TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Carnivále Season Premiere - 1/9/05 - "Los Moscos"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-05, 02:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnivále Season Premiere - 1/9/05 - "Los Moscos"

"Los Moscos"
Brother Justin spreads his radio message; Management urges Ben to find his father; Rev. Balthus is stricken ill; Lila worries about Lodz's whereabouts.

The pace is really going to pick up this season, people don't understand that it was just a prologue last season. And stuff did happen.
Old 01-09-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hboafficionado
"Los Moscos"
Brother Justin spreads his radio message; Management urges Ben to find his father; Rev. Balthus is stricken ill; Lila worries about Lodz's whereabouts.

The pace is really going to pick up this season, people don't understand that it was just a prologue last season. And stuff did happen.
I cant wait. Last season was just fine with me. If I enjoy the characters I dont need earth shattering events to happen every episode. But like you said plenty did happen.
Old 01-09-05, 10:24 PM

I thought it was fantastic. They really are picking up the pace and the previews for next weeks episode makes it appear that it will continue.
Old 01-09-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Did carenval just supply us with a plot point?...OMG!

Atom bomb, huh?

Please dont let this be a lame anti-nuclear thing.
Old 01-09-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
The atomic bomb thing has been there since the first episode, when, during Samson's narration, he mentioned [going from memory] man trading wonder for reason when he exploded a false sun over Trinity. Apparently, that event is the point where man abandoned religion and superstition for science and reason, the end of the old age. Sort of like the Elves leaving Middle Earth.

I was actually a bit surprised at just how much happened tonight, and how much was revealed. Makes me wonder what's in store for the next eleven episodes.
Old 01-09-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, I was knocked back by how much was said and done. Great episode! I truly have to see it again to soak it in.

The preview at the end was for the season wasnt it? Because it said "on the next chapter" not episode. And if thats the next ep, thats a TON of info thats going to happen as well.

So management is Russian, like Justin and Iris... Management says that Scudder is to him what Justin is to Ben... and EVERYONE wants Scudder brought to them. Looks like Managment is suppose to be good while Scudder bad. For some reason Bens name wasnt listed after Scudders in the book.

One thing I question, why would that guy give Justin all that info? Its like Justin is suppose to be good. Of course Im just thinking these Rhetoric questions and I cant wait to see what happens next! But shit do I hate having to wait to see one episode a week.
Old 01-10-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they showed us which characters were supposed to be good and which were evil at the start of the episode and then just turned it around in mid-episode and then again at the end of the episode just to confuse us more. Not that that's a bad thing...
I don't think anything can be taken for what it's worth right now.

Last edited by Burnt Alive; 01-10-05 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-10-05, 01:37 AM

Tonight's episode was probably the best of the series. Clancy Brown deserves some acknowledgement for his role. Every time he comes on screen, a smile comes across my face. He could make drinking apple juice seem evil. My favorite part of last season was when they began using the radio to extend their reach. I'm happy that's a more prevalent issue this season.
Old 01-10-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Theres nothing creepier than old-timey gospel radio
Old 01-10-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whadaya suppose Management meant when he told Samson not to let Ben set foot in his trailer again cause he "tempts me"?

So are we to assume that two main characters, Prof. Lodz and Sophie's catatonic mother are both dead and gone forever?
Old 01-10-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Theres nothing creepier than old-timey gospel radio
Except for TBN.
Old 01-10-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Whadaya suppose Management meant when he told Samson not to let Ben set foot in his trailer again cause he "tempts me"?
From the previews:
Spoiler:
it shows Ben healing him, so I'm pretty sure thats what management is tempted to have Ben do.
Old 01-10-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Did Ben & Samson dump Lodz's body in the same place where Justin wants to build his temple?
Old 01-10-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenny79
Did Ben & Samson dump Lodz's body in the same place where Justin wants to build his temple?
I think the carnies are still somewhere in the southwest (western Texas?), and Justin is in California. Remember, Ben went to the same Templar place that he did a few episodes back.
And, Ben would have noticed the tree.

Last edited by Burnt Alive; 01-10-05 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Burnt Alive
Except for TBN.
Whats TBN?
Old 01-10-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Whats TBN?
www.TBN.org

Old 01-10-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I hadn't rewatched any Season 1 episodes since the finale aired (so I was very happy at their thorough previously on to refresh my memory) and I didn't realize how much I missed the show. And as everyone has said, I was shocked at how much was revealed and how much quicker the pace is.

Does anyone know if this show is on a limited run? Management kept talking about the time is getting near, so if time is running out so rapidly, how much longer can the show last?

As much as I really love the show, I wouldn't mind if the show ended this season, so long as there is a satisfying conclusion to the story. The speed of the story certainly indicates to me that the Ben/Justin storyline shouldn't take more than three total seasons to wrap up. I just can't see them sustaining that aspect of the story into a Season 4, but who knows what lies ahead?
Old 01-10-05, 09:06 PM

I also noticed that not only was the pacing faster, but there was more focus on Brother Justin in this episode. In the first season the carnie stuff was about 2/3 of the episode, but it looks like the Brother Justin storyline is getting more screen time this season, which is awesome.
Old 01-10-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dude, Davey and Goliath rockes!
Old 01-10-05, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
So management is Russian, like Justin and Iris... Management says that Scudder is to him what Justin is to Ben... and EVERYONE wants Scudder brought to them. Looks like Managment is suppose to be good while Scudder bad. For some reason Bens name wasnt listed after Scudders in the book.
The book is for those who are evil, thus Ben would not be listed? Remember the Book Guy cut Justin hand and the result was
Spoiler:
regular blood and the vision justin had the tattoo man sliced his hand it was blue and if that was Scudder it would have meant he was the Profit and once Justin killed him he would have the blue blood and be the new profit.

Some other thoughts I had on this was that:
Scudder=Benand Sophie's(tattoo man raped appolonia) Dad?
Scudder=Bad and Kids=Good

Management(Lucious)=Justin and Iris' Dad ---all Russian
Management(Lucious)=Good and Kids=Bad
Old 01-10-05, 09:49 PM

Nole, I share your suppositions. To be honest though, I'm still not sure who the tree-tattooed guy is. Him being Scudder would make sense, and then there is a brother-sister combo on both the good and the evil side.
Old 01-10-05, 09:56 PM

THe only problem I have with my assumptions is it may make sense, and I have not been able to make sense of this show since ep 1.
Old 01-10-05, 09:58 PM

Now that's funny.

I was baffled most of season 1, though I was also thoroughly entertained. I like that the pay-off is finally allowing the viewer to understand what is going on. I believe that'll pull us in and connect us with the characters and story even more.
Old 01-10-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scudder and the tattooed man are not the same person. They're even played by different actors!

Last edited by Burnt Alive; 01-11-05 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 11:39 PM

I think we all realize that they aren't the same actor. Perhaps Scudder changes himself within the dreams, perhaps the tattooed man is the representation of evil that never changes and Scudder was the representative avatar during the last battle.

The Russian soldier and the voice of management aren't played by the same actor. Heck, the voice of management is a woman (Linda Hunt of Dune fame).

I'm not saying that Scudder is the tattooed man, but we're discussing that it's a possibility.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.