Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the creators of Ragnarok, a new MMORPG

R.O.S.E Online
Rush On Seven Episodes
Linkage: http://www.roseon.com

Ok, title aside, Gravity and TriggerSoft have a new MMORPG in open beta. Just like RO its uber cute but unlike RO its in a complete 3-D enviroment.
There are 5 character classes Visitor(novice), Muse(mage), Soldier, Hawker and Dealer(merchant). Each class (cept visitor) has 2 branches to chose from once 2nd job level is achieved.

There are supose to be 7 planets you can travel to and from via airship but right now I believe only 2 are available. The game itself its damn fine looking:

The client download is about 300MB and slow as crap. So far there doesn't seem to be any mirrors (at least that I can find) I would say the game is about half complete because there are still some server crashes, game glitches and engrish all over the place.

Right now its free but I assume like RO it will go P2P eventually (maye 6 months to a year)
I'm on Casio, Server 3, in game name is Azupah.

Last edited by squidget; 01-12-05 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-12-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've played it.. this game really sucks.
Old 01-12-05, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I've played it.. this game really sucks.
What about did you not like? I've only played for a few hours last night and so far its pretty standard; I'm running around on newbie shores killing cute butterflies.
Old 01-12-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by squidget
What about did you not like? I've only played for a few hours last night and so far its pretty standard; I'm running around on newbie shores killing cute butterflies.
Well.. the game practically plays itself. You just point and click where you want to go, and your character automatically walks to that point. You want to fight a monster? Just point and click on it, your character will automatically walk to it, then automatically kill it. The game itself feels overall VERY slow and sluggish.. almost as if things are slowed down to get you to spend more time on it reaching whatever goal you may have. The graphics are pretty ugly, the models and world look like first generation Playstation or Saturn graphics, only at high resolution (which does help, a bit). The game runs on a 3D engine, but takes no advantage of this during the character creation process. Every character is the exact same size and you can't change your hair color (the colors are stuck to which model they belong to). The English on the game is so bad it's really hard to learn anything from the game's helper NPCs. The English is so bad, during the patch update it says "Please wait a mimute!" and what I'm guessing was the Sit skill was labeled as "Shit." The text is hard as hell to read, and in such a small window of the game it's really hard to see if when your getting an actual message since this is the same spot where the game text is displayed (gaining experience, money, items). The music and sound effects are painful to the ear. The music is about a 30 second clips that loops endlessly and the sound effects don't blend together, they clip each other off (ie: if one sound effect starts before another finishes, the previous one just cuts off).

I may give it another chance.. but my first impressions were pretty dismal. The biggest thing to me was the lack of control over your character.. I hated it. I like being able to have control of my character in these types of games (Phantasy Star Online or Maple Story). I like being able to attack when and where I want to and be able to actively move around and dodge attacks.
Old 01-12-05, 12:26 PM

I did discover the lack of ability to stop attacking a monster. That was pretty annoying and hopefully it will be fixed soon. I'm hoping in the end this will be a like RO because I really did have fun playing that. I'll give it a few more days and see how it goes.

btw, the guides on the main site suck and are barely translated. For more info about the game, characters or players strategies go to gamefaqs.com or 7hearts.net/forums

Last edited by squidget; 01-12-05 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-12-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can stop attacking a monster, just click somewhere on the map and you'll starting moving towards that spot. The problem is that the monster will follow you and attack as you are moving away.. until you turn around and kill it anyways.
Old 01-12-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, another thing. Every time I've gotten on to play, the game takes 20 minutes to update and patch itself. I know it's in beta and all.. but man that's excessive especially after downloading the 300MB file at dial up speeds.
Old 01-12-05, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
You can stop attacking a monster, just click somewhere on the map and you'll starting moving towards that spot. The problem is that the monster will follow you and attack as you are moving away.. until you turn around and kill it anyways.

I tried that last night cause that seem logical and it didn't work. I actually had to disconnect. Some new wierd glitch I dunno.
In regards to the patch/update taking 20 min, I only had to do that the 1st time. Afterwards, it was a lot quicker to login.
Old 01-12-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My plays have been spread apart, so it's likely that if they're adding or changing to it each day, I just had more to update when I played. I think I first got it before or around Christmas when it was being talked about all over some Maple boards. Honestly I don't even think it's worth another try from me. While I'm sure there's much of the game being worked on improved, I'm pretty damn certain the main interface (aka complete lack of control over your character) will remain as it is.

The whole "point-and-click" thing reminds me of Diablo, except Diablo was like 100 times faster and a bit more fun.