Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Karate Kid Collection

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-05, 11:59 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karate Kid Collection

I heard a partial TV ad for a 4-DVD collection of all the Karate Kid Movies to be released February 1, 2005 - in Region 1.

The huge disappointment for me is in reading the detail for the set on the sites taking preorders. The detail appears to indicate that the original Karate Kid is in the collection as "full frame" only.

Can anyone provide definitive information on the aspect ratio of each DVD, and whatever special features the set might include?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-05, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yankee0066
I heard a partial TV ad for a 4-DVD collection of all the Karate Kid Movies to be released February 1, 2005 - in Region 1.

The huge disappointment for me is in reading the detail for the set on the sites taking preorders. The detail appears to indicate that the original Karate Kid is in the collection as "full frame" only.

Can anyone provide definitive information on the aspect ratio of each DVD, and whatever special features the set might include?

Thanks.
Its in Widescreen. Do a search next time
Old 01-25-05, 07:43 PM
Cool New Member

I did do a search, and at the time of my posting saw nothing to the widescreen effect on the original movie.

As of earlier today, I see on several sites that only one aspect ratio (Anamorphic Widescreen) is listed - which implies all discs are in widescreen.
Old 01-28-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone reviewed the Set yet?
Old 01-29-05, 12:00 AM
Cool New Member

It won't be officially released until February 1st. Mine is set to ship on 2-8-05, according to my order-confrimation email.

The only disappointment I can see with the detail that is out now is the exclusion of Dolby Digital 5.1. The details for the collection indicate it only has Dolby Digital 2.0.

If there's no 5.1, one's gotta ask why would one ever assemble a comprehensive DVD collection of a series with action scenes and not encode the sound in DD5.1? Really, really stupid.
Old 01-29-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My review is up on the review page.
Karate Kid Collection

Last edited by FrancisRizzo3; 01-30-05 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-29-05, 05:03 PM
Cool New Member

Well, despite Francis' Recommendation, the details of the review show just how far the studio went to short-cut what could have been a really nice compilation.

I initially give them an 'F' for effort.
Old 01-29-05, 05:44 PM
Banned

Frank could you edit the link to your review back into your message. I'd appreicate it. Just one less click I have to do.
Old 01-29-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good review. I'm glad the commentary is gonna be good. It sounds like my favorite type of commentary, interesting tidbits and joking around, talking it seriously, but still making a little fun.

Last edited by Yeti4623; 01-30-05 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-30-05, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, despite Francis' Recommendation, the details of the review show just how far the studio went to short-cut what could have been a really nice compilation.

I initially give them an 'F' for effort.
Despite my recommendation, I agree with you. I was torn about how to sum it up, but I can't see any Karate Kid fan not owning this set. The extras on the first film are just too good, and overall, the quality of the discs is good but not great, as it could have been. Unfortunately, when we buy them, that just tells the studios they can make half-assed efforts on sentimental favorites and we'll take it.

I've learned as a fan of DVDs, that disappointment is all too often a part of reality. Doesn't mean we can't fight it (as the Willy Wonka widescreen controvery proved), but you may need to make a compromise once in a while to get the movies you want. I guess we have to pick our battles.
Old 01-30-05, 11:06 AM
Cool New Member

Well, I have seen the previously-existing full-frame Karate Kid only, and it looked pretty pristine (except for being full-rame). Given your language, it sounds lke the pooch was royally screwed in the attention and resources devoted to brining a proper Karate Kid set to region 1 (when it has existed elsewhere in the world for years now).

In hopes of teaching the manipulative and dishonest studios responsible for such half-assed decisions a lesson, I hope sales are horrible, and will likely cancel my order soon. Maybe others (perhaps many others) will be as disappointed as I am.
Old 01-30-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Other than a hint of grain, the new transfer isn't bad at all...I noticed a little dirt on the print in some of the 2nd unit footage (mostly the opening montage), but there's only a few instances of this in the whole film. The 2.0 Dolby sounds pretty good for a 2.0 track - I don't think a lot of buyers will be complaining about either the video or audio quality...the print looks a lot better than THE BODYGUARD special edition (one I also got this weekend) - and KARATE KID is 8 years older than that film.

Columbia has made a pretty good effort with the featurettes...they are all anamorphic and the documentary (which is in two parts) runs about 45 minutes total. There's also a hidden Easter Egg in which Pat Johnson shows how he choreographed the final fight sequence (using a few stunt assistants to show us how).

The only featurette that really isn't worth the time (at least in my opinion) is the one about bonsai trees.
Old 01-30-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Other than a hint of grain, the new transfer isn't bad at all...I noticed a little dirt on the print in some of the 2nd unit footage (mostly the opening montage), but there's only a few instances of this in the whole film. The 2.0 Dolby sounds pretty good for a 2.0 track - I don't think a lot of buyers will be complaining about either the video or audio quality...the print looks a lot better than THE BODYGUARD special edition (one I also got this weekend) - and KARATE KID is 8 years older than that film.
I hope I haven't made it seem like it's awful in my review. My main complaint was the bitrate. I think if more disc space was devoted to the video, it could have looked better. I wouldn't rate it any better than average (2.5) but its not a reason to not own the discs (as I say in my wrap-up.)

But boy...Part 3.... there is dirt, and then there's DIRT. The Devil's Cauldron is DIRT.

You didn't like Ben Oki? I thought it was right for the DVD, considering how big a part of the series the little trees played, especially in part three.
Old 01-30-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I have seen the previously-existing full-frame Karate Kid only, and it looked pretty pristine (except for being full-rame). Given your language, it sounds lke the pooch was royally screwed in the attention and resources devoted to brining a proper Karate Kid set to region 1 (when it has existed elsewhere in the world for years now).

In hopes of teaching the manipulative and dishonest studios responsible for such half-assed decisions a lesson, I hope sales are horrible, and will likely cancel my order soon. Maybe others (perhaps many others) will be as disappointed as I am.
Based on the materials on this set (outside of the special edition KK1), these probably are the same discs as the one available in other regions, as the special features are the same, albeit shuffled slightly.

Screwed the pooch? No...not really. Disappointing? Yes, to anyone who really enjoys these movies. Worth buying? Absolutely. Despite what I said above, I don't think any amount of arguing was going to get a better produced set of KK movies. I just don't believe they hold the same spot in DVD buyers' hearts as other films, which would make it hard to justify a digital clean-up on the KK films (as much as the first one deserves it.)
Old 01-30-05, 09:06 PM
Banned

They didn't give us 5.1!!!!(For goodness sake...a DTS would have been prefered)

No extras on Part 2 or 3 or that other one- Ridiculous- no commentary on any of the other 3 films. WTF? Fans want info about all of them, not just the first film.

No trailer or TV spots for Karate Kid Part III? Again you have to ask yourself what were they thinking?

No new interviews with any of the cast that made this film so memorable? How about Martin Kove who was perfectly cast as Sesei Kreese, or William Zabka, or maybe even that guy who did the "Bury in a body bag...yeah".

Why didn't they just make it a 4 Disc set, dual layer the discs. Includew the film on the front, and the extras on the other side, so as to maximize bitrate. Do this for the other three films. I would like to know about what prompted the studio to go ahead with some of the sequels, tmaybe how they came to get the story, some production notes. I can't believe people don't know what the fans want. Don't studios understand if a set is done properly( AND THE LACK OF 5.1 IS POPOSTEROUS!!!!) fans will be there paying. THis is a cult series like Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Back to the Future, maybe not as many fans as either of those trilogies(notice I said, "trilogy" as I count "Next" as a seperate piece outside the KK canon), but still enought there to warrant respect from the studio.
Old 01-30-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dalvin
No new interviews with any of the cast that made this film so memorable? How about Martin Kove who was perfectly cast as Sesei Kreese, or William Zabka, or maybe even that guy who did the "Bury in a body bag...yeah".
Zabka and Kove are both featured in new interviews in "The Way of the Karate Kid." I'm amending the review to note that.
Old 01-30-05, 10:26 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by FrancisRizzo3
Screwed the pooch? No...not really. Disappointing? Yes, to anyone who really enjoys these movies. Worth buying? Absolutely. Despite what I said above, I don't think any amount of arguing was going to get a better produced set of KK movies.
They completely screwed the pooch (my and others' opinions). I do agree that arguing may not necessarily get the decision-makers to get their collective heads out of their rectums long-enough to realize that they executed this set in a very very half-assed fashion. But, a few words of advice for these idiots: If you're going to do something - DO IT, if you're not then DON'T do it - but regardless DON'T do it HALF-ASSED! Full-quality bit rate (6-8 would have been nice), 5.1 sound on all films. Any box-set collection should have both of these and original cinematic aspect ratio included - MINIMUM!

Originally Posted by FrancisRizzo3
I just don't believe they hold the same spot in DVD buyers' hearts as other films, which would make it hard to justify a digital clean-up on the KK films (as much as the first one deserves it.)
There is a large audience that like me can't believe it even took this long to publish a widescreen box set of the Karate Kid series in the US. I completely disagree as IF this set had been executed properly, instead of hearing complaints they would hear the metaphoric ringing of registers with sales. Now, only some will buy it. Some casual purchasers, and relatively hard-core Karate Kid fans will both be turned-off by this set as it is currently executed - largely for the shortcomings I detail.

How would anyone know if it would sell if properly executed, since that's not what we have. The execution of this set is very half-assed!
Old 01-30-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Boy, what a bunch of whiners. I'm just happy we are getting it in OAR. The audio doesn't bother me at all; it was stereo in the original soundtrack, so I am fine with them reproducing it for the DVD. Every DVD can't be done to perfection, no matter how much we all might enjoy the film. Why not look at what things have been improved/included instead of focusing on what was left out?
Old 01-31-05, 01:56 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Boy, what a bunch of whiners. I'm just happy we are getting it in OAR. The audio doesn't bother me at all; it was stereo in the original soundtrack, so I am fine with them reproducing it for the DVD.
I guess you were fine with the Terminator being only available in the original monoral track until only a few years ago, then huh? That shows you will accept anything. To your standards, they could have allowed a cheap 'bootlegger' to copy the films from VHS and you'd be happy.

Every DVD can't be done to perfection, no matter how much we all might enjoy the film. Why not look at what things have been improved/included instead of focusing on what was left out?
First, yes they can, and your pessamistic commentary shows you ignorance on the subject of DVD authoring and production (have you never seen a DVD of a given film look better than its previous non-DVD release). Second, because nothing was improved. They easily could have easily mastered the entire series in 5.1 (or do you think all the DVDs in 5.1 were in 5.1 when the films were originally mastered). The bitrate is also an easy adjustment.

Your quick acceptance of whatever the decision-makers thow at you reinforces their orientation to release sub-standard DVD sets like this one. Why not save your money, and just buy the set on VHS and have them crudely copied over to DVD (or even do it yourself - the crude process really is pretty easy)? You'd still be happy.
Old 01-31-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess you were fine with the Terminator being only available in the original monoral track until only a few years ago, then huh? That shows you will accept anything. To your standards, they could have allowed a cheap 'bootlegger' to copy the films from VHS and you'd be happy.

First, yes they can, and your pessamistic commentary shows you ignorance on the subject of DVD authoring and production (have you never seen a DVD of a given film look better than its previous non-DVD release). Second, because nothing was improved. They easily could have easily mastered the entire series in 5.1 (or do you think all the DVDs in 5.1 were in 5.1 when the films were originally mastered). The bitrate is also an easy adjustment.

Your quick acceptance of whatever the decision-makers thow at you reinforces their orientation to release sub-standard DVD sets like this one. Why not save your money, and just buy the set on VHS and have them crudely copied over to DVD (or even do it yourself - the crude process really is pretty easy)? You'd still be happy.
Wow, you are really a dick, aren't you? If you want to assume you know all that about me, then go ahead believing it.
Old 01-31-05, 02:09 PM
Cool New Member

No, you are a severly mis-informed little-person (metaphorically speaking). Nothing but an arrogant fight-picker, and as you put it a dick.
Old 01-31-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, you are a severly mis-informed little-person (metaphorically speaking). Nothing but an arrogant fight-picker, and as you put it a dick.
Why don't you reread my original post and tell me exactly how I was picking a fight?
Boy, what a bunch of whiners. I'm just happy we are getting it in OAR. The audio doesn't bother me at all; it was stereo in the original soundtrack, so I am fine with them reproducing it for the DVD. Every DVD can't be done to perfection, no matter how much we all might enjoy the film. Why not look at what things have been improved/included instead of focusing on what was left out?
Aside from the whiners bit (which wasn't directed only at you), I was stating my opinion of the situation. You decided to take that personally and attack me. You act like you are somehow entitled to what is being put into these DVDs. You aren't; the studio is being nice enough to go back and put extras (meager as you may think) into these releases, including a widescreen transfer for the original. If these discs aren't to your liking, then don't fucking buy them.
Old 01-31-05, 06:12 PM
Cool New Member

Besides calling many including me whiners, there's this, fight-picker:

If these discs aren't to your liking, then don't fucking buy them.
So, given your venture into profane language, you prove yourself to be one:

-to ignore, much like the 'village idiot', or someone else's 8-year old child who is misbehaving - which maybe you are, and
-to be potentially reprimanded by the PTB of DVD Talk for profane language which I'm reasonably sure is not allowed in here.

Here's hoping for your banishment. The KK set (trying to get back on-subject from FinkIdiot's postings) is not properly executed at all. A half-assed job was done on it, and therefore may it see very half-assed sales.
Old 01-31-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why don't you get down off your high horse and just recognize that we have a difference of opinion when it comes to this set? I'm not overly impressed with the apparent A/V quality of this set, but it has enough extras to make me consider buying it. That's all I was trying to say in the first place. It seemed like the majority of this thread was dedicated to finding all the flaws in this set instead of being happy with what we did get. I was just trying to point out that aside from all of its obvious warts, it still has some merit. If all you want to do is pick apart all of its flaws, then more power to you. I was only trying to introduce a different perspective.

And if it really makes you feel better to think of me as a child/idiot/potential outcast, then please continue. I won't hold you back.
Old 01-31-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
The Karate Kid is in OAR

original audio ratio

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.