Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Why the shortage of XBOX consoles in stores?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a few hundred dollars credit at Gamestop and I'm craving to play Mercenaries and Halo 2. Every frigging store I've been to doesn't have any available. Even BB, CC and WalMarcht have none in stock.

WTF is with the shortage??
Old 01-21-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PS2's are out of stock too. Both of them were snatched up and out of stock in many places weeks before Christmas, and still haven't been restocked(at least not in my area).
Old 01-22-05, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Yeah i've been wanting to use my store credit at Blockbuster to get an XBOX but everytime I go into a BB store not only are they out but all the BB stores in the area are out and they say that other non-BB stores in the area are out too. They say that they get one or two in and they get snapped up the same day.
Old 01-22-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I saw a sign at the local Wal-Mart that let customers know there was a shortage and no more were yet available. Kind of weird.
Old 01-22-05, 10:24 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X-mas shortage is probably being prolonged by people buying X-box's, PS2s and DSs with their x-mas money and gift cards. Probably calm down in a month or so.
Old 01-22-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
You just need to call your Gamestops every single day, probably fairly early, to see if they got any in or when their next shipment might be. If you keep pestering them, eventually you might get lucky.
Old 01-23-05, 02:05 PM

Yea , when you get around 100+ people asking everyday and the stores only get 20-40 in a shipment that covers them for over a week, you are not going to get one on a walkin very easy.

I reccimend ordering online or calling everyday to your local stores and hope to get one.
Old 01-23-05, 02:59 PM

I was at Sam's yesterday where I am and they had plenty. Try them if you have one locally.
Old 01-23-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BeanDip Says "My XBox is my friend"

Originally Posted by darkflounder
I've got a few hundred dollars credit at Gamestop and I'm craving to play Mercenaries and Halo 2. Every frigging store I've been to doesn't have any available. Even BB, CC and WalMarcht have none in stock.

Microsoft wansn't thinking that the demand was going to be so high for the XBox. They were thinking there would be more demand for HALO2. A lot of people that had Halo for the PC but never had an XBox before went out and picked both of them up, there go the shortage on the boxes. I know that I thought I would never again own a console system, I had Halo for the PC and thought it was one of the best games ever and then I saw Halo 2 preview at E3 and it was going to be XBox only, so I got an XBox. Anyway sorry to hear you can't get one you might try PCMall.com they usually have everything for computers and they always had XBoxes.

Old 01-24-05, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkflounder

Picked up a new Xbox on Friday night (damn DDE on the Thompson drive), and I had to drive to 4 different locals to finally find one. Got it at Wal-Mart and the cashier told me that they get around 4-5 in each time they get a shipment and they usually sell out of them within a couple of hours of putting them out. Just keep calling around and hope to get lucky.
Old 01-24-05, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i was just going to post a thread asking where i can get an xbox right now.. i'll have to check my local sam's on the way home today..
Old 01-24-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I had like $300 credit at GameRush. I just was persistant though....I finallly got an XBOX after looking for like 3 or 4 weeks (my 2nd XBOX though, my fiance wanted one for upstairs when I'm playing) Anyways, check on the release date....find out when they get new shipments. Call ahead.
Old 01-24-05, 08:52 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow...I am glad that I bought XBOX at the end of November. I couldn't bear not being able to get one. You wouldn't think there would be anymore shortages one month after XMAS.

wlj
Old 01-24-05, 09:38 AM

my guess is that MS slashed production sometime in early 2004 and underestimated subsequent demand. I know stores in the Detroit area were running out from time to time as early as spring. The holiday season finally brought the problem into the open. PS2 shortages have been more or less explained by a hardware refresh and an international shipping incident but there has been no such candor from MS.

My feeling is that they are still getting hosed by their deal with Nvidia on every unit produced (ironically, getting a new Xbox because your disc drive failed probably hurts MS almost as much as it hurts you) and are looking to sweep the XBOX1 era under the rug as soon as they can get xbox2 out the door.
Old 01-24-05, 09:42 AM

I know the feeling. I got a some Best Buy gift cards for xmas and I checked w/ like 5 different stores for an XBOX or PS2, no luck.
Old 01-25-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

score! sam's club had plenty when i went yesterday.
Old 02-02-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is driving me crazy! my local EB hasn't had xboxs in stock for two weeks. I need a second xbox for my bedroom
Old 02-02-05, 02:25 PM
fab

Yeah I wanted to pick up a second XBOX to fiddle with and couldn't find one anywhere. I called everywhere in town and no one had them. I happened to be in K-Mart later that day and found they had one left but they were holding it for someone until 3:00p that day (it was currently 2:30p). I asked if I could buy it if the person didn't show up at 3:00p. The cashier called over a manager who said definitely! I ate some Little Caesar's Pizza and browsed the store until 3:00p. The cashier told me that the person had called and said they were running behind (driving from about 60 miles away) and requested they hold it longer but they told them no because I wanted to buy it. Because of other customers in front of me I didn't actually buy it until around 3:15p but as I was signing the credit card slip the person called again and as I was walking away I heard the cashier telling that poor soul they were sorry, they're not layaway, etc.

I didn't feel too bad about it.

That was about 1 week ago. Since then I've seen XBOX at a few other stores so they seem to be trickling back in stock.

--
fab
Old 02-02-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow...maybe I should put my Xbox up on Ebay.... Rare OOP!
Old 02-02-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw a few ps2s and xboxes and Target in Burbank, Ca.
Old 02-02-05, 08:11 PM

Think they are trickling back into inventory, even starting to see the DS's back in stock
Old 02-02-05, 08:58 PM

I sold my Xbox last week on ebay. Couldn't believe I sold it for $120
Old 02-04-05, 02:08 AM

Finally got my XBox today. As luck would have it, I was down in Lancaster, CA and stopped at the GameStop. Manager said that a new GAmestop was opening today (only a few blocks away) and they had Refurb XBoxes in stock for $99. I didn't really want a used/refurb, but it came with a 90 day warranty (figure if it'll break, it'll be in the first few months).

So, got the XBox (finally!), along with Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden and Balder's Gate 2 (for the roomie) along with a second controller for just over $200 (or $8 after the store credit).
Old 02-04-05, 02:24 PM
Wag

About 2 weeks ago I was in the same boat, looking for an Xbox. Same story as most on here. Had a Best Buy GC from Christmas so naturally I went there first. Nothing, preceded to hit 3 Targets, 2 EBs, and 2 Gamestops over the next few days before I gave up. Ordered it online and got it two days later.
Old 02-04-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
What's the hold-up? These systems have been out for 4+ years! What have you been waiting on?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.