Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Some Questions for HD DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Questions for HD DVD!

OK, I purchased a HDTV 3 years ago a Pioneer SD-582HD5 model and I have a question about the upcoming HD DVD players. I will be picking up the DirecTV HD stuff soon. Please tell me that I will be able to use one of these players on this TV? Not sure how the new players hook up to the TV. My TV has Component and RGB inputs in the back along with the normal inputs. The TV is barely 3 years old and I love it and I'm getting excited about the upcoming players. Just wanted to ask around to find some info. Thanks...
Old 01-14-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Answer: Yes, if your TV can accept the signal from the player.
Old 01-14-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by tacomantt
Answer: Yes, if your TV can accept the signal from the player.
To expand on this a bit, it has not really been finalized what type of interface will be needed on a TV to get the signal from player to TV. I know there wll be definite problems if they can't put the signal out on component since many early gen HDTVS (mine included) have no DVI port on it. I am sure there will be some accomodation.
Old 01-16-05, 11:05 AM

Ya I hope so on the Component inputs Qui Gon or I will be a bit upset. Us early adopters need some love on this subject thats for sure.
Thanks Guys,

Jedi
Old 01-16-05, 04:11 PM

Particularly pisser about this is that it is techologically possible to run HD through component, but they may opt for DVI for anti-piracy reasons.

If it goes forward as such, I would expect to see some type of class-action lawsuit.
Old 01-16-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While it may be true that the standard has not been finalized, one thing is certain, and that is that component is not one of the options being considered. The content owners would never allow it to happen. The main contenders are DVI and HDMI. And the smart money is on HDMI right now. Why? Because it provides the same level of content protection as DVI -- in fact, the video portion of HDMI is fully compatible with DVI -- plus, it has the added benefit of including full bandwidth multichannel audio in the same cable. So, the content owners will be happy with it, and the hardware manufacturers will love it, since it will so greatly simplify the design of A/V receivers, satellite tuners, cable set-top boxes, pre/pros, TVs, DVD recorders/players, and pretty much any kind of device that can connect to an audio-only or A/V system.

There will be an accommodation for component-only HDTV owners, but that will be in the form of an EDTV signal provided over that connection. So, while it is very likely that a class-action lawsuit will come, it is unlikely that it will result in any kind of substantial award for obsolete HDTV owners (including me). We will just be branded "early adopters," and be advised that we knew the risks going in (which we did, if we were doing our homework).

Personally, I don't think it will be worth it to waste the time and energy on such a battle. The emerging technologies make my 4-year-old HDTV look pretty pathetic by comparison. I'd rather just upgrade.
Old 01-16-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Robo where have you heard that component isn't even being considered? I'm not saying you're wrong but I've read that they're still looking at connectivity options but haven't ruled anything out at this point. If they don't allow component they're shooting themselves in the foot by locking out all of those potential customers. If they include component but downres it most people won't buy it since it will be the same as standard progressive DVD. I keep saying it but no one listens. The studios have nothing to fear from component for CP reasons. There are no HD devices available that allow copying a DVD or HD DVD signal over component and even if there was it would be an analog copy and not a pristine digital dupe.
Old 01-16-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've read a number of articles on the net, as well as in print magazines (Home Theater runs articles about these issues on a fairly regular basis). What you say is true, in that the component connection itself is analog, but the perception on the part of content owners is that, because it cannot be flagged with any form of digital copy protection, a component signal could find its way back into the digital domain as "unprotected" data, and therefore be copied an infinite number of times with no loss beyond the original analog copy.

Of course, the reports I've read may just be a case of some Chicken Littles, and the sky may not be falling, but their conclusions have been pretty consistent. And, as far as I know, none of the current models of HDTVs will receive an HD signal over component, only over DVI (which I believe is already starting to shift to HDMI).

If someone can show that this information is flawed, I won't be at all offended. In fact, I would be happy to hear it. I am just reporting what others have said.
Old 01-17-05, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK I thought perhaps you had a link or something to an official statement from a manufacturer. At this point I think anything the HT mags or online reports are saying is still speculation. I also don't think that the component inputs on newer HDTVs are limited to 480p either. They have DVi or HDMI but are not limited to those as HD inputs.
Old 01-17-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aren't all the new upconversion dvd players using DVI or HDMI?
Old 01-17-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Aren't all the new upconversion dvd players using DVI or HDMI?
Yes most of them do. But these are not true HD players. We still don't know what the real HD DVD players or Blu-Ray players will use. My theory about the lack of component output on the up converting players has been that the studios were again falsely afraid of people making analog copies and that these copies would hurt their future sales of real HD players and discs. I think that they feel that if you own an upconverting player that sales of real HD players and HD discs would suffer because most people would think the up conversion is good enough and never upgrade. I think their feeling are warranted on this due to what many in these forums have already said.
Old 01-17-05, 03:52 PM

DVD players are moving to HDMI. Some brands have completely skiped DVI, which is no big deal. HDMI and DVI are compatible and there are adapters...HDMI to DVI, DVI to HDMI. If your TV has either you will be set. I wouldn't be able to say if they will pull component.
I can envision a purely digital player though. It would be quite a reduction in connections out the back.
Old 01-17-05, 04:22 PM

I hope the hardware wanufacturers make a very vocal concern to the studios ramming these standards down their throats that it will hurt sales in a big way if they cut out those potential customers that don't have access to HDMI or DVI on their sets. Component offers a superb picture from my cable provider so it is not a question of "possible." They (studios and HW manufacturers) should be courting these potential customers (early adopters) not alienating them.

There has been a lot of discussion about wether an HDTV is "cheap" or not. I will say that I just finished paying off my TV, and my fiancee would KILL me if I suggested buying a new TV AND a high priced player and new discs to go with it.

I fear that Robo is right though.
Old 01-17-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well IMO, just like DPL, LCD, and anything else small is the rage, so is HDMI. That is what everything is going to be switched to. My example about upconversion dvd players shows this, again IMO. But I could be wrong and I hope that I am.
Old 01-17-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Upconverting players are part of the issue, but what about the issue of currently available (i.e., "2005 models") HDTVs? Everything I've read has indicated that none of these models will process a component HD video signal. They only support DVI/HDMI. I don't know what they do if you try to feed them a component HD signal (either ignore it or internally downconvert it), but I am curious about this. If what I've read is true, then it makes the issue of component for HD sort of moot, doesn't it?
Old 01-17-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't speak for every brand but I know that Mits, Hitachi and Toshiba still handle 1080i through component on their 2005 model CRT based HDTVs even though they provide a DV/HDMI port in addition to component.
Old 01-18-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It seems the studios are holding the hardware companies liable for releasing any dvd player that upconverts over component. That being said I don't think they want anything other than a digital connection on the next format. This kills sales right off the bat IMO. I have also read opinions on other boards of people that think they will use component but it will downscale the info to a 480 signal. We will have to wait and see. The studios don't seem to care about comp out with D-VHS though correct? (Well ok, supporting studio Fox doesn't)

Heres my question. Sony's major card is using BR in the PS3 putting HD into more homes. How can they sell a game system, which uses HD content, with a digital connection 99% of game buyers might not have? That would seem like a bad idea to me.
Old 01-18-05, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Heres my question. Sony's major card is using BR in the PS3 putting HD into more homes. How can they sell a game system, which uses HD content, with a digital connection 99% of game buyers might not have? That would seem like a bad idea to me.
This is an excellent point. When are these fools going to realize that if it is made affordable and easy to use that piracy is a smaller problem?