Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How anal are you about the condition of your games?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-05, 05:47 PM
Li

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used copy of DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball on eBay last week from someone who described it as in "great condition". Of course, I should have e-mail him and inquired about what "great" meant, but I regrettably did not. Well, I get the game today and am a bit disappointed. The disc itself is fairly scuffed (mostly light but it does have one or two suspicious looking marks), the manual is a rather worn, and the case, while decent, has that wavy effect the plastic on cases sometimes has. I'm contemplating just relisting the game and buying one that specifically says "no scratches on the disk", which I could probably do so losing only a couple bucks in the process...

Am I being completely ridiculous or what? Absolutely every one of my games is scratch-free and I think if I keep this one it's going to bug me to no end. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it either way, but I was just curious about what do you guys think?

Last edited by Li; 01-18-05 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-18-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I wouldn't blame you,i am just as anal when it comes to everything i own,not just games.
Old 01-18-05, 05:54 PM
Li

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I wouldn't blame you,i am just as anal when it comes to everything i own,not just games.
Yeah, most people who are anal about their games are going to be just as anal with everything else (which I am).
Old 01-18-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't let anyone borrow my games or my dvds. I learned my lesson when i let one of my friends borrow my Fight Club SE, i let him borrow it after i bought it (After it had gone OOP) and he returned it all fucking scratched up and turned into shit. Now all my friends give him shit cause they know he's the reason they can't borrow dvds/games from me.

And i'm pretty anal about how i handle them as well.

Last edited by Kicker_of_Elves; 01-18-05 at 06:13 PM. Reason: forgot my smilie face
Old 01-18-05, 06:14 PM

I never buy anything on ebay that has been opened. I would rather pay a little more for a sealed one. A few months ago I bought a Mario Kart Double Dash 2 disc set that was supposedly "mint". It has fingerprints and scratches all over it. From now on I only buy sealed games.
Old 01-18-05, 06:15 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I stopped buying "used" games because I can't stand the condition they can in. Similarly, that's how I deal with DVDs. Hell, the other day, I got the Star Wars Trilogy used 20 bucks. But I couldn't stand the poor condition of the cases (DVDs were fine) and returned it. BBV PVD, oh and there was also no box for the set. Just shitty cases. I hate used shit. I also won't let people borrow my stuff (except parents, because I know they'll reimburse me)
Old 01-18-05, 06:20 PM

I'm anal on disc care as well. I really don't like doing the used deal unless it is something I really didn't even want, just was a good price.
Old 01-18-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just don't understand how people manage to abuse discs. What the hell are they doing with them? I'm pretty anal about it, but it's not like I have a clean room in my house that's all white and I require people to wear foot booties before they touch a disc. It's not that hard. Take it out of the case, put it in the player, reverse when finished. Some of the Netflix discs look like they've been to hell and back.
Old 01-18-05, 06:57 PM
Li

Originally Posted by Gromit
I just don't understand how people manage to abuse discs. What the hell are they doing with them? I'm pretty anal about it, but it's not like I have a clean room in my house that's all white and I require people to wear foot booties before they touch a disc. It's not that hard. Take it out of the case, put it in the player, reverse when finished. Some of the Netflix discs look like they've been to hell and back.
I agree completely, I just don't get it.
Old 01-18-05, 07:02 PM
Li

I worked at an EB for 7 weeks (they laid me off after the new year because they didn't have the payroll) and I bought a few used games because I got 25% off. The thing was, I got to examine everything carefully before buying it, even trade boxes with another game if it wasn't as great as I'd like. The games I bought were all near perfect. Those were the days...

Last edited by Li; 01-18-05 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-18-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am pretty anal about my games, I won't buy used games for the most part just because I want a game in perfect condition. I am the same about my DVD's. Plus new dvd's and games can generally be found for as cheap if not cheaper than used games, when stores have clearances, and price mistakes, etc.

I agree with you Li, great condition should look like it was never used for the most part, the manual and case should look brand new, with no scratches on the case. You might consider leaving neutral (or worse) feedback?
Old 01-18-05, 07:50 PM
Li

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I agree with you Li, great condition should look like it was never used for the most part, the manual and case should look brand new, with no scratches on the case. You might consider leaving neutral (or worse) feedback?
Yeah, I've thought about that. He's already given me feedback since I paid right after the auction ended, but would it be fair to give him negative feedback without even bring up my concerns to him? I know I'd like someone to let me know if there was a problem before throwing the feedback at me...
Old 01-18-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Honestly, if it plays and the case is in decent condition I could care less. Having a shiny disc means nothing to me, having a disc that doesn't play though, that does bother me. But light scuffing usually does not mean that you'll have that problem, so I don't care. Expecting a spotless disc off of ebay is something you should check ahead of time, because for a lot of people if it plays and the case is all there, then it's in excellent condition. If I buy something off ebay, that's all I really expect as I could care less about light scuffing. It's fine to be anal about your property and what you buy, but be wary, as not everyone sees things that way.

Of course, when I list things on ebay I don't say great condition unless it is spotless. I just put good condition. If it's got serious scratches I usually just won't sell it. But not everyone's standards are the same. I definately would not appreciate negative feedback on an issue like that, as it surely isn't something everyone would have a problem with. Take it up with him if it bothers you, if I was the seller I'd let you return it to me for a full refund.
Old 01-18-05, 08:00 PM

something really scary happened to me.
so I let a friend borrow Family Guy Volume 1, he gives me all the answers in English, so I figured I owed him something.
He returned it, upon return, he asked for volume 2, and he said he'd let me borrow some from his collection this time.
I borrowed 2, the first one I watched, skipped about 8 times for long incriments of time, it was horrible, I'm so worried now! I'm never loaning anymore, even if I get them back in the same condition.
Old 01-18-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I often wonder what the heck people do to their games. Most of my games, DVDs, and CDs are still in the same condition as when I bought them. How hard is it to replace a disc or put a case back when you're done?
Old 01-18-05, 08:07 PM
Li

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Honestly, if it plays and the case is in decent condition I could care less. Having a shiny disc means nothing to me, having a disc that doesn't play though, that does bother me. But light scuffing usually does not mean that you'll have that problem, so I don't care. Expecting a spotless disc off of ebay is something you should check ahead of time, because for a lot of people if it plays and the case is all there, then it's in excellent condition. If I buy something off ebay, that's all I really expect as I could care less about light scuffing. It's fine to be anal about your property and what you buy, but be wary, as not everyone sees things that way.

True, I should have know better. Though it may sound naive to say, other auctions mention if the disc had light scratches, and never called the game "great", just "good". I should have specifically asked him if it had scratches, I know. Still, it's bad enough he should have mentioned it.

Last edited by Li; 01-18-05 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-18-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I'm buying a used game from EB or Gamestop, I make sure to find a copy with a nice case/cover and preferably instructions included. I also take a look at the discs before they seal the case up. When Gamestop was having their B2G1F deal, the three games I picked up all had nice cases on the wall with instructions, so I assumed that's what I would get. After the guy rang it up he gave the games to me in paper sleeves, so I asked if he had any more cases; he said they used the cases for display but didn't give them out for the last copy(even though every other purchase I had ever made I had been given the case off of the rack if I bought the last copy). I didn't say anything but I arched my eyebrow and glanced over at the used rack - he looked over then said "I'll see what I can do". He proceeded to take those cases off the rack and put my games into them, take out new cases from under the desk and write the game title on paper and put those on the rack, then hand me the games. I thanked him and he gave me an obvious silent "F you".
It truly is amazing the condition I see some used games in. In many instances I see ripped covers, wrinkly manuals, cases that look to be survivors of a gangland shootout, and discs that were apparently polished with a circular saw.
When it comes to loaning out games/DVD's, I will loan them out, but I put the discs in standard jewel cases.
Old 01-18-05, 08:30 PM
Li

Originally Posted by KingSmoth
It truly is amazing the condition I see some used games in. In many instances I see ripped covers, wrinkly manuals, cases that look to be survivors of a gangland shootout, and discs that were apparently polished with a circular saw.
Oh trust me, I know all too well! I took in so many trade-ins that looked like the owner had wiped their ass with it, it's not even funny.
Old 01-18-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How did I guess that DVDTalkers would be anal about the condition of their games?

I've often been caught short and ended up having to wipe my arse with a Virtua Fighter 4 manual. So what if I end up trading it in afterwards? Who cares if you happen to buy the copy of Animal Crossing where I used the case as an actual ANIMAL CROSSING. What do I care if you happen to buy my traded in EBGames.com copy of WWF Smackdown, that just happened to have been used as an ASHCase. Screw you guys - I'm gonna keep scratching my fat hairy arse with game discs, ruining them with multiple runs through the Disc Doctor, and TRADING THEM INTO GAMESTOP FOR YOUR FUTURE ENJOYMENT!

I had my fun - and that's all that matters.
Old 01-18-05, 09:26 PM
Li

Well, I sent the guy and e-mail mentioning my concerns. I have a feeling he's going to be completely suprised I'm complaining about a disc he obviously concidered "great". I dunno... If he tells me to go pound sand up my ass then I'll just leave the negative and put it back on eBay.
Old 01-18-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Li
True, I should have know better. Though it may sound naive to say, other auctions mention if the disc had light scratches, and never called the game "great", just "good". I should have specifically asked him if it had scratches, I know. Still, it's bad enough he should have mentioned it.
I agree, if it has scratches on it I won't be saying great, but with ebay it's buyer beware. But it doesn't sound like he was necessarily trying to scam you. I would write him and see if he's willing to do anything about it. I know I sold a CD that I said was in so-so condition, the person wrote back about it skipping. I offered a full refund as I had no intention of selling a product that doesn't work, and hopefully this seller is willing to do the same. Then, if he's an ass about it, leave the negative feedback. If it's really that scratched he did misrepresent it, whether intentional or not. At least he'll be more conscious about it in the future.
Old 01-18-05, 09:42 PM
Li

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I agree, if it has scratches on it I won't be saying great, but with ebay it's buyer beware. But it doesn't sound like he was necessarily trying to scam you. I would write him and see if he's willing to do anything about it. I know I sold a CD that I said was in so-so condition, the person wrote back about it skipping. I offered a full refund as I had no intention of selling a product that doesn't work, and hopefully this seller is willing to do the same. Then, if he's an ass about it, leave the negative feedback. If it's really that scratched he did misrepresent it, whether intentional or not. At least he'll be more conscious about it in the future.

Yeah, I don't think he was trying to scam anyone. Like I said, to his standards it may have been "great", since there are only 3-4 scratches would be considered deep (though like I said, the disc is pretty much covered in light scratches).

He probably doesn't want the bad feedback (has 66/0/0) but will also think I'm nuts for complaining.

Last edited by Li; 01-18-05 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-18-05, 09:57 PM
Li

Originally Posted by cheapskate
How did I guess that DVDTalkers would be anal about the condition of their games?
BTW, notice I said how anal.
Old 01-18-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I buy mostly used games unless they're greatest hits titles. I simply make the clerk show me the disc before I purchase it. If it doesn't meet my standards, I ask for another one, or don't buy it.

As far as your ebay feedback goes, you have a valid complaint. I would email him and give him a chance to make it right though, even if it's just an apology, before you leave him neutral or negative FB.

I have NO scratches on any cd/dvd media that I own, unless I bought one used that way. I am anal about them for potential resale value, not because I'm a neat-freak or anything.
Old 01-19-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm very anal about the condition of my games and DVDs... up to the point where I don't even like my friends handling them, because they're not as "careful" handling them as I am.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.