Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What's the BEST way to hook up a SUB?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I've read a few different things on how to hook up your Subwoofer. Currently, I have it passively connected with the speakers running through the sub. I know you are supped to set your SUB to OFF on the receiver if you do this. It seems to be fine, but I like to have everything connected the BEST way. I've read the manual for my receiver, and everything seems correct.

Is it better to use a Subwoofer Cable connected to your receiver, and all your speakers just directly connected to your receiver?

You would need a LFE connection on the sub, correct?

Also, what is a GOOD sub to have. It may be the next thing I upgrade on my system. I currently have an older JBL sub (8" I think...maybe 10" though)

I'm not really complaining on my current sound, I was just curious.
Old 01-24-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If you have the space this is a great sub. I have the 20-39pci in my theater and I love it.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subwoofers2.htm

Try this link for a laugh!

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/animation.htm

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 01-24-05 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow

Is it better to use a Subwoofer Cable connected to your receiver, and all your speakers just directly connected to your receiver?

You would need a LFE connection on the sub, correct?
For home theater applications, yes, it's better to use the subwoofer (LFE) output on the receiver, connected to the line-level input on the sub. Set up the bass management on the receiver ("large/small," etc.) including the crossover frequency, and then set the sub's own crossover to its highest setting (or "off") so that it won't interfere with the receiver's bass management.

Letting the receiver handle bass management will assure optimal performance in most systems.

RichC
Old 01-25-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rdclark
For home theater applications, yes, it's better to use the subwoofer (LFE) output on the receiver, connected to the line-level input on the sub. Set up the bass management on the receiver ("large/small," etc.) including the crossover frequency, and then set the sub's own crossover to its highest setting (or "off") so that it won't interfere with the receiver's bass management.

Letting the receiver handle bass management will assure optimal performance in most systems.

RichC
My crossover on my receiver is set to 100
My sub has a settings from 40 up to 120....

what should I set my sub at for the best sound?? I'd like for my receiver to do it's job and not overload or underload my sub.

I got an Athena sub for a good deal....are those considered to be a good choice?
Old 01-26-05, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by jessecrx
My crossover on my receiver is set to 100
My sub has a settings from 40 up to 120....

what should I set my sub at for the best sound?? I'd like for my receiver to do it's job and not overload or underload my sub.

I got an Athena sub for a good deal....are those considered to be a good choice?
Set the sub's crossover to the highest setting (or turn it off, if that's a choice). You want the receiver's crossover to do the work.

Athena stuff seems to be pretty well-regarded in its price range. The only problem with their subs is the way the crossovers are so specifically designed to work with their own speakers (this the very low maximum crossover frequency). Still, set for 120Hz and you should be OK.

RichC