Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

FCC Chief Michael Powell Quits

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FCC Chief Michael Powell Quits

I had no idea he was Colin Powell's son.

Just posted on MSNBC:

NEW YORK - Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell will step down from his post Friday, CNBC confirmed.

The 41-year-old Republican is expected to officially announce his resignation later Friday. He led the regulatory agency for four years.

Early Friday, The Wall Street Journal reported The FCC top man — son of outgoing Secretary of State Colin Powell — would step down. The editorial cited no reason, nor did it name a source for the information.

Appointed chairman by President George W. Bush in 2001, Powell suffered several defeats, including a failed effort to relax regulations restricting television and radio ownership and a revolt by fellow Republican Commissioner Kevin Martin who voted against his plan to ease local telephone network sharing rules.

Among bright spots, he shepherded through a plan to eliminate interference with public safety wireless communications, advanced the transition to higher-quality digital television and promoted high-speed Internet service.

Lately, the FCC under Powell was perhaps best known for cracking down on indecent antics on television and radio, sparked by pop singer Janet Jackson exposing her bare breast during the Super Bowl football game last year.

The FCC chairman has received praise from most companies for his deregulatory approach. However, consumer groups have criticized him for attempting to allow media conglomerates to grow bigger and reducing competition among wireless providers.

Powell, son of retiring Secretary of State Colin Powell, had planned on following his father’s military career, entering the U.S. Army. But, a jeep accident in Germany in 1987 almost killed him, requiring 18 units of blood during extensive surgery in which doctors almost left him for dead.

After a long rehabilitation, he went to law school, clerked for a federal judge, became chief of staff at the Justice Department’s antitrust division, and was appointed in 1997 as an FCC commissioner by then-President Bill Clinton.
Old 01-21-05, 09:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 01-21-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I concur.
Old 01-21-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
This made my day. Although, I would have rather seen him resign in disgrace after the press discovered a hooker in his room while watching Nip/tuck.

Unfortunately, I don't see things changing much under new leadership.
Old 01-21-05, 09:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
I concur.
That word of the day calendar is already paying for itself!
Old 01-21-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think anything is going to change. Michael Powell was just the head of the commitee. It's not like he had a lot of opposition in the fcc about the after effects of the janet jackson incident. I fear we'll get someone worse, although I don't know how they could censor anything worse then they already have. I guess the next logical step is that you won't be able to say pregnant on tv and couples will have to sleep in seperate beds.
Old 01-21-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nothing is going to change people.... he doesnt make the ultimate decision.... a panel does....

this does nothing
Old 01-21-05, 10:01 AM

Powell realized Howard Stern was going to satellite radio, and once that would happen, he would no longer have the joy of throwing around excessive fines...
Old 01-21-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
That word of the day calendar is already paying for itself!
Yep.
Old 01-21-05, 10:24 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
nothing is going to change people.... he doesnt make the ultimate decision.... a panel does....

this does nothing
Agreed. I don't see this changing anything.
Old 01-21-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706

this does nothing
In addition, with the current state of the administration, we'll probably get someone twice as worse....

Rev. Phelps anyone? Maybe Jerry Falwell?
Old 01-21-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ashcroft needs a job.
Old 01-21-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Ashcroft needs a job.
I thought he got hired as a songwriter for Celine Dion.
Old 01-21-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
In addition, with the current state of the administration, we'll probably get someone twice as worse....

Rev. Phelps anyone? Maybe Jerry Falwell?
or possibly capalert?
Old 01-21-05, 12:53 PM
Banned

I'm sure AT&T, MCI, and Sprint employees are exuberant right now.
Old 01-21-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
When I first saw Michael Powell in an interview, on the Screensavers (how I miss that show), he seemed like a decent enough guy.

I was listening to a radio interview with Penn (of Penn and Teller) this morning when the news broke and he stated that he thought Powell had stood up for a lot of free speech before being appointed head of the FCC, and that Powell had at one point mentioned that the Supreme Court should be the ones to step in and stop them (the FCC). It didn't seem like Penn was joking either...

In any case, I don't see Powell as being the driving force behind all the complaints people have against the FCC, but more of the pubic spokesman, and I doubt much will change.
Old 01-21-05, 01:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The Inquisition (what a show)
The Inquistion (here we go)
We know you're wishin' that we'd go away.
But the Inquisition's here and it's here to stay!
Don't let the screen door hit ya on the way out Mikey.
Old 01-21-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Michael Powell wanna know where the boobs at
Old 01-21-05, 02:06 PM

I'm in favor of this, though I don't think it will cause any noticable change for a while.
Old 01-22-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
When I first saw Michael Powell in an interview, on the Screensavers (how I miss that show), he seemed like a decent enough guy.

I was listening to a radio interview with Penn (of Penn and Teller) this morning when the news broke and he stated that he thought Powell had stood up for a lot of free speech before being appointed head of the FCC, and that Powell had at one point mentioned that the Supreme Court should be the ones to step in and stop them (the FCC). It didn't seem like Penn was joking either...

In any case, I don't see Powell as being the driving force behind all the complaints people have against the FCC, but more of the pubic spokesman, and I doubt much will change.
Same here, I saw him on Charlie Rose quite a few years ago (before the 2000 election) and he didn't seem to be spouting the kind of rhetoric that would lead to the kind of restrictive atmosphere thats gripping the media landscape today.

He's only one man, but he must have had some kind of authority to appoint like minded officials to his organization....unless it was not his choice.
Old 01-22-05, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Powell was put in during Clinton's administration. He was there pre-Bush so the "when in Rome" thing makes some sense.
Old 01-22-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This changes nothing. Powell hasn't been the driving force behind the FCC fines, his largest 'contribution' to the FCC has been in the field of de-regulation, not decency.
Old 01-22-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Yeah, but he'll probably be replaced by Brent Bozell or Michael Medved.