DVD Talk
Can I deposit an expiring check? Ever cash a rebate check after the exp. date? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Can I deposit an expiring check? Ever cash a rebate check after the exp. date?

logrus9
01-11-05, 07:51 PM
I finally found a check I misplaced. It's marked void if not cashed within 90 days. Tomorrow is day 89, if I deposit the check and it takes a few days to clear will it be rejected?

X
01-11-05, 07:54 PM
I deposit rebate checks past their expiration all the time. My bank doesn't read the fine print and they clear.

logrus9
01-12-05, 06:41 PM
I deposited it this morning, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

candyrocket786
01-12-05, 06:43 PM
I finally found a check I misplaced. It's marked void if not cashed within 90 days. Tomorrow is day 89, if I deposit the check and it takes a few days to clear will it be rejected?

Depends if the payor has not close it's account.....but I think you're ok.

Tracer Bullet
01-12-05, 08:57 PM
If I recall correctly, a payor can't change the terms of a check by printing new terms on it, such as "void after 90 days".

fiver
01-13-05, 04:07 AM
A payor can't limit the time in which a check can be cashed. The only exception to this I've encountered is tax refund checks. Generally, if a tax refund check hasn't been cashed in a year, the gov will just tack that amount onto the following year's refund. But standard product rebate checks are just fine.

Hope that helps
Michael

atlantamoi
01-30-05, 03:26 PM
Well la dee fricken' da. I lost a $50 rebate check a couple of months ago and the stupid thing magically shows up today 13 days after the void date.
I feel like trying to cash it anyway and see what happens. Total waste of time?

Sloth911
01-30-05, 06:52 PM
Well la dee fricken' da. I lost a $50 rebate check a couple of months ago and the stupid thing magically shows up today 13 days after the void date.
or a waste of a $20 bounced check fee!

naughty jonny
01-30-05, 07:09 PM
Did your cheque clear logrus9?

atlantamoi
01-30-05, 07:12 PM
or a waste of a $20 bounced check fee! Hmmm, good point. I bounced my OWN checks from lack of funds back in college two times (20 years ago). But I've never tried to cash one past the void like this. I guess it would make sense there's a fee if they catch it.

The Cow
01-30-05, 07:20 PM
or a waste of a $20 bounced check fee!
:confused: You shouldn't get a bounced check fee unless it was "against" your account (your own check). If you do, then you need a new bank.

greg9x
01-30-05, 07:24 PM
I just deposited a check from work that I had misplaced.. it had the 'void after 180 day' thing on it but it's been a year, so far it looks like it's cleared.

Sloth911
01-30-05, 07:36 PM
:confused: You shouldn't get a bounced check fee unless it was "against" your account (your own check). If you do, then you need a new bank.
This is an INCORRECT statement. Banks will charge you a fee if you deposit any check and it bounces. How else would they deter people from depositing bad checks?

My BM bank Commerce charges a $25 fee.

From their disclosures:
Netbank: "Deposited Check (or any item) Returned Unpaid $20.00"
Virtual Bank: "Chargeback - return deposit fee: $15.00"

I agree, it is BS that the customer suffers the lose, but that is how it works. I bet your bank does the same thing, even if you don't realize it.

NOTE: I am not saying the MIR check will bounce, I am saying if it does you will be charged a fee.

The reality is that if you deposit it, especially with certain MAC/ATM machines, it will probably be processed electronically where the machine reads the funning looking routing/account number, as long as the account has money in it, you will be fine.

I just depostied a MIR with my last name mispelled (three letters of 7 were incorrect) with no problem. I also deposited a MIR i received after i returned an item and deposited that with no problem.

The Cow
01-30-05, 08:16 PM
This is an INCORRECT statement. Banks will charge you a fee if you deposit any check and it bounces. How else would they deter people from depositing bad checks?
My bank charges if I try to overwithdrawl, but does not if it is against another person (they will inquire and investigate, if needed, but they don't charge me). KeyBank is my checking account.

Sloth911
01-30-05, 09:00 PM
Ok... I am still skeptical and probably will be until i see the fee schedule myself. It stops people from depositing checks that maybe bad which in turn costs the bank money and time to deal with.

Tracer Bullet
01-30-05, 09:15 PM

Expiration dates on checks aren't valid.

Deftones
01-30-05, 09:59 PM

My BM bank Commerce charges a $25 fee.

From their disclosures:
Netbank: "Deposited Check (or any item) Returned Unpaid $20.00"
Virtual Bank: "Chargeback - return deposit fee: $15.00"

I agree, it is BS that the customer suffers the lose, but that is how it works. I bet your bank does the same thing, even if you don't realize it.

NOTE: I am not saying the MIR check will bounce, I am saying if it does you will be charged a fee.

The reality is that if you deposit it, especially with certain MAC/ATM machines, it will probably be processed electronically where the machine reads the funning looking routing/account number, as long as the account has money in it, you will be fine.

I just depostied a MIR with my last name mispelled (three letters of 7 were incorrect) with no problem. I also deposited a MIR i received after i returned an item and deposited that with no problem.

And your statement isn't exactly correct. If you deposit the check w/o taking the funds, they won't credit the amount until it's determined that the check can cover it.

atlantamoi
02-01-05, 09:18 AM
Deposited the check yesterday at an ATM and it's showing up as a credit on my account today. I guess it worked. I'll check again a couple of times in the next few days to see if that has changed.

nemein
02-01-05, 09:30 AM
This is an INCORRECT statement. Banks will charge you a fee if you deposit any check and it bounces.

Back in college one time I had a roommate who would frequently write me bad checks :( One time, since we had the same bank, I asked at the counter (before filling out a deposit slip) whether or not there was enough money in the account to cover it. There wasn't and the bank charges both of us a NSF fee -ohbfrank-

DVD Polizei
02-01-05, 09:46 AM
Logrus9,

The date on the deposit slip is what normally everyone means by "deposit by date". Day 89 is just fine. Day 90 is also fine--but is certainly pushing it to the limits.

However, be sure you have the deposit slip to back this up as there is potential to have a problem. I kind of doubt it but it could happen if you have a stingy company who doesn't like giving out rebates.

greg9x,

You misplaced a paycheck? Damn, I wish I could do that! :)

heimerSWT
02-01-05, 10:29 AM
Back in college one time I had a roommate who would frequently write me bad checks :( One time, since we had the same bank, I asked at the counter (before filling out a deposit slip) whether or not there was enough money in the account to cover it. There wasn't and the bank charges both of us a NSF fee -ohbfrank-
That's ridiculous.

Minor Threat
02-01-05, 10:31 AM
I constantly turn in Pinecone research checks months after the expiration date, I've never had a problem with them not clearing.....

Otto
02-01-05, 12:07 PM
The first time a bank did this to me would be the last time, as I'd close all my accounts with them and change banks within about half a second, and make damn sure that they knew why.

Don't ever take this kind of shit from your bank. Accepting it only encourages them to continue doing it.

Tracer Bullet
02-01-05, 12:13 PM
The first time a bank did this to me would be the last time, as I'd close all my accounts with them and change banks within about half a second, and make damn sure that they knew why.

Don't ever take this kind of shit from your bank. Accepting it only encourages them to continue doing it.

I totally agree. I had an account with WSFS with very little money in it, which I left open when I moved to England. I bought something from an American website, so I decided to use that card. The transaction bounced, which was my fault, but they preceeded to charge me THREE DOLLARS A DAY (on top of the fee, which was $29) because I was overdrawn.

I made sure they knew why I was closing my account.

atlantamoi
02-08-05, 03:15 PM
Well, my $50 rebate check was denied by the bank that issued the check. And my charged me a $5.00 fee. Oh well. The rebate cost me money :)

X
02-08-05, 03:21 PM
I've never had that happen!

I would go after the bank that denied the check and tell them they can't put a time limit on it like that. Maybe the company whose rebate it was closed the account. If so, I'd go after them. Who was it?

pcalvert
02-21-05, 06:25 PM
Well, my $50 rebate check was denied by the bank that issued the check. And my charged me a $5.00 fee. Oh well. The rebate cost me money :)

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Did you make a copy of the check? Could you tell us what bank issued the check? That way others will know not to try depositing checks from that bank that are past the void date.

I always thought that checks were good for at least 6 months. I've even heard of people cashing/depositing checks that were several years old without a problem. Maybe the account that your check was written against was closed for some reason.

Phil