Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : good idea? bad idea? comments please.

fliggil
01-23-05, 06:15 PM
OK so I will keep my story short, because I know when I talk about what I study and such, I get into way too much detail. Basically, part of my major is in film and I've run my own website dealing with film/music reviews/interviews for about 6 months now. I know the idea of a DVD magazine has been discussed before and is usually shot down. I had a similar idea, either a bi-monthly or monthly magazine, but it would be something distributed for free on my college campus (University of Florida, ~45000 students). My vision is it would be DVD reviews, with special sections maybe like 1 on a Criterion release, 'classic feature', etc., also include some interviews, and maybe info on some of the local theaters that show indie/foreign films. Has anyone had any experience starting up a publication? Know about costs? I wouldn't have to pay a staff because I could easily find other willing students to work on this for fun, and to put on their resume. How hard is it being placed on a 'publication' list with DVD distributors for obtaining copies to review? Comments? Let me have it.

Al Padrino
01-23-05, 06:32 PM
Not sure about many of the things you asked about, but I do know that unless you get in good with a publisher, the cost to make a good number of copies is going to be the most costly thing, especially if it were to include any color whatsoever.

fliggil
01-23-05, 06:37 PM
Well I know there's a few publishers who work with some of the clubs and student organizations, so I'm checking into all of that tomorrow about rates. I also think I should be able to get some sponsors that I hope would cover most of the cost, maybe even finding a distributor to sponsor?

Al Padrino
01-23-05, 06:40 PM
That'd be best, since it sounds like this is something you're planning on funding yourself.

speedyray
01-23-05, 07:04 PM
Just sell advertising. It should not be hard on a college campus. Advertisers love that demographic.

fliggil
01-23-05, 07:06 PM
Just sell advertising. It should not be hard on a college campus. Advertisers love that demographic.

Not a bad idea, I was thinking just having sponsors, but I guess ads are a possibility too. I'm actually in an advertising class now, I'm sure I could find some students interested in helping out with that aspect.

marty888
01-23-05, 09:06 PM
Ambiguous thread titles? Bad idea.

fliggil
01-23-05, 09:14 PM
touche.

critterdvd
01-23-05, 09:19 PM
not a bad idea...

Cameron
01-23-05, 09:20 PM
you can't make money without ads...

get ads...new movies in theaters, new dvds, retailers, cola, fast food

get in contact with dvd companies for screeners, but it may be a good idea to review a few dvds already out for your first few issues.

Also a good idea to line up a few interviews. Hot young actors are a good way to sell magazine...personally i would love to see some more technical stuff...interviews with lowrey digital, DTS vs Dolby Digital, Hell do a Widescreen vs. Fullscreen compare.

Also may be worth interviewing some Indie films that would buy an ad space.

Are you going to pack it with a dvd? Pretty easy to get a PD title, short films from indies, and movie and dvd trailers. Some studios might even pay to advertise on the disc.

when you get it printed show it to us here...I'd buy a copy

fliggil
01-23-05, 09:28 PM
You're talking a bit too professional, at least at this point. This is going to be student run (I'm only 20), and paid for by local businesses, getting any decent name interview probably would be a bit difficult for a while, and for including a DVD, that's just way too much. This isn't going to be a piece of junk, but it's gonna be free, paid for by ads/sponsors, because my idea is to make it available on campus here.

cynthia
01-23-05, 09:29 PM
I was hoping this was about Animaniacs.

LikeMiamiVice
01-24-05, 02:13 AM
hey i go to UF too,would love to see your news paper

El-Kabong
01-24-05, 10:48 AM
Most worthless thread ever. I want my click back.

Yakuza Bengoshi
01-24-05, 10:58 AM
What you're talking about sounds like a zine. Before the rise of the internet there were hundreds of small run magazines similar to the one you're proposing. Reviewing CDs and Albums was probably the most popular category. Most of them have died out or now appear only in an online format because of print and distribution costs, but there's no reason you shouldn't give it a go if you have the time and money to spend.

fliggil
01-24-05, 11:43 AM
What you're talking about sounds like a zine. Before the rise of the internet there were hundreds of small run magazines similar to the one you're proposing. Reviewing CDs and Albums was probably the most popular category. Most of them have died out or now appear only in an online format because of print and distribution costs, but there's no reason you shouldn't give it a go if you have the time and money to spend.

I've been running something similar to this idea online for about 6 months now, and it's been mildly successful, however the main focus has been on music. Mainly because I've been the one doing all the work...site design and maintanance, setting up reviews, interviews, keeping in touch with various pr and press persons, writing the articles, moderating the message board, and so on...a lot of work for one person. My idea here is that I can find, if need be it, 10-20 people to help with this project, working for free, all I need to do is be able to have ads and sponsors cover the print and distribution costs. I feel there's just too much competition online, and on a college campus where theres 45000 students walking around and with time in between class and such, they usually pick up one of the 3 or 4 free publications that are available here.

Cameron
01-24-05, 04:21 PM
well then how about a spread on blue ray vs hd-dvd?

fliggil
01-24-05, 05:50 PM
Just checked into pricing, turns out there's very few (about 1) press companies that will publish a magazine here in Gainesville, they ballparked me somewhere around $5000 for 1000 copies of a 44pg full color magazine. Gives me something to work with, although it can vary a bit each way depending on number of pages, quality of paper, print, etc. Anyone even deal with anything like this and know if that's a reasonable price?