Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Desperate Housewives on DVD (Sept. 20)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Desperate Housewives on DVD (Sept. 20)

Just in time for season two they plan on getting season one out for consumer consumption.

Congrats to Desperate Housewives - one of my favorite guilty pleasures and a can't-miss show every Sunday evening - for the show's Golden Globe win last night for "Best Musical or Comedy Series" and for Teri Hatcher's win for "Best Actress, Musical or Comedy". And the great news for Desperate Housewives fans didn't stop there! More hot stuff came from backstage after the wins...about a DVD release of the show!

Backstage at the awards ceremony, TV Guide Insider Michael Ausiello was keeping a log (BLog?) of what was going on with the winners. At the 11:00 timeframe, Ausiello talks about getting together with the cast of Desperate Housewives in the press room. Here's what he logged:

11:00 The entire cast of Desperate Housewives is in the press room basking in their best comedy series win. When a reporter asks which of the women has the best love life, all the gals point to Felicity Huffman. Bill Macy, you little devil!

11:10 Housewives creator/exec producer Marc Cherry says Marcia Cross initially balked at reciting the line, "Rex cries when he ejaculates."

11:11 What do Halle Berry, Kevin Spacey and Lawrence Fishburne have in common? They all admitted to being big fans of the show, Eva Longoria reveals.

11:12 The first-season Housewives DVD drops in August. Scoop!

11:12 On being named the worst dressed celeb by Mr. Blackwell, Nicollette Sheridan sasses, "I'd rather be No. 1 on the worst-dressed than No. 2 on the best-dressed. What the hell does Mr. Blackwell know anyway?"

Yes, Michael...scoop! Good job on getting it, too. Fans of the show were hoping that this would come to light, especially after hearing that another successful new ABC series, Lost, was said to be getting a DVD release in 2005.

This is really early info, mind you, so stay tuned and we'll update you with any developments that we hear about. Great news, though!

From the great source:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2750
Old 01-17-05, 05:16 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that didn't take long
Old 01-17-05, 05:56 PM

Well, it works for "24."

RichC
Old 01-17-05, 06:10 PM
Banned

i DON'T KNOW, i HAVE NEVER SEEN THE SHOW, SO IS IT WORTH PICKING UP COME aUGUST?
Old 01-17-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i am going to have to catch this show on DVD... Glad to see i dont have a long wait
Old 01-17-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dalvin
i DON'T KNOW, i HAVE NEVER SEEN THE SHOW, SO IS IT WORTH PICKING UP COME aUGUST?
Its a great show. The DVD's should sell very well. Nice thing about waiting for the dvd's is that you don't have to wait a week or more to see the next episode.
Old 01-17-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope this means Boston Legal won't be far behind. I love that show, but I can't bring myself to watch it because my whole Sunday night would be gone. Thanks for the update. Scrubs, then this news, makes for a good day.
Old 01-17-05, 07:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Glad to hear it.
Old 01-17-05, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Great! Only saw a few episodes on TV but did like what I saw.
Old 01-17-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"Desperate Housewives" & "lost" both coming out on DVD before the second seasons = awesome. This leaves some hope that "Life as we Know it" will also get a DVD release (weither it be "The Complete First Season" or "The Complete Series").

One question though, I've heard that with just the first 8 episodes, Marc Cherry had about 60 minutes of deleted footage and he wants to include all the deleted footage from the episodes into the dvds (so that would be like 160 minutes or so)... has anyone else heard this?
Old 01-17-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

60 extra minutes? Maybe it's a bunch of nude scenes.

I don't know if I'll buy it since I'm watching the shows, but I might rent it to see the eps one more time plus the extras.
Old 01-17-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
GREAT news..
Old 01-17-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the news.
Old 01-18-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool - it's a great show!
Old 01-18-05, 03:37 AM

Dont forget Teri Hatcher was on the best dressed list.
Old 01-18-05, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
60 extra minutes? Maybe it's a bunch of nude scenes.

I don't see it happening, of course, but it'll sure be interesting if network TV shows ever follow the rated/unrated movie release trend, and they intentionally film nudity, swearing, extra violence, etc., for the "harder" DVD version.
Old 02-07-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's been pushed back a bit.

Desperate Housewives - Disney Investor Conference Mentions Desperate DVD Timeframe

Posted by David Lambert
2/06/2005

Three weeks ago we told you that Desperate Housewives was coming to DVD, and that the behind-the-scenes talk at the Golden Globes ceremony was that "the first-season Housewives DVD drops in August. "

It looks like it will actually be a month later than that. We have some new information now: last week, on Jan. 31st and Feb. 1st, The Walt Disney Company held their annual Investor Conference for 2005, and again and again they talked about the revenue generated by the DVD business. TV-on-DVD releases were mentioned often as being a great source of ancillary income from the television programs developed by their Touchstone Television company.

Desperate Housewives ("DH") is certainly one of the foremost among the properties Touchstone Television owns, along with Lost. Both were mentioned by ABC Networks President Anne Sweeney in her presentation during the afternoon session on the second day. She was talking about the success of both shows, and she said this about them:

DVDs for both DH and Lost will be released this September.

If you would like to hear that quote for yourself, you have a couple of days to do it. The recording of the entire 2005 Investor Conference can be found online, and if you select the "1:00 PM - 6:00 PM ET Walt Disney Investor Conference - Afternoon Session" link from the "Tuesday 2/1/05" section, it will pull up four hours worth of sessions. If you head to the 2 hour, 38 minute time index (give or take a minute), you will hear the above quote. Sweeney also repeats the information in her Q&A session later on. But hurry if you want to check those recordings: the site says they will only be available through Feb. 8th.

Our thanks go out to reader Peter Skliros for all of his assistance in putting this story together. We're just as excited about these releases as you are, and can't wait to hold them in our hands! Kudos to Touchstone Television, ABC, and Sweeney for these great shows, and for the DVDs as well. We'll have more info about them just as soon as we can, of course, so stay tuned!

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2877
Old 02-07-05, 10:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Too bad it got pushed back. I liked the August date - gave viewers a chance to actually watch the entire box set before the second season starts.
Old 02-08-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A steamier update:

Desperate Housewives - Post reports on 'Dirty' DH DVDs

Posted by David Lambert
2/08/2005

Today's issue of The New York Post has a new report written by Michael Starr entitled "Dirty Desperate Housewives". We mentioned the other day that ABC Networks President Anne Sweeney said at the 2005 Investor Conference for the Walt Disney Company that Desperate Housewives will be released on DVD in September, and Starr's article goes into detail about the unaired scenes that are planned to supplement that set.

The article, which we encourage you to read in its entirety, quotes DH creator Marc Cherry as saying that "the show's hotly anticipated DVD will include censored scenes too hot for ABC." It relays from him that a scene featuring Nicollette Sheridan ("Edie") in some very skimpy underwear could make it onto the discs, along with (possibly) an extended sequence from the bondage scene played out in one episode between Rex Van De Kamp (Bree's husband, played by Steven Kulp) and naughty neighbor Maisy Gibbons (played by special guest Sharon Lawrence). The New York Post quotes Cherry as saying "Standards and practices went nuts" in regard to the deleted sequence. But as we know, the DVDs have the capability of putting things back together the way the producers intended it to be viewed.

The article concludes with another quote from Cherry, who says "We've got a couple of plots that are going to make much more sense once you see what we've cut out." Again, we encourage you to read the entire article as written by Starr, and see what else is said. Bear in mind that the Post has a reputation for playing up the sexy angle on much of what they report, and it's unlikely that every extra on this set would be centered around the salacious side of things. Still, it's good to know that the DVD producers realize that the show plays to an mature audience, and they plan to deliver DVDs to match.

Our thanks to our reader, Alyssa, for her tip about the Post article. Stay tuned, and we'll have more for you about the Desperate Housewives DVD set as developments occur.

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2890
Old 02-08-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Oh dear god. Did you really not read your post before you pressed "submit reply"?

I'm sure we can expect a "Should I buy Desperate housewives on DVD?" following with a "Teri Hatcher picture request" post in the adult forum.
Old 02-08-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Yes, it's worth picking up.

It's also worth checking your Caps Lock
Old 03-01-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More info from our friends at tvshowsondvd.com

Desperate Housewives - Newspaper mentions Release Date, Price & some Extras!

***UPDATED***
Posted by David Lambert
3/01/2005

Today's issue of USA Today has a "Life" section report called " 'Lost,' 'Desperate' destined for DVD", going over the basic info for both releases. We'll talk about Lost further in a separate news post, but here's the latest news on Desperate Housewives, quoted directly from the newspaper:

Desperate Housewives is due Sept. 20 ($60), with many extras, including an alternate ending to the season finale, unrated extended episodes, a documentary on the Housewives phenomenon and a Wisteria Lane fashion show.

We don't know if that's ALL the extras in the set, given the wording. We called over to Buena Vista to ask, and they told us to look for the official press release in the near future. They did tell us, though, that "$60" is the SRP ($59.99, to be exact), on both Desperate Housewives and on Lost. Stay tuned for more information, Desperate fans, and we'll bring it to you just as soon as we can!

Our thanks to all the readers who brought this to our attention, but especially Alyssa Kaplan, who was the first to alert us, and sent us the online link to the story.

UPDATE!
Wow, it hasn't even been two hours since we posted this info, and there's more info already! Thanks goes to reader Scott Lovelace, for pointing us toward a story by trade magazine Home Media Retailing (formerly (Video Store Magazine). In his take today on the releases, HMR writer Erik Gruenwedel gives us different info about the extras, possibly filling in the gaps in USA Today's list! Here's a quote from that story:

Desperate Housewives: The Complete First Season, winner of two Golden Globes for best comedy and best actress (Teri Hatcher), includes this season's alternate ending; unrated and unintended episodes; cast commentaries; a making-of documentary; a fashion show, and series creator Marc Cherry's favorite episodes with audio commentary.

Cool, many of us were hoping for the commentary tracks, and according to this report they'll be there! One disappointment is that there's no mention of the original version of the pilot being included. For those of you who don't know, the pilot was shot at first with a slightly different cast, including Sheryl Lee (Twin Peaks' "Laura Palmer") playing - yes, you guess it! - dead girl "Mary Alice Scott". We hope the original pilot finds its way onto the DVD, too! Stay tuned and we'll let you know when the press release shows up.

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3020
Old 03-01-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
One of the entertainment shows reported this tonight along with Lost being slated for September 6 (I think I saw the date right). But I thought that they had Desperate Housewives coming out in mid-late September. I wasn't paying too much attention.
Old 03-02-05, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
One of the entertainment shows reported this tonight along with Lost being slated for September 6 (I think I saw the date right). But I thought that they had Desperate Housewives coming out in mid-late September. I wasn't paying too much attention.
Buford quoted the date in my story: Sept. 20th!

And yeah, Lost on Sept. 6:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2982
Old 03-02-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
This was listed in yesterday's USA Today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.