Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just saw Electra and...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just saw Electra and...

Old 01-12-05, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw Electra and...

It wasn't very good, unfortunately. Not that I was expecting much from the trailers, but I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I didn't see Catwoman, so I can't say if its worse than that, but I did prefer both Daredevil and The Punisher to this movie. Fortunately it was a radio station sponsered sneak preview, so at least it was free.

Jennifer Garner is actually pretty good in the role, having more of a character than she was given in Daredevil. I also liked Terrance Stamp in the movie, but he only has a hand full of scenes. If you've seen the trailer, you basically know the whole movie. Maybe its just me, but the girl they cast as the teen that Electra has to save I found to be obnoxious. Its even more pronounced when later in the film she supposed to be a badass. There's so much suspension of disbelief required to watch this movie that it got on my nerves. Electra often dominates enemies more because of their sheer incompetance than anything else. The fights in the movie remind me of the kind of martial arts you used to see in Hollywood films before they started embracing (i.e. ripping off) Asian cinema in that they were very bland. There were a few cool bits involving the 5 superpowered villians sent after Electra partway though the movie (really just involving the giant black guy and the goth girl with deadly lips whose names escape me, the rest were lame), but the guy with the tattoos they keep showing in the ads was pointless and was creatively named "Tattoo". Anyway, that's my two cents.
Old 01-12-05, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worse than Daredevil AND punisher. Oh no! Thanks for the heads up, not that I really planned on seeing it.
Old 01-12-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it has a big fat 0%, with only ten reviews counted so far mind you. If anyone had any hope for this one in the first place then they were out of their mind.
Old 01-12-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I told you it sucks. and I'm usually kind to fox films.
Old 01-12-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm just mad that the trailer spoiled daredevil(even if it wasn't a major spoiler)
not that daredevil is high on my "to see" list, but I still will rent it at some point
Old 01-13-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Jack, you know you hate Marvel movies.....don't be frontin'.
Old 01-13-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by smirnoff
Worse than Daredevil AND punisher. Oh no! Thanks for the heads up, not that I really planned on seeing it.

Old 01-13-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But it looks extreme! How can it be bad?
Old 01-13-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
But it looks extreme! How can it be bad?
Old 01-13-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It definitely blows, the soundtrack was soooo bad, but I think it's WAY better than DD & Punisher, Punisher IMO is the worste comic book adaptation ever filmed & DD is a close second.

Typhoid Mary is OK in the movie, although I wish she had more line & Stamp makes anything better although not in it much. So at least those were two things going for it, not to mention it had Ninjas.

If DD or Punisher had ninjas & Terrence Stamp then both would be better movies. So based on that alone Elektra is better.

In fact, if every movie had ninjas & Terrence Stamp in it, they would be better movies.
Old 01-13-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the Punisher. Not a bad little mid-budget action flick...and the fight with the Russian was hilarious.
Old 01-13-05, 12:52 PM
Banned

This flick looks like a lot of fun. I'm a big DD/Elektra/Garner fan so I'm soooo there!

Who else is in total love with the DareDevil Director's Cut? I sure as hell am!
Old 01-13-05, 01:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
Who else is in total love with the DareDevil Director's Cut? I sure as hell am!

Not me.

Anyhoo, I'll go out on the limb here and say that I liked it. It's up there with THE PUNISHER for “strangest comic book adaptation ever,” but that’s most of the fun. It’s a distinctive movie.

Garner was great, the locations are unique to the genre, and the action wasn’t half-bad.

The only real problem is the story, for the production completely overdoes the mystical background hooey. The picture ends up confusing itself by the end. What the hell is “The Hand” anyway?

Still, it’s a good time. And if they wanted to get polar opposite distance from DAREDEVIL, well…mission accomplished. The two films are nothing alike.

I loved DAREDEVIL, and I liked ELEKTRA. So there.
Old 01-13-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess

I liked the Punisher. Not a bad little mid-budget action flick...and the fight with the Russian was hilarious.
Same here. I bought it and will watch it again. I think its along the same lines as Payback.
Old 01-13-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Not me.

Anyhoo, I'll go out on the limb here and say that I liked it. It's up there with THE PUNISHER for “strangest comic book adaptation ever,” but that’s most of the fun. It’s a distinctive movie.

Garner was great, the locations are unique to the genre, and the action wasn’t half-bad.

The only real problem is the story, for the production completely overdoes the mystical background hooey. The picture ends up confusing itself by the end. What the hell is “The Hand” anyway?

Still, it’s a good time. And if they wanted to get polar opposite distance from DAREDEVIL, well…mission accomplished. The two films are nothing alike.

I loved DAREDEVIL, and I liked ELEKTRA. So there.
does anyone know if fox forced cuts to the movie like daredevil? i see that the run time is 100 min exact.
Old 01-13-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

me too
granted I never read many of the comics, but I still thought it was a fairly good movie
Old 01-13-05, 04:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
does anyone know if fox forced cuts to the movie like daredevil? i see that the run time is 100 min exact.

I can't offer you proof, but I'm assuming so. The story is just way too disjointed in the release print.
Old 01-13-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
Punisher IMO is the worste comic book adaptation ever filmed & DD is a close second.
Worse than Howard the Duck??????
Old 01-13-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Worse than Howard the Duck??????
And Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four?
Old 01-13-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, make that 15 reviews at RT now, and the score is still a big fat 0%.
Old 01-13-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's getting beat by Racing Stripes, and that movie makes my head hurt just watching the commercial. I kinda sorta wanted to see Elektra, but now I'm thinking this'll be a good weekend to go see House of Flying Daggers.
Old 01-13-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
And Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four?

Absolutely, WAY worse. That FF movie was ultra low budget, it didn't even have distribution. Nothing can be expected from that movie except that it will be bad.

The Punisher had a huge budget, & millions in advertising. At least to me, I know not most, that raises the standards & when you get a movie that costs $80+ with advertising & nothing but a cliche turd that has been made countless times before without one ounce of creativity that makes it worse than the Corman flick. And what makes it WAY worse is that at least they could have gotten a someone decent to play the Punisher. I think Dolf (sp?) was an awesome Punisher, he giant of a man that you believe could enter a room & intimate every person in there without doing a thing. Thomase Jane looked like he was going to cry every scene.

And However the Duck rules. It's Howard the F'n Duck, not Batman, what more could one really expect out of the movie. It's a live action film about a talking Duck.
Old 01-13-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Punisher only cost about $30 Million to make, which is not exactly what I'd call a huge budget these days. It actually cost less than Howard the Duck.
Old 01-13-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(sigh.)

A FILM'S COST DOES NOT EQUAL A FILM'S QUALITY.

I'm just sick to death of people defending a film because "it cost ONLY $45 million to make", or some variation.

That is all! Continue...
Old 01-13-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It was a great movie. I'm sick of people raggin' it. It was pretty much just like Ennis' first run, but different enough so that people wouldn't say, "Seen it," halfway through the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.