Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ER "Skin" -- 01.13.2005

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ER "Skin" -- 01.13.2005

Old 01-13-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ER "Skin" -- 01.13.2005

Spoiler:

ABBY IS KIDNAPPED BY GANG MEMBERS IN THE HOPES THAT SHE CAN SAVE ONE OF THEIR WOUNDED - As Abby (Maura Tierney) smokes in the ambulance bay, an SUV pulls in carrying a gunshot victim. When Abby runs to the car to help the patient, she's pulled inside at gunpoint and driven away. Ray (Shane West) begins treatment on a woman who soon requests a new doctor. At first Ray is offended, but then learns that there is more to the patient's story than meets the eye.
Old 01-13-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
looks like buffalo with all the shootings
Old 01-13-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
and there's the misleading preview scene
Old 01-13-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the Abby urination scene was...odd.
Old 01-13-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

that was the biggest steaming pile of I've seen in a while
Old 01-13-05, 10:16 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
Okay so what happened? Recap anyone? (I missed it.)
Old 01-13-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Didn't Hawkeye find himself in the same situation back in '77?
Old 01-13-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

abby got kidnapped by gang bangers in order to patch up their moron cousin who got shot by another gang
too bad all the gang banger fucks didn't die

basically it was the annual "er's writers and producers want you to know how much they hate guns" episode
Old 01-13-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Susan is appalled by the lack of good bedside manners of her interns, but she doesn't can't quite communicate with them.

Ray's "happy-go-lucky/smooth operator/hip" facade is exposed by a pre-op transsexual (looking like a woman) who complained of shortness of breath, and the labs came back making it seem the patient is pregnant, but it turns out the presence of a hormone that indicate a pregnancy condition in woman is the same as when a man is stricken by testicular cancer. At least the patient was going to get rid of the equipment anyway, but didn't like Ray's handling, so another doctor was requested. Susan did the consult, but later was busy, so Ray had to go back to the patient, and then the diagnosis was explained to him, and the reason for requesting a different doctor, citing the bad energy by Ray's outward persona hiding a different person underneath.

A man comes in to look for who handle his now deceased wife's case just a few days ago, and Neela was asked, but she doesn't remember, but later, it's determined she was the attending, and Kovach pushes Neela to go work on her bedside manner and to trust herself when dealing with a grieving husband. Before that revelation, Kovach has Neela do complicated procedure on a patient's skull, which should have been done by a more senior resident (Pratt), but Kovach wanted Neela to transfer her confidence in technical procedures to handling the emotional state of patients and their families.

When Wendell asks John to go to Telluride with her, he tells her he's busy, but later, he changes his mind, and then gets funny signals from Wendell when she's okay with his turnabout, but he never finds out why because he gets interrupted by Neela.

After getting reamed out by Susan for not quite filling out her paperwork on the up and up, Abby goes out for a smoke to wait for the ambulance, and instead, gets kidnapped by some gang-related folks in a SUV. One guy is shot, and needs medical attention, but didn't want to be in the ER due to procedures of being reported for GSW to the police, so they force Abby to try and fix up their shot up bud. One is just a teenage boy, and the driver is late teens, early twenties. They keep a gun on Abby, and she pleads with them to take their friend to the ER, but they get her to provide them with a list of medical supplies, which prove to not be enough, in spite of Abby's effort to stitch up the guy as his heart gives out, and he dies. Before the death, Abby complains about needing to pee, so the driver drives their SUV into the woods, and has Abby go whizzing in the woods, with their flashlights on her while she's going her business, Abby was humilated, but kept her cool, just trying not to give them a reason to shoot her. After the death, the driver has Abby lie down in the backseat, and eventually Abby is returned to the ER, for which Abby is surprised, shocked, and she runs into the ER, perhaps grateful and will have all sort of issues to deal with in near future.

Susan and Weaver have a quick talk about leading the ER, and the challenges and the repurcussions from having to be tough and accept losing friendships. Susan was aghast, but probably comes around with it coming down to choices. She continues to call Abby's and get her answer machine, but leaves a message that leaves the door open to show concern for her, even if she's miffed about Abby going AWOL and leaving the ER short-handed.
Old 01-13-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yes, but did you like it?
Old 01-13-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Abby made it. So much for the happy ending.
Old 01-13-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Glad Abby made it back.

I can't stand Ray.

I like the continued appearances of Madchen Amick.

to the appearance of Laura Innes.
Old 01-14-05, 12:27 AM
Cool New Member

Good episode. There were some real intense moments with Abby, especially, when she's first being driven into the woods thinking they're going to shoot her.

Man, Maura Tierney can act. I always knew it but it really struck me in this one how good she is.

What is up with Carter. How come all of a sudden he can't be bothered to worry about Abby. Makes no sense. I know they're not together anymore but you'd think he'd show some concern. Even Neela and Susan showed more concern.
The guys got issues because they're no way he's moving on so fast with this blonde chick. It was like when he moved on too quick with that Makemba.
Strange.
Old 01-14-05, 09:35 AM

Too bad Abby couldn't have ended up like Tabby,

Madchen Amick is a great addition to the series.
Sadly she follows a long list of guest of actresses
that just do not have very good story lines.

For the life of me though, what the hell
is Sara Gilbert doing on this series????
Old 01-14-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Well, the Abby urination scene was...odd.
Yeah, and I was surprised that she was apparently able to 'perform'.
No bashful bladder for that girl.
Old 01-14-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mikehunt
abby got kidnapped by gang bangers in order to patch up their moron cousin who got shot by another gang
too bad all the gang banger fucks didn't die
Totally agree

Originally Posted by mikehunt
basically it was the annual "er's writers and producers want you to know how much they hate guns" episode
Looked like they had Berettas
Old 01-14-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Looked like they had Berettas
agreed
Old 01-14-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it was a great episode...1st show I've seen in a while.
Old 01-15-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think if I were Maura Tierney, I'd be submitting this episode to the Emmy's.
Old 01-15-05, 07:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I thought it was a good episode, mostly because of Maura. The tension they tried to build didn't really work becasue you knew she wasn't going to die.
Old 01-15-05, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
I thought it was a good episode, mostly because of Maura. The tension they tried to build didn't really work becasue you knew she wasn't going to die.

I agree. Maura Tierney's performance was great, but it wasn't as thrilling as it should have been because obviously she wasn't going to die. Overall a pretty good episode though.
Old 01-16-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I think if I were Maura Tierney, I'd be submitting this episode to the Emmy's.
I have come to accept over the past few years that she is never going to be recognized.