Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you drastically reduced playing video games?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For awhile I stopped collecting and watching my dvds to spend time with my xbox and got into it for 5-6 months heavily. I've found that I've stopped playing my games as much and limit my game time to sports games only now due to their short length (usually 30 min a game). I've resorted back to my dvd habit and am going full force into collecting movies again though this time limiting it to movies that I will rewatch again instead on buying movies that are "just a good deal".

Have you slowed down your game playing?
Old 01-17-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No.
Old 01-17-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do not have a whole lot of time to play in a weeks time but I manage to play a few hours per week. Definitely have scaled down my playing time over the years but I guess when you work every day that is what happens.
Old 01-17-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I haven't bought a game or DVD in months. Since I work full time, go to school (15 credits this spring, 2 grad classes and 3 undergrad), and volunteer 10-20 hours a week, I have no time. I did play some GBA during the winter break but now that school starts tomorrow, no more until school's over again. I haven't touched the PS2/XBOX/GC in ages.
Old 01-17-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

that sounds so boring
Old 01-17-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I have cut back since I went back to school. And since my wife switched back to working days. Damn her, have to spend time with her now! But I still get in a couple nights a week. But I have to share my "fun" time with TV and DVD stuff, so it's hard to get it all in. I think I need to sleep less.
Old 01-17-05, 11:57 AM

I don't really play games or watch movies anymore.

But I still buy both.......
Old 01-17-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RudeBoie
I don't really play games or watch movies anymore.

But I still buy both.......

So sad... So true...
Old 01-17-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
working and going to school just naturally cuts down my free time to play games.
Old 01-17-05, 12:20 PM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I cut down on my sleep time...I have a couple of hours per night I can play. It's funny because I am 26 years old...I have less time now than I have ever had to play games. BUT I BUY MORE GAMES NOW THAN I EVER HAD. Here is a list of Xbox games that I have picked up in the past month alone:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Ninja Gaiden
ESPN College Hoops 2K5
Full Spectrum Warrior
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Sonic Mega Collection
Midways Arcade Treasure Vol 2
Halo 2
Shenmue 2
I have no time to play these games...yet I still want to buy more. I need professional help. I LOVE VIDEO GAMES.

wlj
Old 01-17-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I go in streaks. Maybe three months out of the year I will get real big into video games and play them whenever I have free time. I start buying games left and right, and usually end up with quite a few just sitting on the shelf and never getting played. After completing a few games I get burnt out on playing them for a awhile, and cut down my video game time dramatically. I'll usually just play a few titles I'm really interested in, and only buy games when there is a crazy deal going on.
Old 01-17-05, 12:49 PM
Banned

i did untill RE4 came out since then the wife and i both have been playing as much as we can when we are not working.. even the 4 year old and 10 year old watch us play they are learning how to play RE4.....
Old 01-17-05, 01:11 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. I got busy with school and work last year, and my gameplaying time dropped by probably 75%.

Now I have more free time, but I'm still having problems getting back into games as much as I was before. Even with Metroid Prime 2 (a game in one of my favorite series) I'm having problems getting motivated to play, and I love the little I've played of it.

Hopefully I'll get out of this funk, but in the meantime I'm slowing down my game buying. No sense in spending the $$$ right now when I end up spending more free time on DVDs or books.
Old 01-17-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw
that sounds so boring
Not when you found the meaning of your life and what you're supposed to do for the rest of it Then it's exciting and passionate.
Old 01-17-05, 03:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only when I finish the current Final Fantasy game I'm playing.
Old 01-17-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
According to my final Paper Mario 2 save file (from yesterday), I've spent about 48 hours playing it since I received it as a Christmas present.

I guess what I'm saying is: No.
Old 01-17-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Increased game time to about 5-10 hrs a week and also I've stopped buying dvds for the moment. I usually buy 2-3 games a month.
Old 01-17-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
I'm playing less now, but that's mainly because there's a lot of shows the Mrs. wants to watch on the DVR and we only have the one main TV. I'm behind in my gaming big time; have only scratched the surface of GTA : SA and haven't even OPENED Sly 2 yet
Old 01-18-05, 07:08 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wlj
If I cut down on my sleep time...I have a couple of hours per night I can play. It's funny because I am 26 years old...I have less time now than I have ever had to play games. BUT I BUY MORE GAMES NOW THAN I EVER HAD. Here is a list of Xbox games that I have picked up in the past month alone:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Ninja Gaiden
ESPN College Hoops 2K5
Full Spectrum Warrior
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Sonic Mega Collection
Midways Arcade Treasure Vol 2
Halo 2
Shenmue 2
I have no time to play these games...yet I still want to buy more. I need professional help. I LOVE VIDEO GAMES.

wlj

add Mortal Kombat Deception to that list.....I need help

wlj
Old 01-18-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ever since I got out of high school, the amount of gaming I do has significantly dropped. It's mostly due to the few games that can hold my interest nowadays. I only beat the really good games now, anything else I play for a few minutes and never come back to it.
Old 01-18-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Mine has picked up alittle for three reasons:

First and most important - Got an XBox in October

Second I got rid of the PS2 which i became bored with.

Third I drew the line on spending any more $$$ upgrading or buying a new PC for just a few games.

For me the XBox provides the right balance in game play, satisfaction, $$$$, and of course on-line Live.

Kenny J. - a.k.a Buzz Starhopper
Old 01-18-05, 10:53 PM

I have a 3 month old son, so I haven't really played in about 3 months. Seriously. I've probably played 10-12 hours total since he was born.

Thank God for Katamari Damancy.
Old 01-19-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
[QUOTE=jw2299]I have a 3 month old son, so I haven't really played in about 3 months.

That my friend is "THE" reason not to play - priceless !!

Kenny J. - a.k.a - Buzz Starhopper
Old 01-20-05, 08:38 AM

I probably play 50% less than I did two years ago, for two reasons -

1 - Having a kid (18 mos. old) takes a lot of your time. I'm not complaining, he's a lot of fun, but at the same time, you don't get nearly as much personal time to do what you want to do.

2- Working in the game industry, by the end of the day, sometimes the last thing I want to do is look at a game. I think this holds true for most people who work in an industry that's also related to their hobby/downtime activity. When I worked in the photo industry, I used to likewise pick up my own camera a lot less.

That said, sometimes, I just can't resist the siren song of Halo 2, Rainbow Six or Sly Cooper. Maybe even a little Taiko Drum Master now and again (my kid loves to watch that game and beat on the drum as if he's actually playing).

I remember before my son was born and before taking my current job, it was no big deal to sit with a game for five hours a night until I finished it. Now, if I get an hour or two every two days, I'm happy.
Old 01-20-05, 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=K&AJones]
Originally Posted by jw2299
I have a 3 month old son, so I haven't really played in about 3 months.

That my friend is "THE" reason not to play - priceless !!

Kenny J. - a.k.a - Buzz Starhopper
Yeah, I guess that sounded kind of mixed up of me. I love my son more than anything, but I still miss playing games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.