Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there be a Help! (Beatles) CE release?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2005 marks the 40th anniversary of the Beatles film Help!... is there any indication that a collectors edition will be released in 2005. A collectors edition of A Hard Days Night is available, but I haven't heard anything about Help (except possibly that an import version exists, but I'm interested in a region 1 release).
Old 01-19-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well Help! has been released in R1 at least twice to my knowledge...
once as a stand alone disc, and once as part of a 4 dvd beatles collection (i used to own this) that contained help!, magical mystery tour, the making of a hard days night, and the first US visit

...both have been OOP for a long time...and frankly they were not that great...I hated the packaging for the 4 dvd set which is why I sold it...

I too hope to see a SE of Help! in the near future.....
Old 01-19-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think a website said an SE was in the works from Apple.

The MPI DVD is very good (excellent for an early 1997 DVD), but a newly remastered version would enhance the film a lot.

First, the old transfer was tape based, so the detail and contrast wasn't as good as it should have been. It's open matte, too. A new high-def sourced 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer would be great.

Also, the sound mix is good, but the songs are from the stereo album masters. I'd like to see them do a new 5.1 remix, as well as keeping the original mono.

As for extras, the MPI DVD has two newsreels, the trailer (as well as one for A Hard Day's Night), an interview with Richard Lester, radio spots, behind-the-scenes footage, a photo gallery, and an awful transfer of The Running Jumping Standing Still Film. If Apple just copied the extras and upgraded the film transfers, it would be a great DVD.
Old 01-19-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While all the movies are worth owning I'm still waiting for Let It Be to finally get a DVD release above any other Beatles project......I've got a so-so copy on VHS I bought at Beatlefest in Chicago some years back and that's it. I hate to go the ebay route because until Apple goes with an official release the film quality is going to suck.
Old 01-19-05, 06:45 PM

Help! is by far my favorite Beatles film. I'd love to see a special edition released.

I bought a somewhat questionable DVD of it off eBay a while back. It claims to be from MPI and doesn't exhibit any obvious bootleg signs, but the cover is different and most of the bonus features are missing. The film itself is in pretty good quality, though, so the other things don't matter much.
Old 01-19-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taronga
Help! is by far my favorite Beatles film. I'd love to see a special edition released...
Same here. I picked up an Asian version from HKFlix.com that's not bad...the only real "extra" is direct menu access to the songs. Here's a link to the DVD Talk review of the disc, if anyone's interested:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9103
Old 10-24-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone know is there are any plans for Help! to be released again on DVD?

Here's a version for $9.99.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm