Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there more than one version of "Bowling for Columbine"?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-05, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard there is more than one version of this title. Is that true?

I did a search on bargainflix.com and it only came back with one version.
Old 01-22-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
only one as far as I know.
Old 01-22-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, there are two. A 2 disc and a 1 disc. Get the 2 disc as it is no longer in print. MGM has done this previously with Valley Girl. Valley Girl SE had all the xtras and what-not, the version you find now is barebones.
Old 01-22-05, 12:30 AM

So how can I tell them apart? Is the box art different? Like MGM usually calls their 2-disc ones "Special Editions" and the regular one doesn't say anything. Is that the case with this one? Also any idea where I can find a 2disc?
Old 01-22-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually 3 releases a duel disc with extras, a single double sided disc with extras (rental market previously viewed beware), single disc w movie and less extras

all share the same upc

2 disc and double sider say Special Edition across the top...heavier

search is still your friend

Bowling for Columbine..are there 2 versions of it?

Bowling For Columbine - Flipper or 2-Disc?
Old 01-22-05, 01:50 AM

The 2 disc SE has a black border around the edges, while the single disc version does not, if I am thinking straight tonight.

In the future, check out www.dvdcompare.net when you have questions of this nature; that site lists the features/differences between all releases across all regions and is quite helpful.
Old 01-22-05, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I posted in another thread, the S.E. is in-stock and available for $7.99 here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....4&type=product

It is also available for $9.12 at D.D.D., but their list of extras makes me wonder whether or not it is in-fact the S.E. version.

Another way to tell the versions apart is that the S.E. was released in 2003, and the single-disc was released in 2004, as far as I know.
Old 01-22-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
As I posted in another thread, the S.E. is in-stock and available for $7.99 here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....4&type=product

It is also available for $9.12 at D.D.D., but their list of extras makes me wonder whether or not it is in-fact the S.E. version.

Another way to tell the versions apart is that the S.E. was released in 2003, and the single-disc was released in 2004, as far as I know.
if you order from an online site, you still may get the non-SE version cuz they share the same UPC code.

The only way to make sure that you get the SE is to buy it in-store in person.
Old 01-22-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
if you order from an online site, you still may get the non-SE version cuz they share the same UPC code.

The only way to make sure that you get the SE is to buy it in-store in person.
You may be right, but Best Buy clearly lists all the extras that are only available on the S.E., so I would certainly expect to receive the S.E. in that case.
Old 01-22-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You may be right, but Best Buy clearly lists all the extras that are only available on the S.E., so I would certainly expect to receive the S.E. in that case.
don't be suprised if you get the non-SE version.
Old 01-22-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
No, you shouldn't.

When MGM strips their SEs down... like Valley Girl, Jeepers Creepers, and a few other titles... they don't change the UPC code, so as far as the store's inventory tracking is concerned, the SE and non-SE are the exact same product.

If you order one of the MGM SEs of a title that has been stripped, you'll get whatever the person pulling your order grabs. It might be the full SE if they still have some in stock, or it might be the stripped version.

For titles like these, if you want the SE version, it's best to pick it up in a brick and morter store.
Old 01-22-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If anyone wants to know there is also a 2 disc Jeeppers Creepers by MGM.

The 2 disc versions are OOP!

If you order it online they will send you the barebones edition so I suggest you get it in person.
Old 01-22-05, 03:35 PM
MGR

[QUOTE=Josh-da-man]When MGM strips their SEs down... like Valley Girl, Jeepers Creepers, and a few other titles... they don't change the UPC code, so as far as the store's inventory tracking is concerned, the SE and non-SE are the exact same product. QUOTE]

I'm new to DVD's and I didn't realize that some of these companies did this. I’m confused. Why on earth would they strip off extra features after all the time and cost of creating and assembling those features.
The manufacturing cost difference of the DVD can’t be that much, can it? Or is it something else.
Old 01-22-05, 03:48 PM

God I hope not, wish there wasn't one of it.
I dont know much about the film but I saw it on HBO at a hotel. Has to go in to my top 5 worst list.
Old 01-22-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
don't be suprised if you get the non-SE version.
My Best Buy had atleast 10 copies of the 2 disc.
Old 01-22-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE=MGR]
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
When MGM strips their SEs down... like Valley Girl, Jeepers Creepers, and a few other titles... they don't change the UPC code, so as far as the store's inventory tracking is concerned, the SE and non-SE are the exact same product. QUOTE]

I'm new to DVD's and I didn't realize that some of these companies did this. I’m confused. Why on earth would they strip off extra features after all the time and cost of creating and assembling those features.
The manufacturing cost difference of the DVD can’t be that much, can it? Or is it something else.
The reason that they do this is to cut costs. When they have a 2-disc set, they cut costs by not producing the second disc with the bonus features. MGM does this all the time when a title drops to $14.95 MSRP.

Columbia Tri-Star does something similar. When their older titles that were produced as flippers (WS on one side, FS on the other) drop to $9.99 MSRP (i.e. they are Bargain Bin titles that can be found for $5.99 or less at many stores), they will get rid of the WS side and print some type of disc art instead. This practice wouldn't be so bad if they got rid of the FS side, but apparently Joe 6-Pick outnumbers movie afficionados so the FS version wins.

In both cases, the company keeps the same UPC code.
Old 01-22-05, 09:43 PM

If you can't find the 2-disc, you might want to look at this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

26.00 for Bowling 2-disc, The Big One, and a bonus disc. I may buy that, because all I can find is the 1-disc non-SE.
Old 01-24-05, 03:50 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I bought Bowling about eight months ago, and got the 2-disc. I've never heard of either of the other versions, before.
Old 01-24-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best Buy's site is wrong on alot of lists. Many of their movies claim to be enhanced for 16x9 tvs and are not.

Do not trust their site listings.
Old 01-24-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 0rac
Blah, blah, obvious and expected Michael Moore thread crap.
Did anyone ask your opinion of the film? Does anyone care? No? Then maybe you should read this thread.
Old 01-24-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you order from Best Buy and do not get the SE, wouldn't you have grounds to return it as the description clearly doesn't match the DVD?
Hell, you'd probably get a $5 coupon in addition to a refund

Worth trying, IMHO
Old 01-24-05, 08:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by 0rac
God I hope not, wish there wasn't one of it.
I dont know much about the film but I saw it on HBO at a hotel. Has to go in to my top 5 worst list.
0rac, threadcrapping is against forum rules. If you aren't interested in the film being discussed, then just don't post.
Old 01-24-05, 09:06 PM

Cool... walked in to BB today and searched and luckly found 3 copies of the 2disc behind a stack of 1discs.

(don't worry I only bought 1 copy... Milpitas, Ca BB has 2 more copies behind the 1disc ones in the special interest section... you're welcome)