Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ferret's Weekly Movie Discussion: M.Hulot's Holiday

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been seeing a lot of movies lately that are deemed classics, and some of which i agree. But these movies don't have much acknowledgement on these boards. So i thought it'd be interesting to start a movie discussion on random movies i see that aren't very talked about.

So recently i saw Jaque Tati's M.Hulot's Holiday. I checked it out after seeing how much Ebert loves Tati. It was very low-key, almost a silent movie. It never made me laugh, but it did put a smile on my face a couple of times. I have to say, i didn't enjoy myself that much, but i have a suprising urge to watch it again. Weird. A bit dissapointing, the humor just made everyone to appear stupid at times and made me wish i was there to go and slap some sense into these people. Overall, dissapointing, but not too bad, wouldn't mind checking it out again.

Anyone have any thoughts on the movie? Or even Tati in general?
Old 01-10-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I see what you are saying, I wouldn't say the films disappointed me.
I have this dvd, but have never watched it. I am going to have to pop it in and check it out.
I have seen Mon Oncle and Playtime though. I don't remember laughing out loud, but I do remember having a smle on my face for long periods of time. I actually enjoy movies that do that, it doesn't give bursts of comedy, but a continuous stream of low key comedy. I remember being puzzled when a professor called Playtime slapstick. I thought it was more innovative comedy, always finding a new way to make me laugh, like when the doorknob comes off in Playtime, or the house in mon oncle at night.

This is coming off the top of my head, I haven't really thought this through, but they kinda remind me of Wes Anderson Films. The royal tennenbaums was really funny in a low key, sweet way, but I know no one else in my circle of friends that enjoyed it. (I do have a friend who enjoyed the Life Aquatic, but hated Tennenbaums. That puzzles me.) His films are definitely weird/unique movies, with no set genre to place them in, much like tati's.

Last edited by ivelostr2; 01-10-05 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When my son was 5 I introduced him to Tati films. He was and is enamoured with Mon Oncle. I guess it's because he can relate to Gerard. He laughs so hard he can hardly breathe. The lamppost betting game, the house, the factory, the modern kitchen, et al all set him off. M Hulot's Holiday is too "wordy" for him. He also "gets" the sight gags in Playtime. But Mon Oncle is definitely the best and most rewatchable.

I for one can't wait for the much rumored release of Traffic. It's been close to 25 years since I've seen it.
Old 01-11-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts
I've seen M. Hulot's Holiday in the theater. By the time the kitchen door made a funny noise, the crowd was roaring. Comedies really do work better when watched with other people.

M. Hulot does improve with multiple watching. You realize that there is no plot, nothing is going to happen, and nothing anybody does will have any consequence. Once you get that under your belt, you can relax and enjoy the stream of silliness.

Am I the only person who didn't like Playtime? The whole first section in the modernistic building seemed harsh and cold to me. It dragged on and on. The movie only made me laugh once the scene shifted to the restaurant.
Old 01-11-05, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I've seen M. Hulot's Holiday in the theater. By the time the kitchen door made a funny noise, the crowd was roaring. Comedies really do work better when watched with other people.

M. Hulot does improve with multiple watching. You realize that there is no plot, nothing is going to happen, and nothing anybody does will have any consequence. Once you get that under your belt, you can relax and enjoy the stream of silliness.

Am I the only person who didn't like Playtime? The whole first section in the modernistic building seemed harsh and cold to me. It dragged on and on. The movie only made me laugh once the scene shifted to the restaurant.
I always thought the point of the beginning of Playtime was the coldness of the modern world. people are so close in proximity, but disconnected; the technology was what was keeping them apart.

My fiance and I drove to Chicago to see it in August. She isn't a film buff, and won't usually watch older films with me. She said she enjoyed it. The setting was awesome though, the theater had a guy playing the organ up front before the film, and was set up like an old time theater. It did make the whole experience more enjoyable.

Last edited by ivelostr2; 01-11-05 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-11-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger

That was the whole point to Playtime. The Paris of old is gone and was replaced by the "modern" world. It's almost as if Tati knew that Joni Mitchell was going to write Yellow Taxi ("They paved paradise and put up a parking lot").

Some critic, it may have been Ebert or maybe I read it in the liner notes of one of CC dvds, noted that Tati's films show the progression of the modernization of France. Holiday shows the quaint France of old. Mon Oncle spans old and modern. Hulot lives in the old, his sister in the modern. And Playtime shows the complete transition of Paris into the new modern (and impersonal, sterile according to Tati) world.
Old 01-11-05, 10:09 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I haven't seen it, but I just added it to my Netflix queue. I've only seen Playtime which was absolutely wonderful, especially projected in 70mm.
Old 01-11-05, 02:05 PM

I want to check out Playtime/Mon Oncle now. Strange thing with me and a lot of movies is, i feel like i don't know what to think of them, and then as time passes i slowly start to gain appreciation, also wanting see it again. Good examples being Fellini movies and not too long ago, L'Avventura. No idea why certain movies have this effect on me.
Old 01-11-05, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find the movie to be totally charming. It is just so...there. It doesn't have lofty artistic goals or points to put across, it is just an expression of the joys of being alive. I find myself revisiting it often.

I liked Mon Oncle, but it is Holiday that has a special place in my heart. I haven't seen any other Tati films yet but am looking forward to them.
Old 01-11-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Ferret
I want to check out Playtime/Mon Oncle now. Strange thing with me and a lot of movies is, i feel like i don't know what to think of them, and then as time passes i slowly start to gain appreciation, also wanting see it again. Good examples being Fellini movies and not too long ago, L'Avventura. No idea why certain movies have this effect on me.
I would suggest watching them in order. You've already seen Holiday so rent Mon Oncle next then Playtime. In that order you will better understand the moderization aspect.

Regarding Fellini, 8 1/2, as well asLa Strada, without a doubt takes multiple viewings in order to truely appreciate it.

Last edited by garolo; 01-11-05 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by garolo
I would suggest watching them in order. You've already seen Holiday so rent Mon Oncle next then Playtime. In that order you will better understand the moderization aspect.
Will do. In fact, they only had Mon Oncle at the video store... I think since Platime is OOP they don't have it. Too bad, all the other rental stores around me are just big companies like Blockbuster and Roger's. They never have anything old, let alone foreign.
Old 01-11-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Ferret
Will do. In fact, they only had Mon Oncle at the video store... I think since Platime is OOP they don't have it. Too bad, all the other rental stores around me are just big companies like Blockbuster and Roger's. They never have anything old, let alone foreign.
Don't worry, Playtime is due to be rereleased soon.