Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to the John Carpenter soundtracks?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-09-05, 12:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I see that most of the John Carpenter soundtracks are Out of Print. Are these scheduled for rerelease in the near future?

Big Trouble in Little China
Escape From New York
Halloween
The Thing

I've been looking for Big Trouble in Little China. New versions of the Thing and Escape from New York would be also be nice.
Old 01-09-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
They re-released The Fog a couple years ago, so the others might be re-released someday.
Old 01-10-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
An expanded edition of Escape from New York was released a few years ago. You can get it at Footlight Records. Big Trouble in Little China has been long OOP.
Old 01-10-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Halloween 20th Anniversary Edition

The Fog (New Edition)

Escape From New York (Expanded Edition From Footlight)

No such luck with Big Trouble in Little China or The Thing.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 01-10-05 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-20-05, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take it there isn't any true "Best of John Carpenter" CD's out there? The only ones I have seen appear to be performed by someone else and are not the original versions.
Old 11-20-05, 12:00 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The original DVD release of THE THING has the complete isolated score and, from what a little bird once told me, there are ways of getting such things over to CD...
Old 11-20-05, 12:36 PM

While looking around I was surprised to find out that Carpenter did not do the music for The Thing...it was by Ennio Morricone. I'm sure that's old news to Carpenter fans...but just in case anyone is searching for the CD (new or used) by composer.
Old 11-20-05, 12:56 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, it's one of those "did Spielberg really direct POLTERGEIST" things...Carpenter kept pressuring Morricone to deliver the kind of minimalist synth score Carpenter himself always makes, and allegedly wrote most of the music himself after Morricone's offerings didn't match what he was after, so when you hear the score on the DVD, it's very clear what little part Morricone got away with, and what large part Carpenter wrote/influenced. In every meaningful sense, THE THING is a Carpenter score.
Old 11-20-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I have heard the older Halloween sountrack release - and there is this extra thumping noise going on in the main title track, which to my knowledge isn't in the film version. Anyone know why this is and if it's the same in the newer release? From reading the reviews at Amazon it looks like it also contains dialogue in the tracks - too bad.
Old 11-21-05, 01:05 AM

Yeah, I had it too on LP LONG ago. It was a bass drum. VERY silly...