DVD Talk
SO-Snowblower jammed by newspaper-how to get out? (pics) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : SO-Snowblower jammed by newspaper-how to get out? (pics)

Buford T Pusser
01-22-05, 04:35 PM
Today I spent about one hour clearing off the driveway. Only five feet to go and the snowblower jammed with a screech.

What was that?

Turns out our suburban weekly picked today to give us a free copy, throwing it in the driveway which was covered with eight inches of snow.

I managed to get half of the paper out, but of course the part in the back is jammed tight.

What to do? I'd like to set it on fire but that's probably not the brightest idea.

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/9048/snowa0tr.jpg

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/9048/snowa0tr.

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/6858/snowb1pt.jpg

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/6858/snowb1pt.jpg

Thanks in advance for all of your serious and helpful answers.

Nick Danger
01-22-05, 04:39 PM
Can you poke it back through the blades from the top with a stick?

Kittydreamer
01-22-05, 04:43 PM
Thanks in advance for all of your serious and helpful answers.

:lol: Yeah, good luck with that!

And good luck with fixing your snow-blower, too.

OldDude
01-22-05, 04:44 PM
Can you hook up a hose to an inside water faucet (use warm water) and make it a wet soggy mess. Newspaper has terrible "wet strength" so it would be easy to pick out then. Unfortunately, the water will freeze somewhere and make a big mess, but maybe you could drag it to side of garage or something.

Buford T Pusser
01-22-05, 04:48 PM
Can you poke it back through the blades from the top with a stick?

The paper is compacted so tight it doesn't want to move. It's dark now, but in the AM I may try and long screwdriver. But that thing is tight.

Buford T Pusser
01-22-05, 04:51 PM
Can you hook up a hose to an inside water faucet (use warm water) and make it a wet soggy mess. Newspaper has terrible "wet strength" so it would be easy to pick out then. Unfortunately, the water will freeze somewhere and make a big mess, but maybe you could drag it to side of garage or something.

I was thinking about getting it wet just didn't want to since it was so cold. That may be the thing to do. I need some "newspaper dissolvin' liquid".

I also am a little wary about sticking my hand in there. I don't think it's going to do anything when it's unjammed but I don't want to lose a finger or hand. :eek:

OldDude
01-22-05, 04:59 PM
You could have some tension stored in a belt or something, so it could move an inch or so when it frees up. I'd approach it in a way that considers that possibility (ie with a stick or screwdriver).

You might add a little detergent, it contains a wetting agent which will help water soak in, and it will make everything slippery. Actually, is it positioned so a couple of pails of warm soapy water would mostly wet the paper?

Buford T Pusser
01-22-05, 05:04 PM
I'll try to add the detergent. I think that I could get most of it wet with some buckets of water. Once it's soaked it should absorb into the paper.

AGuyNamedMike
01-22-05, 05:10 PM
My solution:

two full buckets of hot water mixed with automatic dishwasher detergent (about a cup per bucket). Why this type? No suds and rinses more easily. After pouring in first bucket, let soak for a few minutes then dig at paper clump with something sharpish (like your long screwdriver) and clear out as much as you can. After second bucket, repeat and the clump should be all gone. Rinse out with clean water and inspect the blades and the shaft for bends (if the shaft is bent more than just a tiny bit it will have to be replaced).

mikehunt
01-22-05, 05:11 PM
You could have some tension stored in a belt or something, so it could move an inch or so when it frees up. I'd approach it in a way that considers that possibility (ie with a stick or screwdriver).

happens a lot here. people get cut if they're lucky, lose fingers if they're not

Trout
01-22-05, 06:36 PM
First get really drunk, then reach in and pull...finally have your s/o drive you and your bloody stump to the hospital.

It happens more than you would think.

BigPete
01-22-05, 07:00 PM
FIRE!

TheGuy
01-22-05, 08:32 PM
FIRE!

That is what I was going to say, a little lighter fluid and let it burn for a minute or so then poor a bucket of water on it.

Pressplay
01-22-05, 08:55 PM
Sue the bastards who put the paper on your driveway in the first place.

zuffy
01-22-05, 08:56 PM
Wouldn't the fire burn/melt the plastic hose above?

Buford T Pusser
01-22-05, 09:23 PM
I mentioned the fire in my first post, but hate to do such a thing anywhere near a gas tank. Plus it's so cold I don't think the matches would stay lit.

I think the plastic above would be okay.

DeadLamb
01-22-05, 10:55 PM
I mentioned the fire in my first post, but hate to do such a thing anywhere near a gas tank..

hey don't be selfish, you should be thinking what is best FOR us..

So you need two helpers, one to take pics and the other to constantly try to restart the blower (so you know for sure it free and clear of the jam) as you take both hands and try to tug and pull a burning mass of news paper out of a gas soaked snow blower...

or if you want to be selfish, the water soaking sounds like a good idea.. With really hot/boiling water it's not going to freeze again that quickly and wet news paper should just poke right now. Sep with those sort of blades I'm not sticking my hand down there.. screw driver ect should work..

mndtrp
01-23-05, 02:18 AM
It's always good to ask your friends for help. Close friends, friends who like to 'chip' in when needed.

http://www.clearlake.k12.wi.us/Lunch%20Menu/Fargo.jpg

B.A.
01-23-05, 08:54 AM
That's what you get for being uppity and not using your shovel.

;)

The water/detergent combo sounds like a great idea.

And please don't put your hand in there, it could affect your typing. :p

FiveO
01-23-05, 09:21 AM
Power drill.

That should loosen that paper right up.

I wouldn't use fire....any spilled gas and your snow blower will go up in flames!

mkdevo
01-23-05, 10:46 AM
i'd call my lawyer immediately, if not sooner, and sue the balls out of the newspaper...

Sloth911
01-23-05, 12:33 PM
i'd call my lawyer immediately, if not sooner, and sue the balls out of the newspaper...
this is part of what is wrong with our country.

i bet the judge would really, really enjoy hearing the case and give you millions of dollars.

Cameron
01-23-05, 12:36 PM
did you get it out yet

Myster X
01-23-05, 12:43 PM
turn of the power and detach the blade?

Buford T Pusser
01-23-05, 01:12 PM
I have not tried to work it out yet. Visited my place of worship, came home for a quick lunch then I'm away for the day.

HistoryProf
01-23-05, 01:22 PM
I have not tried to work it out yet. Visited my place of worship, came home for a quick lunch then I'm away for the day.
You go somewhere else to take a dump on sunday mornings?

Buford T Pusser
01-23-05, 01:24 PM
:eek:

:lol:

MasterofDVD
01-23-05, 09:15 PM
FIRE!

I too think this is a good idea. Might not be the safest but it might provide the best follow up post.

Buford T Pusser
01-23-05, 09:19 PM
If I live to post again.

Bloomiesgirl
01-23-05, 10:07 PM
I want an update. Your story made me laugh. This sounds exactly like the lucky my dad would have with his snowblower.. i called him today to tell him to keep a watchful eye out for the newspaper hiding underneath ;)

mkdevo
01-24-05, 06:58 AM
this is part of what is wrong with our country.

i bet the judge would really, really enjoy hearing the case and give you millions of dollars.

inability to detect sarcasm is the other part that's wrong with our country..

milwaukee_mike
01-24-05, 08:12 AM
Hi, I had the same exact thing happen to me last winter. Same type of local Sunday flier. Same jam location. I believe I was able to free mine suing a pair of long plier and a jamming tool (wood dowel). I was able to free it after several minutes of poking, proding and pulling.

If yours is jammed as bad as you say, I would try the soapy water method as well. And definitely be wary of the potential energy stored up in those locked blades. Don't put any body parts between them.

You could also try calling your local small engine repair place (they usually sell lawn and garden equipment) and ask them for suggestions. They likely see this all the time.

Good luck!

Nick Danger
01-24-05, 09:35 AM
Hey, Lefty?

What happened?

Buford T Pusser
01-24-05, 09:39 AM
How'd you know I'm left-handed. :eek:

Nick Danger
01-24-05, 10:37 AM
Left handed people tend toward the creative professions, like photography. They also tend to be hopeless at solving simple mechanical problems.

kvrdave
01-24-05, 10:51 AM
:lol:

jonw9
01-24-05, 11:04 AM
With really hot/boiling water it's not going to freeze again that quickly..

Actually, hot water freezes quicker than cold. Crystalization occures more rapidly when there is a larger temperature differential. I always used hot water to make ice cubes (back when people had to use trays) because of this.

"The phenomenon that hot water may freeze faster than cold is often called the Mpemba effect. Because, no doubt, most readers are extremely skeptical at this point, we should begin by stating precisely what we mean by the Mpemba effect. We start with two containers of water, which are identical in shape, and which hold identical amounts of water. The only difference between the two is that the water in one is at a higher (uniform) temperature than the water in the other. Now we cool both containers, using the exact same cooling process for each container. Under some conditions the initially warmer water will freeze first. If this occurs, we have seen the Mpemba effect. Of course, the initially warmer water will not freeze before the initially cooler water for all initial conditions. If the hot water starts at 99.9 C, and the cold water at 0.01 C, then clearly under those circumstances, the initially cooler water will freeze first. However, under some conditions the initially warmer water will freeze first -- if that happens, you have seen the Mpemba effect. But you will not see the Mpemba effect for just any initial temperatures, container shapes, or cooling conditions."

Buford T Pusser
01-24-05, 12:37 PM
I've heard that about water. I used to put in hot water while making ice cubes.

Green Jello
01-24-05, 12:51 PM
turn of the power and detach the blade?

Exactly. All these solutions seem too complicated. Take the damn machine apart.

Buford T Pusser
01-24-05, 02:15 PM
If you saw how many screws buried by other parts with more screws you'd look for an easier way.

AGuyNamedMike
01-24-05, 02:17 PM
"The phenomenon that hot water may freeze faster than cold is often called the Mpemba effect. Because, no doubt, most readers are extremely skeptical at this point, we should begin by stating precisely what we mean by the Mpemba effect. We start with two containers of water, which are identical in shape, and which hold identical amounts of water. The only difference between the two is that the water in one is at a higher (uniform) temperature than the water in the other. Now we cool both containers, using the exact same cooling process for each container. Under some conditions the initially warmer water will freeze first. If this occurs, we have seen the Mpemba effect. Of course, the initially warmer water will not freeze before the initially cooler water for all initial conditions. If the hot water starts at 99.9 C, and the cold water at 0.01 C, then clearly under those circumstances, the initially cooler water will freeze first. However, under some conditions the initially warmer water will freeze first -- if that happens, you have seen the Mpemba effect. But you will not see the Mpemba effect for just any initial temperatures, container shapes, or cooling conditions."

translation: Hot water may or may not freeze faster than cold water, but if on the off chance you see it happen, it's called the Mpemba effect. :/

Buford T Pusser
01-24-05, 03:48 PM
So I soaked it in hot water and now I've got all the paper out except for the part that's jammed. -ohbfrank-

Cusm
01-24-05, 03:50 PM
Pee on it.

talemyn
01-24-05, 03:52 PM
So I soaked it in hot water and now I've got all the paper out except for the part that's jammed. -ohbfrank-What about a big-toothed saw?

Buford T Pusser
01-24-05, 03:52 PM
I need to find something longer to poke in there. My tools ain't gettin' the job done.

talemyn
01-24-05, 03:56 PM
I need to find something longer to poke in there. My tools ain't gettin' the job done.
<talemyn refrains from the obvious comments about BTP's tool not being long enough to get the job done>

Cusm
01-24-05, 04:27 PM
Can you get a rake handle or a shovel handle in there?

Sloth911
01-24-05, 04:35 PM
translation: Hot water may or may not freeze faster than cold water, but if on the off chance you see it happen, it's called the Mpemba effect. :/

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-43,GGLD:en&q=does+hot+water+freeze+faster+than+cold%3F

OldDude
01-24-05, 06:06 PM
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-43,GGLD:en&q=does+hot+water+freeze+faster+than+cold%3F

OK, I read all that. "Counter-intuitive" doesn't begin to express how counter-intuitive I find this.

Now they are pretty clear if the hot water is 99.9 C and the cold water is 0.01 C, the cold water will win. But nobody talks about how big the effect is. At what temperature difference will the hot water win >50% of the time? I have a feeling this requires highly specialized starting conditions or the hot water doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

kvrdave
01-24-05, 06:09 PM
Actually, hot water freezes quicker than cold. Crystalization occures more rapidly when there is a larger temperature differential. I always used hot water to make ice cubes (back when people had to use trays) because of this.

To test this I took some hot water and placed it in the freezer. In 10 minutes it was cold, and so I placed another glass of hot water next to it. Which do you suppose froze first? -wink-

DJ_Spyder
01-24-05, 06:48 PM
I have a few ideas that may help how about a google search on snowblower safety 2. did you refer to the owners manual on how to remove obstructions safely? 3. if all else fails I would recommend that you call a small engine repair shop and ask for some advice on how to deal with your problem.

Buford T Pusser
01-24-05, 11:28 PM
Can you get a rake handle or a shovel handle in there?

To unjam the thing?

There's not much space between the impeller? and the wall of the snowblower. Probably 1/4 inch or so. So I need something long, strong and very thin at the tip.

gordoncanada
12-16-07, 01:33 PM
Is this all happening currently? I just jammed newspaper in my snowblower as well. it's really stuck between the inner impeller and the wall of the blower opening. Bufford Pusser said the water trick did not get the paper that was really stuck out.
Maybe I should wait until tomorro and call the small motor place.

thanks

Deftones
12-16-07, 01:37 PM
Amazing that someone would do a search for snowblower jammed by newspaper and find a two year old thread. :lol:

DarthVong
12-16-07, 01:53 PM
Is this all happening currently? I just jammed newspaper in my snowblower as well. it's really stuck between the inner impeller and the wall of the blower opening. Bufford Pusser said the water trick did not get the paper that was really stuck out.
Maybe I should wait until tomorro and call the small motor place.

thanks

Obviously, you need a long tool to get the job done.

Trout
12-16-07, 05:28 PM
Amazing that someone would do a search for snowblower jammed by newspaper and find a two year old thread. :lol:

I thought it was Bufford telling us that he finally got it unjammed...

kantonburg
12-16-07, 05:32 PM
Where is Buford anyway? He's been MIA.

alansh
12-21-08, 12:47 PM
Here's what you do:

1) Don't try to turn it back on and slam the thing so hard the paper comes out - it won't.
2) Turn it on if you have automatic drive but don't run the blades.
3) Bring it into the garage if you have one or some good area to work on it.
4) Make sure it is off and push the blower backwards so you can see blades and the jam inside the snow blower. Make sure no gas is leaking.
5) Clean out snow and pour hot water on it to soak newspaper and get a good shot at the jam.
6) Usually the inner part gets stuck - the part that blows the snow up and out - that's the pain in the ass of it. But I figured a way to deal with it.
7) Notice the space between the non-jammed part of the blade and the surrounding metal wall - about 3/8" or more usually.
8) Once the paper's soaked, get a cuts-all or saw-all whatever they call it and sneak that it in there so it's level between the blade and the wall; right where the paper is. You'll be able to cut through the paper like nothing - just don't cut into the metal -or your fingers - or the blade.
9) You won't be able to reach all the way back, you'll only get about 1/2 way down from the front of it. Make sure the paper is cut through thoroughly in that area.
10) Take a hammer and get it in there - snowblowers may be different but on mine I was able to move that inner blade back around now that there was less paper providing resistance. It should move relatively easily. Now, tap the inner blade to move it backwards. When the paper jam part moves all the way around to the open area where the snow blows out - you're done.

This is the way I figured to remove a very difficult jam in about 30 minutes - now I have a way - I estimate it should only take about 15 or so.

Be careful: The Consumer Products Safety Commission reports that with 1000 amputations and 5000 hospital emergency room treated injuries per year related to snowblower accidents; the snowblower ranks as the fourth leading cause of finger amputations each year.

Use this approach at your own risk. If you're holding your fourth of July flag next year with your thumb and pinky like some deformed lobster - don't blame me! Snowblowers aren't forgiving.

Dr Mabuse
12-21-08, 12:54 PM
Another surreal first post while bumping an old thread by a new member.

hal9000
12-22-08, 02:05 AM
Reading this thread reminded me of the fact that I forgot to mow my lawn today. Bummer I guess I'll have to mow it next weekend. [obv brag];P[/obv brag]

Duh Vuh Duh
12-22-08, 12:07 PM
Be careful: The Consumer Products Safety Commission reports that with 1000 amputations and 5000 hospital emergency room treated injuries per year related to snowblower accidents; the snowblower ranks as the fourth leading cause of finger amputations each year.

Use this approach at your own risk. If you're holding your fourth of July flag next year with your thumb and pinky like some deformed lobster - don't blame me! Snowblowers aren't forgiving.

Even NHL superstars. :(

Why couldn't Joe have read this thread? -ohbfrank-

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11190823

drmoze
12-23-08, 05:07 PM

Your general statement is not true. If you read (and understood)what you quoted, you would realize that warmer water *sometimes* freezes faster than cold water, under certain limited conditions. It is not because "crystallization occurs faster when there is a larger temperature differential." Thanks for playing.

hey don't be selfish, you should be thinking what is best FOR us..

Nice emphasis.

Buford T Pusser
01-04-09, 02:25 PM
Thanks alansh.

Hopefully it won't happen again as my new paper delivery person puts it on the porch.

blackhorse
12-09-09, 12:02 PM
This baby keeps going! Alansh saved my butt today. Had 4" of wet snow and then it started to rain. Went two feet and WHAM!; hit the newspaper.

What did it for me was the hot water and the sawzall.

Thanks a bunch!:rock:

OldDude
12-09-09, 12:57 PM
Amazing. The thread that never dies. Saving snowblowers since Jan. 2005. :lol:

eXcentris
12-09-09, 02:56 PM
Next up:

"How do I remove a newspaper delivery boy stuck in my snowblower?"

jjcool
12-09-09, 02:56 PM
Yet still no word on how Buford made out.

wendersfan
12-09-09, 03:33 PM
Amazing. The thread that never dies. Saving snowblowers since Jan. 2005. :lol:I'm wondering if I should just make this thread a sticky. :lol:

rabbit77
12-09-09, 04:25 PM
It's a powerful thread on google. It shows up first when you google

-newspaper stuck in snowblower
-newspaper snowblower
-snowblower jammed

hell, even "newspaper jammed" gives this thread as the 2nd result.

Numanoid
12-09-09, 04:46 PM
This baby keeps going! Alansh saved my butt today. Had 4" of wet snow and then it started to rain. Went two feet and WHAM!; hit the newspaper.

What did it for me was the hot water and the sawzall.

Thanks a bunch!:rock:Mods, can we get an IP check on alansh and blackhorse? ;)

emanon
12-09-09, 05:37 PM
I'm just sad that alansh never returned to share most wisdom with us. :(

whotony
12-09-09, 05:40 PM
3 first posts over 3 years and never posted again.
brilliant!

Also I thought it a good idea.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/560903-could-date-thread-started-under-thread-title.html

foxdvd
12-09-09, 09:51 PM
hell now I want to know if you ever got it unjammed...and how.

JasonF
12-09-09, 11:35 PM
Yet still no word on how Buford made out.

Judging by his post count of late, I'm assuming he lost some fingers.

jjcool
12-10-09, 03:23 PM
Judging by his post count of late, I'm assuming he lost some fingers.

That would be very unfortunate.

Buford T Pusser
12-16-09, 03:55 PM
Sorry I never provided closure.

I eventually got the paper out.

And last year another one got stuck. Damn paper carrier!

But it wasn't as bad a jam and only took a few minutes.

Glad the SEO is working on this thread.

SuperJim88
12-16-09, 04:41 PM
Snowblower
poles
jam
take it out

Nobody has yet to make a sexual comment after all these usages?

Buford T Pusser
12-16-09, 05:15 PM
Sexual comments just aren't appropriate in my threads.

Abob Teff
12-16-09, 11:14 PM

Prayer is always a good idea immediately before setting your snowblower on fire or shoving your hand into any power tools.

Abob Teff
12-16-09, 11:18 PM
I have a few ideas that may help how about a google search on snowblower safety 2. did you refer to the owners manual on how to remove obstructions safely? 3. if all else fails I would recommend that you call a small engine repair shop and ask for some advice on how to deal with your problem.

What the hell? When did "Skip Step 1" become an integral safety tip?

shoppingbear
12-16-09, 11:40 PM
<talemyn refrains from the obvious comments about BTP's tool not being long enough to get the job done>

rotfl

OK I missed this thread the first (few) times, otherwise I would have rotfl then. :D

Buford T Pusser
12-21-09, 11:09 AM
my tool is plenty long. Buford T's hardwood gets the job done.

photo evidence:

http://www.sitemason.com/files/aVlU64/walkingtall.jpg

pyro383
12-21-09, 12:41 PM
I was helping snowblow someones driveway yesterday and all of a sudden their weekly flyer shot out from underneath the blower and this thread was the 1st thing I thought of. I was prepared for the blizzard and when I had gotten home the night before I made sure to remove mine before the snow fell.

DVD Josh
12-21-09, 02:37 PM
They delivered the Sunday paper in my neighborhood and I have no idea how. 20 inches of snow and practically no removal in our neighborhood save for a very poorly done single lane.

Akatsuki
01-27-11, 02:07 PM
It just happened to me today i ran the paper over with a snowblower, and i have still not figured it out, going to try to soapy water, fire did nothing it was far to compacted. So yeah don't wanna beat it out after hearing the horror stories about built up energy.

wish me luck will repost soonish.

rabbit77
01-27-11, 02:15 PM
dvdtalk, saving lives from snowblowers one google search at a time. :up:

sauce07
01-27-11, 02:48 PM
The flathead screwdriver always worked best for me, but it will be a massive pain in the ass.

Abob Teff
01-28-11, 11:41 PM
It just happened to me today ... don't wanna beat it out after hearing the horror stories about built up energy.

The flathead ... will be a massive pain in the ass.

It took over two years, but here's the requested sexual innuendo.

Buford T Pusser
01-11-12, 01:18 PM
Anyone still around that remembers me or I would remember?

So during the last big snow of 2011 I got yet another newspaper stuck in the snowblower.

I forgot about it all summer but remembered a few weeks back. Now that it's cold out I need to get it out.

So I did a search on Google to see if there were any new miracle cures for this. What do I find at the top but my thread which I'd forgotten about. DOH.

I'm on the way out in a few minutes to try and "git'rdone"! Anyone gonna wish me luck or tell me some better ways to get that paper out?

The Infidel
01-11-12, 01:24 PM
It just happened to me today i ran the paper over with a snowblower, and i have still not figured it out, going to try to soapy water, fire did nothing it was far to compacted. So yeah don't wanna beat it out after hearing the horror stories about built up energy.

There are those here that will refuse to assist you simply because you used the word "soonish".

DirkUSA
01-11-12, 01:34 PM
Pour water on the paper until it disintegrates!

Bandoman
01-11-12, 01:38 PM
Light it on fire!

Bandoman
01-11-12, 01:38 PM
And welcome back, BTP!

Minor Threat
01-11-12, 01:50 PM
light it on fire!

this!!!!!

whotony
01-11-12, 01:58 PM
Anyone still around that remembers me or I would remember?

it's only been a year. Not there was an apocalypse or anything.
Also, what's that number your zip code?

Buford T Pusser
01-11-12, 02:17 PM
it's only been a year. Not there was an apocalypse or anything.
Also, what's that number your zip code?

A year? I thought it was just over two years since I posted. :confused:

There are many smart people here that could figure that number out.

TomOpus
01-11-12, 02:19 PM
Yeah, been 2 years!

:Poke:

whotony
01-11-12, 02:50 PM
Oh right this is '12 now. Time flies.

Buford T Pusser
01-11-12, 03:29 PM
Decided to burn it a bit first, then douse with water and saw it up.

Yep-it's stuck:

http://s15.postimage.org/ducu6luiz/snowa.jpg

Burn baby burn. This is no disco inferno:

http://s15.postimage.org/3o48nma4r/snowb.jpg

After I sawed a bit and poked it a bit more with the non-business end of an old rake it popped right out:

http://s16.postimage.org/g1q9m0el1/snowc.jpg

Whaddya know. It's been 10 months since that paper got stuck. Hopefully I won't have to use the snow blower more than for the next two months:

http://s18.postimage.org/x4gmyf5yh/snowd.jpg

stubbbone
01-21-12, 07:46 AM
Where is Buford anyway? He's been MIA.This method works, saws-all took five minutes and it was cleared on my 8 hp craftsman 2 staqe. thanks.

stubbbone
01-21-12, 07:51 AM
No need to burn, use a saws-all as mentioned before, I did not use any water and mine was stuck pretty good, 2x4 would not move it. first unplug the spark plug and pull shut off pin. Remove as much as you can with the claw part of a hammer, then use the saws-all to get through the rest of the way, in 5 minutes it was up and running again. Mine was doubled over when it jammed.

Buford T Pusser
01-21-12, 02:26 PM
Thanks for your input Stubby Bone!

Despite many others things I'm working on I thought I'd go out and snow blow today. But it's gonna be 40 and sunny Sunday so does it sound like a good idea to just shovel the crucial spots and let the rest melt? Thanks in advance for all the support on this idea.

crazyronin
01-21-12, 03:15 PM

dvdtalk, saving lives from snowblowers one google search at a time. :up:

1 post. DVDTalk: Killing new posters one google search at a time. -eek-

kd5
01-21-12, 04:43 PM
Seems to me the best way to avoid this is to go out there and pick up the newspaper when it's delivered, although I suppose a flash snow storm could cover it up in 15 minutes or less so I guess there could be instances when it might not be avoided.

My next door neighbor, probably 40-ish, is apparently unable to walk 50 feet to the end of his driveway to pick up a weekly community newspaper wrapped in an orange plastic bag (there were 2 of them sitting there for almost a week). There are 3 people living there and none of them seem capable enough to go out there and pick it up. I've watched the guy's girlfriend wheel the trash can out to the end of their driveway, the paper is not 3 feet away from her, oblivious to its existence she'll just turn around and walk back to the garage. I'm just waiting for him to get one of those caught up in his snowblower so I can sit here and LMAO about it...:lol: -kd5-

Buford T Pusser
01-23-12, 12:39 AM
I see those papers waiting to claim snowblowers all the time. I would get mine but when they deliver at 5 AM I am not up and by the time I wake they are sometimes covered.

I did notice stubbone has two posts-both in this thread. He must have gotten here via the Google search.

Ropes Pierre
01-23-12, 10:53 AM
did you get it out yet

that's what she said.

targetprinting
02-22-14, 12:32 PM
Well after 40 years of snowblower operation and sooo many cusin and kickin moments outside
when the sound of a of a screeching belt wrapup of the weekly ( daily) rag inside my prescious impeller and tines ----

now too many horror stories of reaching in side the impeller reminds me of my girlfriend Barb warning me of again why I should not reach towards the slleping tiger at Big cat rescue in Tampa

still do I ?

well found the solution and it works ever time ! But it requires a bit of realistic Pessimism - in that you need to accept the fact its going to happen and be ready !
first TURN OFf ENGINE- if you really good and carful pull off plug cap wire too - helps if you find this before you get in the jam

keep available a iron or steel crow bar 3 - 4 ft long - must have claw hook at end -

use the straight end of the bar to reverse rotate the impeller (new machines have cupping on lead facing impeller rotation ) using the tines rotation pivot shaft as fulcrum , make a 1 - 3 inch backwards rotation of the impeller -

notice that the paper releases and use the claw end to pull out the shredded demon and say my favorite words _ gotcha you ?*#k - plug cap back on and off you go - blowin off again into thr blizzard ( oh yes -dont forget to put the bar where it is still handy - these dam rags travel in groups too
go luck and remember spring is around the corner

tony f nj

Nick Danger
02-22-14, 07:25 PM
Poor Buford. He created an immortal thread, but it was about getting a newspaper out of his snowblower.

Draven
02-22-14, 11:54 PM
So I just got a newspaper stuck in my snowblower. Without even knowing about this thread, I tried a screwdriver, a drill to shred it and a blowtorch.

No good. Someone at work asked if I had tried taking the blade off. There are three bolts on each side that hold the assembly. I took the bolts off and managed to move the blade enough to get the paper out. This was after a good half an hour of trying everything else.

Abob Teff
02-23-14, 12:19 AM

Does anybody else find it funny that a guy named "target printing" managed to run over the newspaper with his snowblower?

Buford T Pusser
02-24-14, 10:54 PM
I had another one stuck a few weeks back. Used a little saw and it came out pretty easily.

Thirty minutes later I ran into another one. Luckily it just cut up the paper a bit but didn't get stuck.

Buford T Pusser
02-24-14, 10:55 PM
Anyone ever have flat tires on their snowblower? The one airs up and the other does not. Of course the one that is propelled is the flat one. A real bitch to push.

DirkUSA
02-25-14, 07:47 AM
Anyone ever have flat tires on their snowblower? The one airs up and the other does not. Of course the one that is propelled is the flat one. A real bitch to push.

You should have bought the AWD deluxe model!

Buford T Pusser
02-25-14, 11:21 AM
You should have bought the AWD deluxe model!

Shoulda
Coulda
Woulda
Didn't