Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Do away with xp pro logon passwords?

Easy
01-17-05, 01:17 PM
Single user system and I would like to eliminate logon passwords. I know I can get around the logon with tweakui but it still wants the password coming out of suspend. I can't live with that. I have programs that can come out of suspend, execute and suspend the box again. This damn password is killing me. How to get rid of it?

matome
01-17-05, 01:24 PM
Control Panel>Power Options>Advanced tab> remove check from "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby"

Easy
01-17-05, 03:21 PM
That did it. Thanks. Any way to dump the logon password without tweakui?

BartleyR7
01-17-05, 04:52 PM
That did it. Thanks. Any way to dump the logon password without tweakui?

Control Panel -> User Accounts
Click on the account you want to edit
Choose "Remove my password"

This works in Windows XP Professional. Also, you may need to know the password for the account you want to remove it from.

wmansir
01-17-05, 06:36 PM
The above method will still give you the logon page, but you just have to click a name to continue. This method will skip the page entirely.

# Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2. This is a shortcut instead of having to click on Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts.
# Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" check box.
# Click Apply.
# Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.
# Click OK again and you're all done.

Also, DON'T REMOVE THE PASSWORD FROM THE ADMIN ACCOUNT. If you ever have a problem and need to use the recovery console to access your system you have to enter the admin pwd, if you don't have a pwd set it doesn't work.