question...

I have seen new copies of the original THX 20th Anniversary release of Alien at Best Buy lately.

I would just like too know if this release is the completely original dvd,or is it only 'half way' done so to speak?

The reason I ask is,unlike the original back cover which listed all the extras. The new release only lists 3-4 things and that is it. It does not say "...and more" or anything on it.

So are all the extras from this release intact,or are they missing?
Old 01-26-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I haven't seen the disc, but my speculation based on previous FOX releases is that it's simply the first disc of the previous 2 disc version.
Old 01-26-05, 08:05 PM

I was thinking that myself and tonight went over to Best Buy and compared the two closely.

I don't think it is just disc one from the 2-disc set. Since I found a copy of the original 20th release and upon close inspection. They listed the exact same extras(alternate audio tracks,commentary,deleted scenes). The SKU#'s were the exact same as well. Also if it were disc 1 from the 2-disc release,it would only offer the commentaries and 'special edition' version of the film. Yet this release is the original theatrical cut only.

But upon closer inspection there were still some differences between the two.

The dvd has 5.1 audio only,while the original release has a 2.0 mix as well. Trailers(which includes tv spots) are mentioned on the original,but not on the newer version. Also the font on the side of the package is tinted green(which i find more attractive),instead of grey like the original release. ALso it states 'widescreen edition' on the back..and lacks the 20th Ann mention on the cover,but still has the THX logo.

While the disc could possibly still include the 2.0 mix and the trailers. I wouldn't be sure,since most Fox titles/dvd titles in general state everything that is on the dvd..or add '...and more'. Yet this release does not.

So I picked up the original 20th release just to be safe. I have not been able too afford the Quadrilogy set. So this is good enough...and no I won't bother with the 2-disc releases,since I want all the trailers which are on the final disc of the set,but not the 2-disc releases

I also closely checked out the new 1-disc Die Hard release with original poster art(same as first dvd release). This IS disc one of the 2-disc version since it offers the 'extending branching option' and commentary(but nothing else).
Old 01-27-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think this is a diffrent release...also it should be brought up that next week (Feb 1) Fox is releasing several catalogs as next to bare releases...the die hard sequels and The French Connection to name a few...this has already been done with MASH and Die Hard... Looks like fox is trying to weigh in with the "I only want the movie" customers (they are out there...just not on this website)

I would pick up those 5 star sets if you haven't....been having trouble getting the mash 2 disc back in the store....

hope this helps
Old 01-27-05, 12:43 AM

I have seen the M.A.S.H. 2-disc release at Borders and most Best Buys. So they are still around somewhere I guess.

I have been wanting to pick up The French Connection for quite some time,but have'nt gotten around to it.

I already own all three Die Hard 2-discs,so no worries there

But since I have little dvd space left,I will do my best to not buy dvds for awhile(which is doubtful,I'll end up buying my usual 1 or 2 dvds a month,just watch,lol). Though I had to pick up the original Alien release,since it's tough to find these days and has stuff the 2-disc release excludes.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 01-27-05 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-27-05, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circuit City had the old Alien DVD in stock too when I was there the other day. It was priced at $9, and was part of some "Buy Three..." deal. They had a ton of them, but I didn't see any of the sequels - just Alien.
Old 01-27-05, 03:49 AM
Banned

I always wanted to keep the old Alien disc, excellent time to buy one! Thanks for the info, don't know why I sold it.
Old 01-27-05, 06:33 AM
Banned

Amazon has the original releases of Alien and Aliens on $15.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old 01-27-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are some differences between the current 2-disc Alien and the 20th Anniversary Alien disc. While the 2-disc is certainly packed with better extras, the 20th Anniversary has 3 commentaries (one with Ridley Scott, one with Isolated Score, one with Alternate Music cues/tracks and production sound) that are not on the 2-disc set. Also, there are trailers on the 20th Anniversary set, but none are on the 2-disc Alien (they are located on the 9th disc of the Quadrilogy set, along with some other Alien extras.)

Hope this helps. I kept my 20th Anniversary disc when I purchased the 2-disc set - the commentary tracks are well worth the price, esp. the alternate score/production one.
Old 01-27-05, 09:31 AM

A thread
over at the HTF reports that the original 20th anniversary disc is packaged in a two-pack with Aliens vs. Predator at Walmart. I haven't checked this out myself.
Old 01-27-05, 10:26 AM
Cool New Member

^ it's true... they also have it packaged with Predator SE too. So you have a choice.
Old 01-27-05, 10:43 AM

Is the "original" Alien disc the one that was included in the Alien Legacy set?
Old 01-27-05, 10:53 AM
Banned

yes...
Old 01-27-05, 12:48 PM

cool, thanks
Old 01-27-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
That's interesting that they would reissue the old disc rather then release the first disc of the 2 disc SE that they've done for other movies.
Old 01-27-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have tooooo many Alien DVDs....
Alien Quadrilogy 9-Disc Set
Alien Saga
Alien:20th Anniversary Edition/Alien Legacy 5th Disc in a Double Discer Case
Not to mention Predator:CE,Predator 2:SE,and AVP......
Old 01-27-05, 02:41 PM
Banned

you can always use more, I'm gonna pick this one up tomorrow...
Old 01-28-05, 09:13 AM
Banned

Picked it up today with the AVP, which I'm gonna sell since I already have it.
Old 01-28-05, 10:34 AM
Banned

Am watching it right now and it is the same exact disc, menus, etc. Only difference is the exclusion of "20th Anniversary Edition" on the cover and the back of the cover is a bit different. God I love this Ridley commentary, manages to be extremely informative and very entertaining.
Old 01-28-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i just wish i had that 5th disc of the alien legacy...missed the boat
Old 01-28-05, 07:00 PM
Banned

what exactly did the 5th disc have? an hour long doc.?
Old 01-28-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chuck Arrington's review of the Alien Legacy Disc 5

This is the real jewel of the entire collection. A 68-minute look at the progenitor of the Alien legacy, 1979’s, Alien. In 68 minutes you are taken from script to screen by Dan Obannon, Ridley Scott, Ronald Shusett & H.R.Giger just to name a few! You are further taken to pinewood studios back lot where a great degree of Alien was filmed. & The goodies just keep on coming! There is information here that has never been seen before outside of the minds of the men listed above. Models, storyboards, brainstorming sessions, behind the scenes sessions, film production, character development, you name it, this disc has it! Sharpline arts went out of their way to not only produce the one of the best Special Editions sets on the market, but they also did their homework & put out the best supplemental material in this disc. Unavailable as a single unit purchase, the disc is/was solely available via mail order after confirmation of your purchase of the set had been received by Fox. If you don’t already have the disc, you are missing the absolutely best part of the set. Sadly, I don’t know if these are even still available as it was supposed to be a limited offer. In any event, this disc itself is worth the price of admission & really gives you more information than was previously available about this groundbreaking film!
Old 01-28-05, 10:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the 20th Year Edition Single Disc of Alien and can certainly recommend it to those that have the Alien Quad. Particularly if you would enjoy isolated score and separate sound/effect tracks.

I must admit I'm surprised they are reissuing this. So much so that I wonder whether someone goofed. I've been told that the reason that isolated scores are fewer in number (than in the past) is because studios don't want to pay the residuals to the composer/orchestra.

Of course another way of getting this disc is used via Ebay or Amazon Marketplace.
Old 01-28-05, 11:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I saw two versions tonight at work. One had green letters on the spine, the other silver. One looked like the original release and one looked like the one listed in the original post.

Dunno if the original I found in the store was a one time thing or not (never seen it in my store).
Old 01-29-05, 03:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cameron
Chuck Arrington's review of the Alien Legacy Disc 5

This is the real jewel of the entire collection. A 68-minute look at the progenitor of the Alien legacy, 1979’s, Alien. In 68 minutes you are taken from script to screen by Dan Obannon, Ridley Scott, Ronald Shusett & H.R.Giger just to name a few! You are further taken to pinewood studios back lot where a great degree of Alien was filmed. & The goodies just keep on coming! There is information here that has never been seen before outside of the minds of the men listed above. Models, storyboards, brainstorming sessions, behind the scenes sessions, film production, character development, you name it, this disc has it! Sharpline arts went out of their way to not only produce the one of the best Special Editions sets on the market, but they also did their homework & put out the best supplemental material in this disc. Unavailable as a single unit purchase, the disc is/was solely available via mail order after confirmation of your purchase of the set had been received by Fox. If you don’t already have the disc, you are missing the absolutely best part of the set. Sadly, I don’t know if these are even still available as it was supposed to be a limited offer. In any event, this disc itself is worth the price of admission & really gives you more information than was previously available about this groundbreaking film!

Sounds a lot like the 60min. documentary on the 9th disc of the Alien Quad set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.