Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Kill Bill question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 05:42 PM
MGR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kill Bill question

On both Deepdiscountdvd and on Amazon, for both Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2, you now have to pre-order copies with release dates of January 25, 2005.

From the Amazon description, I think the DVD seems to be the same as before.
Anyone know why they're being re-released next week?
Old 01-19-05, 05:46 PM

The only "re-release" is that they now come in a 2-pack. Fear not, they are the same DVDs as the ones currently available, just packaged together. If/when the two ARE re-released, there will surely be a thread or twenty dedicated to them.
Old 01-19-05, 05:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
maybe the price went down?
Old 01-19-05, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Price drop. They are now $13.80 each at DDD.
Old 01-19-05, 05:55 PM
MGR

Originally Posted by LBCrazyFool
Ah. Thanks for that clarification.
I didn't realize those companies had go to pre-orders for upcoming price drops.
Old 01-19-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I loved these movies but won't budge until I get a nice special edition instead of just the bare copies out right now
Old 01-19-05, 06:16 PM
Banned

Ya know, sometimes you don't need a bunch of extras and commentaries and such, sometimes the movie is fine without em. Kill Bill is like this...for me at least. I really don't care much about the extras here, I just want to watch the movie and love every second. DTS is fine for me.

But what I think would be a cool feature on the boxset is a "Fact Track" explaining all the influences and homages. I think that'd be real cool. I'm really enjoying the fact tracks on Leon and 5th Element.
Old 01-19-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
But what I think would be a cool feature on the boxset is a "Fact Track" explaining all the influences and homages. I think that'd be real cool. I'm really enjoying the fact tracks on Leon and 5th Element.

Do you mean like a subtitle type deal? That would be very nice to have. (hell, I'd like to help write it ). Considering that there are ones like that on the PULP FICTION and JACKIE BROWN SE discs, it's certainly possible for KILL BILL (but I still want a QT commentary too, dammit!)
Old 01-19-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Quack
I loved these movies but won't budge until I get a nice special edition instead of just the bare copies out right now
I love the movies too, so I didn't want to wait 2 years for something that may not even happen. I'd rather enjoy watching the movies many times while waiting out Tarantino.
Old 01-19-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by LBCrazyFool
They are about the same price at Wal-Mart too.Well at least the Wal-Mart where I live.
Old 01-19-05, 07:09 PM

do they come packed together in some kind of box or just the 2 keepcases alone?
Old 01-20-05, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

like some people who posted, i dont care much about the extras or waiting around, so i bought the Japanese DVD of KB1, screw that watered down american version crap and waiting 2 years till it finally gets a release here. the american version is pretty worthless at any price IMO.
Old 01-20-05, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, i haven't both any so far, i'm still waiting. I did rent them and enjoyed them very much. I'll wait and wait and wait.
Old 01-20-05, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Quack

You say you loved the movies.....the movies are out there to have in your collection today. QT has a bit of a penchant for having grand plans that don't always see the light of day; granted, this one probably will but why wait years for such a great 1-2 punch- especially if they're being released at a lower price as a set?? The prints look and sound great, and they are the original US theatrical releases. Extras are nice, commentaries are nice, 'deluxe' packaging is all good and well but if I LOVE a movie and it's on the shelf to buy in anamorphic OAR with DTS sound then I'm gonna take it home with me. The Kill Bill buzz has pretty much gone silent at this point so it could very well be that Quentin may not return his attention to this project for years.....in fact, it wouldn't suprise me if we don't see a revamping until HD-DVD is under way.
Old 01-20-05, 08:25 AM

Thursday, April 22, 2004

I felt a little like a tabloid newspaper editor trying to come up with a title for this little newsflash, but frankly, I think I've outdone myself and I'm sticking to it.

News has filtered through that Quentin Tarantino has announced intentions to screen an, already edited, combined version of Kill Bill on the last day of the Cannes Film Festival this year.

The film, rumoured to be titled 'Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair' is scheduled to be released on limited screens across the globe before hitting DVD, it'll premiere at Cannes. Tarantino has said that this version combines both Japanese cuts of the film, including the particularly bloody cut of The House of the Blue Leaves sequence
http://www.filmfocus.co.uk/newsdetail.asp?NewsID=95

i dont know if any of that has changed, since this was first reported in april of 2004, but lets hope the dvd thing happens this year. I do agree, however, with great picture and sound the bare bones releases are still great to have and if not owned yet, with a price drop, they are a must have.
Old 01-20-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

new toys august 5 2005
new dvds august 9 2005

still speculation...but the best to offer so far
Old 01-20-05, 01:24 PM

I may have to break down and get the Japanese DVD. I was hoping it would eventually find a release here, but it seems less and less likely.

It sounds like 'The Whole Bloody Affair' is going to be a different cut, rather than just the two movies put together. So I may have to get the individual releases after all...
Old 01-20-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I caved and bought them this weekend. Figures ther would be a price drop after I bought them.
Old 01-20-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Price drops happen so fast now, I just wait for something like this to happen. KB 1&2 are both 3/$30 at CCity next week too.
Old 01-20-05, 05:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After the next release, isn't there going to be another release?
Old 01-20-05, 11:47 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fok
After the next release, isn't there going to be another release?
Sure it will be...possibly in multi-formats too.
Old 01-21-05, 04:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scarredgod
like some people who posted, i dont care much about the extras or waiting around, so i bought the Japanese DVD of KB1, screw that watered down american version crap and waiting 2 years till it finally gets a release here. the american version is pretty worthless at any price IMO.
You do know it was written in the script to switch to B&W at a point in the House of Blue Leaves sequence right? Cause it was. The Theatrical version is the way it was written and the way it was meant to be seen. He did that special full color version, only for Japan, for what reason, I'm not really sure. I think it's cause the Japanese seem to love buckets of red kayo syrup.
Old 01-21-05, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well, if the only difference was the color then that would be one thing.

But seeing the color fight scene back to back with the black and white fight scene, it's really like night and day. There is plenty of added moves and slashes that really makes the color one a better fight scene. There is no doubt in my mind about that and anyone who has seen the two will tell you that the color one is longer and better.
Old 01-21-05, 05:21 AM
Banned

I've seen a fair amount of the color version and I still like the B&W more. Stylistically, it's cooler.
Old 01-21-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I haven't seen the color version, but in my mind the B&W would be my fav. That's one of the reasons I might want to pick up the regular versions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.