Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

did walmart take the bonus disc away from best buy?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 05:10 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is awful, i do not like walmart, i hope this is not the way it is going to be, hopefully walmart will only do the bonus disc with sky captain, which i missed out on
Old 01-26-05, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Different stores pay big bucks to get exclusive material.

The wonders of a free market!
Old 01-26-05, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What was on the bonus disc?

Did anyone get it?
Old 01-26-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405631
Old 01-26-05, 04:04 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no problem with this, but I do live in fear of stores like Costco or Frye's (it is called Frye's, right?) offering such exclusives, since they are more region-specific retailers, not to be found anywhere remotely near my state of residence...
Old 01-26-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Different stores pay big bucks to get exclusive material.

The wonders of a free market!
That's actually not correct. Generally, these are promotions done by the studios to generate more sales for the product. Different studios will use different stores or most likely they are testing the market at Walmart for bonus discs to see how well it is received over there. The studios generally pay for these bonus discs.
Old 01-26-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by diespine
i hope this is not the way it is going to be, hopefully walmart will only do the bonus disc with sky captain, which i missed out on
Too late. Just a Week earlier Wal-Mart had an exclusive bonus disc with "Friday Night Lights."
Old 01-30-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On Saturday I went to my Walmart and saw tons of Sky Captain full-screen DVDs with the bonus DVD, but not a single widescreen one with it. I think there was a ratio of 5 full-screens to each widescreen. I've always wondered if that many people actually buy full-screen over widescreen or if Walmart's system (considered a wonderful inventory system if I can believe some news articles I once read) is clueless when it comes to ordering DVDs. Perhaps there were equal numbers of each and people bought out all the widescreens. I just find it strange that so often at Walmart there are so many full-screen editions and so few widescreens. Wouldn't their computer inventory system have noticed this trend and have corrected it by now?

Anyway, I went into the electronics area in the back of the store and surprise surprise there was 1 widescreen left with the bonus DVD in the store on an endcap.

I noticed it just had the Walmart bonus sticker on the front (and not the gold star sticker saying "Includes the magic behind the groundbreaking special effects, deleted scenes & gag real" that all the bare Widescreen versions had). When I shook it compared to a regular Widescreen, it sounds like there is a flap for a 2nd DVD inside the one with the bonus DVD, so I don't think someone switched the stickers just to play a joke.

Even though that gold star sticker is missing on the bonus DVD edition, it still contains all these same features as the bare Widescreen version?
Old 01-30-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the Sky Captain movie is the same as the regular version, just with the little paper sleeve inside with the 2nd DVD.
Old 01-30-05, 09:12 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

I found like the last and lonely widescreen copy with a bonus disc at my wallyworld. It was actually burried behind a ton of full screens.
Old 01-31-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DIgging had to be done, but I did find widescreen among the hundred or so copies of fullscreen. I even happened to have a Circuit City ad in my pocket (was going to Best Buy the next day to PM some $7.49 DVDs) and they brought the price down to $17-something from their $19. I'm a bonus disc whore.