Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pertaining to "suspending disbelief" while watching movies..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its really not that hard for me to do, I dont care how ridiculous a movie is. However..

there are a few movies which... man, I just had a hard as hell time doing it. I swear the movie makers just threw this shit in to piss me off. Here they are:

1. Jedi.. when the ewoks are knocking out stormtroopers throwing rocks.
2. FOTR.. at the end when the two hobbits are knocking out orcs throwing rocks.

??????

Everything else I can excuse.. but a movie like FOTR with so much time and money used to create, why this?? Why couldn't those two hobbits have just stood there, watching? Why did they have to start throwing rocks, small ones, mind you, and killing huge orcs?
Old 01-08-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the idea that you can believe in ewoks and hobbits without questioning it worries me
Old 01-08-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Considering that these films didn't show orcs or stormtroopers dying because of rocks, instead just quick shots of them getting hit and falling over, I'm not sure what's so hard to suspecd your disbelief about. They throw rocks, someone falls over. Perhaps they wouldn't completely fall over and just stumble, but who really cares. We're talking a few couple second shots.
Old 01-08-05, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
the idea that you can believe in ewoks and hobbits without questioning it worries me

Yeah i see what you mean though. Recently my dad said he had problems suspending his disbelief watching The Aviator. Since he was around when all these stars were it was hard to watch these caricatures of them. No problem for me though!

Edit: except Katherine Hepburn, she was a bit much for me, not to say that Blanchette didn't do a great job. The problem was she played her so well...

Last edited by The Ferret; 01-08-05 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-08-05, 01:47 AM

Ewoks and hobbits must obey, along with their thrown projectiles, the laws of simple gravity.

Some things, like fucking gravity, can't be ignored.

WHY DID THESE ORCS FALL OVER FROM PEBBLES THROWN BY HOBBITS? I challenge anyone to provide a logical answer.
Old 01-08-05, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Ferret

Yeah i see what you mean though. Recently my dad said he had problems suspending his disbelief watching The Aviator. Since he was around when all these stars were it was hard to watch these caricatures of them. No problem for me though!

Edit: except Katherine Hepburn, she was a bit much for me, not to say that Blanchette didn't do a great job. The problem was she played her so well...
How you go from Ewoks to Hepburn worries me, my friend.
Old 01-08-05, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chill Pill
Ewoks and hobbits must obey, along with their thrown projectiles, the laws of simple gravity.

Some things, like fucking gravity, can't be ignored.

WHY DID THESE ORCS FALL OVER FROM PEBBLES THROWN BY HOBBITS? I challenge anyone to provide a logical answer.
You are reading too much into the action on screen. I just watched that scene over again, and I don't see one Orc get knocked out or even fall over from the rocks thrown by Merry and Pippen. They are throwing rocks, and you just inferred that they knocked some Orcs over.

As for the Ewoks, they weren't really throwing pebbles themselves, they were dropping close to head-sized rocks on the stormtroopers. Anyone would fall over from that.

You seem to be getting worked up over nothing.
Old 01-08-05, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
You are reading too much into the action on screen. I just watched that scene over again, and I don't see one Orc get knocked out or even fall over from the rocks thrown by Merry and Pippen. They are throwing rocks, and you just inferred that they knocked some Orcs over.

As for the Ewoks, they weren't really throwing pebbles themselves, they were dropping close to head-sized rocks on the stormtroopers. Anyone would fall over from that.

You seem to be getting worked up over nothing.
"getting worked up over nothing" is my middle name.

I love these movies as much as anyone, don't get me wrong.

I just finished watching FOTR, and the hobbits would throw rocks, next shot I see orcs getting hit with rocks and falling over. I dunno, maybe those rocks fell from the sky.

And those damn ewoks must be pretty strong lil' sonsabitches to be able to pick up and throw them huge boulders like peanuts...
Old 01-08-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"getting worked up over nothing" is my middle name.

I love these movies as much as anyone, don't get me wrong.

I just finished watching FOTR, and the hobbits would throw rocks, next shot I see orcs getting hit with rocks and falling over. I dunno, maybe those rocks fell from the sky.

And those damn ewoks must be pretty strong lil' sonsabitches to be able to pick up and throw them huge boulders like peanuts...
OK, apparently you were watching the EE, which does have this. At this point, I don't know what to tell you. You seem intent on not suspending your disbelief regarding this, so what is the point of arguing with you.
Old 01-08-05, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I dunno. Ever get hit with a rock? It freaking hurts.
Old 01-08-05, 02:49 AM

Three points.

1. Hobbits are reknowned for their rock-throwing.
2. The ewoks were, as noted, dropping some pretty large rocks.
3. Momentum equals mass times velocity. A small rock thrown fast will knock a person over just the same as a larger rock thrown slower, due to the conservation of momentum.
Old 01-08-05, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Duder
Three points.

3. Momentum equals mass times velocity. A small rock thrown fast will knock a person over just the same as a larger rock thrown slower, due to the conservation of momentum.
This is good stuff, Duder. I guess if I want an explanation bad enough I can make it work.

But still...
Old 01-08-05, 05:43 AM
Banned

Peregrin Took and Meriadoc Brandybuck are the two physically strongest halflings in the Shire. Tolkien details in the Book One chapter 'A Conspiracy Unmasked' how a year prior to the four hobbits meeting in Crickhollow, Merry and Pippin placed first and second place respectively in the Shot Put competition at the Hobbiton Olympics, throwing the hardest and the furthest out of all of the hobbits in the Shire. Pippin even screams a declarative "O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!" before each of his throws, evocing the name of one of the mighty Valar of Middle-Earth. It's Chapter Five if you want to look it up.
Old 01-08-05, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Honestly I know what he is saying in general. That is the problem with any story when there is only a handful of good guys against an unending number of bad guys. You just have to suspend disbelief. Even when they use a sword some of the orcs seem to drop from paper cuts. And how can storm trooper have all this armor and still be killed so easily, and be such bad shots. Basically the good guys have the cards stacked in their favor.
Old 01-08-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
1. When the Ewoks are... throwing rocks.
2. When the two hobbits are... throwing rocks.
Is it just the idea that rocks can be thrown that you can't wrap your head around?
Old 01-08-05, 07:35 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I've heard it said a rule in screenplays (or stories in general) is that you can expect the audience to accept the impossible but not the improbable. For instance, you can have a man fly but you can't have him open a safe by accidentally happening across the combination by accident.
Old 01-08-05, 08:04 AM
Banned

Three points.

Three points.

Two more points:

As far as the Hobbit's go: Critical Hit and a secondary roll of 20 (Oh YEAH!). Critical shot to the toe.

As far as Ewoks: Stormtrooper armor was ornamental to the point of being detrimental. I love the angry bumblebee look, but if it cant stop a goddamned jedi mind trick, what good is it in combat? The same must have applied to their ordinance. Aesthetically well designed, but mass (and cheaply) produced.

I am not actually a “strong geek/weak nerd”, but I have played one on TV
Old 01-08-05, 08:42 AM
Banned

P.S.) Back on Subject:

I think that most humans would not be able to watch “Point of No Return” for more then ten minutes at a time. That whole movie is my personal “Unwatchable Scene” The Max Fischer version of Le Femme Nikita without the humor.
Old 01-08-05, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I've heard it said a rule in screenplays (or stories in general) is that you can expect the audience to accept the impossible but not the improbable. For instance, you can have a man fly but you can't have him open a safe by accidentally happening across the combination by accident.
I always liked Ivan Reitman's rule when he was discussing Ghostbusters. He said that when dealing with suspension of disbelief, he expects the audience to accept one impossible element of the plot. In the case of Ghostbusters, it's the notion that ghosts exist and you can catch them. If you can run with that, the rest of the movie works.
Old 01-08-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2. FOTR.. at the end when the two hobbits are knocking out orcs throwing rocks.

. . .

Everything else I can excuse.. but a movie like FOTR with so much time and money used to create, why this??
You can believe Legolas stand-sledding down a flight of stone stairs on a metal shield while firing arrows with lethal accuracy, but being knocked out by a thrown rock brings up doubts?
Old 01-08-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure how logical it is, and it's been a while since I read Fellowship of the Ring, but in the "Concerning Hobbits" portion of the novel, I believe Tolkien does make a comment that they are exceptionally good throwers or something like that. I went and looked it up. Here it is.

Though slow to quarrel, and for sport killing nothing that lived, they were doughty at bay, and at need could still handle arms. They shot well with the bow, for they were keen-eyed and sure at the mark. Not only with bows and arrows. If any Hobbit stooped for a stone, it was well to get quickly under cover, as all trespassing beats knew very well.
Also, isn't the stone-throwing in FOTR only in the extended edition? Perhaps PJ left it out of the theatrical cut exactly because it might seem a bit silly to most movie-goers, and maybe he figured those watching the EE would be a bit more familiar with the novel and thus able to accept the scene.

Last edited by Corvin; 01-08-05 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-08-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Corvin
Also, isn't the stone-throwing in FOTR only in the extended edition? Perhaps PJ left it out of the theatrical cut exactly because it might seem a bit silly to most movie-goers, and maybe he figured those watching the EE would be a bit more familiar with the novel and thus able to accept the scene.
I think Corvin just called you a Tolkien n00b.

Old 01-08-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rivero
Peregrin Took and Meriadoc Brandybuck are the two physically strongest halflings in the Shire. Tolkien details in the Book One chapter 'A Conspiracy Unmasked' how a year prior to the four hobbits meeting in Crickhollow, Merry and Pippin placed first and second place respectively in the Shot Put competition at the Hobbiton Olympics, throwing the hardest and the furthest out of all of the hobbits in the Shire. Pippin even screams a declarative "O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!" before each of his throws, evocing the name of one of the mighty Valar of Middle-Earth. It's Chapter Five if you want to look it up.

This is the only appropriate response.
Old 01-08-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never understood how through all that fighting Legolas doesn't ever get a scratch or any mark at all.
Old 01-08-05, 02:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
This has a lot of truth. For me, I am willing to buy fantastic/sci-fi elements in a story. But when the real world elements (things that we have in real life) are out of whack I won't buy it. For example, on the show Buffy I will buy that there are demons, vampires, etc. But it is still absurd IMO when they can punch up the blueprints to any building in the city within seconds by getting on the internet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.