Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Switching Snappers to Amarays

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching Snappers to Amarays

Hey, I was wondering what the best way is to switch over all my dumb snappers to amaray cases. If anyone does this, do you just cut them down to size a bit or what? Just wanted some tips and info before i gave it a try.
Thanks!
Old 01-12-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seems like many people download the covers and print them out.

the cardboard does not fit well in the amaray cases.....even cut they look bad. lots of good custom cover art floating around. I'm sure some links will follow
Old 01-12-05, 10:38 PM
ams

First of all, there is a subforum for DVD covers and inserts...they will know the best answer.

http://daprogger.mine.nu/

(Click on "DVD covers" on the left side.)
I used this site for downloading DVD covers...they seem to have most movies that are sold in snappers. You can just print them out on your home printer. No need to resize them.

It was easy as hell, and looks good. I am sure it would look a lot better if you used photo paper, but I did not...still looks better than those damn snappers.
Old 01-13-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sadly I have a snapper of the second Austin Powers movie.

But I won't be switching it as it's signed by mini me.
Old 01-13-05, 09:20 AM

I just printed out a couple and it looks UGLY

Do I have to use some kid of special printing paper? Regular paper don't look great. What you guys use?
Old 01-13-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm still deciding on this. Printing on regular paper doesn't look good at all, regardless of printer. I than printed on non-glossy photo paper, which is slightly thicker and has a smoother surface, it looks much better but the blacks are not quite as dark as I was hoping. Lastly I tried the thick glossy photo paper which looks awesome - rich colors and deep blacks, but the drawbacks there are the cost, thickness of the paper, and it sticks to the dvd cover, causing some irregular patterns.

The other option is going and paying $1 for a color copy. (and upping the contrast and saturation)
Old 01-13-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, I was so distraught about the snappers on my DVD shelf, that I had to go to therapy.
Old 01-13-05, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by chess
yeah, I was so distraught about the snappers on my DVD shelf, that I had to go to therapy.

LOL, it is not worth it in my opinion. Snappers are alright, they not that bad. Just keep it in its original case....I printed out 3 for the DVDS that are missing a cover, its in a jewel case so I definitly need covers for them.
Old 01-13-05, 03:48 PM
ams

If you set the printing quality to "best", then lower the brightness level down one notch, you will get better results. I use regular quality paper...not photo paper. I am sure that it would look better with glossy paper, but I am completely happy with the results of normal printing paper. Plus it costs a fraction of the price of photo paper. This is a scan of one of my ex-snappers Dark City.

Old 01-13-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I too re-print all of my snappers and sliders so that they are all uniform on the shelf. I say go for it!
Old 01-13-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only one I ever felt the need to print a cover for an Amaray case is Pearl Harbor Director's Cut (because of those stupid pouches).

I just don't feel like wasting the photopaper and having to store all the empty snappers somewhere else.
Old 01-13-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
What I'm doing is cutting off the front cover and making that the insert. Rest of it goes in the trash.

Old 01-13-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ams
First of all, there is a subforum for DVD covers and inserts...they will know the best answer.

http://daprogger.mine.nu/

(Click on "DVD covers" on the left side.)
I used this site for downloading DVD covers...they seem to have most movies that are sold in snappers. You can just print them out on your home printer. No need to resize them.

It was easy as hell, and looks good. I am sure it would look a lot better if you used photo paper, but I did not...still looks better than those damn snappers.
What program do you use...what size do you make them...i tried one and it was way to big.
Old 01-14-05, 12:27 AM
ams

Originally Posted by Cameron
What program do you use...what size do you make them...i tried one and it was way to big.
I open it up in Paint. It is already formatted to the correct size.

First, use "image" to rotate it 90 degrees. Then use Page Setup to change the settings to 8.5 x 14 (legal) size. Lastly, change the left and right margin to .025. This should make them ready to print. Check print preview, and it should look good.
Old 01-14-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

looks like i need to get some legal size paper...cuts off just the edge on standard letter size paper
Old 01-14-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Lastly I tried the thick glossy photo paper which looks awesome - rich colors and deep blacks, but the drawbacks there are the cost, thickness of the paper, and it sticks to the dvd cover, causing some irregular patterns.
I have had excellent results with glossy photo paper, but you do need to allow it to dry for about a week before putting it in the keepcase.