Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dual-Discs - what's available?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 12:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I just recently bought my first Dual Disc: Jamie Cullum 'Twentysomething' to enjoy on my Accord 5.1 car-system.

what else is available? An article in the Washington Post the other day stated that 30 albums of this type are slated to be released as such per month, that's alot of Dual Disc releases, any good online sites that document and release upcoming news?
Old 01-24-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NIN: The Downward Spriral-

Tipper: Surrounded I have the DVD-A version of this but it is good too.

Edited to add:

DVDEMPIRE has a list of about 67 dual disks either available or up for pre-order.

Last edited by woofman; 01-24-05 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I'll have to check out that NIN disc. It's been a while since I've listened to that album and I just got my surround system set up in my house. Last night I watched quite a few R.E.M. videos in DTS. Nice.

I haven't seen that many Dual Discs yet, but I did see David Bowie's Reality the other day.
Old 01-25-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
REM is releasing Green, Out of Time, New Adventures in High Fi and Up in Dual Disc.
Old 01-25-05, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other titles available: Simple Plan "Still not Getting Any", The Donnas "Gold Medal," Diana Krall "The Girl in the Other Room," Keane "Hopes and Fears".

I personally am not investing in DD at all primarily because of the warnings and reported issues some people have had with DD's damaging their DVD players (the discs are thicker than normal CD's or DVD's), and the fact that the other side of the disc doesn't always include hi-res audio, which is just a waste in my opinion. I'm sticking with DVD-Audio, DD doesn't appear to be doing so hot, it's even being skipped for production in Europe. I think DVD-A and SACD have a much brighter future, although even there, the lack of people's interest in WHAT these 2 hi-res formats provide will nearly forever keep them a less popular format, even though their quality far surpasses just about any redbook CD.
Old 01-25-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar
REM is releasing Green, Out of Time, New Adventures in High Fi and Up in Dual Disc.
I think actually they will be 2 disc sets (1 CD, 1 DVD-A) like the Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots release by The Flaming Lips.
Old 01-25-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I think actually they will be 2 disc sets (1 CD, 1 DVD-A) like the Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots release by The Flaming Lips.
That's what I've read as well.

Unfortunately, I just noticed that my cheapo Cyberhome player doesn't play DVD Audio, so I guess I'll be upgrading or skipping these re-releases. It seems odd that my player can handle playing the R.E.M. videos in DTS, but it can't do DVD Audio.

Slightly further off-topic, but how do Dual Discs or DVD-As compare to the audio track on a DVD? For example, keeping with the R.E.M. example, the latest Best-of is available as a DVD with DTS or DD audio, a CD and a DVD-A. Would the DVD-A sound better than the DVD?
Old 01-25-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GoVegan
That's what I've read as well.

Unfortunately, I just noticed that my cheapo Cyberhome player doesn't play DVD Audio, so I guess I'll be upgrading or skipping these re-releases. It seems odd that my player can handle playing the R.E.M. videos in DTS, but it can't do DVD Audio.

Slightly further off-topic, but how do Dual Discs or DVD-As compare to the audio track on a DVD? For example, keeping with the R.E.M. example, the latest Best-of is available as a DVD with DTS or DD audio, a CD and a DVD-A. Would the DVD-A sound better than the DVD?
The hi-res DVD-Audio track is almost always the best option for listening.
Old 01-27-05, 05:57 AM

I just read that in March we will see DualDisc releases from the following:

Chevelle: This type of thinking
Duran Duran: Astronaut
Indigo Girls: All that we let in
Jessica Simpson: In this skin
LAMB OF GOD: Ashes of the Wake WHOO-HOO!
Old 01-27-05, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Final Straw by Snow Patrol just came out on DualDisc.
Old 04-07-05, 06:48 AM

"Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis is easily the best thing released in the format.
Old 04-07-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The official site may help. It lists what's on the DVD sides of titles, although I noticed that it may be a bit incomplete. For instance, it didn't mention that Nellie McKay's DVD side has a couple of unreleased studio songs on it.

Also, upcoming new CDs from Bruce Springsteen, Nine Inch Nails, and Ben Folds will be DualDiscs.
Old 04-07-05, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
... and Ben Folds will be DualDiscs.
really?!... cool.
Old 04-08-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rob Thomas solo album will be Dual Disc.
Old 04-08-05, 02:03 PM
Retired

The new Dave Matthews Band album "Stand Up" will be available in dual disc.

You can preorder at the link below for about $21 shipped and get a 5 song bonus cd and a free Rolling Stone subscription.

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/d...fid=341&sfid=2
Old 05-01-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by woofman
I just read that in March we will see DualDisc releases from the following:

LAMB OF GOD: Ashes of the Wake WHOO-HOO!
my post from another thread:

...also thinking of getting my first Dual Disc [LAMB of GOD "Ashes of the Wake"], anyone have it/what's u're review on it? I want it but I have read bad things about DD.... let me know.
Old 05-01-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I just recently bought my first Dual Disc: Jamie Cullum 'Twentysomething' to enjoy on my Accord 5.1 car-system.
Did you install the 5.1 system in your car or did you buy it installed? I know Acura is selling cars with 5.1 built-in. I really want a 5.1 system for my car.

Last edited by jarofclay73; 05-02-05 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-02-05, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
The official site may help. It lists what's on the DVD sides of titles, although I noticed that it may be a bit incomplete. For instance, it didn't mention that Nellie McKay's DVD side has a couple of unreleased studio songs on it.

Also, upcoming new CDs from Bruce Springsteen, Nine Inch Nails, and Ben Folds will be DualDiscs.

Wow. I'm embarrassed to say that until I saw this thread just now I've never heard of Dualdiscs.
Old 05-02-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Might be a dumb question...do dualdiscs play in regular CD players?
Old 05-02-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Toad
Might be a dumb question...do dualdiscs play in regular CD players?
Yes. CD audio on one side. DVD-audio on the other.

I just got the Ben Folds disc. In addition to the DVD-Audio, they throw some video on as well.
Old 05-02-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds excellent, thanks!
Old 05-02-05, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
Did you install the 5.1 system in your car or did you buy it installed? I know Acura is selling cars with 5.1 built-in. I really want a 5.1 system for my car.
bought it installed, thank god. it's a great system - it can also play DTS CD's. As to the new Ben Fold's album it's not DVD-Audio, cause my car system denoted it wasn't as such.
Old 05-02-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

most of the dual discs are dvd-video but have 5.1DD sound... some people just call that dvd audio...when really it is a dvd-video disc that has a 5.1mix (or 2.0pcm)... I've gotten a few dual discs, just for the dvd side:

Three Days Grace - self titled
Crossfade - self titled
Snow Patrol - final straw
Good Charlotte - Chronicles of life & death
Britney Spears - In the Zone
Chevelle - this type of thinking
Incubus - a crow left of the murder
Rob Thomas - something to be
Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin
Velvet Revolver - Contraband

I find the double sided discs are pretty cumbersome, so I usually "backup" each side to an independent disc and then just leave the actual dualdisc on the shelf.

MATT
Old 05-02-05, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
my post from another thread:

...also thinking of getting my first Dual Disc [LAMB of GOD "Ashes of the Wake"], anyone have it/what's u're review on it? I want it but I have read bad things about DD.... let me know.
I own it and have listened to it twice so far. Sounds great. Very crisp production. Not a whole lot of surround activity throughout the album, but more like an added ambience. The vocals do stand out a lot more and sound like they're coming from all over the room. I don't know if its my DVD player or the disc, but the last few songs in 5.1 sound like they slow down and then speed up again, like putting your hand on a record while it's playing. Anyone else notice this?

The video clips from the upcoming Killadelphia DVD are awesome!
Old 05-02-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by woofman
I don't know if its my DVD player or the disc, but the last few songs in 5.1 sound like they slow down and then speed up again, like putting your hand on a record while it's playing. Anyone else notice this?

The video clips from the upcoming Killadelphia DVD are awesome!

NO!, U had me until this point. That sucks, hope that it's just a bad disc, but it might be the crap that I've been reading about DD, I believe that THE DONNA's DD that my brother bought is missing the last song on the DVD-side... I'll stay away from dual disc's

Thank's, anyway.

Oh, I just found out the other day 'bout the Killadelphia dvd, I'll be getting... since they were prohibited from playing THE FORUM [Inglewood, Ca.] on the Slipknot tour

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.