DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

And now the screaming starts (1973)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 06:34 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And now the screaming starts (1973)

Hi,

i got the VIPCOŽs vaults of horror version of the film "and now the screaming starts" with Peter Cushing, Stephanie Beacham (by R.W. Baker). It says 84min and UNCUT DVD!. Now by googlŽing found several other versions telling 87min and also 91minutes.

AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS is a lesser-known Hammer title, and is generally considered a lesser effort from the studio, which isn’t entirely fair. The plot is very familiar: a young bride, her husband’s castle, a family curse, but things take a twist when she is raped by a ghost on her wedding night. The film is nicely directed by Roy Ward Baker and boasts an outstanding cast of the era including Peter Cushing, Herbert Lom, Patrick Magee, Ian Ogilvy, Guy Rolfe and Stephanie Beacham. There were a couple of scenes cut from the U.S. theatrical release in 1973 and this video re-release restores them.
Why where they cut? Does it contain to much gore scenes or just story filling scenes? What are these scenes about?

greetings
Mario
Old 01-20-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It isn't a Hammer film, it was from Amicus.

Not sure about the cuts; I've got both the U.S. DVD and the U.K. disc (as part of the Amicus set) but I haven't compared them.
Old 01-20-05, 10:48 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
It isn't a Hammer film, it was from Amicus.

Not sure about the cuts; I've got both the U.S. DVD and the U.K. disc (as part of the Amicus set) but I haven't compared them.
Hi Steve,

would do me a great favour and take a look in it? I couldnŽt find any real useful i-net hints on differences.

thanks
Mario
Old 01-20-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
How were you able to get this DVD? I've been looking all over for this title after I caught part of the movie on AMC during their Monsterfest week for Halloween that they do every year. The only place I found this DVD was on ebay but it had a $80-90 price tag for it and I sure wasn't willing to pay that. How did you get it?
Old 01-20-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Steve is correct, it is an Amicus title.
The Image release has a terrific commentary from Ian Ogilvy and film historian Darren Gross, for what it's worth.

Here's my review of the Image version, if you're bored...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 01-20-05 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-20-05, 04:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Great flick
Old 01-20-05, 04:13 PM
Cool New Member

Hi guyŽs,

well i do know thats a great film! but i still donŽt know why these scenes are cut and if they contain gore or story lines.

I have seen another TV version before i brought it, containing an Andre Gide
literature poem:
"Its better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what ou are not"
Does this one come with the longer edition? Sadly, its not on my DVD.

Please donŽt leave me alone with my lack of knowledge.....thank you.

greets
Mario
Old 01-20-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the U.S. DVD when it was released, long before it went OOP. The U.K. DVD is currently readily available.
Old 01-23-05, 12:49 PM
Cool New Member

Hi guyŽs,

i still donŽt know why these scenes are cut and if they contain gore or story lines. Somebody got some insight?

greets
Mario
Old 01-23-05, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mario83721
Hi guyŽs,

i still donŽt know why these scenes are cut and if they contain gore or story lines. Somebody got some insight?

greets
Mario

I believe all the UK versions are uncut. The Image DVD (which was pulled shortly after its release because Image found out that they didn't actually have the rights to the film!) is also uncut. Variations in running time may be due to NTSC - PAL differences.

The notorious CUT version was a TV print that came out on VHS via Prism Entertainment Video and circulated on US video throughout the 80's. It was missing a couple of shots of gore (eyeless corpse, etc.) cut for tv broadcast, but I don't think anything else was missing as far as plot or character stuff.

The Image disc is uncut with an excellent transfer and a good commentary track - definitely worth getting if you can track one down. They go for around $80 -$100 at the moment.
Old 01-23-05, 07:12 PM

$80-$100 is too much for me. I'll just have to wait and see if this one ever comes out regularly priced sometime in the future. I hope it will at sometime, if not i'll just have to miss out on this one.
Old 01-23-05, 09:36 PM

I heard that MPI Home Video has the rights to AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS and will be re-releasing it on DVD.
Old 01-25-05, 09:09 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by man*machine
I believe all the UK versions are uncut. The Image DVD (which was pulled shortly after its release because Image found out that they didn't actually have the rights to the film!) is also uncut. Variations in running time may be due to NTSC - PAL differences.

The notorious CUT version was a TV print that came out on VHS via Prism Entertainment Video and circulated on US video throughout the 80's. It was missing a couple of shots of gore (eyeless corpse, etc.) cut for tv broadcast, but I don't think anything else was missing as far as plot or character stuff.

Hi man*mchine,

that with differencies in NTSC-PAL could be a reason to it, yeah right. In my version there seems to be no gore scene missing though. Eyeless corpse are in it either when this woods man vision appears and also the cut off hand which nukkles arround. What i am not sure is, weither the cut-off-hand scene was ever shown completely? Do you know? Neither from the picture or from the sound i could here a cutting break....also the scene in the wood whith this guy who was killed by the axe wasnŽt shown completely. If these scenes are shown in any of the other versions completely, i sure will have buy the uncut DVD just therefore.

Greetings
Mario
Old 01-25-05, 11:16 AM

It sounds like you have the uncut version. You never saw the guy in the woods get killed with the axe - you just see the aftermath (wound on face). The cutting off hand scene just shows the hand hitting the ground after being chopped off. This film was never all that gory, even with its R rating. I think the rape scene is probably what pushed it from a PG into an R. The Image disc runs 91 minutes.
Old 01-25-05, 08:09 PM
Cool New Member

It sounds like you have the uncut version. You never saw the guy in the woods get killed with the axe - you just see the aftermath (wound on face). The cutting off hand scene just shows the hand hitting the ground after being chopped off. This film was never all that gory, even with its R rating. I think the rape scene is probably what pushed it from a PG into an R. The Image disc runs 91 minutes.
Hi man*machine,

i looked at the film again after reading your comment -thanx btw.!

Man in the wood scene: I saw someone holding the axe and swifting it a side...the moon.....and then Fengriffen looks for him and found the doctor in the woods. Yeah right. Same in my version...no blood no screaming...

Cutting hand version:
Fengriffens grandfather cuts of woodmans hand after he spits out. Than a picture flip to his wide screaming...hand fall in grass....
yeahh seems to be the same version here....no blood...only wife screaming....

Rape scene:
its in my version without a cut, i think. Yeah seems for me having the whole uncut version than.

One thing what i am unsure:
When i first have seen it on TV, there was some literature poem at the fine end of the film (after the bible-book scene).

A poem of Andre Gide (french writer) saying something like:
"Its better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not"

This is actually the point why i love this film that much. Its very wise and reasonable but its not in my DVD version. Does this poem appear in your version somehow?

greetings
Mario

Last edited by Mario83721; 01-26-05 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 07:56 AM
Cool New Member

It sounds like you have the uncut version.
Okay, great !

Concerning this special quotation of Andre Gide...here are some more:
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...ndre_gide.html

Am i wrong or does the above one belong to the film?

greetings
Mario

Last edited by Mario83721; 01-27-05 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-27-05, 11:21 AM

Hi Mario:

That Gide quote does not appear on the Image disc either. It's possible it was added for a tv print version, but I can't verify that. Good luck!
Old 08-15-05, 09:57 AM
Cool New Member

Hi man*machine,Steve and all the others having this video.I have a question.Are you there?

greets
Mario
Old 09-15-05, 07:48 PM

I just saw a copy of the Image disc on eBay, is the disc hard to come by?
Old 10-16-05, 10:54 AM

Reporting from DVD Drive in, And Now the Screaming Starts will be released in early 2006, I've been waiting for this title for awhile now so i'm excited about this news.
Old 10-16-05, 11:45 AM

The three editions were uncut. The Vipco one looked like a VHS copy (their release of ASYLUM included the old warning about "This Videotape is Copyright" at the start!). Overall, the r2 from Anchor Bay has the edge, since it is anamorphic, while the r1 was not (and is out of print anyway). However, the r2 was available only as part of a Limited Edition Amicus boxset (still easily found though).

This boxset had a lot of problems, because poor design made it almost inevitable that the discs inside escaped and got scratched to bits.

Anchor Bay UK ran a major replacement scheme for it. IMHO the editions in shops now have better packaging...mine arrived in good condition.
Old 04-20-06, 02:33 PM

There's an announced release on July 25th, and by the description it looks good.
Old 04-20-06, 03:17 PM

These discs look very nice. Are these the only three Amicus films for which Dark Sky holds the rights?