Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problem with Polariod DVP-1000

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello-
I have a peculiar problem with my Polaroid DVP-1000 player. We've had it for 1 year and it always worked fine. We just got 2 new DVD's (Warner Bros.) and they play when you first put them in - sound and picture - for that initial screen you get before a movie that says to choose "play" or "scene select", etc.
Once we press "play", the audio stops. There is still a picture but no sound.
We returned the DVD's and got replacements but they still do the same thing.
The DVD's will play properly on our iMac (the only other DVD player in the house).
As I said, all our other DVD's as well as rentals - including other Warner Bros. - have worked. Polaroid customer service tells me it's a matter of incompatibility with these two disks and basically nothing can be done about it. True?
Old 01-26-05, 10:19 AM

[QUOTE=dale eve]
Once we press "play", the audio stops. There is still a picture but no sound.
We returned the DVD's and got replacements but they still do the same thing.
The DVD's will play properly on our iMac (the only other DVD player in the house).
QUOTE]

How is the audio from the DVD player connected, and to what? It sounds like there may be a problem with the player's audio settings in the "initial settings" menu.

I've never heard of an inherent incompatibility in a commercial DVD that would cause a complete loss of audio.

Most DVD menus are encoded in PCM (stereo) sound, and the bitstream switches to Dolby Digital or DTS when the movie starts. If you're using the analog outputs on your player, and the player isn't set up properly to send stereo to those outputs when a digital soundtrack is played, it would cause the symptoms you describe.

RichC
Old 01-26-05, 02:13 PM

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Only thing I'm wondering is, if this is the case, wouldn't every DVD have this problem? They all work except 2 of them.
Old 01-26-05, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by dale eve
Thanks for your thoughts on this. Only thing I'm wondering is, if this is the case, wouldn't every DVD have this problem? They all work except 2 of them.
You'd have the problem on any DVD that has only a Dolby Digital sioundtrack. DVDs that include a PCM soundtrack would play properly.

You should at least check.

RichC
Old 01-27-05, 05:48 PM

Thanks. I'll check it out.