Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Have you played Mercenaries??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 07:08 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you played Mercenaries??

This game is a blast to play. It's kind of like GTA and Ghost recon mixed together. The setting is in Korea where you're a bounty hunter working with four different fractions to capture 52 most wanted North Korean enemies (Tracked by the 52 deck of cards system). The entire country is completly free roam so if you're not on a mission then you can just run around and cause total havoc. You can hijack any type of vehicle from passenger cars, fuel trucks and tanks to helicopters (No airplanes though).

Yesterday I was messing around in between missions. I set seven C4 charges on a street and waited until there were a bunch of cars and civilians near the charges and detonated them.... Cars flipping all over the place w/ people flying through the air and I even leveled several buildings nearby, but I died from a piece of debris that hit me in the head during the explosion.

Another time I set a couple C4 charges on a jeep and drove it to the Chinese HQ. Got up to full speed and bailed out. Once the jeep rolled right to the front of the HQ I detonated the C4! Chinese soliders flying all over the place...

And another time I hijacked a helicoptor and flew around the city shooting at random people on the ground. I released the winch to pick up a car that was driving through the city, went full speed toward a building and quickly stopped before it. The winch swung forward with the car attached, I released the winch and the car went flying into the building leveling it!

I highly recommend either purchasing (CC $39.99 this week) or giving it a rental. Very addicting.
Old 01-21-05, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the game is pretty sweet. The missions are not terribly hard....I've only completed the first round of cards though...the CLUBS.

I haven't had too much time to really cause a LOT of havoc....but it's a LOT of fun
Old 01-21-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Sounds like a blast. As well as a nice change of pace from the mob/ghetto thing GTA has going on.

From the sounds of DJs post it is pretty easy. Your experience westgd? I might wait til it drops a bit in price. Nothing like dropping 50 bones on a game and beating it in two weeks.

Have to add the tv commercials are hilarious.
Old 01-21-05, 07:54 AM
Cool New Member

Yeah, I've found it on the easier side but like DJ, I've only completed a couple of missions. I really enjoy taking different approaches on capturing each target. You can go in stealth or guns blazing. You can capture a card either by restraining him and extraction by helo or just killing them (But you only get half the bounty when you do it). That's where the hard part comes in.

It can get frustrating when you're going after a card and random debris from explosions that come out of nowhere kill you (Like helicopters getting shot down and landing on you).
Old 01-21-05, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Yeah, the game is pretty sweet. The missions are not terribly hard....I've only completed the first round of cards though...the CLUBS.

The first suit is easy. I generally didn't have a problem and that included capturing (instead of killing) all of the "cards". I'm now on diamonds (the next suit) and it is MUCH harder. especially capturing, instead of killing. I have had a blast with it and definitely recommend it.

One thing that helped me (and would have earlier, if I actually read the instructions) is that you can exit vehicles using L1 instead of triangle and the other guys stay in which means that you can keep a guy in the turret laying down cover for you.

As mentioned above, it's a blast to play the missions and it's great to just mess around with (although the missions give you money which allows to buy more toys to mess around with).

Lastly, ps2.ign.com mentioned that there is an unlockable character if you find all the national treasures. I won't mention who in case someone considers it a spoiler.
Old 01-21-05, 11:55 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

After I read all those reviews on Gamerankings, I'm going to have to pick it up at CC on Saturday. Thanks for tipping me off.
Old 01-21-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, there are TWO unlockable characters from what I saw.....let's just say LUCASARTS has its name attached to this game. I guess there are codes for it too.

I think I may have to start on my diamonds missions tonight
Old 01-21-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

1 unlockable character per console, so you can't get both, for those curious w/o buying the game:

PS2
Spoiler:
Indiana Jones

XBOX
Spoiler:
Han Solo
Old 01-21-05, 03:17 PM

Actually you can get both for each platform, they just haven't said exactly what you have to do to earn both characters.
Old 01-21-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You're right, I read the article wrong.
Old 01-21-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
read a lot of good reviews of this game, and by people I know that have it. just bought it today for Xbox at Circuit City. probably won't get to it until later on this month.
Old 01-22-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Where have I seen this before

3 posts up
Old 01-22-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^to be fair that thread was just bumped. The OP didn't do a search.
Old 01-30-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
ok - I read the other thread and decided they're about the same and that maybe this one's a little better. No reason why, it just is.

Anyway -I got it today and blowing stuff up is fun.